Encouraging real-life death.

Fevee

The days of the MBBs, Trade Wars (released in 1986) was once such multi-player game that involved people working together or against each other. Game could be set up to play x amount of turns per day or setup to play unlimited amount of turns per day. Objective was to make money to purchase defenses to protect your planets and build the ultimate ship a Imperial Class Destroyer.

Online multiplayer gaming has been around a lot longer than the kids today think it has. :D

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Online multiplayer gaming has been around a lot longer than the kids today think it has. :D

Aye, I remember playing some games like Reach for the Stars ,Galactic Empire, various MuDD's and my favorite was this play by e-mail game where it was 13 different teams (Federation, Klingon, Borg, Rebel Alliance, Empire to name a few).

The days of the MBBs, Trade Wars (released in 1986) was once such multi-player game that involved people working together or against each other. Game could be set up to play x amount of turns per day or setup to play unlimited amount of turns per day. Objective was to make money to purchase defenses to protect your planets and build the ultimate ship a Imperial Class Destroyer.

1986!? But I thought Al Gore invented the internet in the 90's!

Edited by Papazmurf

Telling someone to go kill themselves in real life, doesn't sound like a friendly game environment to me.

I can probably write an in-game ticket, but I'm afraid all I'm ever going to get is Protocol Unit 1.D.G.4.F. telling me that "Galactic support is our specialty." and the offending player isn't even going to get a slap on the wrist.

Honestly, I just want a bit of player (maybe even a Dev) to confirm/deny whether or not encouraging real-life suicide is a reportable offense or not.

Or, am I just being "butt hurt" and should move on with the game; letting him be.

Yes you are.

guess I was too busy playing pen and paper games back then

I have close to ever D&D module they made and 1 time had taken all the maps and transcribed them into a 12 foot by 10 foot wall map and a good chunk of the AD&D modules specifically Dragon Lance series. Before I stopped pen and paper I had just gotten into Vampire the Masquerade where I played a Tzimisce.

LAN parties were a big thing back in the day werent they?

Yep having 10 computers all hooked up in someone's house and then everyone coming over to kick some computer butt or each others butt's. The MBBs I use to play on was called Dragon World I believe where I eventually took over as the SysOp for the games we use to run. It was a sweet set-up and could support upwards of 24 people online at one time. Oh the days of having your phone company running all those additional phone lines to your house to support your setup.

Or, am I just being "butt hurt" and should move on with the game; letting him be.

Yes you are.

So, are you going to tell me anyone can say anything to anyone, and there's no such thing as consequences?

Blatant insults like "Learn to play, noob!" "OMG, you stink at this!" are one thing, but telling someone to take their own life is something completely different.

So, are you going to tell me anyone can say anything to anyone, and there's no such thing as consequences?

Blatant insults like "Learn to play, noob!" "OMG, you stink at this!" are one thing, but telling someone to take their own life is something completely different.

like we've said...report, ignore, then move on and keep playing. Do you want some personal vindication for doing it or some sort of sympathy for posting it?

If it continues to happen contact CS directly by opening a ticket. But at some point you can only help yourself and only you can take offense at something.

If I took everything everyone said to me quite literally and personally I would have a very sore backside from all the times I had to go screw myself....

Report, re-report if it happens again. Keep reporting every time you see it happen.

Yes, bullies IRL can physically harm a person, but emotional and psychological bullies are just as harmful, and the damage takes longer to heal from.

There are some times when on the internet I go "Really? You're getting all worked up over being called a name?" or something similar, but death threats/encouraging suicide or other bodily harm is not the same.

Get called an idiot, or some racist term? Not cyber bullying, that's the other person trying to troll you.

People voicing offensive comments online? Not bullying, just someone hiding behind anonymity and trying to rile up people.

Flat out telling someone to go die? Bullying.

And IIRC, in US, all such threats, or 'suggestions', reported are to be looked over and punished with more than a slap to the wrist just to keep the company from being sued. Some kind of law, I think.

I disagree, I think calling people names is bullying. Yes, some come in the forms of trolls but that doesn't stop it from being bullying. I think of a student I knew in high school who was in the alternative education classes, and who a group of boys would often follow her around in the hall trying to get a response fron her as they mocked her, called her ugly, etc. She's a beautiful woman now, with a loving husband. Very happy, with a warm family. The other students some changed into better people, others had a toxic personality that did eventually bite them in the rear. Either way, looking back, I would say that even if they were only trying to "get a rise" out of her for their own fun, it was still bullying. It made her cry, made her feel bad about who she is, and it severely impacted her experience while seeking an education. This is, to be frank, partially an entitlement issue. I had a friend once from Senigal (a highly talented baker) who was very, very taken aback by how entitled many in the western world act especially in their treatment of other people or in their waste of the opportunities given to them. Education, for instance, in many countries is seen as a major blessing and highly sought. Children who receive such opportunities are happy. They love school. They love that they get to go to school. This isn't speaking for everyone, of course, but it is a very dominant trend.

Now it probably seems irrelevant that I have ranted about education when we discuss video games, and a thread about bullying. However, I want to note, that playing video games is a luxury. It is not a necessity for life. You can live without it. And so, video games, should be treated as such. Something you have -earned- the chance to play. To me, many of the people who take advantage of online anonymity are behaving rather entitled. Those who troll, those who rage, those who let their achievements in games make them feel superior to others - they are using the games in highly toxic ways. And some games do bank on this, don't get me wrong. But the best games do not. The most successful timeless games do not. And there's a major reason for that. It doesn't last. The feelings of elations that people get from practicing these things do not last. They are, in fact, coping mechanisms. When you feel angry, or entitled, or superior to another person - there is a rush of endorphins. The pain subsides, your confidence is boosted and you feel better about you. This can become an addiction, and a debilitating one beyond the effects to an individual's personality or personal life. Once the endorphins are gone depression ensues, and for some it is a very, very strong consequence. Thus more pain requires more anger, more bullying, more trolling, more feeling entitled and superior to have some sense of self worth.

It is a very painful, destructive, and toxic cycle. While some people may get short term benefits through these actions such as social gain through ruining another person's reputation, or bullying a guild away from someone they don't like - the truth is, they lose in the long run for a large number of reasons. They sabotaged their own happiness, in a way. So my hope is, through reading this, you will pity those who are lost in themselves to not realize the luxuries they have in life and live joyfully, but instead choose a path to make themselves miserable with a constant need of stimulation or hurting others to cope. The ego is a dangerous thing. And I say this as a hypocrite who has made many mistakes in my past. As someone who has both done the bullying, and been the one bullied.

Thank you for listening.

Edited by Infraredman

They are just words. You choose how to react to them. It's a serious problem when people become "offended" by what someone SAYS and believes sanctions ought to be imposed. That you are "offended" should have no consequences beyond a little self-reflection on your own maturity. Otherwise we live in a milk-toast society where everyone derives power from being "offended" by every trivial offense. And yes, this is trivial. Get over it.

They are just words.

Words are everything. Or are you going to tell the Nazi regime to just "get over it"?

Words start things, words end things. Try telling me to get over with without using words, or perhaps learn the significance of words and not be so callous. I'll bet there's something, somewhere, that can be said in words to you, that'll hurt you personally.

You may think words are just words, but the entire world revolves around words, whether you like it or not.

whine whine whinge moan the internet person said bad words whine moan whinge gripe.

Multiple in-game solutions to your problem exists.

Use the language filter.

Use the ignore function.

Report the player to GM's for inappropriate language.

Move on.

Tattle taling and demanding they get 6 months in a gulag because you got offended by pixel words in a pixel game is just pathetic. It's an MMO, Adults play it and sometiomes use adult language. If you can't cope, Hello Kitty Online always needs new blood.

Words are everything. Or are you going to tell the Nazi regime to just "get over it"?

Words start things, words end things. Try telling me to get over with without using words, or perhaps learn the significance of words and not be so callous. I'll bet there's something, somewhere, that can be said in words to you, that'll hurt you personally.

You may think words are just words, but the entire world revolves around words, whether you like it or not.

Not sure what you mean by that first part....

I disagree, I think calling people names is bullying. Yes, some come in the forms of trolls but that doesn't stop it from being bullying. I think of a student I knew in high school who was in the alternative education classes, and who a group of boys would often follow her around in the hall trying to get a response fron her as they mocked her, called her ugly, etc. She's a beautiful woman now, with a loving husband. Very happy, with a warm family. The other students some changed into better people, others had a toxic personality that did eventually bite them in the rear. Either way, looking back, I would say that even if they were only trying to "get a rise" out of her for their own fun, it was still bullying. It made her cry, made her feel bad about who she is, and it severely impacted her experience while seeking an education. This is, to be frank, partially an entitlement issue. I had a friend once from Senigal (a highly talented baker) who was very, very taken aback by how entitled many in the western world act especially in their treatment of other people or in their waste of the opportunities given to them. Education, for instance, in many countries is seen as a major blessing and highly sought. Children who receive such opportunities are happy. They love school. They love that they get to go to school. This isn't speaking for everyone, of course, but it is a very dominant trend.

Now it probably seems irrelevant that I have ranted about education when we discuss video games, and a thread about bullying. However, I want to note, that playing video games is a luxury. It is not a necessity for life. You can live without it. And so, video games, should be treated as such. Something you have -earned- the chance to play. To me, many of the people who take advantage of online anonymity are behaving rather entitled. Those who troll, those who rage, those who let their achievements in games make them feel superior to others - they are using the games in highly toxic ways. And some games do bank on this, don't get me wrong. But the best games do not. The most successful timeless games do not. And there's a major reason for that. It doesn't last. The feelings of elations that people get from practicing these things do not last. They are, in fact, coping mechanisms. When you feel angry, or entitled, or superior to another person - there is a rush of endorphins. The pain subsides, your confidence is boosted and you feel better about you. This can become an addiction, and a debilitating one beyond the effects to an individual's personality or personal life. Once the endorphins are gone depression ensues, and for some it is a very, very strong consequence. Thus more pain requires more anger, more bullying, more trolling, more feeling entitled and superior to have some sense of self worth.

It is a very painful, destructive, and toxic cycle. While some people may get short term benefits through these actions such as social gain through ruining another person's reputation, or bullying a guild away from someone they don't like - the truth is, they lose in the long run for a large number of reasons. They sabotaged their own happiness, in a way. So my hope is, through reading this, you will pity those who are lost in themselves to not realize the luxuries they have in life and live joyfully, but instead choose a path to make themselves miserable with a constant need of stimulation or hurting others to cope. The ego is a dangerous thing. And I say this as a hypocrite who has made many mistakes in my past. As someone who has both done the bullying, and been the one bullied.

Thank you for listening.

I was only referring to online interactions with strangers about the name calling.

IRL name calling is bullying. Good GSIsus Droid, I took years to get over being called Pimple Polly in fifth grade.

But online, from people you don't know IRL, name calling is just trying to get a rise. You can rage about it out loud all you want, they'll never know unless you type it down and send the message.

The only times I troll is during Grammar Nazi Time when someone is in the middle of claiming that they don't need basic grammar to communicate. This is a very specific scenario involving people who already have a decent understanding of basic English Grammar and is not targeted towards ESL/ETL audiences because they already know the rules better than most native English speakers in Merica.

Or when someone goes on about how the US teaches that we won the second WW. (We won the Pacific Theater, and helped in the European/African Theaters. Russia/USSR won most of the European Theater with Winter Power. The more you know. And my HS was a bit off in how they let us know 'real' history. Even if it did end history after WWII). That was fun, trolling the Canadian.

*cough" But I agree, IRL, name calling is bullying. I never intended to imply it wasn't.

whine whine whinge moan the internet person said bad words whine moan whinge gripe.

You don't even know what this is about, do you?

Use the language filter.

Use the ignore function.

Move on.

Already on.

Already have.

Already done so.

However, the words "Kill" and "Yourself" and "Suicide" are not subject to the language filter.

Ignore doesn't actually ignore the user, it just stops them from emoting while targeting you; you still see emotes they do to others or in general.

Yea, I'm looking at his ingame character right now. Nothing has happened.

Not sure what you mean by that first part....

It was started by words, after all.

Already on.

Already have.

Already done so.

However, the words "Kill" and "Yourself" and "Suicide" are not subject to the language filter.

Ignore doesn't actually ignore the user, it just stops them from emoting while targeting you; you still see emotes they do to others or in general.

Pretty sure ignore stops them from typing words to you, or are you implying that these people harassing you are using some sort of charades using emotes to tell you to kill yourself? I have no clue how you'd even interpret that to mean what you say it means.

Multiple in-game solutions to your problem exists.

Use the language filter.

Use the ignore function.

Move on.

Tattle taling and demanding they get 6 months in a gulag because you got offended by pixel words in a pixel game is just pathetic. It's an MMO, Adults play it and sometiomes use adult language. If you can't cope, Hello Kitty Online always needs new blood.

You're not really one to talk about whining considering your post whining about how this game is becoming a nickle and dime mmo and how because you pay a sub you shouldn't have to pay extra for cosmetic changes and unlocking items in collectibles

Pretty sure ignore stops them from typing words to you, or are you implying that these people harassing you are using some sort of charades using emotes to tell you to kill yourself? I have no clue how you'd even interpret that to mean what you say it means.

You're having a hard time figuring this out, aren't you? Or do you honestly think I preemptively ignore people, who of which figure out I've pre-ignored them, and charade out taunts and death threats?

You're not really one to talk about whining considering your post whining about how this game is becoming a nickle and dime mmo and how because you pay a sub you shouldn't have to pay extra for cosmetic changes and unlocking items in collectibles

You're confusing posters.

Shut your hole. I fail to see the relevance of your snark when we're talking about two completely different situations. One almost completely avoidable, the other not so.

Reading comprehension ftw.

Yes, I'm not Koppster.

Edit: Never mind, I'm the one getting confused, here. I thought you were confusing her posts for mine, instead, I was confusing her posts for mine, and thought you were addressing me as her.

Nope I was addressing Kop. Kop has no grounds to call someone else on whining while doing the exact same freaking thing. ;)

Shut your hole. I fail to see the relevance of your snark when we're talking about two completely different situations. One almost completely avoidable, the other not so.

Reading comprehension ftw.

It's like I just said you got no grounds calling someone else on whining when you ARE doing the exact same thing in another topic. The context of the topics may be different but by your way of thinking you're also whining.

Edited by Anaesha

Already on.

Already have.

Already done so.

you believe anyone went to war over Hitler's words?? omg, I guess just ban speaking at all and we'll all get along just fine.

Edit: Anyways, the confusing part was telling him to just get over it... He attacked multiple countries before anyone stepped in. They might as well have told him to get over it...

Edited by Bobs_YourUncle

Except I can't use ignore on Bioware to stop them charging me cartel coins for taking a dump in the fleet bathroom.

I can't turn on a cartel coin filter to stop msyelf being charged stupid amounts of rl money for stuff I already paid for by buying the cartel packs in the 1st place

I can't report Bioware to themselves for being a ripoff outfit.

I can't roll another character, or buy a rename, to avoid cartel coin charges.

As I said, different situations and btw, pot-kettle-black, you're whining about someone else whining. Now do shut your hole, as requested.