Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW

Renifizzle

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the moment not many even know what augments are for. I keep seeing items in the market with a rare crit augment slot in it, being sold for the exact same price of a copy without the augment. Even crafter don't seem to notice.

Give it time though. Later on when end level gear with augment slots is highly prized, the augments you get from slicing will be in high demand as well.

Sometimes when you craft an item it will be of exceptional quality. It will have an augment slot. That is where you put the augments in. Without the augment that exceptional item is no different than a normally crafted item.

Also I've gotten Synthweaving and armortech schematics from slicing.

Are Bioware complete newbies that they weren't aware of what slicing rewards were? That they suddenly needed to break the skill completely one week into the game? I mean come on.

Thanks a lot, I've been buying resources for prices I thought were fair, based on what I could earn with slicing.. now all those resources are worth far, far less. Not cool.

I agree slicing might have needed a wee nerf, but you broke slicing, it's basically next to worthless now, I can't even do missions anymore.

Seriously-- this change just made me love SWTOR a little less.

I still like the game- but a big plus for me was the feeling of autonomy slicing gave my characters in the world of purchasing skills/gear/mounts/ anything.

It was a positive addition to the MMO experience, and it fulfilled a need that a lot of people appreciated.

SCREW THIS-- OCCUPY BIOWARE BEGINS NOW! WE ARE THE 99%!

Um, no, it is not. I really don't appreciate you calling me a liar. I am about as honest of a person as you can find in this world (to a fault according to my friends and family), and it carries over into the game and onto the web. Just because I'm an unknown on the web doesn't change my values. You obviously wouldn't know that because you don't know me, just as I don't know you, but I would never ever call someone a liar without solid proof. I have no reason to lie about something that is quite trivial in the grand scope of things. My little comment is not going to make them decide to add more nodes or whatever it is you think I'm trying to gain from said comment. The only thing this affects is that I will no longer buy stuff off of the GTN at this moment, which quite honestly isn't going to make my world collapse. I was simply stating my experience. Someone else was helpful enough to inform me that they found a lot of boxes in later levels for which I thanked them.

If you have been lucky enough to find a lot more nodes during these lower to mid levels, then I'm happy for you. Just please do not assume every single person in this game has your exact experience.

Nope you must be lieing or just not that good at looking at the minimap Because the nodes for slicing are EVERYWHERE. Now if you stated that you found a bunch but they were glicthed I would believe you 1/2 I found on early planets was glitched.

These forums used to be absolutely littered with slicing QQers including threads that provided outright incorrEct implications of nerfing.

Now that they needed slicing into oblivion we Are delegated into the corner and ignored.

This is just a bad presadence to cave to the whiners so fast and ruin our gameplay. Let me turn my 325 slicing into another skill and I wouldn't care but now u just flushed all that work down the toilet and we don't even any compensation except being stuck with level 325 of a useless skill.

And no I didn't make hundreds of thousands off slicing I've only been able to play about 40 hours because of the holidays and family I was just getting going

I was supporting some scavenger in his craft and now that's over. Everyone was so concerned about economy collapse well now u going to see it for real you destroyed the consumers and now we have only producerS. Econ101...

On a smartphone

Edit: let me just add I have defended this game at almost every turn but this is not the way to please your customers

Edited by inseeisyou

SCREW THIS-- OCCUPY BIOWARE BEGINS NOW! WE ARE THE 99%!

I hope I'm not the 1% of the community that understands that slicing was broken pre-patch. That reflects really poorly on the community.

Unlike Wall Street, slicing is now balanced. Get out of it now or stick it out til players hit max level and start demanding augments.

Edited by Lord_Itharius

The guy who made this document has been updating it since the servers went live. Not sure if he posted here or not, but here you go. You can click on the pre nerf version as well. Looks like more than a 50% nerf to me. More like 66% nerf. If that is the case, it's not even worth doing anymore. Edited by Ashanor

this is a good thing.. slicing was way overbalanced and gave an unfair advantage and would have ruined the game economy if they had not fixed it .. it IS now more in line with the other skills. Sorry about all you crybabies who want the "get rich quick" scheme without actually working for it.

Slicing was never a get rich quick scheme...While it brought in decent credits it doesn't compare at all to other credit generation methods including the GTN.

Nerfing slicing was completely unnecessary...sure a person could rack up a good credit account if all they did was afk and keep sending their people out on missions but with how broken the GTN is and most crafting in general they typically have nothing to spend those credits on anyways.

Fixing the GTN and maybe make craft levelling a bit more reasonable would be a far better use of BW's time.

Incredibly dumb derision, slicers actually held up economy buy buying crafters stuff.

OH LOL... When developers learn something, they don't care about game breaking bugs but they do afraid that players get rich. Credits, it's a digital junk for crying out loud. And they have to over do, just in case, perhaps it wasn't good nerf enough.

Now I see what direction this game is taking. Let's see what 20'th January brings. :D

Wait, the missions I'm sending my companions off on specifically say "lockboxes" I don't see any slicing missions to "gather" schematics or missions. If a lockbox isn't the purpose of a mission to collect a lockbox then I'm confused...

You get the missions and schematics on a critical success. Augments you get by running augment missions.

These forums used to be absolutely littered with slicing QQers including threads that provided outright incorrEct implications of nerfing.

Now that they needed slicing into oblivion we Are delegated into the corner and ignored.

This is just a bad presadence to cave to the whiners so fast and ruin our gameplay. Let me turn my 325 slicing into another skill and I wouldn't care but now u just flushed all that work down the toilet and we don't even any compensation except being stuck with level 325 of a useless skill.

And no I didn't make hundreds of thousands off slicing I've only been able to play about 40 hours because of the holidays and family I was just getting going

I was supporting some scavenger in his craft and now that's over. Everyone was so concerned about economy collapse well now u going to see it for real you destroyed the consumers and now we have only producerS. Econ101...

On a smartphone

You do realize at this moment many of the profession are just producers and not many are able to produce product that people will buy. With the vast majority of the populations still leveling most people are not buy a whole lot. This will change down the road when the majority of the population is at max level at which point gatherers and crafters can produce products that people will buy often.

I hope I'm not the 1% of the community that understands that slicing was broken pre-patch. That reflects really poorly on the community.

Unlike Wall Street, slicing is now balanced. Get out of it now or stick it out til players hit max level and start demanding augments.

Or get a real crafting profession instead of "LOL MONEY PRINTING"

Every endgame item has an augment slot if it's a crit craft or a raid artifact. That's like claiming that jewelcrafting gems in WoW are useless before people are able to use items with jewel slots.

People need to take an introduction to economics course at their local community college, imo. It will help them understand these sorts of things better. I use community college as to not sound pretentious, but I'm completely serious. I'm an English major, the last economics course I took was an AP in high school, and even I understand the ingame market.

My friend, not for me to sound pretentious, but you're a college kid. You know less than half you think you know about the world. Not your fault, it just happens that way.

Readjustment is not something that is done in one fell swoop. Constant readjustment is sometimes hard, but at the very least they should kick it back up 10-15%.

this is a good thing.. slicing was way overbalanced and gave an unfair advantage and would have ruined the game economy if they had not fixed it .. it IS now more in line with the other skills. Sorry about all you crybabies who want the "get rich quick" scheme without actually working for it.

Slicing needed a nerf, but this was overdoing it. You obviously have no clue with the skill. It IS NOT in line with other skills, but actually under it now. Thanks to all you "crybabies," we now have a useless skill. Get to 50 and see how things balance out before complaining about OP-ness. It is pathetic that BW couldn't have learned from other games. Markets are always different than endgame, when a new game or expansion starts.

And all you slicers, dont drop it, it will get fixed in some way.

Edited by felemeria

While I agree that Slicing needed a nerf, I would like to bring up a few things I hope someone can endeavor to pursue:

First, I would very much like to remind everyone that by taking Slicing, you're not taking something that you needed for another crew skill. As someone with only character, I picked up Cybertech, Scavenging, and Slicing.

Without an Underworld Trader, it sent me to other people to buy their Underworld Goods.

A decent amount of the profit I turned was in turn spent on supplying myself with the crafting materials I could not gather myself.

The nerf means if I wish to keep Slicing, I must continue to buy Underworld Trading items (or level up another toon), decreasing my rate of profit further.

I wish someone could get a good idea what the average profit per hour or minute would be for people using other gathering skills and selling their items on the AH, just to get a better idea of where this falls compared to other skills. And keep in mind that those who pick up Slicing, are likely sacrificing a gathering skill they would otherwise need.

I believe Slicing needed to be nerfed, but I still think it needs a stronger incentive to take it since by taking it, you're already losing out somewhere. I'd be content, however, if it just netted the same profits you could have by selling gathering items on the Trade.

Nope you must be lieing or just not that good at looking at the minimap Because the nodes for slicing are EVERYWHERE. Now if you stated that you found a bunch but they were glicthed I would believe you 1/2 I found on early planets was glitched.

I've never seen anything on my minimap. Is there some setting I need to have checked for that? If so, I don't have it checked. I cannot look right now because I'm at work. If that's the case, that's the first thing I will do when I get into the game next. Admittedly, one of the first things I did when getting into the game was uncheck many things from the minimap because it was too crowded, so if it's located in there and I didn't know what it was, I may have unchecked it. And again, please stop with the "you must be lying" (fixed your spelling) and general putting down attitude because this is a new game and I will be the first to admit that I don't know everything about it.

And just a quick note, you could have simply said something along the lines of, "The nodes should appear on your minimap, so there may be something you need to have checked." This would go a long way in your presentation to people. Just saying.

My friend, not for me to sound pretentious, but you're a college kid. You know less than half you think you know about the world. Not your fault, it just happens that way.

Readjustment is not something that is done in one fell swoop. Constant readjustment is sometimes hard, but at the very least they should kick it back up 10-15%.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt that Slicing may be necessary.

But how it was before was too much. And you should NOT be a positive return from mission skills. Especially since you can just log onto an alt, put your companions on a mission skill and go back to what you were doing.

Instead, if you want to directly make money from Slicing, you should get it directly from nodes out in the world. That will help keep it more moderate and not overly easy.

What really bothers me about this:

That this was implemented with no visible real afterthought.

Might as well remove slicing completely now, there is no use anymore.

If you end up losing credits or have a higher chance losing overall, there is no sense in continuing it, is there? Ever thought of that?

I ran a series of documented slicing missions, pre and post nerf, 50 of them and I am down 3200 some odd credits. Why nerf it almost 50%? Come on - do some math beforehand...this really bugs me.

Was Slicing in need of a nerf? Sure - but this much? hell no!

To all the whining kiddies that got rich from their tradecrafts (not slicing) - pull the straps on tight fools, your gonna have a tough time selling your crap soon, as soon as the cash runs out from people that made hundreds of thousands using slicing.

No one in his right mind will have an alt running slicing missions, and hence, your valueable goods are no longer being bought without afterthought.

3) To Bioware - thanks for keeping it up with the rest of the gimp mmos. Destroying something in-game under the umbrella of "fixing" because people in your house are not able to do the math for one and secondly, because you cave in to the school children that cry because slicing was profitable, more profitable than their little geeky tradecraft.

I have 8 characters all with Slicing...When something is overpowered in an MMO, you use the hell out of it until they hit it with the nerfbat, then get back to playing normally.
Obviously that was the problem.

They're not doing themselves any favors by valuing a shallow offline crafting system so highly.

I'd rather see that go than see the only crew skill I planned on using pre-50 nerfed into uselessness. They should be expanding content, not limiting it.

Here's my idea for a proper fix. Replace lockbox missions with hacking missions where the reward is a schematic or mission and possibly the occasional lockbox as the critical success reward for both hacking and augment missions.

It would still piss off all the people looking to for free credits, but the rest of us who took it for the schematics and augments will be able to better get what we are looking for. The credits would be a nice bonus from time to time. We'd be providing valuable schematics and missions for other crafters and it would stop the inflation issue.

Overall the overreaction to this seems silly. Alot of people QQ'ing about loseing something that they could make easy profit on. Any profession that warrents freed credits and allows for mass amount of credits to be earned actually destroys the trade. If you have massive ammounts of money in the game the prices of items in the auction house skyrocted because of avliable credits. Once a server has a high number of 50's the overall demand for lower level mats Decreases. This creats a huge inflation where you have a low demand item at an insainly high price. Low level characters who dident have sliceing couldent afford the auction house and the items they could make would be in little to no demand. They would be starved of gold.

This would prompt everyone to get slicing cause otherwise your broke. Which is another nightmare. IF everyone has credits on mass scale inflation is increased. All MMO's are based on an infinate currency system. This is why money dumps like gear repair mount training, mounts and vanity items come into play, they allow the credits to pass to npc hands and vanish. This keeps balance of the system and keeps the variables from server to server Trade networks roughly the same.

Believe it or not alot of macro economics have to go into money systems like this to keep things balanced. It was wrong for bioware to have sliceing as it was in the first place. This was nefed so quickly because they wanted the server balance not to go to far off whack.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So in the end what does this nerf mean?

-The prices for epic missions is going to skyrocket to compinsate for the large cost of gathering these items.

-Sliceing is now like scavenging, you will do most of it and its leveling in feild, running missions for augments and more epic loot.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The benefits of slicing are as follows:

-Sliceing is a way to do field gathering without haveing to auction your work for cash. The loot is already cashed for you.

-Slceing can proved mission quests and paterns for other crafters, as well as has a lower inherent cost per mission as each mission can bring you back a lock box (IE: your mission cost is 2000, you recieve your mission back as a lockbock with 1300, mission cost is 600 credits)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

on a final note, most people wouldent have a problem with slicing if this is how it was originally set up. As it is still a new and inventive idea. The fact that slicing neted the blind ammounts of mass profit it did and then nerfed it, changes peoples perspective.

I typed alot and misspelled a ton but i hope this explains things.

Obviously that was the problem.

They're not doing themselves any favors by valuing a shallow offline crafting system so highly.

I'd rather see that go than see the only crew skill I planned on using pre-50 nerfed into uselessness. They should be expanding content, not limiting it.

Maybe it is time to repurpose slicing then to something other than printing money.

I still do not see anybody taking into account the fact that Slicing is a gathering profession and that you can go and harvest nodes in the world that cost no money and give you a decent amount of credits.

There is alot of omg missions got nerfed and yes they did, but does the fact that you can get credits for free from farming nodes offset that?

I know from my low level slicer that I could get anywhere from 150-250 credits from harvesting in Dromund Kaas. Sometimes I got more if I was lucky. Cost to me to get that was nothing.