Encouraging real-life death.

Fevee

part of your problem is you just dont think it has any real repercussions. schools deal with the fact that if they let little bobby bully johnny every day, one day johnny might just have enough and show up with a loaded 9mm and try to see if bobbies thicker skin will stop lead. they have to stomp on bullying or they might end up dealing with a colombine. words have consequences.

That is a very good point. These days you never know what can happen and bullying, in all forms, has to be stopped while the kids are young.

Edited by RiVaN_

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

part of your problem is you just dont think it has any real repercussions. schools deal with the fact that if they let little bobby bully johnny every day, one day johnny might just have enough and show up with a loaded 9mm and try to see if bobbies thicker skin will stop lead. they have to stomp on bullying or they might end up dealing with a colombine. words have consequences.

I know bw will hand out forum bans at even an offhand suggestion for someone to kill themselves. they take it very seriously.

Fair enough. Its my opinion that part of your problem is you subscribe to the coddling of children to be the remedy, when I believe its actually a big part of the problem. If children were taught how to handle adversity properly, rather than coddle them and attempting to shield them from all forms of it, I think they would be more prepared when they do face it. And they will, of course. Life is tough, its a constant test of adversity. How you handle that adversity determines the quality of life you have. I hold the view, however retarded you and others might find it, that shielding children from adversity (dealing with aholes in this case) is not going to prepare them for the real world when teacher, mommy, and daddy aren't there to protect them.

I don't disagree with what being bullied IRL teaches a person; I also don't think that is a good way to learn those lessons. My experiences with being bullied taught me similar lessons, the Army taught me to stand up for myself and not just let it happen and my own personality has led me to be the kind of person that wants to defend and fight for those who are being bullied.

I guess that being a member of an "older generation" has caused me to see things differently than the younger generations see things. I get pretty fired up.

I know the younger folks often see it as harmless trolling, but it isn't always harmless. A lot of the "harmless trolling" quickly becomes blatantly disrespectful and down right mean. I think everyone deserves to be treated with respect at all times. Young people often see it as just harmless fun; when a person has had enough and the troll keeps trolling that is when it has gone to far.

And that is where we run into problems.

People think that anonymity gives them the right to be a jerk, I think that anonymity is a test of your integrity. Anyone who uses anonymity to get away with doing and saying things that they would feel uncomfortable saying around the people they care about and respect has questionable integrity.

I'm not questioning your integrity, I am saying that people who use the anonymity of the internet to get away with things they wouldn't try to get away with IRL are wrong for how they treat others.

That guy telling the other person to go kill themselves, that is wrong and we now have laws that cover that kind of behavior under the title of cyberbullying.

Its better for people to fight their own battles in most cases. Children are not helpless, they just need a guiding hand and proper instruction how to deal with life. I get where you are coming from, I just think its not only a waste and unnecessary restriction on our right to voice our opinions, which in and of itself has far wider implications than just the obviously over the line statements such as this, but actually does nothing to prepare people to handle the adversities they will face and have nobody there to protect them from it. At this point though, im just repeating myself lol.

And respect is earned not entitled. Sure, start off with a person cordially, but if that dudes a jerk, im not going to spare his feelings telling him so.

Btw, im probably not what you would consider younger generation necessarily.

Seriously if anyone cares what some guy they have never met says in chat they probably shouldn't be playing an MMO or have access to the internet.

No, every deaththreat should be reported.

Edited by Icestar

Except we aren't talking about a death threat here. We are talking about one ahole voicing their opinion that another should die, or go kill themselves.

Whether someone wants to report something is up to them. It's then up to BWEA to decide if it's actionable. As noted many, many, many times by many, many, many posters, the proper course of action was to 1) ignore the post, 2) /ignore the poster or 3) report (and presumably /ignore) the poster. Bringing it here the forums was utterly pointless.

Telling someone to go kill themselves in real life, doesn't sound like a friendly game environment to me.

I can probably write an in-game ticket, but I'm afraid all I'm ever going to get is Protocol Unit 1.D.G.4.F. telling me that "Galactic support is our specialty." and the offending player isn't even going to get a slap on the wrist.

Honestly, I just want a bit of player (maybe even a Dev) to confirm/deny whether or not encouraging real-life suicide is a reportable offense or not.

Or, am I just being "butt hurt" and should move on with the game; letting him be.

I personally have very tough skin so someone telling me to "go die" or to "go kill Myself" I just shrug off and move on.

Like others have said you have every right to report Aholes for harassment and/or abuse which telling you to go kill yourself is.

Last person who told me to go kill myself because I didn't heal his retarded mara *** for pulling a mob got an LOL and I quote "Tried that Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'd take over so here I am". :D

Moral of the story douches will be douches report them, ignore them, and forget them.

Whether someone wants to report something is up to them. It's then up to BWEA to decide if it's actionable. As noted many, many, many times by many, many, many posters, the proper course of action was to 1) ignore the post, 2) /ignore the poster or 3) report (and presumably /ignore) the poster. Bringing it here the forums was utterly pointless.

Did I ever say it shouldn't be reported? Maybe I said, personally, I have found the best course of action to simply ignore the haters. Its been my experience that aholes are not changed because they got banned from a game or forum, or reprimanded in some other way. Its far better to learn to ignore anonymous opinions from the infinite number of aholes on the web. Anyways, I agree. If someone wants to report them in addition, its up to them.

Telling someone to take their own life should be a bannable offense regardless of intent.

People need to be held accountable for how they conduct themselves.

I agree. I know it may seem a bit harsh, but I would love if it were to happen.

Telling someone to go kill themselves in real life, doesn't sound like a friendly game environment to me.

I can probably write an in-game ticket, but I'm afraid all I'm ever going to get is Protocol Unit 1.D.G.4.F. telling me that "Galactic support is our specialty." and the offending player isn't even going to get a slap on the wrist.

Honestly, I just want a bit of player (maybe even a Dev) to confirm/deny whether or not encouraging real-life suicide is a reportable offense or not.

Or, am I just being "butt hurt" and should move on with the game; letting him be.

The next post after yours covered it. There is trash talk of all types in these games...I've heard "diaf" more than I'd like to, but it was from friends and in jest. Report the person immediately, ignore the person immediately, move on.

If you're very distressed about it talk to a friend or family or uninstall the game.

If you're very distressed about it talk to a friend or family or uninstall the game.

I have 64 characters across 11 servers. (Yes, alt-o-holic.) I'm not going to abandon them all because of a racist troll who doesn't know how to act around others.

But if everyone who's offended is encouraged to make a new character or leave the server, then you people are suggesting that it's more efficient to forsake an entire server of characters than it is to punish one single offender. Behavior like his shouldn't be tolerated, let's get rid of the foul players so the nice ones can have an enjoyable game experience.

I just was in a player verse player match on my server, and we had several players just soaking up spots for conquest points. I made the comment it's players like you that make me want to slit my wrists because your costing me a chance to win. Player A says so what its a game, Player B tells me to go ahead and do it. I've also had players tell me to delete my characters and the server would be better off without me. Seriously I've really started to consider moving away from this game because people do what ever it takes to ruin other peoples playing experience and nothing is ever done about it.

I just was in a player verse player match on my server, and we had several players just soaking up spots for conquest points. I made the comment it's players like you that make me want to slit my wrists because your costing me a chance to win. Player A says so what its a game, Player B tells me to go ahead and do it. I've also had players tell me to delete my characters and the server would be better off without me. Seriously I've really started to consider moving away from this game because people do what ever it takes to ruin other peoples playing experience and nothing is ever done about it.

Got bad news for you. Unless you switch to SP only games you are going to find people like that in every MMO community you go to.

Got bad news for you. Unless you switch to SP only games you are going to find people like that in every MMO community you go to.

Wasn't always the case sadly. Being that I been computer gaming now for 36 years, of which 30 of them have been in a MMO type environment, its only been the last 3-5 years I have seen this type of behavior. But your correct that this seems to be the new normal way of acting since you will never see that person in real life.

In this case, you instigated the convo and opened yourself up for that line. You probably hurt that guys feelings. I mean, how would you feel if you realized you were causing someone to want to commit suicide?

In all seriousness, though. Aholes are rampant. If you want to enjoy the internet you really have to learn to ignore people like that. All forums/games have rules against it to some extent, but no matter how hard they crack down on it, there will always be 5 more aholes to replace the one that got banned, and that's considering the banned guy doesn't create another account. Face it, the world is full of jerks, nothing is going to remedy that, at least not overnight.

I find the innocence in this thread disturbing.

Seriously people, you should have developed a thicker skin by now.

And if you think SWTOR has bad mannered people, then you haven't being playing online games for the past probably 10 years.

Interaction with random people in Multiplayer games , especially mmos is nothing like real life interaction ,nor it should be. Get over it.

Edited by Kaedusz

I find the innocence in this thread disturbing.

Seriously people, you should have developed a thicker skin by now.

And if you think SWTOR has bad mannered people than you haven't being playing online games for the past propably 10 years.

Interaction with random people in Multiplayer games , especially mmos is nothing like real life interaction ,nor it should be. Get over it.

The Worst communities seem to be the f2p Korean games.

I have 64 characters across 11 servers. (Yes, alt-o-holic.) I'm not going to abandon them all because of a racist troll who doesn't know how to act around others.

But if everyone who's offended is encouraged to make a new character or leave the server, then you people are suggesting that it's more efficient to forsake an entire server of characters than it is to punish one single offender. Behavior like his shouldn't be tolerated, let's get rid of the foul players so the nice ones can have an enjoyable game experience.

I believe the poster you quoted was suggesting that as an extreme, or last resort.

Wasn't always the case sadly. Being that I been computer gaming now for 36 years, of which 30 of them have been in a MMO type environment, its only been the last 3-5 years I have seen this type of behavior. But your correct that this seems to be the new normal way of acting since you will never see that person in real life.

I'd really like to know exactly what mmo's you were playing in 1985.

I'd really like to know exactly what mmo's you were playing in 1985.

The days of the MBBs, Trade Wars (released in 1986) was once such multi-player game that involved people working together or against each other. Game could be set up to play x amount of turns per day or setup to play unlimited amount of turns per day. Objective was to make money to purchase defenses to protect your planets and build the ultimate ship a Imperial Class Destroyer.