Encouraging real-life death.

Fevee

Telling someone to go kill themselves in real life, doesn't sound like a friendly game environment to me.

I can probably write an in-game ticket, but I'm afraid all I'm ever going to get is Protocol Unit 1.D.G.4.F. telling me that "Galactic support is our specialty." and the offending player isn't even going to get a slap on the wrist.

Honestly, I just want a bit of player (maybe even a Dev) to confirm/deny whether or not encouraging real-life suicide is a reportable offense or not.

Or, am I just being "butt hurt" and should move on with the game; letting him be.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if this is in game chat: Report the player, put them on ignore and move on.

If this is in game mail: Report the mail, put them on ignore and move on.

Beyond that there isn't much you can do.

You can report in game harassment and will be taken care of eventually. A char name change can also be effective but expensive, but small price for cost of ones sanity.

Telling someone to go kill themselves in real life, doesn't sound like a friendly game environment to me.

I can probably write an in-game ticket, but I'm afraid all I'm ever going to get is Protocol Unit 1.D.G.4.F. telling me that "Galactic support is our specialty." and the offending player isn't even going to get a slap on the wrist.

Honestly, I just want a bit of player (maybe even a Dev) to confirm/deny whether or not encouraging real-life suicide is a reportable offense or not.

Or, am I just being "butt hurt" and should move on with the game; letting him be.

You can and have the right to report people for harassment. whether BW acts is up to them

In my experience most people who do that are using the game to take out their anger over some aspect of their life in game. Or to compensate for the fact they aren't good players.

TLDR: It is an offense but their BW response won't be some heavy handed approach unless it was called for.

Edit: Previous statement withdrawn.

Edited by FerkWork

You can and have the right to report people for harassment. BW response depends on situation.The thing is if it's a one time rage incident then you can't really do anything as they just have snapped. Is it far for a person who just had a one time incident of rage to be punished for it? What if they didn't start it but just took it up a level? Yes it's bad for players to do that but it still happens. If it's constant haerassment then they do have a perogative to step in.

In my experience most people who do that are using the game to take out their anger over some aspect of their life in game. Or to compensate for the fact they aren't good players.

If a player is making death threats, even a "one time, I just snapped" incident, they should be prepared to deal with the consequences of that action. They DID, after all, sign the TOS agreeing NOT to participate in that kind of behavior and acknowledging that participation in that kind of behavior could lead to discipline, up to and including a perma-ban.

Bullying is bullying, even cyber bullying. It should be dealt with immediately and firmly.

As others have said, report and report again if it re-occurs. Unfortuneately, some people arent mentally mature enough to behave decently in online environments, and internet anonnymity lets those that wouldnt be socially accepted in society show just -why- they wouldnt be.

If a player is making death threats, even a "one time, I just snapped" incident, they should be prepared to deal with the consequences of that action. They DID, after all, sign the TOS agreeing NOT to participate in that kind of behavior and acknowledging that participation in that kind of behavior could lead to discipline, up to and including a perma-ban.

Bullying is bullying, even cyber bullying. It should be dealt with immediately and firmly.

We agree!!! Hell must be cold today...

Absolutely, I would report him. I would do it in every manner available just to ensure those reports were seen and to maximize the chances that action would be taken. I would also follow up frequently to maximize the chances that action would be taken.

No one should have to deal with that type of behavior.

Ratajack?! I honestly thought hell would freeze over before you ever agreed with me.

We agree!!! Hell must be cold today...

Haha, join the club.

Anyways, I could also report the individual on account of racial hatred, considering his commentary leading up his bullying.

Me: So are you saying blacks always steal?

Him: Yep thats EXACTLY what I am saying

Me: So, you're racist towards African Americans?

Him: You figured it out CAPT butt hurt.

Me: Well, at least you admit it.

Him: R u done crying now?

Him: like sorry I dont appease to your liking

Him: maybe a shoe shine to help you relax masta?

I'm not the kind who bends over backwards for other ethnicities, but even I was offended by his remarks.

Edited by Fevee

Ratajack?! I honestly thought hell would freeze over before you ever agreed with me.

Haha, join the club.

Anyways, I could also report the individual on account of racial hatred, considering his commentary leading up his bullying.

I'm not the kind who bends over backwards for other ethnicities, but even I was offended by his remarks.

Looks like you're in Bizarro world, too.

2for 2 tux...pretty sure Bridgewater is in the ring shop getting measured as we speak!!!

HAHA!!! That got a very awkward and audible "LOL" from me after the brief second it took me to figure it out lol. At first I was like "What th...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!"Well played DOH...very well played :)

Meh, never seen what there is to get so upset about cyber bullying.

Like, at least in real life bullies can actually physically harm you.

I agree, but it's a changing world and online anonymity has given rise to particularly nasty online bullies. Like the comments above, do you know ANYONE in your real life who would make such statements?! I don't. There has to be a controlling authority who stops it...here, that's Bioware.

However, words alone have been enough to cause serious harm.

Depending on a person's current mental state, cyber-bullying can do immense damage to people. For many, the internet is one of the few ways to escape what they're dealing with in the real world, and, for many, they turn around only to find more problems here. Cyber bullying isn't entirely avoidable, but we should all work together as a community to reduce its impact.

Edited by jedimasterjac

be like saying whats wrong with emotional/verbal abuse, not like it actually "hurts". Given peoples personalities and emotional states, it often doesn't take much to "hit a nerve" verbal abuse especially over time and against the right person can have a profound effect. Not everyone has the worlds greatest self-esteems.

This is basically akin to telling a depressed person "just get over it"...chemical reactions don't quite work that way and not everyone works the same way or has the same response to similar inputs.

I think these forums are good enough examples that words on a screen can and do elicit emotional results, especially in the right circumstances.

Report, re-report if it happens again. Keep reporting every time you see it happen.

Yes, bullies IRL can physically harm a person, but emotional and psychological bullies are just as harmful, and the damage takes longer to heal from.

There are some times when on the internet I go "Really? You're getting all worked up over being called a name?" or something similar, but death threats/encouraging suicide or other bodily harm is not the same.

Get called an idiot, or some racist term? Not cyber bullying, that's the other person trying to troll you.

People voicing offensive comments online? Not bullying, just someone hiding behind anonymity and trying to rile up people.

Flat out telling someone to go die? Bullying.

And IIRC, in US, all such threats, or 'suggestions', reported are to be looked over and punished with more than a slap to the wrist just to keep the company from being sued. Some kind of law, I think.

You can go beyond BW and report them to the police for cyberbullying. Someone told a girl to do that, and she did. They're spending 10 years in prison now. Is a serious thing