Is ESO making a dent in this game?

AGSThomas

No, the statement would be ridiculous if.....

I thought you said good-bye....

You can't come back after you say good-bye. Now we have to have that whole tearful separation all over again, oh wait...

So Long, Farewell, Alveterzane, Adieu.

Hope you have fun and stay there, I guess I'll see you on the ESO forums talking about how great Wildstar is when it is finally released.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 30/45 days, this game will start bleeding subs. Just like every other MMO that's released in the past six years.

Nothing new here. Once the shiny/new/bloom is off the rose, it will be business as usual. ESPECIALLY when ESO players start hitting end game.

There is very, very little to do..........

After 30 days, ESO will lose a vast chunk of its population, just as with every other new P2P game. After that, they will have to decide whether or not to continue with a sub, or work on a F2P system for the near future.

Remember all of the people who claimed *insert new MMO here* would kill off WoW? Well, it's the same situation with SWTOR versus ESO. In other words, SWTOR will be fine.

Goodbye Mr. ESO Dev, I doublt you actually played this game at all. To actually KNOW all this about ESO when the game has only been live for 4 days is a pretty ridiculous statement. Sooooooo Either you are a ESO Dev that is here on the SWTOR forums trying to hype the competitors product or you are talking out of your butt.

FYI your "player driven economy" is just a way of saying "Bethesda didn't couldn't figure out how to make an economy that would work give the way crafting is designed so they decided to just let the player base fend for themselves"

Anyway, Cee-ya later.

I just wanted to butt in here for a moment.

many of Zenimax developers have been in business for a long long time, we're talking decades. they have done a lot of different things, and they are far to mature to resort to trash talking on other game's forums. honestly? I don't see any of the major developers coming to competitor forums and trash talking to hype their game becasue they have PR departments and if they are smart experienced enough to work on these complex giant games - they are smart experience enough to know that this trash talk has the opposite effect and makes their game and its community look bad.

so no, these posters who come in trash talking? are not developers. they are NOT hired by the companies to do that.

now... does astroturfing happens? yes. yes it does. but it tends to come without included trash talk and usually shows up on review and rating sites, NOT forums.

that said... even if I do end up playing ESO past first month (jury is still out, though currently leaning to "no") I wouldn't be playing through all 3 factions on a single character. I will visit for the purposes of grabbing skyshards and occasional lorebook, the way I might go back to some planets here and there and grab datacrons and codex entries, but that's about it. being an altoholic and the fact that in order to experience crafting fully, I cannot do it all on a single character? yeah.... which incidentally is something that amuses me about ESO. on one hand - you have account wide bank. on the other hand - this means a lot less overall storage space. and then there's a matter of your vanity pets, maps etc - basically pre order, deluxe edition etc rewards being one per account. not per character. per account. I can't figure out if they want to encourage you to have alts? or discourage you.

I just wanted to butt in here for a moment.

many of Zenimax developers have been in business for a long long time, we're talking decades. they have done a lot of different things, and they are far to mature to resort to trash talking on other game's forums. honestly? I don't see any of the major developers coming to competitor forums and trash talking to hype their game becasue they have PR departments and if they are smart experienced enough to work on these complex giant games - they are smart experience enough to know that this trash talk has the opposite effect and makes their game and its community look bad.

so no, these posters who come in trash talking? are not developers. they are NOT hired by the companies to do that.

now... does astroturfing happens? yes. yes it does. but it tends to come without included trash talk and usually shows up on review and rating sites, NOT forums.

that said... even if I do end up playing ESO past first month (jury is still out, though currently leaning to "no") I wouldn't be playing through all 3 factions on a single character. I will visit for the purposes of grabbing skyshards and occasional lorebook, the way I might go back to some planets here and there and grab datacrons and codex entries, but that's about it. being an altoholic and the fact that in order to experience crafting fully, I cannot do it all on a single character? yeah.... which incidentally is something that amuses me about ESO. on one hand - you have account wide bank. on the other hand - this means a lot less overall storage space. and then there's a matter of your vanity pets, maps etc - basically pre order, deluxe edition etc rewards being one per account. not per character. per account. I can't figure out if they want to encourage you to have alts? or discourage you.

You want to know why I never even looked at WoW? Their community members on every other game forum I've ever been on. I didn't need to go to their forums to see what the community was like, on average, since I had samples from 8 or 9 other games telling me that I didn't need to be associated with them.

You want to know why I never even looked at WoW? Their community members on every other game forum I've ever been on. I didn't need to go to their forums to see what the community was like, on average, since I had samples from 8 or 9 other games telling me that I didn't need to be associated with them.

all games have trolls. unfortunately. that doesn't speak for the quality of the game, or even quality of the community inside the game (so far my experiences in ESO for example have been very pleasant, and TOR in game is much MUCH nicer than TOR forums)

all I'm saying is - people like that are NOT officially sanctioned.

Today was the first time I logged in for almost 2 months and on a content update day it took me over half an hour to que for a brand new flash point. I can't say that is all because of ESO but it does got to show this game has a very poor player population.

Or, alternatively, that a lot of people are at work? Back when I worked for a living, I'd still have 4 hours or so of work left before I headed back to the house, and I may have been at work for 8 hours already.

Alternatively, it may be that the queue is full because people are actively running the content, or not queue-ing for that because they are checking out the new NiM op?

Could be you're correct in a decline of population too. In the US, it's Spring, and people are going to the dreaded outside world for things after being cooped up all winter. None of this is particularly jarring to me, nor is it new. I've seen it in every MMO I've ever played, no matter how successful or otherwise it is.

Making conclusions on one single, isolated occurance is generally a bad idea. If you play the game for an extended period of time and your experience stays consistent, then you can use that experience to determine if the game has population problems or not.

As it stands, you were unlucky once. That is unfortunate, but doesn't say anything about how well (or badly) populated the game is.

Or, alternatively, that a lot of people are at work? Back when I worked for a living, I'd still have 4 hours or so of work left before I headed back to the house, and I may have been at work for 8 hours already.

Alternatively, it may be that the queue is full because people are actively running the content, or not queue-ing for that because they are checking out the new NiM op?

Could be you're correct in a decline of population too. In the US, it's Spring, and people are going to the dreaded outside world for things after being cooped up all winter. None of this is particularly jarring to me, nor is it new. I've seen it in every MMO I've ever played, no matter how successful or otherwise it is.

Well before I even stopped playing queuing for pvp and GSF on my server was impossible outside of peak hours and low level pvp never popped even during peak hours. Games population is struggling, no if ands and buts about it.

No, the statement would be ridiculous if they didn't have content patches planned every few week, but they do, one coming up shortly along with the adventure zones. ESO isn't like Star Wars, where the new content is announced a year ahead of time with micro cartel market patches released to drain your money.

So yeah, just because I said all the time, doesn't mean I was talking in past tense, it means they will have them all the time and in short time intervals. And your comment about time travel is sort of correct, but I'm not from the future, you're just hanging onto the past. But in case you still think that, you will be able to buy a hover board from the Cartel Market for around $15 between the times when little game content is added so don't worry!!!!!

And the hype isn't going to settle down, the game is awesome and there's plenty of ways to play it to stay entertained.

So in what year did you build the time machine and when will you provide proof that they had patches and releases "all the time"?

Oh? They don't have new market items. Lol. Now that's funny.

Edited by Arkerus

Well before I even stopped playing queuing for pvp and GSF on my server was impossible outside of peak hours and low level pvp never popped even during peak hours. Games population is struggling, no if ands and buts about it.

Just because I may be playing one of my 6 55s instead of playing my lowbie alts? I have hit the queue for GSF exactly 3 times since it's release, and they were when only Subs had access, and the longest queue I had was 10 minutes. None of my actively pvping guildies have said anything about waiting inordinate amounts of time for a queue to pop, at any level range. So I'm not sure what's happening for you. I do know, however, that the guy on Tatooine the other day, that was having some kind of obsession thing with Pubes will swear the game's dead, since about 170 people blocked him, and being blocked makes queues really hard to get into randomly, since ignored players won't get into groups with people that blocked them. No implications being made here, just an observation.

Today was the first time I logged in for almost 2 months and on a content update day it took me over half an hour to que for a brand new flash point. I can't say that is all because of ESO but it does got to show this game has a very poor player population.

Every game gets old and you need a break

I left TOR for over 12 months and swore I would not return until Housing, Paazaak, and/or Swoop Bike Raceing was added to game.

But since ill be away (shoulder surgery) for housing launch I resub'd early.

And found Im quite enjoying SW:TOR again. Even when Im doing the same things as I was before I left. The break did me wonders on revitalizing the game for me.

As for poor population, not sure where you guys get that as at 2 am est Im still seeing populations in game. Still switching instances to get away from heavy populated instances. Fleet still has 5-6 instances of 200+ each during prime time. People are playing SW:TOR still.

ESO will appeal to some people yes but its not a SW:TOR killer because SW:TOR has a vastly different experience to it that many like more then the twicth gaming interface of ESO.

And having played and LOVED RVR in DAoC I know first hand that a huge percentage of the modern Warzone PVPer will get chewed up and spit out in Open field RVR that ESO offers. So expect those people to eventually bash ESO RVR and return to the safety and security of the lesser Warzone experience.

Just because I may be playing one of my 6 55s instead of playing my lowbie alts? I have hit the queue for GSF exactly 3 times since it's release, and they were when only Subs had access, and the longest queue I had was 10 minutes. None of my actively pvping guildies have said anything about waiting inordinate amounts of time for a queue to pop, at any level range. So I'm not sure what's happening for you. I do know, however, that the guy on Tatooine the other day, that was having some kind of obsession thing with Pubes will swear the game's dead, since about 170 people blocked him, and being blocked makes queues really hard to get into randomly, since ignored players won't get into groups with people that blocked them. No implications being made here, just an observation.

I can assure you its nothing to do with blocks, when people work or other things they might be doing. I've played the game since launch and for the last 8 months less and less players are around in the game. You go to any of the planets and they are dead, the daily areas dead, raiding guilds falling apart, pvp not popping like it used to.

It should be no surprise though, content updates take longer and longer and the quality of the updates continue to plummet as well.

Its sad this game isn't what everyone wanted it to be but there is no use in defending it. Its in a really good spot for everything that happened but at the end of the day this game is just a cash grab.

If someone wants to play a fantasy game instead of a sci-fi then it is up to them ofcourse.

What does this statement even mean? Are you just making the obvious comment that people have free will? Ok...and the sky is blue and grass is green. What is the point in stating something so obvious?

Edited by The_Grand_Nagus

What does this statement even mean? Are you just making the obvious comment that people have free will? Ok...and the sky is blue and grass is green. What is the point in stating something so obvious?

It means exactly as you read it, if someone prefers fantasy games over sci-fi they can play that instead.

I basicly point out that ESO and SWTOR is not the same genre, when it comes to blasters and lightsabers this game rules :tran_grin:

Edited by Icestar

The population seems healthy. I'm wondering about PVP though. On a day with the new huttball map, I figured pvp queues would be jumping. It was fairly slow for one to pop earlier when I was hanging out on fleet with at least one instance at about 170 people on it.

What server are you on? I play on RE and my longest queue time for one of the new FPs was under one minute both on rep and imp side and there were people forming groups for the FPs in general chat as well.

It means exactly as you read it, if someone prefers fantasy games over sci-fi they can play that instead.

Ok...? I'm still trying to figure out what your point/motivation is in stating that people have free will to make their own decisions. Did you think someone said they didnt?

Ok...? I'm still trying to figure out what your point/motivation is in stating that people have free will to make their own decisions. Did you think someone said they didnt?

Seriously?

All s/he said was "It's cool that some people like [X], but I prefer [Y]", not really sure why you've focused in on it like that.

Newsflash: on forums like this it is often a good thing to explicitly say things that should "go without saying" such as saying "This is just my opinion, but I believe GSF sucks".

Of course the "This is just my opinion" is completely redundant, because there's no way that "I believe GSF sucks" can reasonably be taken as anything except a statement of personal opinion. But if you don't put it there, then you better believe someone who's a fan of GSF is gonna jump in and make a whole post about how "That's just your opinion! It's not a fact! Stop speaking for everyone!"

By the same token, putting in qualifiers like "It's fine if other people like..." or "I'm not saying some people don't...." etc, etc, etc. is often the only way you can actually make a point without someone completely derailing it. Nice of you to demonstrate that there are people who are willing to derail even those comments that do use such disclaimers though.

This was very interesting.

That's pretty amusing. Realistically I'm sure most, if not all, of those issues are going to be addressed fairly quickly, but I'm kinda surprised that is something that would make it past beta.

On the flip side, I am regularly impressed by the look of ESO whenever I see footage of it. No intention of playing it myself, but I can appreciate that it does have a lot going for it - launch issues like in that video aside.

Edited by DarthDymond

I did not say it is new, just that it is an interesting take on the classic instance PvP gameplay most are familiar with. If not for the ridiculousness of player imbalance (and the occasional one shot kill for some reason), it would be interesting...

That's what I mean, its not a take on instanced pvp. Its a concept that was around before instanced pvp. The "instance" you may be talking about are the campaigns but they are really just servers, not instances you can jump in and out of on a whim. When you pick one you cant change for quite awhile and to get credit you need to stay on that server until the campaign is over.

As for player imbalance I don't know if you mean op classes/builds or population. I cant speak for the op/classes or builds because I haven't run into one. And for the population issue, its the precise reason people like and want the 3 faction system so badly.