Gear RNG in 5.0 is a Bad Idea

DarthOvertone

Even if this RNG provided only gear viable for the advance class, that does not mean that it will drop the gear that you need. You might get accuracy gear when you are trying to gear your character has a healer, or you are short on crit., but you keep getting alacrity pieces, or you never got a main hand weapon after two months of trying.

Have you considered... that might be the point?

Bioware doesn't want everyone gearing up too fast and noticing the lack of anything new... so by making it take longer, they think it'll keep people busy hunting for that "one perfect item".

They might be right, lots of people are mice on the treadmill...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see this as fantastic. Nobody will have gear so we'll just get it when it comes and it won't be a big deal. There's no new difficult challenges to face so I'm not worried about how fast I gear up.

FYI, I said and did the same thing in 4.0. I even passed on a few highlighted hard mode EV's early on because the gear just didn't matter.

But 6 months from now, I'll likely be better geared than ever from playing whatever content strikes my fancy. That's good news to me.

Neat! You and the other 2 people in the games population who agree with you will have a grand 'ole time gearing up on the dead servers.

Just wait till PvEers are out gearing the PvPers and just steam rolling them because it will take longer to get gear thru specifically PvP activities then PvE... Mark my words, this argument is coming back to a forum near you...

Of course if they make it faster thru PvP, PvP players will be screamin about the scrubs in matches just tryin to get gear. And PvE players screamin that the fastest viable way to get gear is thru PvP...

If a pve hero ever beat me in pvp I'd be ashamed to ever step foot into a warzone ever again. I don't care how much better his gear is, skill > gear

RNG Gearing is extremely frustrating.

Choosing (even if it is restricted to your class) is more personal.

I am more attached to a character for which i have carefully chosen every token than if i did only picked randomly the items.

Bioware doesn't want everyone gearing up too fast and noticing the lack of anything new... so by making it take longer, they think it'll keep people busy hunting for that "one perfect item".

What does that make you? After all you are still on the treadmill!

I'm going to have to agree that RNG gear is not fun and frustrating. Even while levelling up, it feels like 3 times out of 5, I get the wrong gear from heroic lockboxes. I really don't need to see that in the end-game. I'd much rather have a token based system.

BW/EA RNG is one of the worst ... question will be how bad:

Option 1 (Mass Effect 3 MP): the chances of getting a piece of BiS-gear are slim BUT if you have say the chest already you cannot get that specific piece again, you will get another piece ... so there is a valid chance that you get all pieces eventually

Option 2 (Dragon Age Inquisition MP): the chances of getting a piece of gear are slim AND even if you already have a certain chestpiece you can get it again and again and again and again... so there is a NO valid chance that you EVER get all pieces eventually

I just hope it is option 1

Edited by Dekibra

I thought it would be RNG like heroics for subs, you if your AC is tank or dps they let you pick one, then it is random what parts you get.

I do not see it being total RNG, would make far too many people mad getting tank gear when your a dps, how many people would instantly just give up if you spent say a hour as a dps in ops and getting tank parts.

The gear RNG sucks on so many levels. While it does look at your AC, you still end up with two idiotic options. One option is that (unless you are a Marauder or a Sniper) you end with the wrong set bonus and wrong stats. The other one is that you cannot gear your off-spec without actually playing. I seriously hope there are some choices you can make here, even if just to replace the non-decisions we had to make in KotFE.

Do these guys not remember 1.0? It was THE WORST loot system put in place at the time, and this is worse than that. I would rather have items specific to a raid drop from bosses, much like WoW used to do when I played (unsure if they still do that).

The hard part with that, is that you have to have a big loot table to make things rare, and SWTOR doesn't have that.

I have considered your points, and I don't see anything positive in what you have said here.

For the love of god, I beg you to reconsider this decision... RNG gearing is the worst gearing system you can have! Have you forgoten about the massive issues with gear bags at launch?! I am a founder and played since launch with some breaks and I sure as hell remember! It was horrible. And also do not forget that your players left the game because of that as well!

BW/EA RNG is one of the worst ... question will be how bad:

Option 1 (Mass Effect 3 MP): the chances of getting a piece of BiS-gear are slim BUT if you have say the chest already you cannot get that specific piece again, you will get another piece ... so there is a valid chance that you get all pieces eventually

Option 2 (Dragon Age Inquisition MP): the chances of getting a piece of gear are slim AND even if you already have a certain chestpiece you can get it again and again and again and again... so there is a NO valid chance that you EVER get all pieces eventually

I just hope it is option 1

We need someone that can tell us how many boxes you have to open on average to get all the 14 parts for a gearset :)

In both scenarios.

And if it's by advanced class it will be how many you need to open to get all the dps or tank parts out of 28 possible items... The pure dps classes will have a big advantage if that's the case.

Been leveiling some toons for the DvL event just using Heroics after story quests was done, and you get a fair bit of crates doing that until your lvl 61?, still have toons with lvl 40ish imp and or relics. And in Heroics you get to chose the dps or tank box....

I think everyone agrees RNG is a bad idea. Hopefully they change this before or immediately after launch because people will burn out as soon as they get duplicate drops ten times in a row trying to fill their last slot. Since they move to packs that means they can easily change what drops from packs. IMO every pack should let you choose at least one piece of gear and then have everything else in it be random. Or at least let us choose from different types of packs to cut RNG. The fact that they didn't actually show what is in a pack on stream means it is still TBD and hopefully they don't launch 5.0 with a broken system in place.

I think everyone agrees RNG is a bad idea. SNIP...

I think the majority does for sure.

I imagine it like the cartel market crates. You get them hoping for something good but it just never happens. You consistently get junk you don't need. A constant gamble of getting something you actually want. In the end you stop buying them because you finally see there not worth the gamble because it's designed against you.

That command crates will be similar. A gamble for something your class can use and need but designed against you.

When BW says there is a chance you may not ever get the gear you need because of bad luck, you can expect it to happen.

There are bad design decisions coming from BW but this random loot crate, end game gear drop is one of the worst ever.

Threw 2 suggestions together and put them in a thread in the Suggestion Box.

Basically if they are going to go this route, I recommend gear based on Discipline not AC and that there should be some amount of intermediate rewards that give non-RNG gearing we can rely on (even if not a full set bonus gear set).

Edited by azudelphi

RNG gearing has been tried and it failed...in THIS game!!! This is such a horrendously BAD idea, I can't imagine how the hell anyone got it approved. TERRIBLE idea.

It depends on how effective the RNG mitigation mechanisms are. We know there is at least one, the "disintegrate" button. There are others possible, including allowing armor plates stripped from one slot item to be able to be used in another slot item. The command stash is a potential RNG mitigation mechanism, depending on implementation details.

It also depends on what the acquisition rate of crates is. Is gaining a GC level targeted at one a day at the high end? One a week?

Also, how available will crafted end-game stat gear be? Right now it's not very. Will this change?

While I'm not going to be thrilled to my toes with RNG gear, the answers to these questions will determine how not-thrilled I am.

I am not thrilled by this change. However, like so many other changes in this and other MMOs over the years, I am reserving judgment until I see the system in action.

Firmly in "wait and see" mode.

The problem is, we HAVE seen this system before in this game - it was removed for a VERY good reason...it SUCKS! RNG loot boxes have been proven to fail in this game. That's why we don't have them for PvP gear any longer.