Encouraging real-life death.

Fevee

Except I can't use ignore on Bioware to stop them charging me cartel coins for taking a dump in the fleet bathroom.

I can't turn on a cartel coin filter to stop msyelf being charged stupid amounts of rl money for stuff I already paid for by buying the cartel packs in the 1st place

I can't report Bioware to themselves for being a ripoff outfit.

I can't roll another character, or buy a rename, to avoid cartel coin charges.

As I said, different situations and btw, pot-kettle-black, you're whining about someone else whining. Now do shut your hole, as requested.

What the **** does this have to do with this thread about suicide/cyber bullying?

You have your OWN THREAD FOR THIS.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was I talking to you? Read the last few comments before mouthing off, there's a good boy. I didn't say a thing about about the cartel coin ripoff until Aneshtit brought it up.

Yeah, but their point is, you know, valid.

Bobs_YourUncle, why do you even bother to quote something if you're not even responding to anything from within the quote?

you believe anyone went to war over Hitler's words?? omg, I guess just ban speaking at all and we'll all get along just fine.

Do you dispute the Nazi party was formed through the words of a silver-tongued individual? The point was not to ban all words, it's just words mean more than MSchuyler would have us believe.

Bobs_YourUncle, why do you even bother to quote something if you're not even responding to anything from within the quote?

Do you dispute the Nazi party was formed through the words of a silver-tongued individual? The point was not to ban all words, it's just words mean more than MSchuyler would have us believe.

you are continuing the very topic I was responding to. I am failing to see your logic. Anyways, it wasn't words that were the problem, and it wasn't words that solved it. Of course every movement is started with words, but nobody went to war over what Hitler said, it was what he did. Your example wven contradicts the point you, I think, are trying to make. Maybe your initial statement about the nazis was in error, idk.

I need to give my two cents.

I'm a middle school teacher. I had a student once toss out the phrase, "God, shut up and go kill yourself." to another student. I grabbed that student by the arm and dragged him from the classroom. After I explained to him why that was not okay, I sent him to the principal in tears from the yelling I had subjected him to, and he got more from the principal. The I notified the child's mother in writing what her son had done, and then verbally when she came in to speak with me about it. He was suspended out of school for five days and his mother told if it happened again he would be expelled. All this from an offhand comment to someone he didn't like for some reason.

There's a reason for that reaction from myself and the principal. The classroom is a place where students have the right to learn in a safe, non-threatening environment. The moment that right is taken from a student by another, someone has to step in. An online game is similar. Everyone who comes to this game has the right to play in a safe, non-threatening (obviously in real-life; a safe game wouldn't be much fun) environment, for whatever reason. As soon as that threshold is crossed, someone has to take action and stop it.

And before the whole "participation medal reject" comment gets thrown at me, I've worked for everything I have. I didn't live in the era where you get a trophy for making a tournament every team makes or anything like that. And I pass that ideal onto my students. Work hard and you'll get to where you want to be someday. But infringing on someone else's right by waving your own around is not cool. You may have freedom of speech, but not freedom from consequence, which I also pass onto my students. You break a rule, you get punished. Doesn't matter how sorry you might be, consequences happen for going against rules. That applies everywhere. Even to an online game where you can flaunt anonymity.

Would it bug me personally to get that in game? No. Would it bug someone else? Ask any parent who's lost a child to a Facebook campaign for that child to commit suicide. Words can do more damage than any weapon known to man.

I need to give my two cents.

I'm a middle school teacher. I had a student once toss out the phrase, "God, shut up and go kill yourself." to another student. I grabbed that student by the arm and dragged him from the classroom. After I explained to him why that was not okay, I sent him to the principal in tears from the yelling I had subjected him to, and he got more from the principal. The I notified the child's mother in writing what her son had done, and then verbally when she came in to speak with me about it. He was suspended out of school for five days and his mother told if it happened again he would be expelled. All this from an offhand comment to someone he didn't like for some reason.

There's a reason for that reaction from myself and the principal. The classroom is a place where students have the right to learn in a safe, non-threatening environment. The moment that right is taken from a student by another, someone has to step in. An online game is similar. Everyone who comes to this game has the right to play in a safe, non-threatening (obviously in real-life; a safe game wouldn't be much fun) environment, for whatever reason. As soon as that threshold is crossed, someone has to take action and stop it.

And before the whole "participation medal reject" comment gets thrown at me, I've worked for everything I have. I didn't live in the era where you get a trophy for making a tournament every team makes or anything like that. And I pass that ideal onto my students. Work hard and you'll get to where you want to be someday. But infringing on someone else's right by waving your own around is not cool. You may have freedom of speech, but not freedom from consequence, which I also pass onto my students. You break a rule, you get punished. Doesn't matter how sorry you might be, consequences happen for going against rules. That applies everywhere. Even to an online game where you can flaunt anonymity.

Would it bug me personally to get that in game? No. Would it bug someone else? Ask any parent who's lost a child to a Facebook campaign for that child to commit suicide. Words can do more damage than any weapon known to man.

there is a reason for the age limit on this game. The school environment, in any case, is totally different. I shouldn't have to explain why. Teachers, parents and other role models should be teaching children how to deal with jerks words, and teaching them not to be jerks. This game's function is not the same, at all, in my view.

However, words alone have been enough to cause serious harm.

This is exactly the attitude which has turned us into a nation of wussies.....

Free speech allows you to speak your mind, no matter how stupid the ideas are that you keep in there...

If another is stupid enough to act on your words, that is their lack of a backbone.

Actions, that harm others, whether intentional or not, is another matter....but until something happens, there is no crime of punishable offense....that is the difference between democracy and dictatorship....

Freedom of speech is a right but even that is limited. You for instances cannot walk into a theater and cry fire or a bomb and not expect to suffer consequences. I am learning that in my paralegal class this semester.

Another problem is you do not have any idea how another person is going to react. There have been instances of people getting messages such as this on facebook and committing suicide. We do not know what another person is going through at that moment and it could be very well a comment like that could be the last straw.

Why not try to be a little more respectful and show courtesy to a person than act like this even on a game. I was raised by parents who taught us that if we can't say something nice then don't say anything at all. How hard is it to actually just go on without being rude and hateful? I think it shows more character for a person just to be respectful than a person who is spouting off with "cuss words" or even telling someone to kill themselves.

Just because it is the internet does not mean our actions/words should say things we shouldn't be saying. We need to start taking responsibility for what we say and for what we do.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

Reporting the poster is the proper step. As for what the yutt said do you really care what was posted? If you did wrong answer. All bullies want is power over others. It is the reason they try intimidating people. Why give them the satisfaction. Should of just told the poster to go back to molesting small farm animals and then put the yutt on ignore.

As far as freedom of speech well causing a safety hazard is different. That is a whole lot different than telling someone his dogs has fleas and he got them from him. Do you want it to be like some country's where people are flogged or put in prison for it. There is no skin in the game so some people will talk out their *****. Who cares. It is the internet. Ignore is our friend.

Edited by well

This is exactly the attitude which has turned us into a nation of wussies.....

And, it's people like you who think there's no such thing as consequences.

Words have been around much longer than this country has, by the way.

Who cares. It is the internet. Ignore is our friend.

Eh, not really, especially since SWTOR's ignore doesn't actually block all their communications:

BigJerk laughs at you.

BigJerk laughs at you.

BigJerk laughs at you.

BigJerk laughs at you.

BigJerk laughs at you.

BigJerk laughs at you.

BigJerk laughs at you.

BigJerk laughs at you.

BigJerk laughs at you.

You are now ignoring BigJerk.

BigJerk laughs.

BigJerk laughs.

BigJerk laughs.

BigJerk laughs.

BigJerk laughs.

BigJerk laughs.

It's not that hard to figure out who he's trying to emote at. Isn't it more sensible that a character on ignore is never seen in your dialogue box again? Instead of this workaround they can exploit?

Edited by Fevee

Eh, not really, especially since SWTOR's ignore doesn't actually block all their communications:

The more you perceive that people are targeting their remarks at you--no matter how obvious the target may be--the more power you give such people. You ignored him. Walk away and let him laugh at air, knowing that you have won on the battlefield of your mind.

Edited by Lewintelamon

It works for me. Yes they can switch chrs but then you put them on ignore.

again if you cannot have a thick skin then get off the net.

you know i used to be so upset over trolls and the like until i saw that the best thing to do is let them troll. they are not harming you or anyone unless you let them.

...oh so now it's valid when it was someone else that said it and derailed the thread and you got called out on it?

Do sod off.

What ever your problem with Bioware over Cartel coins has NOTHING to do with this thread. You have your own thread whereby you whine and moan about nickle and diming. Follow your own advice and stick to the subject matter at hand.

The more you perceive that people are targeting their remarks at you--no matter how obvious the target may be--the more power you give such people. You ignored him. Walk away and let him laugh at air, knowing that you have won on the battlefield of your mind.

So, I'm standing there, doing absolutely nothing. He walks up, targeting me the whole time, and positions himself directly in front of me. Facing me, targeting me, and then untargeting just long enough to "point and laugh at everyone around."

I'm sorry I perceived that that was meant for me; what could I possibly have been thinking.

again if you cannot have a thick skin then get off the net.

Again, trollish insults are one thing, encouraging someone to take their own life is something completely different; and should be an unforgivable offense. I may not be unstable enough to actually take his advice, but I'm not everyone.

And, is there nothing that can be said to get under your skin? What if absolutely every player you interacted with in this game told you to uninstall the game and kill yourself, and then promptly putting you on ignore. Absolutely. Every. Single. One. I suppose you and your thick skin will just shrug it off and say "Oh, you guys" with a playful flick of the wrist. Have fun playing an MMO completely alone.

Or, would you prefer to have a friendly environment with like-minded and encouraging individuals?

There are rules and regulations; a code of conduct. And I don't think encouraging suicide is on the whitelist.

I don't understand the whole point of this "kill yourself" thread.

Ok.

Someone was being childish enought to suggest you "go kill yourself".

Will you actually KILL yourself?

I don't think so.

Then what's the whole thing about it?

Just ignore this person and live on!

The problem most seem to be missing, is, its generally not socially aceptable to say rude/terrible things.

Were you in school or at work and said such things, you could expect to be suspended/expelled/fired for doing so.

Now if doing said things would have such an effect offline shouldnt that tell you something?

Just because your "online and anonymous" doesnt make it -any- more acceptable than if you were at work or school.

Edited by XiamaraSimi

Telling someone to take their own life ... must not be a punishable offense. This guy is still around.

That guy's an idiot, and you need professional help so you can better handle how random nobodies affect your pixels in a video game.

Edited by Joesixxpack

Telling someone to take their own life ... must not be a punishable offense. This guy is still around.

Well, as we saw with Ravagergate and its slew of 1 day bans, bioware isnt exactly big on "deterrant" punishmemt. If anything he might have gotten a 1 day ban, and is now back to his usual shenanigans.

"Have a time out, now dont do it again" isnt effective with 5 year olds, let alone trolls. :rolleyes: