Weekly server maintenance EU times?

Crenshaw

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so not only does EU want US business hours catered to them, they want free stuff now too?

i can play this game too. i am a disabled american. i do not work so i am home all day. i cannot play right now because the maint times are cutting into my play time. they should have maint done before 6am so i can play.

now does any of what i just wrote make any sense? should the company change things to cater to the disabled americans who don't work? i don't think so. so why should they cater to you.

Well, call me a realist, but I think that 'Disabled unemployed Americans' probably make up slightly less of SWTOR's populace than 'Employed European'.

I'm sure you can do the math to answer your own question from there.

no wonder they close your threads you're all a bunch of cry babies ... And you're not polite about it either .... Come on guys it's just a game get over it it's one day oh no not one day! ... Get over it .... Don't like it find another game

......... One day a week!!!

Not really, I'm at work right now so it doesn't bother me one bit that the servers are down, I just hate people thinking they are entitled to not have any interruption when it's to fix some issues that other people are complaining about.

Wait so for NA its fine to have early morning patching but when EU ask for it we're acting like we are "Entitled"? I don't think this is about entitlement more of fairness.

What about the disruption of Rift, or WoW or EQ or any of the downtime they have for maint?

Last time I looked, WoW is down...oh gee, the same time that SWTOR is down as well, imagine that.

I've never known WoW to apply a 6-8 hour patching cycle in the middle of the UK holidays. :rolleyes:

It's bad when even Blizzard knew that wouldn't go down well.

Actually, the good thing about today's maintenace for me - I got to watch the Christmas TV I missed because I was too busy playing.

You hear that Bioware? I put TOR before Christmas Dr Who - if that's not a testament to how much I love this game, I don't know what is ;)

You WHAT!!!! I was in hospital on Christmas Day, got my wife to bring in my laptop and TV dongle so I could watch Dr Who.

I'm in!!!

Oh wait....No i'm not.

Bioware...this maintenance time is a stab in the european's costumers back. EPIC FAIL. You should take care of us, because as everybody know EU players are far better than US players.

Edited by DalyeisDurr

I agree, I was writing out a well thought about response and when I clicked on post I found the thread was deleted, thanks for wasting my time BW. So rather than write a well thought out response I'll keep it short and sweet. Separate the EU and US servers and have maintenance times that are less un-obtrusive hours, go look up Blizzard they produced a game called World of Warcraft, they'll show you how it's done.

Well at least I was not the only one to get caught by that thread closure. I was working on a war and peace well reasoned reply too and now can't be bothered ;) I will however point towards TRION who understand that their players are not just US based and put out patches at non obtrusive times in both regions that they have servers for. They, like you Bioware, are new to the mmo market and they worked it out so why can't you guys.

1st of all im a European player and yes i would like seperate Maintenance times.

From my point of view i wasnt happy when the server came down this morning but since i work myself in the IT i know how rollouts / Patchdays work and they have to be sheduled and there has been a sheddule.

Yeah its holoday season and yeah im on vacation too and cant play but what ... deal with it ppl i mean if you cant play do somethign else. Go out meet with friends and if your that allone that you dont got any you definatly should go out and make some.

The game is pretty new and im sure on the long run im sure there will be seperate maintenance time. But for starters we are stuck with it. Rather have the servers down during daytime and "normal office hours" in europe then in the evening when everyone is back from work. Be happy they do it from 4-11am instead of 8-13am US timesince that would mean 3pm-8pm in europe.

This argument is pointless. This is a discussion for long-term maintenance.

Christmas is one week. Out of 52.

If you don't have something better to do on Christmas break than play SWTOR - then you need to get your priorities in order.

Then why pay for a game at all, if you decide to set up a pay to play then bugger off and do something else. I hope you arent the one paying the bills in your house, with money sense like that.

The argument is based upon the fact their timing just sucks for EU.. middle of xmas holidays during the day.

This is always the way it has been. SWG was the same as well. Server maintenance and patch times to suit the only customers they care about...the Americans.

Couple that with normally taking down the forums on patch day...just to stop people complaining.

Telling people the servers are going down during off-peak times, when it only really happens for the Yanks. 10am-4pm might be technically off-peak during normal weeks, but not over Christmas holidays where the majority have time off work, or are certainly not at school.

You can never please all the people all the time...fact, but you do not need to keep alienating the same group of people. If split US/EU maintenance is too complicated for your crack programming team, how about maintenance during US off-peak times one week, then off-peak EU times the next? (with an occasional Aussie-convenient time every now and then)

The Americans can read this thread and laugh about the EU moaning about a few hours downtime...but if it was the same time slot, but US time....then we would already be into triple figure pages of US whining.

For you people blindly raging at this issue:

Bioware has the server stats so they probably know when it's off-peak. Note this may mean a global off-peak.

You will not get a refund because of server maintenance. Where in the documents you agreed to does it say this? Almost every MMO will have weekly maintenance, and extended maintenance when doing larger patches. Also note that this game is very new which probably means the patches will take longer than usual.

Personally, it's not the time of day that bothers me, it's the day that they have chosen. Public bank holiday for alot of people, just got rid of family after Christmas and was looking forward to a good days play time before going back to work tomorrow. They could have held off on the patch/maintenance till tomorrow this one time, just shows a certain lack of consideration and local knowledge.

so not only does EU want US business hours catered to them, they want free stuff now too?

i can play this game too. i am a disabled american. i do not work so i am home all day. i cannot play right now because the maint times are cutting into my play time. they should have maint done before 6am so i can play.

now does any of what i just wrote make any sense? should the company change things to cater to the disabled americans who don't work? i don't think so. so why should they cater to you.

Because a huge amount of Americans seem to forget how many people actually live in Europe and have advanced technology like computers too? ;)

I don't get one little tiny detail. I saw these extreme maintenance frames with Blizzard.

But while playing RIFT, I didn't even see anything like that. All I saw notices that shards are gonna be restarted and this will last 10-15 mins. How the heck Trion was doing it I still don't get.... :confused:

Well, call me a realist, but I think that 'Disabled unemployed Americans' probably make up slightly less of SWTOR's populace than 'Employed European'.

I'm sure you can do the math to answer your own question from there.

my point escapes you completely.

its not about the numbers, its the proposed complaint.

I've never known WoW to apply a 6-8 hour patching cycle in the middle of the UK holidays. :rolleyes:

It's bad when even Blizzard knew that wouldn't go down well.

then you did play form the start off, wow had up to 36 hour of downtime and that was not told. and the patch did keep getting extrad, so stop the QQ please

Ok then USA can have the day time down time and Europe can have it when we are all in bed, see how the USA would learn to live with that! if this did happen i would predict every single USA customer would be on here doing the same as the europeans.

you have to take in to account aswell what is something happened and it got extended the that could be a whole day basically.

Before any trolls come along i do have a life, i will go off and do something else i just dont understand why we have to have ours during the day and the USA gets it when no one is playing.

A quote from som one else

"Server maintenance done across system is best practice in the IT world. It saves money on tech labor and allows more money to go to programmers or infrastructure upgrades. This thead is juvenile and short-sighted. "

i have never seen a US server bin down doning the day time bot it is all ways like dat for os in the EU :mad:

While today is still classed as a holiday in many parts of Europe and many of you may still be off work or school, this downtime slot was chosen for a number of reasons.

Firstly, in the past, we've talked on a number of occasions about how we will run a global service. Many players raised concerns that patches/updates would land later in the EU than in the US. We stated that as we're running a global service, we'll do everything we can to make sure the updates go live in both regions as close together as possible. For this to be achievable, we need to run maintenance at the same time.

Secondly, although many of you are able to play at this time, this is actually one of the times in the day (and the week) when we have the lowest number of players in game. It's certainly far from peak. Given that many of you are still on holiday, today's maintenance may feel a bit more out of place than usual, but in the future, the number of users impacted will be even smaller.

Finally it's also worth noting that today's downtime was a little longer than usual and in the future, shouldn't be the case.

So hopefully that's gone some way in shedding a light on the reasons as to why we've chosen this slot.

so why you have so many unhappy players now?

And You think that between midnight and 9am there was more players online then between 10-17 ? congratulations!

I think you are just tired after long shift. Or maybe are you from limerick and you are happy that you didn't need to go to work at night :)

Edited by sszaki