Crafting Changes in Fallen Empire

TaitWatson

So Artifice seems like it's getting shafted. No more enhancements, colour crystals are near pointless these days and relics don't apply to the "craft story mode and hard mode gear". So the only thing worth a damn there is a mastery heavy hilt and an endurance heavy hilt. 2 items while cybertech have full crafting rights to every mod and enhancement.

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a presumption in your comment. That I personally care about the exclusivity of PvP gear. I don't. I would be perfectly happy if they sold PvP gear for credits. I would be ecstatic if they rid the game of expertise.

I don't care what other people have. Why do you?

Eww. Expetise doesn't exist for exclusivity purposes. It exists to keep the method for obtaining BiS PvP gear as competing in PvP. I'm not interested in the player who crafted or raided for the best gear to have a PvP advantage.

So Artifice seems like it's getting shafted. No more enhancements, colour crystals are near pointless these days and relics don't apply to the "craft story mode and hard mode gear". So the only thing worth a damn there is a mastery heavy hilt and an endurance heavy hilt. 2 items while cybertech have full crafting rights to every mod and enhancement.

As it should be. Hilts are fat profit. No one bothers with mods so it makes sense to give enhancements to Cyber. Plus there are dyes and end-game relics (REing drops still applies). To sum up Artifice was massively OP in 3.0 and the nerf if well deserved.

Edited by Pietrastor

With the 'out with the old, in with the new' approach to most schematics - can the Artifice-crafted +41 Color Crystals be changed so that they are usable at level 10 like their CM counterparts? There's not much point to the crafted Color Crystals that give lower stats at this point.

Eww. Expetise doesn't exist for exclusivity purposes. It exists to keep the method for obtaining BiS PvP gear as competing in PvP. I'm not interested in the player who crafted or raided for the best gear to have a PvP advantage.

Right, but that's only because we have the distinction in gear. Saying "keep the method for obtaining BIS PvP gear as competing in PvP" is exclusivity. It means you have one and only one path to this gear. Again, please note I have geared a half dozen characters in T2 PvP gear so it's not like I want something for nothing. I just philosophically don't see a problem with there being multiple paths to the same goal.

I don't personally care if people have to PvP to be competitive. I would be perfectly fine with crafting, PvPing, Raiding, soloing, all ending up in the same place gear wise.

Edited by Master-Nala

I PvP and wear the T2 PvP gear, but I'll answer your question. They don't need it, neither do raiders. Raids are tuned around you having the gear and that's literally the only reason you have it. They could have one tier of gear and balance all content around that. Why don't they do that?

Because players need some sense of progression to repeat content over and over. It's the feeling of getting a little bit more powerful when they play.

MMORPGs have more and more removed the raiding gate to gear progression because for a great many people it is a turn-off. They don't want to raid and aren't going to. They'll just quit when they don't feel like they have anywhere to go. So a rational developer looks at that fact and provides an alternative pathway for people to improve their characters.

Now, if you will, can you answer the corollary question for me: Why is it so important for you that top gear remain exclusive to raiding? And please, don't say that wasn't your point. No one asks that question without holding the canard that top gear should be the exclusive province of raiders.

There is my reasons:

In 4.0 ther is no new raid the only thing you can progress is your gear (scaled old ops not count there is no new mechanic). Because of this and now you can craft top tier gear(without complete any operation or without any exotic material from opses) there is no reason to run those ops more than once (except if thet crafted items extremely expensive on gtn). The only exclusive revard from raids now the nim mounts from old opses (they never do any nim ops again) and maby setbonuses. I think if the top gear is no longer exclusive to raids raids should drop other exclusive ravards like armor sets or weapons etc. At this point this is sounds to me like crafters now can craft ranked pvp revards. But that's only my opinion.

If a player chose to, they could level up exclusively by crafting Components!

will there also be a legacy perk associated with this?

Armorings can no longer be crafted by Cybertechs.

Enhancements can no longer be crafted by Artificers, and are now exclusive to Cybertechs.

For these specific examples, these Crafting patterns have been completely removed from their respective Crafting Skill.

will the schematics that are already unlocked for each of these also be archived?

Droid Armor has been removed from the game, as all companion armor is now strictly for appearances, and droid appearances are not modified by their armor.

what happens to the droid armor that is currently in inventory or on your droids? do they just go poof?

also, droid companion customization, will it still be limited to the customization slot? or will there be aesthetic armor pieces released for droid companions?

All Modifications acquired from Operations can be Reverse Engineered for their Schematics.

so you are now able to craft top tier modifications again?

Operation Gear can no longer be Reverse Engineered.

Crafters can now make gear equivalent to Story and Hard Mode Operations gear:

This gear can be acquired from their respective Trainer.

This crafted gear, when Reverse Engineered is equivalent to Story Mode Operations gear.

When this Story Mode equivalent gear is Reverse Engineered, a player can acquire the schematic to craft Hard Mode Operations equivalent gear.

This new gear has a guaranteed Reverse Engineer chance.

So you cannot reverse engineer gear that drops from the operation, but you can buy the gear from a vendor and then RE it?? a restriction that seems nonsensical

These changes seem appropriate to me, if my following assumptions are correct:

Nightmare Mode will also be available for all the Operations that had it previously, and will reward the same as the highlighted Hard Mode, as all the unique mounts and titles available currently.

For Hard Mode Operations, one Operation per week will be highlighted to give even greater rewards! Ultimately, the goal is that you will have a reason to visit all of our Operations and will feel rewarded for doing so.

Assuming the greater reward is higher tier gear which is default in NiM. This would mean the craftable HM tier is not the highest tier of gear in the game. HM Rav/ToS will stick out a bit unless they are tuned down a bit to be more in line with previous HM tiers. And people may farm the heck out of EV/KP weeks. This would be especially nice if the highlighted HM got a NiM power type buff to make it slightly more difficult (in terms of DPS/HPS/DtPS) that week. That would explain removal of NiM EV/KP since those were basically the only changes from HM.

Either way I raid to raid and gear because it's something to do after you raid. I don't really care if people can craft good gear, as long as I have people to raid with that can competently do the content. I just don't want to wipe on Infernal Council because that random Sentinel keeps popping transcendence or whatever (I don't play that class).

Edited by bdatt

There is my reasons:

In 4.0 ther is no new raid the only thing you can progress is your gear (scaled old ops not count there is no new mechanic). Because of this and now you can craft top tier gear(without complete any operation or without any exotic material from opses) there is no reason to run those ops more than once (except if thet crafted items extremely expensive on gtn). The only exclusive revard from raids now the nim mounts from old opses (they never do any nim ops again) and maby setbonuses. I think if the top gear is no longer exclusive to raids raids should drop other exclusive ravards like armor sets or weapons etc. At this point this is sounds to me like crafters now can craft ranked pvp revards. But that's only my opinion.

I do see your point, but this always begs the question for me about content like raiding. If it isn't intrinsically appealing, then I question why it exists at all.

I used to raid in EQ/EQ2, but the time commitment got to be too much as my career and family responsibilities took off. Personally, I don't begrudge folks their raid gear since the gear I can earn is enough for what I do in the game. But when I did raid, I certainly like to do it one or two times, but after that.... not so much. So I get your point, but I don't think that it is necessarily a problem that people will only want to do a raid a few times.

There are a couple of things that are unclear to me still.

The reorganisation of augments suggests that the current MK-10 will be renamed to 8 but still be the max level augment. However, it suggests that... it doesn't actually say there won't be a higher level one within this tier for level 65. I'd like to know.

Then there is the crafting of endgame gear. I see that we can craft SM gear and RE it to craft HM gear. However, it doesn't actually state that they match the new tiers. What I mean is that we can assume now that there will be 3 tiers of gear from ops....but does the SM gear we can craft match the bottom tier or is it a step below? In other words does the SM gear match the rating of the entry level gear required for level 65 SM ops or does it match the rating of the gear rewarded by SM ops? This is a significant difference.

So all that work RE'ing to blues and purple armors and enhancements flushed down the toilet. Thanks.

Yeah it seems we all got shafted by EA-Bioware. I can't wait til their contract with Disney is done then we will not have to deal with the greed group. They should be trying to keep players not chase them off with idiotic changes.

Any chance we could get some kind of textual indication (as distinct from colour-only) of the various item qualities/levels?

Please? Many parts of the game aren't friendly for colour-blind players, crafting (as is at least) is definitely one of them.

As for the mechanics changing coming in 4? *shrugs* Undecided to be honest.

I wish I hadn't put so much time into the old crafting though - but then, I'm lazy. ;)

I had a long talk about just these topics last night and this morning with my guildies and it is true. I am looking for devils behind every bush in regards to this. I am not normally negative, in fact most of the changes and announcements made so far have been pretty great so far. I looked at this one and started kicking around for some reason.

I am willing to run anything with anyone...I tend to give the benefit of the doubt and try and be helpful. I am building up this argument that there will be a floodgate of these kinds of players and that is more than likely not true either.

I can definitely admit if I am probably wrong. Maybe I just need to calm down and relax with more coffee. ;)

hehe no worries. In my eyes you weren't wrong at all. Just I feel strongly about the gear vs. player skill bit :) This whole expansion I think has people at each others' throats on the forum that would probably get along and group together in an awesome way in game. I just can;t wait for the launch to happen and dust to settle so we can get back to enjoying some new content.

You'd let me freshly dinged 60 shadow tank your HM PoH????

If you are a good player? Hell yeah. If you know w.t.f. you are doing then gear or not you'd be a better asset than some leech in good gear that got carried through everything he is wearing.

Edited by Faelandaea

As it should be. Hilts are fat profit. No one bothers with mods so it makes sense to give enhancements to Cyber. Plus there are dyes and end-game relics (REing drops still applies). To sum up Artifice was massively OP in 3.0 and the nerf if well deserved.

I disagree, they've essentially given Cybertech 2 universally used item modifications. The only reason crafted mods weren't used in 3.0 was because they only gave the poorly balanced versions, this will change if they actually provide the optimal mods to crafters. The crafted dyes aren't worth that much, sure there's a couple of decent ones available from some rep vendors but the majority are from the cartel market, pretty much the same as crystals. As for relics, why is it only relics that suffer from this? Why not Earpieces seeing as Cybertech already have all those modification options. Or what about Implants. All artifice can provide with their baseline crafting gear wise at an op level is hilts, which are only used by half the classes. Sounds like a shafting to me.

Someone tell me I am wrong here...

when 4.0 hits I can "purchase" a free level 60 toon, have max crafting instantly, do some conquest dailies, and craft myself some BiS armor (minus set bonuses) without ever doing anything remotely challenging?

Ah yup, pretty much my take on this as well.

Grand, ain't it? :rolleyes:

So TAIT---

So.. what would THESE mat's convert into then? The new Grade 8 Blue & Purples? (The two 8's are gone)

• Exonium (Grade 11 Exotic Blue)

• Matter Transubstantiator (Grade 11 Exotic Purple)

• Exotic Element Equalizer (Grade 10 Exotic Blue)

• Mass Manipulation Generator (Grade 10 Exotic Purple)

• Molecular Stabilizer (Grade 8 Exotic Blue)

• Synthetic Energy Matrix (Grade 8 Exotic Purple)

Can we get an answer to this, please?

With the removal of enhancements from artificing, will we be getting improved artifice only craftables? ones we can actually sell for a decent amount, or that is actually usefull for endgame?

You still make Dyes, Hilts, Crystals ... plenty of use end-game. And all are Artifice Only.

Can't believe they're keeping Desh in the game - Desh is well....just Desh.

And removing Phond! How dare they! I was always rather fond of Phond.

- Seriously- are we gonna get a refund on any augmented companion gear? I don't have much but it's a shame to waste a synth/arms/armor crit when I made something, and a slightly-out-of-date-augment when I upgraded my character's slots and augs.

You still make Dyes, Hilts, Crystals ... plenty of use end-game. And all are Artifice Only.

dyes and crystals are not artifice only, in fact they may as well be cartel market only. why would you buy a purely lvl 50 crystal with +41 stat when you can buy a lvl 10 color crystal with +41 stat? lol

Can't believe they're keeping Desh in the game - Desh is well....just Desh.

And removing Phond! How dare they! I was always rather fond of Phond.

- Seriously- are we gonna get a refund on any augmented companion gear? I don't have much but it's a shame to waste a synth/arms/armor crit when I made something, and a slightly-out-of-date-augment when I upgraded my character's slots and augs.

stwor and refund! :rolleyes: