Is ESO making a dent in this game?

AGSThomas

Also like TOR at Launch ESO has no real end game content other then RVR.

Now make no mistake, RVR is a billion times better then what TOR offers up in its simplistic, childlike, Warzone PVP content. So if you have a good connection and are comfortable with minimalist interfaces (sorry I find them boring) the RVR will probably appeal greatly to the PVP style player looking to test themselves. So that small portion of SW:TOR will probably be gone.

They just announced this today http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2014/04/07/introducing-craglorn?ref=rss The group adventure zone and first 12 and i think soon 24 man dungeon trials (ranked competitive raids) But yeah they don't have it at launch. And I still question peoples excuse that swtor had no endgame at launch, I thought it had pleanty and I was in a harcore raid guild when swtor hit live, it may have been buggy and frustrating but it was there.

When I first played beta and even for the first 10-15 levels when it went live I thought ESO would only be about pvp for me. I didn't care for the UI and Ive never seen a good action combat mmo i.e NWN and GW2. Then I got into the higher level dungeons and wow, ive never had so much fun in group level pve since crawling through sebilis in EQ1.

Edited by Mallorik

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was surprised to see the server window at prime time over the weekend with my server not Very Heavy. There could be a lot of reasons for that, but one might be ESO. It sort of makes sense that people will try a new game for a while.

When the game was first announced, I was quite interested in it. Then I learned of its PvP bent and that's just not me, but I was still interested. Then I played it during game test and that was more than enough to convince me I wouldn't buy it.

I have a feeling that it will draw some smallish percentage of SWTOR players away for a month or maybe two, tops, then most of them will return.

You also have Wildstar bringing the numbers down. The weekends they do beta and I know people from here are playing there. I have not played tor in a few weeks because im on Wildstar. this past weekend the only tot i did was friday but, I was playing Wildstar with tor running just so i can check the deals on the CM. Come June I think is when Tor will see a drop in player subs, i know ill cancel mine cause i wont pay for this and Wildstar. I will come back and see how the housing does.

Well when ESO finishes downloading 2 weeks from now( 12hours and only at 13%) I will play it some( beta was ok I just need a small break from swtor). But will say as it is now players will be gone for 1-2 months but 2 years from now it will probs see the same improvements swtor has seen over the past 2 years.

This game is already dented beyond imagining, I think most people who are still here are here because there simply isn't a better alternative for a Star Wars MMO.

or... maybe there are some people who still have fun, who still have friends they hang out with and still have good times. I don't know just guessing.

I'm torn. I had no intentions of even trying ESO but a couple of things in this game pushed me toward it so I went out and bought it today. I've always been invested in one game at a time. Sure, I will try new games, for a day or two, but I never have more than one that I consistently play over a period of time, usually years. So it's basically down to what ESO can deliver . I'm going in with the mindset of treating it like a single player so if I like it I don't see myself playing Swtor until i've finished the main arch, possibly never again since I rarely go back to games I've once moved on from. It really depends on how much content ESO has too because I've had my mind set on the Destiny Beta for years now and it's scheduled for the summer.

For all I know I could be back here tomorrow. I'll certainly not give up on the forums though, they're a time killer at work.

Edited by MidichIorian

There is nothing wrong with playing other games. you really shouldn't limit yourself to just one game or game type for that matter.

While I understand where people are coming from with the "It is okay to play more than one MMO" line of thought, the fact is a lot of us simply do not have that much time to devote to video-games on a regular basis, so if it is a game that requires a lot of time (or more importantly a subscription fee) to get the most out of it, chances are we are going to pick one game and stick with it for a considerable stretch of time.

There's a reason I cancelled my WoW subscription when SWTOR came out. It really would have been a waste of money to sub to both.

To OP's question, it boils down to how big an impact you would consider a "making a dent". Did number dip recently because ESO just came out? They certainly did to some extent (although it actually wasn't significant enough that I noticed any real difference on my server- at least when I was playing). But numbers probably dipped yesterday because Wrestlemania was on, too.

The real question is going to be whether ESO has a long-term impact on SWTOR's population. And given how different the games are and the cyclical nature of a lot of MMO players' gaming habits, I'm guessing it won't be that significant overall.

or... maybe there are some people who still have fun, who still have friends they hang out with and still have good times. I don't know just guessing.

You are right, playing terrible games is often made more bearable when doing it with people you enjoy interacting with.

You are right, playing terrible games is often made more bearable when doing it with people you enjoy interacting with.

terrible in your opinion, I myself and others still find it fun and love playing it, if I didn't I would have left long ago

Edited by Sangrar

While I understand where people are coming from with the "It is okay to play more than one MMO" line of thought, the fact is a lot of us simply do not have that much time to devote to video-games on a regular basis,.

LOL I have all the time in the world and dont understand playing 2 MMOs at same time.

It eventually comes down to which you like more and then you play that one more.

Never understood those types that claim they can play multiple MMOs at same time.

Had a buddy who just left for ESO from TOR and he would go raid in old EQ every week end.

I would ask him why because he gets nothing outta it (hes done the content 1000 times over, has all the gear, nothing left to get for him). He would not play EQ any other time of week just once a week for raid.

Just dont see why you would carry a monthly sub for one single raid each week (that was hit or miss at best anyways because of no shows).

Off line games I understand playing while being in a MMO

but 2 MMOs?

LOL I have all the time in the world and dont understand playing 2 MMOs at same time.

It eventually comes down to which you like more and then you play that one more.

Never understood those types that claim they can play multiple MMOs at same time.

Had a buddy who just left for ESO from TOR and he would go raid in old EQ every week end.

I would ask him why because he gets nothing outta it (hes done the content 1000 times over, has all the gear, nothing left to get for him). He would not play EQ any other time of week just once a week for raid.

Just dont see why you would carry a monthly sub for one single raid each week (that was hit or miss at best anyways because of no shows).

but 2 MMOs?

Because $15 isn't much to a lot of people. And its as much as you would pay to go see a movie. So instead of paying $40 over the course of a month to see a movie every weekend, he pays $15 to do a raid every weekend.

but 2 MMOs?

in the end it comes down to a very simple answer. becasue they want to.

for some people 15 is a lot of money and I mean - a difference between eating and not eating for a few days. for other people its a cost of a single 2 hour movie in a theater WITHOUT popcorn etc (so weekly raid is STILL a better deal). it costs me $20 to go to an archery range once a week and that's just the rental fee - this doesn't include transportation costs, replacing arrows that wear out from use, etc etc

so why not?

also from personal experience at least it made no dent in my guild. several guildies ARE playing, me included, but we're playing concurrently with SWTOR. (hell I'm here right now, mainly becasue I'm waiting for our guild's ops group to finish filling up, so passing time for a few minutes :p)

Edited by Jeweledleah

Why do players seem to get so defensive with these types of topics? i've played ESO, and it's great. It has a different feel and Zenimax has some really cool things they've created. I'm not going to add spoilers here, but it plays better than what I watched on Youtube during beta in my opinion. It WILL take players away from SWTOR. So what? Some will return, and new ones will start. Competition is good. The game makers will either fall behind and have to close shop (we've seen this before), or add more content to keep up and gain new players.

I'm playing both and if i stop SWTOR, that doesn't mean I won't be back.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you don't have to say how horrible ESO is because you feel some need to defend STWOR or you feel threatened somehow. More gaming options are always in your favor, whether you stay or go...

Guess what? There's SWTOR devs that probably play ESO.

I also bought ESO but the game has had it's issues and the support is very bad like lots of people still can't login to the game.

But it does have some very cool add-ons and this is where SWTOR has gone wrong because tor is lacking that little bit of spice.

All MMOs will have unforeseen problems at launch. That's the nature of the game, no pun. SWTOR did too and still does. Also, posters make it out as if ESO will not improve. Look at STO. It got a 6/10 score. PVP issues, bugs etc. Heck the Klingon side was hardly written. The dev's have been working hard and correcting issues and adding content. It didn't hold me for very long, but it wasn't as bad after one year as it was at launch.

Don't think Zenimax isn't going to add to their game too. I think housing will be awesome in ESO. Crafting will be better. More PVE stories. It's so realistic and beautiful, but you know what? I also like the artistic look of SWTOR! Very much.

You're most likely hearing that because it's true. Hey, if people still enjoy SWTOR for what it's worth then good for them.. to each is own... but to actually believe that ESO won't put a serious dent into SWTOR is just foolish. People saying that either 1. haven't played the game, or 2. Are too attached/fanboyed to admit the reality, that this game really shouldn't have been an MMORPG because it cannot sustain long term play-ability.

ESO is actually very, very impressive and i say that non- bias as someone who has dug into alot of MMOs. Here's some things that ESO has that SWTOR does NOT:

1) Very unique skill/combat system - any class can go in pretty much any direction, there is no cut and dry class based linear gameplay.

2) Crafting is remarkable better, itemization in general really

3) PVP DONE RIGHT. can't stress this enough. If you don't believe me just check out some of the live feeds on twitch. You honestly can't even compare it with the PVP (or lack of) in this game.

4) and lastly... most importantly... a dev team that actually gives a ****, unlike bioware whom can't seem to pop out more than one minor update per month and it usually contains reskinned cartel packs or other ways to slurp up the rest of your $$ with micro transactions before this game reaches it's not-so-distant doom.

Call me a troll all you want, but it's the truth. SWTOR has no future.

I have not even checked out ESO, I have no interest. However, I hear in the forums/general chat that ESO is killing SWTOR. I've heard this several times over the past 2 years and didn't think much of it. But this past weekend I noticed that my PvP queue times are significantly longer than before ESO came out...

These kinds of threads just make me shake my head, because the people who post them obviously dont put much thought into it. How so? Well quite simply, the people who have left this game for ESO wont be here to reply to this thread. Thats what "leaving" means; they arent here anymore. Therefore, the only people who will be replying to this thread are the ones who are still here, meaning you are getting a completely one sided answer, which is meaningless. If a million people left this game to go play ESO, but a hundred people reply to this thread to say "I'm still here", then all you see are the people still here, which doesnt tell you anything about the people who left.

Edited by The_Grand_Nagus

Did the ESO beta, up till launch, I just could not get into that game at all. I've pre ordered almost every game on the market for the past 13 years, this is one I would never waste my money on.... Wildstar on the other hand, I did have a lot of fun with in the beta this past week :eek:

You're most likely hearing that because it's true. Hey, if people still enjoy SWTOR for what it's worth then good for them.. to each is own... but to actually believe that ESO won't put a serious dent into SWTOR is just foolish. People saying that either 1. haven't played the game, or 2. Are too attached/fanboyed to admit the reality, that this game really shouldn't have been an MMORPG because it cannot sustain long term play-ability.

ESO is actually very, very impressive and i say that non- bias as someone who has dug into alot of MMOs. Here's some things that ESO has that SWTOR does NOT:

1) Very unique skill/combat system - any class can go in pretty much any direction, there is no cut and dry class based linear gameplay.

2) Crafting is remarkable better, itemization in general really

3) PVP DONE RIGHT. can't stress this enough. If you don't believe me just check out some of the live feeds on twitch. You honestly can't even compare it with the PVP (or lack of) in this game.

4) and lastly... most importantly... a dev team that actually gives a ****, unlike bioware whom can't seem to pop out more than one minor update per month and it usually contains reskinned cartel packs or other ways to slurp up the rest of your $$ with micro transactions before this game reaches it's not-so-distant doom.

Call me a troll all you want, but it's the truth. SWTOR has no future.

Agree. Anyways, in best case scenario it's more like:

1. SWTOR player in TESO > yes i like it and bored (lots of reasons - choose one :D) with SWTOR > SWTOR lost one sub
  2. SWTOR player in TESO > yes i like it, but SWTOR still my fav game > nothing changes for SWTOR, but TESO wins :eek:
  3. SWTOR player in TESO > nah this is bs, but im bored (lots of reasons - choose one :D) with SWTOR > SWTOR lost one sub
  4. SWTOR player in TESO > nah this is bs, but im bored (lots of reasons - choose one :D) with SWTOR > SWTOR player in WildStar :eek::p > SWTOR lost one sub
  5. and sad one... SWTOR player in TESO > this is pure crap, but im bored (lots of reasons - choose one :D) with SWTOR > SWTOR player in WildStar :eek::p > this is pure crap too!!! >>>>>> MMORPG lost one player. :(

Btw, im in TESO now - not so good but still new experience for me, and waiting for WildStar....

Edited by Glower

4) and lastly... most importantly... a dev team that actually gives a ****, unlike bioware

Your post lost all credibility with this gold nugget.

Give it a couple of months, and the ESO dev team will be getting the same abuse that every MMO dev team gets.

It's as consistent as gravity.

I have only tried provisioning, alchemy and enchanting so far, so my current opinions are based on that

things I like about TESO crafting:

1. researching recipes in alchemy and enchanting with materials I find in a world.

things I dislike about TESO crafting.

1. no trainers. you find recipes or you don't, there is no certainty. presumably you are supposed to trade with other players? lack of auction house makes it a drag.

2. having to go to crafting stations - those crafting stations being spread all over the place a lot of times.

3. having to press r for each individual crafted item, there isn't even a crafting queue that will allow me to afk while I'm crafting (since my character is stuck doing that)

4. having to spend my skill points on crafting - same skill points I need to be spending on combat abilities.

thing I'm going to test out as soon as I level up.

1. provisioning henchman. every 24 hours for materials but could still add a bit of convenience. I hope.

I don't know about crafting being objectively better. it certainly works very differently from TOR. but to be perfectly honest? so far, I prefer TOR. mainly because I can do that wherever I happen to be, whenever I feel like it without having to stop everything I'm doing and concentrate on pressing "r" crafting in ESO IS very old school. seems like the style appeals to many people and that's cool.

there are a lot of things I like about ESO very much, personally. but there are also more and more things that I'm finding I'm starting to dislike. I guess its not nearly as much a game for me as I initially thought it would be.

but, I'll say one thing. ESO gives people something very different from TOR. so I don't know how much of a dent it will make really, but I think I agree with people who brought up GW2. it will probably be somewhat of a similar impact. maybe a bit rougher on pvp. don't know. still have yet to try it.

Your post lost all credibility with this gold nugget.

Give it a couple of months, and the ESO dev team will be getting the same abuse that every MMO dev team gets.

It's as consistent as gravity.

Well i'm sorry my post failed to reach your standard of "credibility".

But in all seriousness, I realize that Biowares lack of interest in SWTOR stems from corporate policies.. and that's most likely because the game was considered a flop and therefore lost hope for alot of future funding.

I disagree with all dev teams getting the same grief just because it's an MMO... only time will tell with ESO but so far the reason i would say it has no chance of flopping like SWTOR is because of the sustainable immersion with crafting/pvp/pve etc. SWTOR was great until you hit 50. Sure, if you go on any MMO forums you're bound to find gripers but SWTOR definately gets alot more than most and sadly that's well deserved...

I like swtor for it's starwarsiness. So the only thing that makes me (and likeminded players) go is lack of time or lack of interest (the actual game has little to do with it, as long as 'my preferred classes/specs' don't get totally broken or frustration climaxes or things just get boring. :D