The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Yes/No : Would you still play this game if it wasn't branded Star Wars?

HuaRya

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but that's because I wouldn't be playing any MMOs. The only reason I play SWTOR is because it's a good Star Wars game that I wish was single-player, because MMOs are a huge time suck and generally full of unpleasant people I'd prefer not to encounter. lol. Mostly when I play SWTOR, I ignore the multiplayer elements. Occasionally, I'll do FPs or heroics, and I've even done my fair share of Ops, but the kind of time commitment it takes to be good at an MMO is just not my thing.

If it was single player you would have played through ages ago. Well, probably, I don't know how long you're playing, but you do get the point.

No, but that's because I wouldn't be playing any MMOs. The only reason I play SWTOR is because it's a good Star Wars game that I wish was single-player, because MMOs are a huge time suck and generally full of unpleasant people I'd prefer not to encounter. lol. Mostly when I play SWTOR, I ignore the multiplayer elements. Occasionally, I'll do FPs or heroics, and I've even done my fair share of Ops, but the kind of time commitment it takes to be good at an MMO is just not my thing.

If it was single player you would have played through ages ago. Well, probably, I don't know how long you're playing, but you do get the point.

You might be surprised Raben. I play pretty much the same way (s)he does...like it's a single player RPG, & I generally ignore the multiplayer aspects. I don't play mmo's. But this game as a SP game still has a very high replay value. In the 3+ years I've been a sub, there are still variations of the Chapt 1-3 class stories I haven't seen yet. When your main focus is "story", it doesn't matter how many times you beat the game. That's why there are certain games I'm guaranteed to play through at least once a year. Games like kotor 1&2, DA:O, Jade Empire, LoK series, & Batman arkham city just to name a few.

Star Wars started me and wife playing, but if she was not a SW fan and has continued playing for that reason, I would have unsubbed long ago.

This game is a contradiction in itself. It has many wonderful things going for it, but they are offset by many terrible, amateurish, and poorly performing aspects. It could have been great but fell short and is falling further every time the current crop of devs touch it. I do understand that it has made money and continues to do so, but how much could it have made if it was done better and player identified issues were actually addressed?

A sow's ear was made from a silk purse.

So, I vote no.

Edited by asbalana

You might be surprised Raben. I play pretty much the same way (s)he does...like it's a single player RPG, & I generally ignore the multiplayer aspects. I don't play mmo's. But this game as a SP game still has a very high replay value. In the 3+ years I've been a sub, there are still variations of the Chapt 1-3 class stories I haven't seen yet. When your main focus is "story", it doesn't matter how many times you beat the game. That's why there are certain games I'm guaranteed to play through at least once a year. Games like kotor 1&2, DA:O, Jade Empire, LoK series, & Batman arkham city just to name a few.

You sir are very much like me in the way I play games. I replay KOTOR, FF, and MGS games over and over. I've began countless new toons in every Elder Scrolls game except arena. I've beat KOTOR once already in 2015 lol. I also beat it a few days after launch. still love it.

Not everyone loves the 'lets make it an MMO!' mindset. its absolutely not the answer for every franchise.

I have no idea why elder scrolls, knights, or the upcoming fable MMO had to be online. I dont see the benefit.

This is coming from someone who loved MMOs, and definitely thinks they need to exist and should cater to the joe-pro style of player. I dont think franchises built on narrative and control over your environment /immersion etc. need to go MMO years later just because WOW was so successful with it.

This isn't to say Star Wars isn't good MMO material. Just that KOTOR specifically was not IMO.

Hell yeah!

For me anyway the BW style of conversations is so much better it's no contest. I play ESO for example, it's like using a rotary phone, where swtor is a smartphone.

I'm a star wars fan, but I'd certainly play this if it were not star wars.

For i was in beta 6 months before release...

If it wasn't branded Star Wars i would not even have bought it :)

PS: Star Wars fan and faithful imperial since more than 30 years + no alternatives = reason i am still here.

Edited by NexDark

No not at all... i wouldn't have even given it a second glance when it came out! as limiting as this game is if there was not a Star Wars tie in to it it would have closed down years ago. The Force is the only thing keeping this game alive. though im not sure the Force is strong enough to keep it that way for much longer unless they make some BIG changes round here real quick.

Honestly, probably not. If you kept everything the same (combat, voice acting, basic story structures, content, etc) but changed it to, say, a medieval universe, it wouldn't hold as much appeal for me. Nostalgia and the visuals, sounds, interactions that trigger it are definitely important factors for me.

That's not to say I wouldn't give the above hypothetical game a fair shake. ;)

no, I would not. Not because I dislike the game. I love it, however I had actually quit playing mmo's for over one year and i got into beta here. It was star wars, big star wars geek. so i played.. and played and still playing it.

good question .... generally NO .... I do not like this game anymore. I would call it SW STUN or SW ROOT in pvp and now also SW LAG .... unproffesional balancing of characters, continuos changes with no proper effect ... but I still play it because I found a few very good gaming friend and playing with them is fun ...

If this game had a different title, say, perhaps ... "Blue Harvest Online"? ... I doubt I would have ever played. That's because "Space" is not really my thing. I tend to stick to the fantasy genre. It's why I never tried the Star Trek MMO or the Pirates MMO even though I'm a big fan of both. It's why I never lasted long in the Superhero MMO even though I collected Marvel comics about 35 years ago. But I knew that "Star Wars" is not really what I consider pure sci-fi. It's "space fantasy" ... with "wizards" even. So, I, yeah, I tried it solely because of the IP.

But the OP asks if I would still play the game if it wasn't "Star Wars." I suppose that question assumes the game remains the same, but the name changes. Would I still play "Blue Harvest Online"? A game in which I get to play a robe-wearing healer with mystical powers who wields (though never uses) a laser-sword-thingy? A game in which I can complete missions on planets such as "Sand-Planet-IV" and "Ice-Planet-Zed"? A game set against the backdrop of the eternal strife between the Universal Democracy and the Authoritarian Hegemony? Yeah, I think I would.

Right now, I don't really care that it's "Star Wars." It's just fun. I like my characters, I enjoy the game mechanics, I have fun crafting. It's a game.