Is ESO making a dent in this game?

AGSThomas

And the review speaks highly of the OW PVP, which from early on has been the only thing to really catch my eye about ESO. It's good to see that what looked like a really fun aspect of the game seems to be working well and being well-received.

Hnestly at the beginning it was good, however game breaking bugs are going to drive people away from the PVP element. The actual game as it should be played, was fun PVP, masses of people using a twitch style combat to block, cast, hit, etc was fun. However it has been now noted that you can, with the right characters and skills cancel your animations, and still deal damage. This therefore means that if you do it right you can place 5 or 6 hits without ever doing the animations, therefore your player can never block them. Not really skill based!

When you add in the fact that many players play with macro based mice, etc, you just have snoozefest of 1337 PVP players pressing one button to run through attacks that aren't even seen but deal damage.

Add to this that the Vampire Sorcs in game have access to a near invincible set of skills that if chained correctly and using appropriate buffs/debuffs mean that they can deal damage and self heal in their ultimate for a 95% reduction in casting cost, making it spammable(!), you have some broken mechanics that destroy gameplay in PvP.

If they can fix both these issues OWPVP could fun again, there is some feeling thought that the devs may call this "working as intended"

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just checked the swtor review from gamespot got 8/10 so we are technically ahead :)

One persons reviews of two different games. Well I guess that means SWTOR is officially better than ESO!:eek:

That reviewer was just comparing eso to wow, gw2, skyrim etc...and he didnt even say what level he got to before reviewing it, never even mentioned endgame or veteran ranks. He's straight up hated on the game with a few "good things" just to make his shoddy review valid.

I tend to look more at the overall user score than one persons opinion and rating. :)

Edited by Elite-Defender

One persons reviews of two different games. Well I guess that means SWTOR is officially better than ESO!:eek:

That reviewer was just comparing eso to wow, gw2, skyrim etc...and he didnt even say what level he got to before reviewing it, never even mentioned endgame or veteran ranks. He's straight up hated on the game with a few "good things" just to make his shoddy review valid.

I tend to look more at the overall user score than one persons opinion and rating. :)

He gave his honest opinion about the game. That doesn't make it shoddy.

Hnestly at the beginning it was good, however game breaking bugs are going to drive people away from the PVP element. The actual game as it should be played, was fun PVP, masses of people using a twitch style combat to block, cast, hit, etc was fun. However it has been now noted that you can, with the right characters and skills cancel your animations, and still deal damage. This therefore means that if you do it right you can place 5 or 6 hits without ever doing the animations, therefore your player can never block them. Not really skill based!

When you add in the fact that many players play with macro based mice, etc, you just have snoozefest of 1337 PVP players pressing one button to run through attacks that aren't even seen but deal damage.

Add to this that the Vampire Sorcs in game have access to a near invincible set of skills that if chained correctly and using appropriate buffs/debuffs mean that they can deal damage and self heal in their ultimate for a 95% reduction in casting cost, making it spammable(!), you have some broken mechanics that destroy gameplay in PvP.

If they can fix both these issues OWPVP could fun again, there is some feeling thought that the devs may call this "working as intended"

I seriously doubt they call that working as intended. If they do, they will get what they deserve as the PvP is their big draw really.

Overall User Score on Metacritic: 6.3

But personally I'm even more skeptical of aggregate User Scores since they're prone to being skewed by both "I f**king love everything Superman ever! Screw those people who say the N64 game was bad. I'mma vote 10/10 on it a hundred time!" or "Argh, I ran into a bug when I was playing. Game is complete trash! Screw this game - I'll vote 0/10 a hundred times!" and that's not even getting into legitimate trolling attempts.

Again, while I don't put much stock in flat number scores, a lot of what VanOrd said in his review and what Angry Joe, another reviewer I respect, said in his, just make sense and seem fair overall.

Edited by DarthDymond

Call me skeptical, but in my experience "there is some feeling/concern/talk" usually just amounts to baseless speculation - someone (legitimately) pissed about a problem with the game starts (not-so-legitimately) spouting about how he bets the "terri-bad fail!company" that "crapped out a buggy POS" will ignore the problem, and via the magic of the internet that rant somehow gets treated as a reasonable assumption.

If it's that unbalanced, I can't imagine they'll let it stand, especially when PVP is one of their biggest positive selling points right now.

eso is making a huge dent in this game. and when wildstar comes out? bye tor.

and your proof is????

that said... its somewhat ironic, but the more I play ESo (gotta get my money's worth before my 30 days are up, and its not too terrible if you are not paying subscription... just IMO not worth 15 a month), the more I appreciate other games. I mean... even GW2, which I still have installed and logged into.

incidentally... whoever thought it was a good idea to drop you in a main city instead of starting island like in Beta? needs to think very hard about what they have done. if its about stables? they would have been better off adding stables to starting island and letting the story progress organically. becasue right now? its the opposite of "immersive"

Honestly I'm pretty disappointed in ESO. I should have known better, it just isn't feasible for an MMO to be as good as Skyrim but it is strange to play a "sequel" that just seems so inferior. I thought Skyrim's combat was so much better, I'm kind of disappointed in the 1-2-3-4-5 quickbar "EZ mode" attacks. I can't kill NPCs or hire a follower either, ***???

I'll probably have some good fun with it for a while but I have still been playing mostly SWTOR but will throw some Dark Souls II in here and there now as well.

Wildstar looks like kiddies hour, absolutely zero interest.

Edited by Kain_Turinbar

I'll probably have some good fun with it for a while but I have still been playing mostly SWTOR but will throw some Dark Souls II in here and there now as well.

Dark Souls 2. Now that is a totally different experience. Me want some Smough and Ornstein fight.

Call me skeptical, but in my experience "there is some feeling/concern/talk" usually just amounts to baseless speculation - someone (legitimately) pissed about a problem with the game starts (not-so-legitimately) spouting about how he bets the "terri-bad fail!company" that "crapped out a buggy POS" will ignore the problem, and via the magic of the internet that rant somehow gets treated as a reasonable assumption.

If it's that unbalanced, I can't imagine they'll let it stand, especially when PVP is one of their biggest positive selling points right now.

It more comes from things that devs have said in other threads on the support forums rather than a feeling per se, however you may be right it is after all just speculation. Other games such as DCUO also insisted that animation clipping was "working as intended". The trouble being that fixing something as fundamental as animation skip is going to be hard to fix without putting some kind of CD in.

Overall User Score on Metacritic: 6.3

But personally I'm even more skeptical of aggregate User Scores since they're prone to being skewed by both "I f**king love everything Superman ever! Screw those people who say the N64 game was bad. I'mma vote 10/10 on it a hundred time!" or "Argh, I ran into a bug when I was playing. Game is complete trash! Screw this game - I'll vote 0/10 a hundred times!" and that's not even getting into legitimate trolling attempts.

Again, while I don't put much stock in flat number scores, a lot of what VanOrd said in his review and what Angry Joe, another reviewer I respect, said in his, just make sense and seem fair overall.

Exactly, people can just vote 10/10 or vote 0/10 just to lower the score. And with Angry Joes review, it didn't seem fair and didn't make sense overall. But I guess that's just his opinion, that's my opinion on his opinion and again your opinion. It's all about opinions.

Obviously he won't have the time to fully play ESO, he may rate it a 5/10 with the limited time he may have (whilst reviewing and playing many other games) but someone who plays only ESO may rate it an 9/10 if it's the only game they've been playing.

Edited by Elite-Defender

Exactly, people can just vote 10/10 or vote 0/10 just to lower the score. And with Angry Joes review, it didn't seem fair and didn't make sense overall. But I guess that's just his opinion, that's my opinion on his opinion and again your opinion. It's all about opinions.

Obviously he won't have the time to fully play ESO, he may rate it a 5/10 with the limited time he may have (whilst reviewing and playing many other games) but someone who plays only ESO may rate it an 9/10 if it's the only game they've been playing.

so basically, what you are saying is that the only way to rate ESO as great is... not to have anything else to compare it to? that's not exactly a shining endorsement, yanno.

and neither is the argument I'm still amazed at, that "it gets better, later". if the game is not fun to level though, if the game doesn't grab you from the first hour and keeps you interested, it doesn't matter how good the end game is, who has the time to spend close to a hundred hours just to, maybe get to a good part?? reviewers play on, because they do need to get through various parts of the game before they can rate it. average player though? they are in no way obligated to "keep going, cause you'll get to the fun part soon sometime" especially since Veteran content is mainly being able to play through other 2 zones on the same character.. but.. its the same zones you'd be playing through on an alt, so its not new end game content, its just leveling content - scaled up. so... if questing/leveling wasn't fun while, actualy leveling - why would it be fun when at 50? if there were issues with questing and dungeoning etc - before level 50 - how would they disappear, when you come back to those very same zones and very same quests?

Angry Joe and that other reviewer didn't rate the game average, becasue he didn't' have enough time to play it. considering variety of content he has shown in his review as himself playing through and his exact issues with how that content was handled? his opinion is very much based on.. you know, actualy playing the game and various aspects of it, from questing to crafting to dungeoning to pvp.

ESO is not a bad game, far from it. but its not god's gift to MMO's and above reproach, that you seem to want to make it out to be.

Edited by Jeweledleah

so basically, what you are saying is that the only way to rate ESO as great is... not to have anything else to compare it to? that's not exactly a shining endorsement, yanno.

and neither is the argument I'm still amazed at, that "it gets better, later". if the game is not fun to level though, if the game doesn't grab you from the first hour and keeps you interested, it doesn't matter how good the end game is, who has the time to spend close to a hundred hours just to, maybe get to a good part?? reviewers play on, because they do need to get through various parts of the game before they can rate it. average player though? they are in no way obligated to "keep going, cause you'll get to the fun part soon sometime" especially since Veteran content is mainly being able to play through other 2 zones on the same character.. but.. its the same zones you'd be playing through on an alt, so its not new end game content, its just leveling content - scaled up. so... if questing/leveling wasn't fun while, actualy leveling - why would it be fun when at 50? if there were issues with questing and dungeoning etc - before level 50 - how would they disappear, when you come back to those very same zones and very same quests?

Angry Joe and that other reviewer didn't rate the game average, becasue he didn't' have enough time to play it. considering variety of content he has shown in his review as himself playing through and his exact issues with how that content was handled? his opinion is very much based on.. you know, actualy playing the game and various aspects of it, from questing to crafting to dungeoning to pvp.

ESO is not a bad game, far from it. but its not god's gift to MMO's and above reproach, that you seem to want to make it out to be.

If you're gonna make a decent "review" the baseline is to at least get to end game first. And the review is coming from a guy who actually gave GW2 a 10/10....

Edited by Elite-Defender

If you're gonna make a decent "review" the baseline is to at least get to end game first. And the review is coming from a guy who actually gave GW2 a 10/10....

like I said. when your end game is basically scaled up leveling game? and when your leveling game is not fun enough to get to endgame? what exactly is the point in spending all that time before you can make a judgement? are you grasping at straws now?

and maybe he gave GW2 a better score becasue he enjoyed himself more right from the start? seriously, ESO is actualy making me appreciate GW2 a little bit more, which is.. sad. but at least my bags are not filled to the brim with crafting materials I may need at some point, but have no other space to store (because there is no separate crafting materials tab), and cannot reliably sell, because there is no centralized trading. and then there's loot. that occasionally makes SWTOR's cunning and defence canons look reasonable

becasue at least quest rewards in TOR are appropriate - while in ESO its random stuff with random stats, and before you say - you are supposed to get crafted stuff, cause its best - hello, no centralized trading. trading guilds you say? yes, becasue that's exactly why I would want to clutter my guild tab, to have access to guild store that doesn't even load half the time, is still limited becasue its NOT centralized, and even more of a mess to search through then SWTOR's GTN at launch.

and then of course there's a broken fishing system. probably better if there wasn't one, than to keep that half implemented mess in a game... becasue I don't have enough stuff cluttering up my bags already

Elder scrolls online does some things well, and some things... not well at all. and you don't need to get anywhere near end game to see it. getting to around lvl 20 is more then enough. and to reiterate. again. you want to grab your customer immediately. they need to feel invested straight away. becasue that's what gets them to end game. no investment? no player retention. at least in Beta, the story progressed logically. you were dropped on a starter island, met by a person who eased you in and THEN you'd go off exploring and questing. instead of being dropped in a first major city, confused and dazed and wondering... what the hell just happened? and damn it, why is everything so high level and impossible to deal with? where do I go? what do I do? I mean... if you played in Beta - you know. but new player, starting out live? I know how some people just LOVE to praise ESO for not holding your hand with its nonexistent tracking, no minimap, minimal and disappearing UI, but guess what? its not a good thing. not to this degree.

P.S. personal beef and something that was a final nail in a coffin for me, of why I will not be subscribing now, and the jury is still out on a future. healing. healing in ESO is... so basically you are telling me that the only measure of control I have over who gets healed and when is... a couple of seconds of a circle on a ground that I can chose a placement for, and hope that people actualy stand long enough in it to GET healed? not that its particularly visible either to encourage them to stand in it. nope. only bad stuff is. everything else the game decides for me, I just hit the button, and someone, hopeful gets healed? no triage? no decision making? nothing? and it tries to masquerade as a trinity based game? (and yes, it does, use group finder some day. which incidentally is semi decent... but so damn well hidden, too many don't even realize it exists. I only found it myself, becasue someone ONCE mentioned it in zone chat and I started hitting every menu button.)

Edited by Jeweledleah

Personally, I've been having a blast so far. SWTOR was a definite improvement in questing over WoW for me, but TESO steps it up a bit, I believe. It feels more like the original iteration of SWTOR when questing was slow, difficult and very engaging (that is, before the horror of F2P and the eventual simplification of content). In TESO there are over a thousand fully voiced quests, and questing here very much resembles a single player RPG, meaning you can avoid killing waves of mobs and kill-quest objectives. If a village is under attack, your objective is to either kill the head of the attack directly, instead of plowing through endless waves of soldiers, or steal his plans for the attack. Sometimes you can just distract enemies and move through them, I like the options given and sometimes there are dialogue options, changing the course and ending of a quest (and with phasing the world changes accordingly).

Also, phasing means that the world around you is changing, I really appreciate that, and I'm even more motivated to finish certain quest series just to see what will change and how the NPCs will react to me.

Yes, the grouping could be done better, but everything is more or less open-world anyway. Phasing and megaserver mean that there's people everywhere and there are no "steal kills", everything is public. There are dark anchors, delves, public dungeons, world elites to offer variety when questing. For people who actually enjoyed the story in ES games and know something about the lore, and who enjoy questing in general, the game is amazing.

I appreciate that group dungeons, especially veteran ones, are difficult and force you to look at the surroundings and react appropriately. As a healer my responsibility isn't just to heal, but to avoid damage coming from the encounters. I'm not saying healing is better or worse than it is in SWTOR (was an operative healer for almost 2 years), but it is different and doesn't let you have complete control over the situation (it's more or less automated and based on smart heals, but that doesn't mean it's not challenging), you have a limited action bar and numerous healing skills, it's up to you to find out which skills are relevant for certain situations (will you focus on shielding the tank, providing group-wide armor/spell protection, cleansing, aoe healing or simply single target strong healing?). I can't wait for Trials (12 man timed runs) in the upcoming Craglorn (coming in May, I believe). It will take me a while before I complete every dungeon and finish all of the achievements there, so no rush ^^

Furthermore, I appreciate single server technology and smooth performance. Not even WoW runs so smooth for me during massive battles (if I recall Wintergrasp ... well, WoW more or less hasn't focused on massive pvp since then). 100 v 100 battles run more smooth for me (around 30-40 fps) than SWTOR in 16m Ops or sometimes in WZs (when there are huge aoe battles at WZ objectives).

It's not a revolution, it can't even be considered an evolution (some steps forwards, some backwards), it all comes down to preference, because absolutely linear progression doesn't exist in MMO history (nor any history, for that matter). I really don't know where people get the idea that WoW has done everything right since its first iteration Just because it's been going on for a decade, doesn't mean it's been progressing linearly since then. The whole class homogenization, LFR, mind numbing questing, overall simplification, mind numbing heroics, FOUR levels of difficulty for the same piece of raiding content ... as I said, it all comes down to preference. I certainly wouldn't refer to latter features as progression.

Reviews á la Angry Joe are making a great disservice to the game and basically MMOs in general. TESO is an MMO first and foremost, and with that come certain features which are considered stale and too contrived to work in single player games. I vividly remember how people didn't even bother to reach endgame in SWTOR before judging the game or making an effort to find people to group up and finish the wonderful flashpoints (at the beginning SWTOR flashpoints were top notch). Some people are just not MMO gamers and it simply demonstrates that MMO is a niche market, it can't drawn in almost every player like Skyrim did.

The Elder Scrolls franchise is both a curse and a blessing for Zenimax and I fear the damage has already been made. When people rather complain on the forums and write whole dissertations of complaints about MMOs, rather than playing them, then there is something seriously with both the genre and the gamers themselves. Angry Joe reached level 15 or so and quit the game, focused on two quests which were anticlimactic (two out of 1000+), zoomed in on a rock and found the graphics wanting (not actually realizing that you can't make Skyrim-like graphics with HD textures without causing major issues in world pvp or any major grouping activity) ... I mean, this is nitpicking 101 and there are so many other aspects to talk about here his review is nothing but reductive sensationalism, at best.

Edited by Krewel

I'm sorry. but since when "don't stand in bad" is something healers can forget about in SWTOR?

I don't' consider it a mechanic for healing in ESO becasue its something I do anyways regardless of the role I'm playing in pretty much every MMO I've ever played. its a given.

the fact that healing is automated makes it both frustrating and boring. the only challenge to healing in ESO is not to use up your magicka too early and god forbid your group doesn't move out of bad on the ground in time. becasue you are not healing through that (trying means running out of magicka while people are still losing health and you all still die). don't even try. the only class that has "lots" of extra healing abilities to chose from is templar. the rest are limited to what you can get by training a healing stuff with occasional evolving ability from another tree. this is not a meaningful choice.

the questing IS not conductive for grouping. yes. its an MMO. why am I being punished then, for trying to group in it? why am I being discouraged from it unless its a specific limited content like dungeons and dolmens? isn't the point of MMO to play WITH other people? no matter how fun some of the quests are (and btw, you can also avoid combat in SWTOR quests) - the fact that you basically have to do them alone is NOT a positive in an MMO.

and yes, endgame is a part of MMO. but when endgame is basically leveling game scaled up. yes, I have to KEEP saying it apparently, but in ESO, its what it is. its not new content, its leveling content from other factions. trials are not even implemented yet. what exactly is the point of getting to endgame before you can make a judgement? in fact... the fact that that's what endgame is - the same old quests just at lvl 50.

and the thing is... this focus on endgame as the thing that matters, especially in ESO, a game where GETTING to so called end game can take a while? really? really? what sort of player is this game meant for? at least in WoW, where they have pretty much admitted that end game is the game - they made the rest of the leveling super fast and are even selling leveled up characters now (not something I personally think is a good thing, but hey) in ESO leveling, questing IS the game. but you are not allowed to make a judgement of it until you get to 50? seriously? sounds like an excuse to dismiss an opinion to me.

see you may love a lot of the things I don't and that's fair. but a lot of those things is precisely why SWTOR has NOTHING to fear, when it comes to ESO. or any other MMO on a market for that matter.

although I do appreciate these conversations. because you see, I kept trying to like ESO, kept trying to play it in its current state, but... these conversations crystallized why I should stop, at least for now. the things I love about it - single player games do in a way that's more to my taste and the things I don't love about it are not worth trying to power through. not like I'm subscribing anyways. if I ever decide to check it out again, I'll resume where I left off - then.

P.S. your claim that people rather talking on the forums then playing the game is something being wrong with the genre and the gamers made me crack up. becasue obviously nothing could possibly be wrong with a game itself, right? that particular individual game

Edited by Jeweledleah

The peak of SWTOR FP healing was in Lost Island, the first droid boss very much reminds me of the chaos present in Veteran dungeons in TESO. One of the reasons I left SWTOR was their decision to make FPs "tactical" ... if they continued down the road of Lost Island-like FP encounters, I'd have more reason to stay. So far TESO has very good entry dungeons and they pretty much remind me of SWTOR in its inception. I have yet to see the Trial runs, though. Healing isn't anything special, I liked SWTOR healing because of limited resources at your disposal (unlike WoW in which you have everything at your disposal, and the fights have to become disco light shows to compensate, meaning macros abound ...) and I like TESO for the same thing - you run out of magicka rapidly and, on top of that, limited action bar means adapting for individual fights.

The kind of patch Craglorn is can be compared to the glorious patch 1.2 in SWTOR when the game tried to convince you huge updates like this were worthy of subscription. If they continue to push Craglorn-like updates in the upcoming months, the game is certainly worthy of my sub. Another reason why I can't stand SWTOR anymore is their minuscule patches and housing being considered as the main feature of an expansion. People talk of standards in MMOs and compare them to WoW ... well, for me, the kind of updates an MMO receives is a big factor in deciding long-term investment. The main reason why I stayed in WoW for five years was their massive updates. True, Craglorn could simply be a singular massive update, a coup de grace of TESO before it succumbs to the pressures of the marker and opts for F2P ... I've had first-hand experience with SWTOR regarding this subject and I certainly won't follow TESO down the same road.

Grouping works for questing, I haven't had much issues. Phasing can cause problems, but if your party members are at the same stage/phase, everything is smooth. You don't actually need grouping for questing since there are people popping in and out everywhere and every mob/quest objective is public.

Levelling is part of endgame, not the whole endgame, but right now a major part of it. For me in SWTOR, the blind alley of endgame awaited me as soon as I concluded chapter 3 back in December 2011. At least in TESO the blind alley is postponed and since questing is something I thoroughly enjoy, it's a refreshing experience, meaning I'm not thrown into dungeons and raids immediately, but rather phased into the enemy faction zones (with a little help from Meridia) and confronted with veteran difficulty which can sometimes be quite brutal. There are six difficult veteran dungeons made for veteran content and then there's a whole zone of content in Cyrodiil (not just pvp, but loads of quests as well). On top of that, dungeon achievements progress your Undaunted skill lines, which will probably be very useful for Trials. Blood Altar at the moment is very useful for quick AoE healing. MMOs will always trick you into grind-based activities to make you play longer than what is usually considered a standard in single player games. TESO decided to go for more levelling on top of initial levelling and more focus on dungeoneering than throwing you straight into raids. In other words, there's enough endgame content at the moment.

A lot of people will be discouraged to reach Veteran rank 10, I definitely agree there. People will complain if reaching level 50 will take a few weeks and people will complain if reaching VR10 will take more than that, Zenimax can't win. Well, if one wants mindless levelling á la WoW, then, by all means, there's WoW. At this stage I'd like to think that TESO is more catered to a niche audience and that it can stand on its own this way. Craglorn will be made for VR10 players (VR12 will be max), so they're furthering the design, I hope they keep it that way down the road.

SWTOR has nothing to fear? Of course not, the title of this thread is about two years too late. SWTOR had that fear (or, well, at least I had that fear for the game) after release - will there be enough subs to maintain the game as a sub MMO ... will there be enough content to keep those 1.8 mil subs they bragged about ... Is there enough variety to keep players away from Pandaland, etc. SWTOR is already F2P and lost as many subs as it can and convinced the remainder that Galactic Strongholds is an expansion worthy of a triple A story-based MMO. In fact, ESO has a lot to fear right now.

It will probably go F2P eventually (all the signs pinpoint to that, including the hate bandwagon which uncannily resembles the whole "Tortanic" debacle), so I'll enjoy it until, eventually, the game becomes a dress-up mini-game *shudders

About your post scriptum - you can laugh all you want, but the sad state of gaming today is just that - endless wave of whining and bickering over layers of unabashed opinions without any depth or real reasoning. There are huge issues with the game, but sensationalists like Angry Joe blow things out of proportion, meaning nitpicking details about two out of hundreds of quests and try to dismiss the rest of the game because of that. Duping and bot issues have become a staple of almost every MMO. There is no central AH in TESO, so complaining about duping while it doesn't even affect you is being disingenious at best. Then there's this whole debacle about immersion and what really cracks me up is the complaint (coming from Gamespot, which is all the more worrying) that the game doesn't work well because you can't roleplay a thief when there's people running around. There are conventions to an MMO genre, there are features and contrivances which are a standard ... that makes it a niche genre, more or less (WoW is an exception to the rule, and not for the same reasons). I really wish the reviewers would take that into account.

In my opinion, a very good review came from IGN - http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/31/the-elder-scrolls-online-review simply because the reviewers evaluated based on the standards/conventions relevant to the MMO genre, and not a single player RPG like Skyrim.

Edited by Krewel