Is ESO making a dent in this game?

AGSThomas

Seriously?

All s/he said was "It's cool that some people like [X], but I prefer [Y]", not really sure why you've focused in on it like that.

Well said

Back on topic, I am seeing players that went to ESO come back to SWTOR only after a few days.

Perhaps it was not the game they were looking for :csw_c3po::csw_r2d2:

Edited by Icestar

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today was the first time I logged in for almost 2 months and on a content update day it took me over half an hour to que for a brand new flash point. I can't say that is all because of ESO but it does got to show this game has a very poor player population.

I ran NiM Dread Fortress last night and there were 18 instances of it. That was at 10pm so The player population isn't that low. I also ran the New FP's at around 11:30PM EST and there were 24 instances of the Korriban FP so again I'm thinking that maybe you are either on a server that has an odd population or maybe an Odd peak time. Maybe you were logged on at non Peak play time?

I still see a lot of people on and playing all the time so I honestly don't think that SWTOR has much to worry about from ESO. If anything the added competition is going to make the SWTOR dev's work that much harder to keep us entertained. After much thought and a good night sleep I think that SWTOR will be just fine and will even get stronger. It's older MMO's that better be worried.

Well before I even stopped playing queuing for pvp and GSF on my server was impossible outside of peak hours and low level pvp never popped even during peak hours. Games population is struggling, no if ands and buts about it.

I would say that your server is having issues, but I checked the status of all servers last night at 9PM EST and saw that all but the EU servers showed at least Heavy population and that JC, Shadowlands, POT5, and BAstion were all at very heavy. Granted we don't exactly how many people were playing last night at 9pm EST, but it seems like it must have been alot.

Edited by RiVaN_

I have not even checked out ESO, I have no interest. However, I hear in the forums/general chat that ESO is killing SWTOR. I've heard this several times over the past 2 years and didn't think much of it. But this past weekend I noticed that my PvP queue times are significantly longer than before ESO came out...

That's because PVP is better in that game. Simple really.

ESO is making a dent, look how many pages there are on this thread. ;)

Edited by Vallins

That's because PVP is better in that game. Simple really.

ESO is making a dent, look how many pages there are on this thread. ;)

Yes, and they are all here having a good time playing SW:TOR :)

Seriously, if people were really off playing ESO they wouldn't be here on the SW:TOR forums.

ESO is already starting to lose subs because of the numerous problems people are having with logins not working, the game crashing, people getting logged out every 5-30 minutes, trolls taking all the loot in dungeons and more.

Just have a look in their customer support forum for a nice read...

LOL I have all the time in the world and dont understand playing 2 MMOs at same time.

It eventually comes down to which you like more and then you play that one more.

Never understood those types that claim they can play multiple MMOs at same time.

Had a buddy who just left for ESO from TOR and he would go raid in old EQ every week end.

I would ask him why because he gets nothing outta it (hes done the content 1000 times over, has all the gear, nothing left to get for him). He would not play EQ any other time of week just once a week for raid.

Just dont see why you would carry a monthly sub for one single raid each week (that was hit or miss at best anyways because of no shows).

Off line games I understand playing while being in a MMO

but 2 MMOs?

Well a few years ago I did play 2 MMO's , they where the same exact MMO though just on 2 different consoles and they had 2 separate servers. You are correct though I did indeed play on the server ( console ) I enjoyed the most. thus I had 3 characters on one and 6 characters on the other ( my favourite ). I remember on one occasion crafting on both MMO's at the same time , it was mental and funny at the same time. O the game was PSU.

I shall be playing a second MMO again soon , but again I do think one will be my main MMO which will be SWTOR , the second will be Asiasoft's English PSO2 , waited so long for it in English. There will be an IP block though so yeah unfortunately I will have to pretend to live somewhere else in the world , but I am not waiting any longer and even though in the Japanese PSO2 TOS it says no one outside of Japan can play , they still let them in regardless.

So to answer your question , yes you can play two MMO's but you will ultimately play one more than the other.

As to ESO and WS , well I'm fantasied out and WS looks like banjokazooie / Dragons lair , not too SCI-fi looking to me , but good luck all who sail within them.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Edited by BadOrb

Well said

Back on topic, I am seeing players that went to ESO come back to SWTOR only after a few days.

and I'm one of those.

I mean... I never actualy left TOR, but I really should have played BETA more extensively before jumping on this bandwagon. preorder bonuses as it turns out are not even all that worth it, with what being per character not per account (and all I got from the maps are couple of blue weapons), other than my imperial (which is not tied to preorder), I ended up sticking with lore appropriate races per alliances anyways.

every day I encounter design decisions that annoy me, they just keep piling up. some of them Zenimax may change down the road. others are likely to remain the same. but I went last night into my account page and canceled the recurring subscription you had to set up in order get free 30 days.

mandatory skill point distribution choices coupled with having to join things like mage and fighter guilds at the right time if you wanted to complete certain quest chains without having to pay 3 times as much gold as the quest would reward on completion - was the last straw. I have encountered "persuade or bribe" quests before that, but at least the bribe was less than the gold reward at the end of the quest, so I was annoyed, but not THIS annoyed.

just one more minor thing on top of pile of other minor things. I'm sure there will be people who actualy find the very same features that pushing me away - to be asset to game play. I just have a feeling that very few of those people are or were SWTOR players.

P.S. I've been running a whole bunch of my characters through pvp post ESO release, both lowbies that I plan to take to 55 over double xp weekend and my 55ves. since they made obroan relics purchasable with regular warzone coms I wanted to upgrade a few extra alts and not all of them had coms stockpiled. I was able to do so with zero issues. I also had no trouble getting into flashpoints on them, was even surprised when I queued a few time for both regular and Kyat simultaneously and regular flashpoints popped first. so my server at least doesn't have much to fear from ESO, from personal experience at least.

Well said

I'm not one of those. I haven't logged into SWTOR for over a week because i've been playing ESO. But it's nice to come on here and see what you guys are talking about :)

Yes, and they are all here having a good time playing SW:TOR :)

Seriously, if people were really off playing ESO they wouldn't be here on the SW:TOR forums.

Well I just said, I'm playing ESO right now and looking at these forums. :rolleyes:

ESO is already starting to lose subs

Source? :) Because if you don't have a source, then it shows you're desperate.

look in their customer support forum for a nice read...

At least you're allowed to complain on that forum without being brutally attacked by the defenders there :rolleyes: Now why don't you toodle along and make some more youtube videos about swtor? :)

Edited by Vallins

Well I just said, I'm playing ESO right now and looking at these forums. :rolleyes:

At least you're allowed to complain on that forum without being brutally attacked by the defenders there :rolleyes: Now why don't you toodle along and make some more youtube videos about swtor? :)

It's sad you have nothing but attacks instead of valid arguments.

ESO is already starting to lose subs because of the numerous problems people are having with logins not working, the game crashing, people getting logged out every 5-30 minutes, trolls taking all the loot in dungeons and more.

Just have a look in their customer support forum for a nice read...

Don´t forget when players had to wait in queue to pay for the game when it launched. I read about it and decided to see for myself, and it really was almost 2 hours to be able to pay.

Anyways, I wish them good luck and welcome all players back to SWTOR when they return :tran_wink:

Edited by Icestar

The issue with ESO attempting to make a dent in any game is, their end game pve. I mean **** their end game pve consists of dungeons and 'instanced" bosses which are their raids. They aren't going to be taking any of the Pve crowd away from this game.

The only game I can see taking away the hardcore raiders from this game and by hardcore I mean the people who are taking down NiM content, is Wildstar. The raiders that are looking for a challenge will move where the challenge is being presented to them, maybe that will get the swtor devs to actually put in gear checks into the harder instances and start coming up with clever ways of extending content, I understand not every guild will clear the instance but the guilds that can and will clear it, will have nothing left to do for another 3-6 months. I could see ESO taking some of the PvP population but not sure for how long.

The issue with ESO attempting to make a dent in any game is, their end game pve. I mean **** their end game pve consists of dungeons and 'instanced" bosses which are their raids. They aren't going to be taking any of the Pve crowd away from this game.

The only game I can see taking away the hardcore raiders from this game and by hardcore I mean the people who are taking down NiM content, is Wildstar. The raiders that are looking for a challenge will move where the challenge is being presented to them, maybe that will get the swtor devs to actually put in gear checks into the harder instances and start coming up with clever ways of extending content, I understand not every guild will clear the instance but the guilds that can and will clear it, will have nothing left to do for another 3-6 months. I could see ESO taking some of the PvP population but not sure for how long.

I didn't think ESO would attract raiders at first either, but Ranked timed progression raids with a leader board just might even pull hardcore raiders from wow. Just depends how well they are done I guess.

I didn't think ESO would attract raiders at first either, but Ranked timed progression raids with a leader board just might even pull hardcore raiders from wow. Just depends how well they are done I guess.

I think it all depends on how well Mythic raiding works out in WoW honestly. I mean hell the raids change each week in Wildstar. If WoW can't come up with something new I could see them taking a big hit in raiders.

You've never needed sources for your claims so I just figured I didn't need any either.

But judging from their customer support section (where people are claiming that they have stopped their subscriptions due to some of the bugs) I'd say they are losing subs.

Oh and there are already "defenders" there, but why even go there when I can get attacked by ESO defenders right here :rolleyes:

You've never needed sources for your claims so I just figured I didn't need any either.

But judging from their customer support section (where people are claiming that they have stopped their subscriptions due to some of the bugs) I'd say they are losing subs.

You seem to overlook the fact that many people have their first 30 days of sub time free. So techinically they are not losing subs.

Oh and there are already "defenders" there, but why even go there when I can get attacked by ESO defenders right here :rolleyes:

So you intentionally bait these ESO defenders here? :rolleyes:

Have you seen the customer support forums here right now? How about the first week this game was released?

Edited by Mallorik

Have you seen the customer support forums here right now? How about the first week this game was released?

He probably doesnt remember the first week of release. I certainly do though. (inb4 posting history argument and isnt a valid argument)

And he's comparing 2 forums. This one being a flopped MMO and the other being ESO which has JUST been released.

Edited by Vallins

You seem to overlook the fact that many people have their first 30 days of sub time free. So techinically they are not losing subs.

Nothing free about it since you have to register for payment to get those 30 free days and they deduct the money from the account immediately and not after those 30 free days have passed.

So yes, they are losing subs. Technically.

So you intentionally bait these ESO defenders here? :rolleyes:

Do I? How?

Yes, and yes.

It wasn't nearly as bad as the ESO forums are right now during SW:TOR's first week. It was mainly about the long ques and that was (unfortunately, if you ask me) fixed pretty fast.

Nothing free about it since you have to register for payment to get those 30 free days and they deduct the money from the account immediately and not after those 30 free days have passed.

So yes, they are losing subs. Technically.

Ever heard of a verification fee? They deduct the money and they put it straight back in for your account to get 30 days free. So no, they are not losing subs, because it's the free 30 days.

Edited by Vallins

He probably doesnt remember the first week of release. I certainly do though. (inb4 posting history argument and isnt a valid argument)

And he's comparing 2 forums. This one being a flopped MMO and the other being ESO which has JUST been released.

Don't you mean flopped subb only MMO ? As SWTOR certainly hasn't flopped FYI.

Cheers,

BadOrb.