Galactic Command Gearing Changes, 5.1 and Beyond

EricMusco

Or

I can leave the game, which I'll probably do.

This dev team is sure weird

Leaving is my choice and the choice of lots of people who've already gone. This "fix" isn't going to bring them back. Nothing like claiming to listen while you have your fingers in your ears.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't understand this. They get rid of crystals and commendations because they were too confusing and now we get this even more confusing system with how many different pieces to it?

At this point, it's clear that GC has failed. I really wish the devs would just eat some humble pie and put everything back the way it used to be.

Did you actually take the time to do the math that goes with this "fix"? If you did, you wouldn't be so happy with it.

I'm happy they're doing something. In 83 command crates on my main I've gotten 4 set pieces. This has to be an improvement because there is a way to grind a specific piece now. The rng as it currently is will still be there. Therefore I deem these changes an improvement. Is it as easy as 4.0? No. Since I didn't do ops before that I couldn't speak for 3.0 or before. As I said I was a story/solo player for a very long time.

Question Eric! What about those of us who have gotten high in ranks? Will we be compensated for the tokens we missed out on from each rank up prior to what where we are now? Example I'm at rank 54 will I be awarded the tokens from rank 1-54 or no?

They said the tokens will be granted retroactively for all toons.

I'm happy they're doing something. In 83 command crates on my main I've gotten 4 set pieces. This has to be an improvement because there is a way to grind a specific piece now. The rng as it currently is will still be there. Therefore I deem these changes an improvement. Is it as easy as 4.0? No. Since I didn't do ops before that I couldn't speak for 3.0 or before. As I said I was a story/solo player for a very long time.

In about 60 crates over three characters I have 2 set pieces.

This isn't better, it's just aimed at making you think they've done something. Go back, do the math and look at what drops where. Then do the math on how long it's going to take. I'm not doing, it's not worth paying for. I certainly won't reward BW with my money for this kind of a mess.

The one positive thing I will say about the GC System. I have acquired gear I need faster with this system than in 4.0. Mainly because I quit the game. I have only logged in once since two weeks after launch and that was to handle some guild transfer stuff.

I have no problem with this system at all. It did it's job and killed SWTOR for me.

Job well done!

As an aside for Eric: After the 5.1 release it would probably be best to start putting together your excuse list for the execs in corporate. I mean you convinced them (according to the shareholder's letter), that you implemented (and I paraphrase here) a new end game model that would keep subscribers, subscribed longer and therefore increase revenues. We KNOW it is doing the opposite, so you best get Ben working on the excuse list....

And before you dismiss my suggestion, know that I am one of those unfortunate customers that is also a shareholder... so you never know if I might just get on a quarterly shareholder's call and pop a question in there on how well the new end game scheme is doing since it was mentioned in the shareholder's letter.... Oh, the joys of working for a public company.

As a boss once said to me when I worked in the world of big, public corporations, "There is nothing worse than a knowledgeable shareholder." What he was referring to was customers of the company who also happened to be shareholders. Those in Austin need to heed that advice even if you ignore the other 1,000 suggestion being made.

Edited by Wayshuba

Not good enough Eric to stay subbed. But i hope for your sake there will be "enough" of those who enjoy this grindy rng system....

Personally, I hope enough people unsub to get EA to clean house at BWA. Then we might get a team that will make the game something worth subbing for.

I have no problem with this system at all. It did it's job and killed SWTOR for me.

Job well done!

I have a problem with it because it killed the game for me. But like you, I'm out. I've logged in to help my raid team, but one member is out already, one in 9 days, me in 18, another in 40 and one in the next couple of weeks, but I don't know exactly how many days. BW's lack of really listening has cost them a bunch of subs and more on the way out. My guild is averaging losing one qualified account a day at this point. It's a guild from well before launch. That doesn't bode well for the mess SWTOR has become.

Edited by DanNV

And before you dismiss my suggestion, know that I am one of those unfortunate customers that is also a shareholder... so you never know if I might just get on a quarterly shareholder's call and pop a question in there on how well the new end game scheme is doing since it was mentioned in the shareholder's letter.... Oh, the joys of working for a public company.

Write letters to the President, CEO and Board of Directors. As a share holder you'll get more attention than those of us who aren't. I was actually looking at EA stock but decided to hold off. Any company that can so thoroughly screw up a game based on the most lucrative IP in history is one I'm not sure I want to invest in.

Write letters to the President, CEO and Board of Directors. As a share holder you'll get more attention than those of us who aren't. I was actually looking at EA stock but decided to hold off. Any company that can so thoroughly screw up a game based on the most lucrative IP in history is one I'm not sure I want to invest in.

Nah, always better to do it on open shareholders call. Executives NEVER like to be embarrassed in front of the other shareholders. Letters get filed and ignored and only you and the exec know it happened.

Instead of getting 5 guaranteed pieces per op, you get like 3 on average, schematics, and CXP which also gives you gear and schematics. On top of that you can fill in a missing piece by just doing a PvP or GSF weekly.

Sounds good to me?

Edited by Eli_Porter

Hey folks,

Since the launch of Knights of the Eternal Throne, we have received a lot of great feedback about the gearing changes we made through Galactic Command. In this post, I want to highlight the changes we are making next week. However, we know this will not address all of your concerns, so let’s also talk about additional changes we plan to make.

Our primary goal for Game Update 5.1: Defend the Throne was to allow players to work towards specific pieces of gear through PvP and Operations. Additionally, we wanted to provide a means to help players gear their other Characters. Here are the changes coming next week:

• New currency: Command Tokens - This currency comes from Command Crates. Each Crate will drop Command Tokens based on the Tier of the Crate (Tier 1 – 5 tokens, Tier 2 – 8 tokens, Tier 3 – 12 tokens). These tokens are a Legacy-wide currency and will be retroactively granted (based on your Command Rank) when 5.1 launches.
  • New currency: Unassembled Components – This currency is a reward for playing Warzones and Galactic Starfighter and can be used to purchase Unassembled Gear Pieces.
  • New currency: Unassembled Gear Piece - These drop from Operation bosses or are purchased with Unassembled Components and can be turned in along with Command Tokens for specific pieces of gear. The last boss of each Operation has a 100% chance to drop Unassembled Gear Pieces (2 pieces for 8-man, 4 pieces for 16-man). Each other boss in an Operation has an increasing chance to drop them (the second boss having a higher chance than the first boss, and so on). Refer to this forum post to see where each item slot will drop.

With these new currencies, players will be able to go to new vendors and purchase specific items. Here are some of the vendor details:

• Unassembled Component Vendor: On this vendor you can turn in Unassembled Components to purchase a specific Unassembled Gear Piece. You can only purchase Tier 1 Unassembled Pieces in this way. However, you can turn in Tier 1 pieces along with Unassembled Components to upgrade them to Tier 2 and 3 respectively. Refer to this forum post for more details on this vendor.
  • Unassembled Gear Piece Vendor: With this vendor you can turn in one Unassembled Gear Piece for a specific slot (ex: Unassembled Helm Tier 1) along with Command Tokens for that respective piece of gear. Refer to this forum post for more details on this vendor.

The changes listed above are really focused on allowing players to work towards a specific piece of gear. However, we also wanted to allow players to level their alts a bit quicker and so here are some of the changes coming for that:

• New Character Legacy Perk: Increase all Command XP Earned by 2/4/6/8/10%.
  • New Command XP Boost: This can be purchased with Command Tokens and provides a 15% boost (this boost stacks with the Legacy perk but not the MTX boost). This boost only works per Tier at the following costs:
    • Tier 1 – 20 Command Tokens
    • Tier 2 – 28 Command Tokens
    • Tier 3 – 44 Command Tokens

The above changes are coming next week with Game Update 5.1! Additional concerns you have raised are listed below:

Operations Lacking for CXP

We have been looking at all of the places that players can earn CXP and although our intent is that Operations (especially Veteran/Master) would be the best source of CXP, that is not true currently. We have been working to rebalance the CXP gains of Operations across the board so that they are at least on-par with the best sources of CXP in the game. We plan to include these changes with Patch 5.1.1, but we will give you more information on scheduling once we lock it down.

Galactic Command Gearing Alt-unfriendly

One of the biggest concerns expressed is Galactic Command forces a player into working only on one character. Although that wasn’t our intention, we agree with you. For starters, in 5.1 we are implementing the Legacy-wide currency of Command Tokens, legacy bound boosts you can purchase with Command Tokens, and the legacy perk to speed up leveling. We know that isn’t enough, so we are exploring additional options so that when you are playing any character, there is a way to potentially provide benefit to all other characters in your legacy as well. I have no specifics to share at this time, but I am working to have more details available for our January 26th Livestream.

Command Rank Leveling Speed

We monitor Command Ranks across the game, along with player feedback on the rate at which players are leveling. The Legacy perk and additional boost will help speed up leveling, but we will continue to review. Let’s see how it feels after 5.1. We’ll discuss with you and make further adjustments, if needed.

New Endgame Content

We know addressing the gearing concerns is only half of the equation. Whether it came from the forums, social media, or even focus groups, the feedback is that you want more large group and MMO content such as daily areas and Operations. We will be discussing these very topics in our Livestream next Thursday, January 26, 2017, so come join us!

We want to thank all of your for your continued feedback about Galactic Command. Please keep it coming!

-eric

Hi Eric,

you've said in the live stream you will be discussing large group MMO content.

Will you also be addressing the server population issue and people being stuck on dead servers through no fault of their own. It's hard to play large group MMO content if you have no one to play with.

Lots of us are wondering if you will look at doing mergers or implement a free legacy transfer system for people to move completely of those dead servers.

I like these changes. The caveat I have centers around hard mode flashpoints and by extension (even if I absolutely hate them) veteran uprisings: why don't they drop off these to a lesser extent?

Edit: add the eternal championship to the list as well and other pieces of content like star fortresses.

Edited by Shwarzchild

The PVE/operations side of things has gotten much better, admittedly, but the PVP front looks bleak.

It will take 1,940 warzones to complete a full st of gear

(assuming that you get an equal number of arenas and warzones, and have a 2:1 win/loss ratio). 1940 warzones equates to roughly 485 hours of your time, or AU$9700 salary at Australian minimum wage.

For more perspective: the biggest achievement for "warzone matches played" is 1000.

This is very much annoying on te PVP front.