Is ESO making a dent in this game?

AGSThomas

Don't you mean flopped subb only MMO ? As SWTOR certainly hasn't flopped FYI.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

FYI SWTOR flopped. If you can't see that then i'm afraid you're in denial. F2P less than a year, lost hundreds of thousands of subs, cartel market as life support. Yeah, it flopped. Don't take the word literally though as in shut down.

Cheers,

Vallins.

Edited by Vallins

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI SWTOR flopped. If you can't see that then i'm afraid you're in denial. F2P less than a year, lost hundreds of thousands of subs, cartel market as life support. Yeah, it flopped. Don't take the word literally though as in shut down.

Cheers,

Vallins.

EA Estimates that SWTOR made $78 MILLION dollars, World Wide, for them since Christmas...

So, yeah, SWTOR is a total flop. I can't wait till I can produce a product that flops like this...

If you could do us the favor of just staying on ESO and not bothering us on the SWTOR forums that would be great. I mean if you aren't playing SWTOR any more, you hate it and you LOVE ESO so much, why are you still coming over here?

You are bordering on Cyberbullying at this point. You seem to be stalking 2 or 3 users and just posting in every thread they post on you are even changing your Forum Picture and signature to match theirs... While cyber bullying is juvenile and annoying it is also illegal.

I am going to start reporting you if you keep it up.

Edited by RiVaN_

Cheers,

Vallins.

So you call $139 million from microtransactions and about $60 million from subbs last year a flop ? Cool for you I guess. Is it fun living in a fantasy world ?

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Edited by BadOrb

Time-out folks. Something to consider besides ESO, is that it is SPRING time and Spring Break time all over the US. Kids and adults alike are taking time to...OMG...enjoy the outdoors and good weather. .

Yep. I don't know a single person that places ESO. I do know a ton of people that leave their house. I know, cuz I see them outside with me.

Cheers,

Vallins.

Wow you are getting desperate aren't you? ESO must really be bad if you have to keep coming back here to say how great it is, and how bad SWTOR is.:rolleyes:

Kinda pathetic if you think about it.

yeah, the more I play it, the less I like it.

in game community is pretty typical internet warriors, slinging insults from the safety of their homes (or basements, who knows) - which is not different from most MMO's I tried, but its irritating me more in ESO, personally. you know... I didn't regret buying GW2 even though I grew bored with it fairly quickly.. but I'm starting to regret buying ESO.

except.. I guess its helping me appreciate SWTOR more, so there's that.

Right now I'm playing both, alternating between one or the other depending upon my mood. The games are very different, and so they scratch very different itches for me, as it were. I don't know which will win my affections in the long run. Maybe both, maybe neither. But I'm not going to get upset and start slagging off the other side whatever I choose. What is that supposed to achieve, other than making me look like a petty idiot who obsesses over trivial things?

Don't understand why people seem to have this 'rally round the flag' attitude towards something as unimportant as a computer game. You see the same mindset with console wars, or the PC vs. console stuff. Why are we all so keen to be little unthinking, flag-waving drones for corporations that don't give a damn about us? Seems to be a lot of emotion invested in something that really is ephemeral and ultimately of no consequence. I really cannot imagine being angry about someone else happening to like something different to the things I like. Talk about people losing all sense of perspective.

You know you are allowed to like more than one thing. You don't have to pick a side. It isn't an actual war between nations, and nobody is going to get killed.

Wow you are getting desperate aren't you? ESO must really be bad if you have to keep coming back here to say how great it is, and how bad SWTOR is.:rolleyes:

Kinda pathetic if you think about it.

It's both pathetic and funny at the same time. You'd think if he loves ESO so much he'd be there, and not here trolling. I mean, nearly all his posts are about ESO, which isn't bad... if this was the ESO forums... :rolleyes:

Right now I'm playing both, alternating between one or the other depending upon my mood. The games are very different, and so they scratch very different itches for me, as it were. I don't know which will win my affections in the long run. Maybe both, maybe neither. But I'm not going to get upset and start slagging off the other side whatever I choose. What is that supposed to achieve, other than making me look like a petty idiot who obsesses over trivial things?

Don't understand why people seem to have this 'rally round the flag' attitude towards something as unimportant as a computer game. You see the same mindset with console wars, or the PC vs. console stuff. Why are we all so keen to be little unthinking, flag-waving drones for corporations that don't give a damn about us? Seems to be a lot of emotion invested in something that really is ephemeral and ultimately of no consequence. I really cannot imagine being angry about someone else happening to like something different to the things I like. Talk about people losing all sense of perspective.

You know you are allowed to like more than one thing. You don't have to pick a side. It isn't an actual war between nations, and nobody is going to get killed.

Oh yes, there is plenty of things I like about ESO.

If I could, I would definately play it.

But some were coming here to the SW:TOR forums and claiming that SW:TOR is horrible and ESO is the second coming in gaming. Which is kinda pointless to do.

Oh I agree, it does seem pretty silly. But both games seem to have their militant advocates looking to pick fights with people who like the other game.

I simply don't understand what it is that makes us (any of us) become so tribal and hostile about this. It isn't like we're getting all bent out of shape over something important like a soccer match. ;)

Oh I agree, it does seem pretty silly. But both games seem to have their militant advocates looking to pick fights with people who like the other game.

I simply don't understand what it is that makes us (any of us) become so tribal and hostile about this. It isn't like we're getting all bent out of shape over something important like a soccer match. ;)

insulting something you enjoy, calling it crap is pretty much like insulting YOU. (and some people just go ahead and insult people directly as well) how stupid you must be to like this thing, how misguided, how little you understand, how WRONG you are for liking this thing. people get defensive because that's precisely the goal. to put them on defensive.

people rarely get territorial when all you do is tell them how much you love this other thing. you can both like whatever things you chose to and be happy about it.. the issues start when the "territorial" trolls start to push. for many MANY people - the instinctive reaction is to push back. which is what trolls are looking for.

yes, you can like more then one thing at a time. most people do, happily so. you have to be either supremely bitter about something to continuously trash it or just enjoy getting a rise out of people around you. I'd say our intrepid ESO "lover" as a little of both. more second than the first.

This is a standard procedure when a new game launches.

There are always those that in their outmost hope of the new dream game praise and defend it to the skies. The fun part is when the game lands and they find out that it was not what they hoped for they move on to the next one to hype thatone up.

It is a history that always repeats itself, the most recent megahype (except ESO ofcourse) was GW2 and look how that turned out :tran_wink:

We will see this behaviour when Wildstar launches, this I can say with 100% certainty

Edited by Icestar

This is a standard procedure when a new game launches.

There are always those that in their outmost hope of the new dream game praise and defend it to the skies.

Personally I had very low expectations, even though I'm a big Elder Scrolls fan. That's mostly because what I really wanted was another ES single player game, not yet another flaming MMO to play.

The prospect of my Tamriel being filled with Mexican Jumping Beans, trash-talkers, griefers and creepy stalkers was something that filled me with dread. I've always found the Elder Scrolls games to be a very immersive experience, and if there's one thing that breaks immersion more than anything else, it's other people. I don't go to MMOs for that. I'm really only playing it because it is an Elder Scrolls game. I wasn't looking for a new MMO to play at all.

But I guess because my bar was set pretty low in the first place, it is actually exceeding my expectations and for now I am rather enjoying it.

What a radical new development in human behavior...

Personally I had very low expectations, even though I'm a big Elder Scrolls fan. That's mostly because what I really wanted was another ES single player game, not yet another flaming MMO to play.

But I guess because my bar was set pretty low in the first place, it is actually exceeding my expectations and for now I am rather enjoying it.

LOL, I think that is exactly what happened to me. I thought at best id play ESO casually to finally get to play DAOC pvp again with modern graphics. I really didn't think the pve would be very good, like all the other crappy action combat mmos. But after about level 20 or so every new zone started blowing me away, The fact that the decisions you make in your quests really do affect you, really fun boss fights and now I just got to cold harbor and found out I get to build and populate a deserted city. Things like these really got me rallying around the game and I never knew anything about them before actually playing ESO.

And btw I don't want swtor to fail, I want it to improve. I will probably come back when actual new raids come out and I would defiantely come back if the devs stopped with this stupid idea of what they think an mmo should be and just made swtor a real modern mmo for people who actually like mmos.

Edited by Mallorik

Servers are now 'Light' for 60% of the day (not including the night shift midnight-7am). So yes, I think it has. 12 months ago, for someone who pvp's - the terminal would be pretty busy around reset day - rewind to launch, it was packed with people waiting for Ops to Ilum for PvP.

The only time to see what damage TESO and Wildstar have done/will do, will be by Christmas, if both games survive the first 6 months. Remember SWTOR crashed hard after 6 months - 1.7 million left, switched to F2P which essentially saved the game but as subs dwindle, all that's left are F2P ppl running around

Servers are now 'Light' for 60% of the day (not including the night shift midnight-7am). So yes, I think it has. 12 months ago, for someone who pvp's - the terminal would be pretty busy around reset day - rewind to launch, it was packed with people waiting for Ops to Ilum for PvP.

The only time to see what damage TESO and Wildstar have done/will do, will be by Christmas, if both games survive the first 6 months. Remember SWTOR crashed hard after 6 months - 1.7 million left, switched to F2P which essentially saved the game but as subs dwindle, all that's left are F2P ppl running around

Really?

Because right now, at 17:38 CET (5:38pm) every single server is on "standard"... including the US servers... and AFAIK it's around 8:30am- 11:30am in the states... hardly prime time.

I really don't think TESO will make much of a dent in swtor. Most of the people playing swtor are playing it because its star wars and they obviously like it enough to endure it for this long. I think the only people swtor might lose are some raiders (like me) who don't want to spend another 7 months fighting the same 10 bosses and the pvpers who like open world pvp.

Swtor would probably eventually lose them anyways since they wont have open world pvp anytime soon and bioware seems to have switched attention almost completely off of any end game or even organized group pve.

Edited by Mallorik

I really don't think TESO will make much of a dent in swtor. Most of the people playing swtor are playing it because its star wars and they obviously like it enough to endure it for this long. I think the only people swtor might lose are some raiders (like me) who don't want to spend another 7 months fighting the same 10 bosses and the pvpers who like open world pvp.

Swtor would probably eventually lose them anyways since they wont have open world pvp anytime soon and bioware seems to have switched attention almost completely off of any end game or even organized group pve.

This is the truth. Couldn't have been said better. I am sure there are those guilds who don't want to move games and will try to stick with the end game pve that BW dishes out but I don't suspect anyone making serious progress will want to stay in a game with 0 competition in the pve side of the game.

Really?

Because right now, at 17:38 CET (5:38pm) every single server is on "standard"... including the US servers... and AFAIK it's around 8:30am- 11:30am in the states... hardly prime time.

It's the weekend and I was talking about week day. Even you can't deny numbers have dropped off from where they were even 12 months ago. PoT5 remains light for a much longer period now as well.

I dont think TESO will really do much damage here because for many, the animations and combat are just awful but the real test will be Wildstar which, for PvPers offers so much more than SWTOR does. If only Bioware would wake up and actual design instead of rolling out the usual excuses

It's the weekend and I was talking about week day. Even you can't deny numbers have dropped off from where they were even 12 months ago. PoT5 remains light for a much longer period now as well.

I dont think TESO will really do much damage here because for many, the animations and combat are just awful but the real test will be Wildstar which, for PvPers offers so much more than SWTOR does. If only Bioware would wake up and actual design instead of rolling out the usual excuses

I guess it really is a matter of taste. becasue to me at least animations and general graphics in TESO are beautiful, while wildstar irritated the crap out of me within the hour. and that's with having enjoyed every single cinematic they put out. somehow, that quirky cuteness didn't translate well for me into actual game world

that said, it's also spring. and its finally getting warmer. people may be leaving not for other games, but because they simply have played themselves out in TOR. any number of things could be happening. I know that Bioware will have to work pretty hard to keep dedicated pvpers in TOR, especially since this was never intended to be a game with focus on pvp in a first place. they may not even succeed. luckily majority of the population are either hybrid players of pvers. so there's that.

Edited by Jeweledleah

12 months ago my server was about as active as it is right now.

I do suspect that the PvP servers are ever-so-slowly getting lighter and lighter as people come to the realization that SW:TOR isn't a PvP centered game.

But for the most part, servers (even on weekdays) are light only during the off-hours. During regular hours they are usually on standard.

In fact, looking right now, there are 6 servers that are light (2 in europe and 4 in NA) and 4 of them are PvP servers.

Overall I'd say that it's mostly the PvP crowd that is looking for other venues of entertainment. Many have gone to ESO because of its PvP centric end-game but I'm not sure they'll stay. I don't know how PvP friendly Wildstar is so I can't make a judgement on that, but if it is, then alot of the PvP crowd will go there as well.

But for the rest of the servers it seems just like it did 12 months ago (in fact, slightly more)