Is ESO making a dent in this game?

AGSThomas

Well i'm sorry my post failed to reach your standard of "credibility".

But in all seriousness, I realize that Biowares lack of interest in SWTOR stems from corporate policies.. and that's most likely because the game was considered a flop and therefore lost hope for alot of future funding.

I disagree with all dev teams getting the same grief just because it's an MMO... only time will tell with ESO but so far the reason i would say it has no chance of flopping like SWTOR is because of the sustainable immersion with crafting/pvp/pve etc. SWTOR was great until you hit 50. Sure, if you go on any MMO forums you're bound to find gripers but SWTOR definately gets alot more than most and sadly that's well deserved...

I'm sorry you disagree. Please link me 5 MMO forums where they aren't now, or haven't been complaining about the dev team not giving a crap. An MMO I was playing 10 years ago had post after post about how no updates were killing the game, and how the Devs didn't care, because they were in Korea. Fast Forward a year, and it's now "all these updates are killing the game, and the devs don't care because", you guessed it, "they're in Korea". Here's a funny, Neverwinter had the same stuff going on, sans devs in Korea, in the first week live. I used to moderate an MMO forum, and there's no more or less hate for the devs here than there was there. I never base my play or don't play on the forums alone. Why, you may ask? Because most of the people here are unhappy about some aspect or another, and/or will be pointing at "How the devs don't care". The same applies across the board on all game forums. Where do you suppose the term "fanboi" originated? All the malcontents trying to shout down people that liked that particular game.

Don't even get me started on PvPers on forums...

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not a new idea, its been done by DAOC for many years and that game is widely considered the best pvp mmo ever made. Its been copied by other mmos like GW2 and Warhammer, both of which tried to tweak the formula and screwed it up.

ESO pvp from what ive seen so far is DAOC with upgraded graphics and action combat. Yeah theres zerg vs zerg keep sieges but theres also small group skirmishes all over the Huge map, not to mention the stealth wars.

I did not say it is new, just that it is an interesting take on the classic instance PvP gameplay most are familiar with. If not for the ridiculousness of player imbalance (and the occasional one shot kill for some reason), it would be interesting...

What I'm trying to say is: there's nothing wrong with liking both. Both games have a place in the gaming world. We don't have to be so polar in our decisions and opinions. SWTOR is going to be around for many more years. New players are coming on board every day. Some will get bored and quit, but that happens with every game. Personally, I love Bioware and Bethesda type games. I'm so happy to play both of these games right now it's crazy.

Personally, I like my games a little darker and can't wait for World of Darkness. Sadly, some SWTOR fanboy will shoot down this game and tell me why it will fail. God forbid we have choices.

What I'm trying to say is: there's nothing wrong with liking both. Both games have a place in the gaming world. We don't have to be so polar in our decisions and opinions. SWTOR is going to be around for many more years. New players are coming on board every day. Some will get bored and quit, but that happens with every game. Personally, I love Bioware and Bethesda type games. I'm so happy to play both of these games right now it's crazy.

Personally, I like my games a little darker and can't wait for World of Darkness. Sadly, some SWTOR fanboy will shoot down this game and tell me why it will fail. God forbid we have choices.

My take is: I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, so the IP isn't what brought me here; BioWare was. I am more of a swords and sorcery kind of guy, but Oblivion never could hold my attention. Because of that, I didn't get Skyrim, although some friends have told me it's worth a look, so maybe someday, but I'm certainly not moving on to ESO. I ignored Mass Effect when it came out because it looked like a shooter, damn my eyes. I actually enjoyed 98% of that trilogy. By all means, play what you like. I tell this to guildies all the time that are "what classes does the guild NEED". I always tell 'em to play what they like, because if they hate a class, they won't want to play it anyway. The same is true for games. I'm getting my money's worth out of this one right now. When that changes it won't be due to a FotM release. It will be because the game has lost it's appeal, and it's time to move on.

have you tried secret world? (and its not just SWTOR "fanboys" that shoot down games, its fanboys in general. their fave is the best, everything else? sucks)

that said, I was excited about world of darkness at first, but... I think it was you who linked some of the info about it? or someone else... damn old age :p and then I did a bit of research on my own and... well.. that's way too hardcore for my tastes. so I guess I'll just have to replay bloodlines when I get an urge for that particular universe. but it may just end up feeding preferences of the people who have been finding recent games not challenging enough.

ESO is having difficulty keeping its servers up, it's not killing this game.

People are just waiting for new patch, people usually log in less towards the end of a patch cycle. Natural.

Every game has this issue at launch. Don't quote me on it but I'm sure SWTOR has had it's problems down the line. So did WoW when it first launched, and so on and so on.

Really I think if anything is going to dent this game it's going to need to be Sci-Fantasy, like that of WildStar, and Star Wars. I think everyone's burned out on killing orcs, centaurs, and everything else.

Every game has this issue at launch. Don't quote me on it but I'm sure SWTOR has had it's problems down the line. So did WoW when it first launched, and so on and so on.
Eh. SWTORs launch worked pretty well from my experience. There was a problem with CD keys not working or not unlocking at the right time, but they fixed that pretty quickly. Aside from that I remember no big problems.

But all in all you're right. An MMO launch will always be a bit troubled, judging the game based on that is a bad idea. Wait a week, maybe even a month and see how it goes then.

/edit: Just checked (god bless the lack of old-post deletion!), wasn't CD keys but a problem with the game not accepting some payment options, which made it impossible to add a subscription.

Edited by Wylf

I did not say it is new, just that it is an interesting take on the classic instance PvP gameplay most are familiar with. If not for the ridiculousness of player imbalance (and the occasional one shot kill for some reason), it would be interesting...

Classic instance PVP :rak_02:

RVR (originally created in DAoC but taken from the wants and desires of the MMOs before it....which none were instanced btw) is just classic PVP expanded. Open world or zoned PVP.

Im thinking back and I dont think instance PVP even existed before WOW.

So hardly classic (as in original or standard)

I think ESO and TOR complement each other nicely in the market. The place where ESO would make the biggest dent has already been hammered to a pulp here: PvP. On the PVE side of things... it's ES with a sub basically. They're not even shooting for the same type of PvE endgame TOR has.

It's direct competition is GW2. Ok it's got VO like TOR but other than that it's trying to hit all the same notes with the fans that ArenaNet did. (Btw, remember AN? They used to be "developers sent from the gods that could do no wrong". They take their fair share of flack nowadays lol) And while cyrodil is done better than gw2s WvWvW pure mechanics wise, I feel combat is a bit better in GW2.

Still ESO crafting and skill system is awesome compared to GW2. So it's hard for a gamer nowadays, 2 good action MMOs with 3 faction persistent world PvP focus on the market. :p

Really I think if anything is going to dent this game it's going to need to be Sci-Fantasy, like that of WildStar, and Star Wars. I think everyone's burned out on killing orcs, centaurs, and everything else.

SW:TOR's launch was as smooth as a babys bottom compared to most MMO launches.

It had next to no serious bugs and the biggest problem people had was that they had to wait in ques to join the popular servers.

Bioware opened up more servers to accomodate the whiners which was a big mistake since numbers inevetably dropped off after the initial hype settled.

Unfortunately the numbers kept dropping after that, but that had nothing to do with the launch and everything to do with BW's underestimation of the content locusts and end-game rushers getting to lvl 50 in about a week instead of the several months BW had estimated, thus making them whine about how there was "nothing to do" at 50...

Hell, some even complained that they had nobody to group with at 50 less than a week after launch... as if that was biowares fault :rolleyes:

SW:TOR's launch was as smooth as a babys bottom compared to most MMO launches.

It had next to no serious bugs and the biggest problem people had was that they had to wait in ques to join the popular servers.

Bioware opened up more servers to accomodate the whiners which was a big mistake since numbers inevetably dropped off after the initial hype settled.

Unfortunately the numbers kept dropping after that, but that had nothing to do with the launch and everything to do with BW's underestimation of the content locusts and end-game rushers getting to lvl 50 in about a week instead of the several months BW had estimated, thus making them whine about how there was "nothing to do" at 50...

Hell, some even complained that they had nobody to group with at 50 less than a week after launch... as if that was biowares fault :rolleyes:

I wish Bioware had told the whiners to stuff it. Other than opening too many servers, SWTOR had an awesome launch.

As a long time SWTOR player, ESO has already won. They have new content releases ALL the time. It may not have launched with a raid system you are used to, but that doesn't mean it won't be released. Actually, since it's a dedicated subscription based game, it will be released. TOR is a retarded cousin next to ESO in terms of toon builds, skill trees, crafting, pvp, character creation, and story based leveling with the option to grind at about the same pace. Lets continue, a changing landscape based on your actions, mount leveling, player driven economy not based off repair bills and cartel market items, public and instanced dungeons, timed end game raids with leader boards, multiple guild system (crafting guild, pvp/pve guild, social guild, trading guild, etc...), customizable interface, add ons, discoverable skill lines (vampire and werewolf) in game guild (Fighters, Mages, Undaunted, Thieves*, Dark Brotherhood* (in next content patch)). And that just touches on basic things.

Crafting in itself kills this game. You can learn multiple styles including daedric and primal, enchanting, alchemy, cooking, woodworking etc.. and you learn armor and weapon traits by breakdown to add to your products. Customized super potions, tons of customized enchantments, harvesting everything etc...

Sorry to say, with new content being released every few weeks instead of every 6 months, it's an obvious choice. And if you want to use that one build for your class in end game or pvp, not use hybrid specs, and be forced into cookie cutter techniques to accomplish anything, then that's your decision.

One factions quest lines and areas are already larger than SWTOR, and you can then do Veteran content in the other ones!!! AND its a MEGA SERVER!

Not gonna touch on it all, but I will say this in closing.

Sorry Star Wars, I love you, but the force is weak in Bioware. I'm switching to a continuously evolving world, where new content isn't just a difficulty, or a planet the size of a daily area... Where the world evolves around you as you progress... Where the in game markets is where I can repair my gear and feed my horse, not buy a $20 mount or recolored outfit.... Where the obvious choice is just that.. obvious.

Bye SWTOR, and see you all when the choice becomes more clear to you... more than likely in a couple months when ESO content shadows over the last 2+ years SW content and you're still waiting for the new instance that drops the same gear you had 2 months ago.

I played ESO for a bit, I got it for free cause a friend pre ordered a copy without knowing his wife pre ordered him a collectors edition copy for his birthday. I liked it, it doesn't beat SWTOR in anything other than the artistry/realism of the graphics and animation and the fact that you don't have any load screens between areas. That is just my opinion.

In my opinion I think that we will see some initial drop off of folks who are Elder Scrolls (Oblivion & Skyrim) fans, but many will be back. Some of the bigtime and hardcore pvp folks will likely stick with ESO in the long term simply because it is so PVP focused. Also, because of the nature of ESO's gearing system, the PvP has the potential to achieve the "balance" between classes that staunch pvper's seek.

The First Person Shooter lovers who wander into MMORPG's and then complain about RPG style PvP (because the PvP they are used to is every character is exactly the same and the only difference maker is your weapon and your own skill) will flock to ESO and never look back.

I think that the folks who adventure and get into end game PvE content will play ESO for a little while, but ultimately will be back. The ESO Dev's have mentioned that they are not putting a lot of focus on end game PvE content at this time and what little they have discussed about it suggests that you won't see reall end game "dungons" ets until late summer... Buzz kill.

As a long time SWTOR player, ESO has already won. They have new content releases ALL the time. .

HA. Game has been out a week (if you even include early release) and they have content releases ALL the time???

You are apparently a time traveler from the future. Please tell me, do we EVER get hover boards?

I have nothing against ESO. I'd like to try it in a few weeks after the hype settles down. I hope it is very successful but your statement is ridiculous.

Edited by Arkerus

Elder Scrolls is really good. I've come back to check out the new flash point and the way the dialogue is done is better in SWTOR along with the cut scenes. That said there is a lot SWTOR could learn from ESO and I hope they do. Now everyone likes different things but ESO feels far more like a living breathing world that is full of places to explore rather than empty worlds and people standing aimlessly on the fleet for a queue to pop.

As a long time SWTOR player, ESO has already won. They have new content releases ALL the time. It may not have launched with a raid system you are used to, but that doesn't mean it won't be released....

BLAH BLAH BLAh BLAH

Crafting in itself kills this game. You can learn multiple styles including....

Blah, blah, blah, blah

Sorry to say, with new content being released every few weeks...

Blah blah blah

One factions quest lines and areas are already larger than SWTOR...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Bye SWTOR...

Goodbye Mr. ESO Dev, I doublt you actually played this game at all. To actually KNOW all this about ESO when the game has only been live for 4 days is a pretty ridiculous statement. Sooooooo Either you are a ESO Dev that is here on the SWTOR forums trying to hype the competitors product or you are talking out of your butt.

FYI your "player driven economy" is just a way of saying "Bethesda didn't couldn't figure out how to make an economy that would work give the way crafting is designed so they decided to just let the player base fend for themselves"

Anyway, Cee-ya later.

No, the statement would be ridiculous if they didn't have content patches planned every few week, but they do, one coming up shortly along with the adventure zones. ESO isn't like Star Wars, where the new content is announced a year ahead of time with micro cartel market patches released to drain your money.

So yeah, just because I said all the time, doesn't mean I was talking in past tense, it means they will have them all the time and in short time intervals. And your comment about time travel is sort of correct, but I'm not from the future, you're just hanging onto the past. But in case you still think that, you will be able to buy a hover board from the Cartel Market for around $15 between the times when little game content is added so don't worry!!!!!

And the hype isn't going to settle down, the game is awesome and there's plenty of ways to play it to stay entertained.

HA. Game has been out a week (if you even include early release) and they have content releases ALL the time???

You are apparently a time traveler from the future. Please tell me, do we EVER get hover boards?

I have nothing against ESO. I'd like to try it in a few weeks after the hype settles down. I hope it is very successful but your statement is ridiculous.

No, the statement would be ridiculous if they didn't have content patches planned every few week, but they do, one coming up shortly along with the adventure zones. ESO isn't like Star Wars, where the new content is announced a year ahead of time with micro cartel market patches released to drain your money.

So yeah, just because I said all the time, doesn't mean I was talking in past tense, it means they will have them all the time and in short time intervals. And your comment about time travel is sort of correct, but I'm not from the future, you're just hanging onto the past. But in case you still think that, you will be able to buy a hover board from the Cartel Market for around $15 between the times when little game content is added so don't worry!!!!!

And the hype isn't going to settle down, the game is awesome and there's plenty of ways to play it to stay entertained.

It's funny, when BioWare did this in the past, they were cutting content to release as DLCs, but when Bethesda does it, it's "oo, look, new content". Yeah, you gotta love the double standard.

As a long time SWTOR player, ESO has already won. They have new content releases ALL the time. It may not have launched with a raid system you are used to, but that doesn't mean it won't be released. Actually, since it's a dedicated subscription based game, it will be released. TOR is a retarded cousin next to ESO in terms of toon builds, skill trees, crafting, pvp, character creation, and story based leveling with the option to grind at about the same pace. Lets continue, a changing landscape based on your actions, mount leveling, player driven economy not based off repair bills and cartel market items, public and instanced dungeons, timed end game raids with leader boards, multiple guild system (crafting guild, pvp/pve guild, social guild, trading guild, etc...), customizable interface, add ons, discoverable skill lines (vampire and werewolf) in game guild (Fighters, Mages, Undaunted, Thieves*, Dark Brotherhood* (in next content patch)). And that just touches on basic things.

Crafting in itself kills this game. You can learn multiple styles including daedric and primal, enchanting, alchemy, cooking, woodworking etc.. and you learn armor and weapon traits by breakdown to add to your products. Customized super potions, tons of customized enchantments, harvesting everything etc...

Sorry to say, with new content being released every few weeks instead of every 6 months, it's an obvious choice. And if you want to use that one build for your class in end game or pvp, not use hybrid specs, and be forced into cookie cutter techniques to accomplish anything, then that's your decision.

One factions quest lines and areas are already larger than SWTOR, and you can then do Veteran content in the other ones!!! AND its a MEGA SERVER!

Sorry Star Wars, I love you, but the force is weak in Bioware. I'm switching to a continuously evolving world, where new content isn't just a difficulty, or a planet the size of a daily area... Where the world evolves around you as you progress... Where the in game markets is where I can repair my gear and feed my horse, not buy a $20 mount or recolored outfit.... Where the obvious choice is just that.. obvious.

Bye SWTOR, and see you all when the choice becomes more clear to you... more than likely in a couple months when ESO content shadows over the last 2+ years SW content and you're still waiting for the new instance that drops the same gear you had 2 months ago.

Oh wow! People on TOR forums defending TOR! What a shock!

/sarcasm off

Seriously, when you ask about ESO on TOR forums, of course you are going to get a lot of replies from TOR defenders. If you asked about TOR on the ESO forums, you would get a lot of replies from ESO defenders. Asking about Game-A on Game-B's forums is pointless because 99% of your replies are going to be from people defending their "home turf".

Edited by The_Grand_Nagus

Oh wow! People on TOR forums defending TOR! What a shock!

/sarcasm off

Seriously, when you ask about ESO on TOR forums, of course you are going to get a lot of replies from TOR defenders. If you asked about TOR on the ESO forums, you would get a lot of replies from ESO defenders. Asking about Game A on Game B's forums is pointless because 99% of your replies are going to be Game B defenders.

I truly like game forums where threads like this are locked with a link to the mentioned competitor's game's forums for discussion of that game.

So yeah, just because I said all the time, doesn't mean I was talking in past tense, it means they will have them all the time and in short time intervals.

Just a friendly advice - wait a month or two, maybe more, and see if they are able to keep their promise on that. Every MMO promises tons of content at launch, and promises like weekly/monthly updates are very common indeed. If they manage to keep their end of the bargain there, good for them, but my past experiences kinda make me doubt that they will... and even if they do it's still questionable if the content will be any good quality wise. Not saying that ESO is bad - hell, I haven't played it, so I have no basis to judge it - but praising something before it's been able to deliver is generally a bad idea.

It's like with politicians, don't judge them by what they promise during the election, but by what they actually do once they are elected ;)

Edited by Wylf