Clicking done right

FerreusSteelTip

no. it works just fine. emergency brake on while driving = hinderance to moving forward. clicking = hinderance to good game play. sorry you don't like it, but it's patently obvious. if you need an explanation, clicking prevents activation of multiple abilities at the same time, including (first and foremost) mouse turning, which is easily the quickest way to turn. so anyone who's clicking could always be moving faster...just like driving with the brakes on. I'm sorry you're some automobile aficionado who wants to argue the finer points of ebrake mechanics. that's beyond the scope of the analogy and has nothing to do with how analogies work. they're matters of taste. it didn't work for you. fine. don't tell me it didn't work -- for me -- when I say it did.
http://awesomegifs.com/wp-content/uploads/dead-horse.gif

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who notices that there is a GCD that everyone is subject to? The only difference between clicking and keybinding on this game is movement. It really doesnt make that big of a difference IMO. There is no delay between activation of abilities. This game is so unbelievably easy that it doesnt really make a difference.

Bads will be bad. Keybound or not if they suck they will suck either way.

Also a little tidbit of info. With the stigma of clicking it is safe to say that most players keybind. So it is safe to say that there are more ****** keybinders than clickers.

Clicking is bad. Always. Do not click.

This dogma comes from the shooter scene and is for games with good PVP as Guild Wars 2 also authorized. Here in SWTOR with 1.5 seconds GCD there is NO reasonable justification for it.

Edited by Magira

This dogma comes from the shooter scene and is for games with good PVP as Guild Wars 2 also authorized. Here in SWTOR with 1.5 seconds GCD there is NO reasonable justification for it.

If you click you are forced to turn with your keyboard. If you are turning with your keyboard, everyone else will circle strafe you into oblivion

Recorded this gem before original video was taken down:

Lord god...that has to be the worst exhibition of Sentinel gameplay I've ever seen. Please give me the 5 or whatever minutes of my life back that I wasted on watching that trash.

Edited by DarthOvertone

Lord god...that has to be the worst exhibition of Sentinel gameplay I've ever seen. lol

The clipping of Master Strike then Precision Slash gets me everytime. Precision Slash is like on his bars 4 times to minimize cursor traveling between clicks.

edit: quote before edit ftw

Edited by OMGitsCHARLIE

As someone who migrated off of clicking when joining this game I will tell you that its not some dogma, or random BS that players spout because its cool.

Clicking reduces your capability to perform on multiple levels.

The real argument is what is quicker

Muscle memory, or hand eye coordination.

Most clickers if you were like me have to keep an eye on the cursor to know when to click, we have got the motions down and our ability to move our mouse to different areas quickly and efficiantly can be improved with practice and a clean mouse pad area. When I clicked it was imperative that nothing impede my ability to move my mouse.

Now what this means is your attention is on your cursor, and not your character, or buff bar, in fact you spend a great deal of time focusing on your cursor than other things, which may impede your ability to react.

Awareness is key in pvp, if your too busy focusing on your rotation, you will miss key indicators, especially in raids and pvp. Some abilities come with aural ques, but most rely on visual indicators or buff indicators, which means you have to focusing on your toon, and the buff bars. With the need to keep a focus on your cursor, it means you are less aware, and less effective.

That is the biggest argument against clicking. The second argument is that keybinding allows you to use muscle memory to get your rotation down, and you will notice that you spend a lot more time focusing on whats going on around you, which means your more efficient. Not only is your awareness more keen, but muscle memory is much quicker than hand eye coordination, and alot less challenging to improve.

Now im not going to say that clicking alone makes you a bad player, I have a few small accolades from my time clicking with wow and rift, and I even made a video of me pvping and clicking a long long time ago in swtor. However My class knowledge, was definatelty a lot higher than most swtor players at that time. So you can still be an above average player and click, but clicking alone is worse than keybinding. Mostly due to reaction time.

if your looking at getting into keybinding I can definately help you. My first attempt ended in failure, but I managed to find a way that made it very easy.

Edit: Improved comments, and clarified statments, and fixed some gramatical *****.

Edited by Haystak

Precision Slash is like on his bars 4 times to minimize cursor traveling between clicks.

lol saw that. at first, i thought it was gonna be like that video of the guy who only had tracer on his bars and actually defeated the merc who tried to go through a proper arsenel roto against him. then I wondered what happened to all of his other abils that you need to use in combat (mostly utilities), and I finally found them on the far right. that's a long way to travel with the mouse just to make one click and then come back down to the primary roto buttons.

If you click you are forced to turn with your keyboard. If you are turning with your keyboard, everyone else will circle strafe you into oblivion

My mouse has 20 keys, much more than I need, it's no problem to turn and move with the mouse and click simultaneously.

And yes, with a mouse without modifier keys it is not possible, but're MMO mice. So I can with the free left hand drinking beer, smoking, stroke my cat ...

I want to play and not work.:D

YES there is...

Clicking works for PVE, no doubt... mobs and preprogramed enemies dont improvise.. but to be competitive in PVP you need to keybind...

The big difference isnt related to the speed that you can activate your abilities, the BIG, and i mean BIG, advantage of keybindins is movement... being able to rotate really fast to get on somebody´s back and to avoid his attacks...

There is also the benefit of being able to ratate the camera at will (and constantly) with the mouse, wich gives you way better situational awareness...

You absolutly need to keybind to be competitive at PVP, or good operatives and sins will eat you alive...

And the vast majority of comments in this thread are the reason why PvP is dying in this game.

Most of you don't want to help people, you only want to insult them, the vast majority of you.

And don't even think about throwing out the clicker label on me.. I'm a keybinder with 48 keybinds on my Naga, through alt, ctrl, and shift modifiers.

All you keybinders throw out insults and denigrate clickers, and then scratch your head why pvp is so moribund. Guess what, anyone new to MMOs in general and this game in particular will more than likely be a clicker. You are turning off the people you need to grow the part of the game you love, and you are so blind to see it.

There are ways to get people to adopt keybinding, and THIS THREAD IS NOT ONE OF THEM.

And the vast majority of comments in this thread are the reason why PvP is dying in this game.

Most of you don't want to help people, you only want to insult them, the vast majority of you.

And don't even think about throwing out the clicker label on me.. I'm a keybinder with 48 keybinds on my Naga, through alt, ctrl, and shift modifiers.

All you keybinders throw out insults and denigrate clickers, and then scratch your head why pvp is so moribund. Guess what, anyone new to MMOs in general and this game in particular will more than likely be a clicker. You are turning off the people you need to grow the part of the game you love, and you are so blind to see it.

There are ways to get people to adopt keybinding, and THIS THREAD IS NOT ONE OF THEM.

yeah lets all click to spite these ppl

Edited by LeglessChair

Recorded this gem before original video was taken down:

Duuuude (and for the OP, my fellow clicker-nuke Merc, too):

Cooldown-text! Use it!

Sure it's different for everyone, but I almost can't play my Mercs without it (it makes lining up Arsenal's burst --a lot of which have the same or near-same cooldowns, so are at most 2 GCD apart-- easy as cake, and makes I/O feel a little less clunky).

Edited by midianlord

YES there is...

Clicking works for PVE, no doubt... mobs and preprogramed enemies dont improvise.. but to be competitive in PVP you need to keybind...

The big difference isnt related to the speed that you can activate your abilities, the BIG, and i mean BIG, advantage of keybindins is movement... being able to rotate really fast to get on somebody´s back and to avoid his attacks...

There is also the benefit of being able to ratate the camera at will (and constantly) with the mouse, wich gives you way better situational awareness...

You absolutly need to keybind to be competitive at PVP, or good operatives and sins will eat you alive...

i don't see how you can heal a hm/nim ops clicking.

and thank the devs they got you some more space with 270° caasting ability..you could see people dying before being able to activate a masterstrike

yeah lets all click to spite these ppl

That is not what I'm saying..

Ever heard of the proverb, "You catch more bees with honey than vinegar."

A little less acid and a little more sugar might get clickers to come around to keybinding. I know one thing though, insulting people is one sure way to make them dig their heels in and do the complete opposite of what you want, in spite of themselves. It's human nature.

Maybe if the keybinders were a little less vitriolic about it, more clickers would see their point.

I'm pretty sure that telling people NOT to do what the op does and, instead, to keybind, is considered helping them. in fact, it's one of the first things any clicker should do to improve his game in pvp: level up every AC and in the process, retrain yourself to play with keybinds.

Yep, I was wondering when that would make an appearance --it always does in these threads:

Smugly condescending mis-perceived superiority trying to cloak itself as "helping those poor noobz..."

Gimme a minute, people, I think I'm going to need something a little stronger than coffee to maintain sanity whilst dealing with these douchebags.

Oh, and to the FotM Hate-Sin in the last warzone I played last night (Imp v. Imp again, unfortunately):

You just got solo'ed by a clicker in less than 20 seconds, all told. If clicker always = bad, then what does that make you?

Yep, I was wondering when that would make an appearance --it always does in these threads:

Smugly condescending mis-perceived superiority trying to cloak itself as "helping those poor noobz..."

Gimme a minute, people, I think I'm going to need something a little stronger than coffee to maintain sanity whilst dealing with these douchebags.

Oh, and to the FotM Hate-Sin in the last warzone I played last night (Imp v. Imp again, unfortunately):

You just got solo'ed by a clicker in less than 20 seconds, all told. If clicker always = bad, then what does that make you?

Just because someone is bad doesn't mean you're good.

Just because someone is bad doesn't mean you're good.

I never said I was --not even once in my time on this forum: Because I'm not a presumptious, immature little kid.

I'm told I'm not terrible, but see, that's another thing:

These forums, and most game forums, are packed to the rafters with loud-mouthed little insignifi***** going on and on and *********** on about how awesome they are...

Clearly, their mommas never told them about the difference between word and action, and how who talks the loudest often has the least to say that's actually worth hearing.

E:

As mentioned --repeatedly-- up-thread, but I'll say it again anyway:

SW: tOR is so viciously *********** hard that even the most infinitesimally small difference in twitch-time matters!!111oneoneoneeleventy!!

Get over yourselves, and give me a *********** break already, for Dog's sake :confused:

Edited by midianlord

I never said I was --not even once in my time on this forum: Because I'm not a presumptious, immature little kid.

I'm told I'm not terrible, but see, that's another thing:

These forums, and most game forums, are packed to the rafters with loud-mouthed little insignifi***** going on and on and *********** on about how awesome they are...

Clearly, their mommas never told them about the difference between word and action, and how who talks the loudest often has the least to say that's actually worth hearing.

E:

As mentioned --repeatedly-- up-thread, but I'll say it again anyway:

SW: tOR is so viciously *********** hard that even the most infinitesimally small difference in twitch-time matters!!111oneoneoneeleventy!!

Get over yourselves, and give me a *********** break already, for Dog's sake :confused:

Hey man, chill. No need to get angry. It's a forum -- not everyone is going to agree with you.

That said, I'm still an advocate for the Bind4Booty cause, which states that when you keybind, you will defeat more players, hence the "blow dat booty." It's not a matter of opinion, really. When moving your mouse to click something, you have to look at your cursor and both take your eyes off the battlefield and desist mouse turning. Hence, there are detriments compared to just pressing a key.