Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW

Renifizzle

BW-

I understand you may not actively recruit and employ economists at BW, but seriously guys... you ruined the DAOC economy years ago and your doing it again here a week into the game. :confused:

It is way to early to be swinging the nerf bat.

With negative lockbox returns you can bet slicers will be making that money up elseware...

Get ready to see crew missions absolutely drastically sky rocket...

Edited by CapC

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who in this thread is actually 50? Do you realize that by doing missions and not crafting at 50 you will have near or over 2 million credits. Slicing at 400 sending out 3 companions to gather was only netting me around 8-10k an hour. MUCH MUCH less than if I was actually out killing mobs or doing PvP. The benefits of slicing was only good until the mid 30s or so when mobs start to drop near 1k per kill then it was a throw away skill for a secondary crafting skill (Like Diplomacy for Biochem). Now slicing is and always will be 100% useless unless you don't mind doing 10-15 missions at a loss for a mission skill that sells for little to nothing or a cybertech recipe that will most likely not sell (I sold a few of the level 40 and 50 speeder plans for 500 a piece).

Who here actually buys the mission skills? Those need a MAJOR boost and the recipes over all need to be doubled or tripled in drop rate for slicing to even be a skill that loses a majority of the money rather than all.

Can we get confirmation that Slicing is working as intended?

A money-making skill that doesn't make money boggles me.

I don't think it was ever intended to be an extremely exploitable money-for-free skill you could utilize without putting any effort into it...its implementation prior to now had been problematic--maybe not in the long term (I've heard some excellent arguments regarding the benefits of inflation), but in the short term. It was far too strong for the leveling stage.

So long as they emphasize the other dimensions of slicing--the non-money-for-free part, then it'll be fine.

So basically slicing gets nerfed because of all the people complaining that other people have more money than them. Now slicing doesn't make any money so everyone can have no money.

I think one important thing that is being overlooked is who is buying all the crafting mats and expensive items on the AH? Who is really funding the economy not ruining it? Obviously slicers are the ones spending all the money on AH. I would bet that the majority of the money spent on the AH is from slicers. Then if that is the case it means the game's economy just took a huge hit. Or course the only way to test this would be to let the slicers suffer for a few weeks and then check the results. Honestly though I don't think that is going to be the case. Come on BW the best kind of nerfs are subtle and surgical not a carpet bombing on my pocket book.

Now you're like every other craft where you don't earn money going on missions.

Yeah but other crafts give you items to craft With. Unless you crit on a lock box mission it is just a pure credit sink no benefit no nothing. Did you not think for a few seconds before posting?

So long as the role of augments is increased and mission drops are more common, slicing will be much more in-line economically and still bring something of value in.

Also, just a note to all you doing numerical comparisons. Please stop exaggerating your losses, overemphasizing the cost of missions, and picking the absolute worst missions to run your analysis on. Out of all the slicing comparisons I've seen so far, only a few actually use the right missions.

Automated Saboteur, Prince of Fools, Fly in the Wall, Taking Back Control, Pointing Fingers, and Careful What You Read (in about that order, depending on circumstances) were the only ones really worth running, even before the changes. So if you're going to run missions and talk about how little you get now, please do run the right ones.

Remember not all missions are available on both sides.

Automated Saboteur is still a 1k + / mission profit. But only Imperial.

At the level he's running them, the average mission time is between 20-30 minutes, probably closer to 25 minutes a mission. Certainly not great profit margins. So at the end of the day slicing is still what it was pre patch. It's a crew skill for leveling but when you hit 50 (especially now) the other crew skills are going to blow it away in terms of profit margins because of the demand for rare resources.

Once again, the short sighted sheeple get their way. Doesn't change much though, I was going to drop slicing for some other gathering crew skill at 50 anyway.

I swear everyone is ignoring the big picture here.

Slicing is still CLOSE TO THE SAME as it was before this nerf, for the average slicer.

You know the missions that take a half hour? They were bad missions to take for profit, because the credits per minute was so low for them. These missions remain mostly unchanged after this nerf.

Having high credits per minute is how you make tons of credits over your gameday. Maybe you're making 3k credits an hour from two lvl 400 slicing missions, but if you're making 100 credits per minute from fast, low level missions, you're making a much bigger profit.

This is where BW nerfed slicing the most. It is NO LONGER POSSIBLE to make a huge credit per minute profit from lower level slicing missions. That glaring hole that people kept using to become millionaires has been closed.

I tracked slicing on a spreadsheet, so far returns are 80% less than they were pre patch. This was not a nerf it was the destruction of the ability. I find it hard to believe there was any testing/thought put into this at all. FYI this is even worse for the crafters because now the slicers have no money either, which means no one to sell your stuff too. When everyone is poor there is no economy, when some are wealthy and the others can make goods there are exchanges.

I don't think that slicing was the a major issue before except for the extremist who had it on every character and ran it 24/7 I mean sure you make a fair profit but look at skills costing 10k per to train thats 2 hours of slicing at 400 with no crits. Slicing is nice yes but at high levels you would except high outcome right? If anything make it harder to level up but at max level you should get a good amount of profit.

Slicing was just a bad idea in general.

I really think that they should have axed it before launch so that we didn't have the baggage of the people who actually leveled it.

I guess the best we can do now is just the strangle its profits until it is no longer used.

More than likely the people in your guild were just casual slicers, and sliced without much of notice for patterns and maximizing profit. If they were sending companions out for lvl 400 missions for instance, they are more than likely in this group. This nerf has affected these types very little.

Others, like me, found patterns in slicing and maximized their profits. I was making almost half a million per day. I am already noticing the patterns I used before have been drastically nerfed to more normal levels. I am still making a profit, but it's been nerfed by at least 80%.

but your still making profit right? thats the point right there alot of these people are saying they are getting NO profit and LOOSING MONEY and you clearly from what you just said are still making a profit.

If you want a 100% profit from slicing, then run around the world and gather like everyone else.

My slicer right now is level 26. During leveling, I have run across exactly 7 things to slice while leveling out in the world since head start began. If this was a bug that has been fixed in this latest patch, then great. If it's because the nodes have been picked over before I got there, then it doesn't do me any good while leveling. I've even run around after finishing quests in an area to see if I could find things to slice (assuming it was because they had been picked over), hoping to find some but still with no luck. At least in other MMOs, even with high populations running around gathering the same things, I never had a problem finding nodes to gather regardless of what they were.

I'm hoping this patch did something to at least give more of these nodes or faster respawn rates.

Hmm, yeah gonna drop slicing aswell now.

I mostly consider myself a crafter, however during beta i found it very difficult to sustain a reasonable amount of credits whilst crafting. Sending companions on missions or purchasing from the auctions soon became pritty expensive to the point that i could no longer sustain basic gameplay via purchasing skills, inventory upgrades etc.

Next i just considered not bothering with crafting, which as many have stated seems resonable enough, since you can get gear just as easily via drops and commendations.

During launch i then learned about slicing, made probably a good 300k over a week, of which half of that was used to purchase craft materials. Now? I wont be purchasing craft materials, I most likely wont be crafting, I am now back in the situation i was in during beta.

In short without a decent cash flow as a lowbie character, crafting is simply unsustainable in its current form.

It's good that slicing doesn't make a credit profit now.

Augments are always needed, and are unobtainable anywhere except Slicing. Now, people will drop slicing, and those who remain slicing will see increased demand for mission discoveries and for augments.

That's where you should earn your credits, not through lockboxes. All lockbox profit does is inflate credits and destroy the economy.

I'll be dropping slicing for diplomacy so I can craft my biochem rares, and to support people who choose to remain slicing.

basically my guild had 2 slicers me being one of them. we did missions and when we got bonus quest that helped out others we would send them to the guild member so that they could use them for there crew skills. i having taken artifice used it to build up augments to reverse engineer them into gems i could make the stat bonus's we need in the guild for our gear. of course i did missions to pay for getting money just because i wasn't using my craft to get money yet but to help out the guild. know it is pointless to have slicing on this character when i can pick up treasure hunting and get other things to help out with artifice. basically they should have nuked splicing but not to where i get no return profit on getting lock boxes. i can see if i get at least what it cost me to do missions but i dont even get that. thank you so much swtor

My slicer right now is level 26. During leveling, I have run across exactly 7 things to slice while leveling out in the world since head start began. If this was a bug that has been fixed in this latest patch, then great. If it's because the nodes have been picked over before I got there, then it doesn't do me any good while leveling. I've even run around after finishing quests in an area to see if I could find things to slice (assuming it was because they had been picked over), hoping to find some but still with no luck. At least in other MMOs, even with high populations running around gathering the same things, I never had a problem finding nodes to gather regardless of what they were.

I'm hoping this patch did something to at least give more of these nodes or faster respawn rates.

There are a LOT of lockboxes on Alderaan and Voss. I must have come across at least 50 of them, and each one gives you a lockbox worth between 500 and 1000 credits.

It's good that slicing doesn't make a credit profit now.

Augments are always needed, and are unobtainable anywhere except Slicing. Now, people will drop slicing, and those who remain slicing will see increased demand for mission discoveries and for augments.

That's where you should earn your credits, not through lockboxes. All lockbox profit does is inflate credits and destroy the economy.

I'll be dropping slicing for diplomacy so I can craft my biochem rares, and to support people who choose to remain slicing.

Don't forget that there are also lots of safes scattered throughout the land. You can also earn credits through that. And it is free.

I tracked slicing on a spreadsheet, so far returns are 80% less than they were pre patch. This was not a nerf it was the destruction of the ability. I find it hard to believe there was any testing/thought put into this at all. FYI this is even worse for the crafters because now the slicers have no money either, which means no one to sell your stuff too. When everyone is poor there is no economy, when some are wealthy and the others can make goods there are exchanges.

I'm betting this was an emergency change to stop people with slicing from gaining too much of an advantage too early.

Give 'em another few days to completely look at the results, crunch #s, and increase the role of the non-credits aspect of slicing. I'm guessing that in a week or so, slicing will be a tiny bit more profitable than it is now, but also have significantly higher rates of mission discoveries.

but your still making profit right? thats the point right there alot of these people are saying they are getting NO profit and LOOSING MONEY and you clearly from what you just said are still making a profit.

Over time, yes, I am still making a profit. I think some people here are seeing the occasional negative return and are freaking out without bothering to think about the big picture. If you continuously run slicing missions, the profits overtake the failed and unprofitable results, and slicing is still profitable.

I am getting about the same. It could have used a 50% reduction but 80% is over the top.