Breasts, Butts, Big Hair and Lightsabres?

Samaul

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not even sure what the OP is talking about. I haven't seen too many skimpy outfits in game, myself. Or maybe its because I'm desensitized to it from so much science fiction. After all, what sci-fi show doesn't have the occasional skimpy outfit dancing chick? Star Wars, Star Trek, Farscape...and heck, the updated BSG has enough TV sex on it on it to count. Even Firefly as a main character is a professional ******!

Sounds like the OP should stick to old episodes of Space 1999 if scantily clad people offend him so much.

I'm not even sure what the OP is talking about. I haven't seen too many skimpy outfits in game, myself. Or maybe its because I'm desensitized to it from so much science fiction. After all, what sci-fi show doesn't have the occasional skimpy outfit dancing chick? Star Wars, Star Trek, Farscape...and heck, the updated BSG has enough TV sex on it on it to count. Even Firefly as a main character is a professional ******!

Sounds like the OP should stick to old episodes of Space 1999 if scantily clad people offend him so much.

Besides the captain, she was one of my favorite characters on the show.

Really?

I have enjoyed this thread. I really have. Especially coming from reading a book on human morality that says we basically make snap decisions about what is right or wrong, and then go through all kinds of mental gymnastics to justify our gut feelings.

You can see this clearly in the OP, who started this thread by expressing his own honest "icky" feelings (and those of his girlfriend) about the b00bies, butts, big hair, and ... blighsabers? (I guess alliteration isn't among his talents.) Since then he morphed his argument to be about how the so-called sleaze isn't in keeping with the spirit of the original source material (ignoring repeated refutations via reference to scantily clad females in SW canon).

But what I find more interesting is the butting of heads between those who point out that people should be able to dress their avatars as they like, and those who push for adherence to some kind of social norms. Both sides believe so thoroughly in the self-evident correctness of their own opinions--without acknowledging the validity of their opponents'--that many posters in this thread honestly can't even imagine the opposing side is sane or serious. This is so similar to the bipartisanship running rampant in American culture that it isn't even funny.

Truthfully, there is some merit to the desire for everyone in the game to add to their fellow players' immersion by dressing appropriately for their character/environment/social class/whatever. Equally valid is the argument that being able to dress their characters however they like is an important part of the game for some players. In the middle, we have BioWare, willing to take everyone's money, regardless of their core values.

I'm not here to say which side is "right" because really both sides have legitimate points. And both sides have equal probability of converting the opposing side to their viewpoint. (Hint: the probability is significantly lower than that of successfully navigating an asteroid field.)

Just because I enjoy playing Monopoly for the financial aspects doesn't mean you can't enjoy it for the social parts, and vice versa. Similarly there's more than one way to play SWTOR. Some people live to solo, others love grouping with friends, and still others are only here to RP. Some love being immersed in the Star Wars universe, while others enjoy it as LOTRO with lightsabers. And that's OK. There's room for all of us.

(In all honesty, though, I still don't understand the complaint about big hair. Is that considered a sign of sexual promiscuity? Is it just for females, or are males with big hair also suspect? Are bald people necessarily inexperienced? And is it height, width, length, or overall volume of hair that determines one's purity of character?)

In any case, the discussion has been fascinating. I would encourage everyone to check their own assumptions, search their hearts for their initial knee-jerk reaction, note their own ability to argue based on that gut feeling, and then find a way to keep enjoying the game anyway. Cheers!

Precisely.

My standing is this . . . it is a game, which i CHOOSE to play. i LIKE how the game is. Granted i refuse to play it free because i can;t stand the limitations of F2P, so i CHOOSE to subscribe. I CHOOSE to give my money and I CHOOSE to go into the places and story-lines of SWTOR. If someone or something in the game offended me on the scale that the OP "thinks" he is supposedly offended by, I'd CHOOSE to log off and play another game.

I could care less if there are bikinis or not. I am a PvE player who solo levels characters and when a character reaches 55 I start another class, and I am so wrapped up in story-lines and cut-scenes that I don;t even notice other players around me. Yet the OP is apparently obsessed with other players and not even focused on his own game. To me that would be a waste of money or . . . if free to play - a waste of precious time.

The OP makes it seem like people are being forced into doing something as if this is real life. There are SO MANY Star Wars games out there . . . play one of those. He CHOOSES to play SWTOR though, and then gets so psychologically ADDICTED to the game that it becomes his life. He has shown clear evidence of MMO addiction that, if he even does have a real life GF (I am convinced at this point that it is probably one of his female companions and that he believes she is the one getting jealous every time he has to go to a cantina for a quest), then I actually feel sorry for her for dating someone who is so wrapped up in a game that he CHOOSES to play. If he put half of this much determination into his relationship, she might not be so insecure and jealous of the SWTOR environment. Again, a reminder that there are DOZENS of Star Wars games on the shelf, and he is free to CHOOSE to play one of those :)

Thus I still stand by my prior posts that the OP has a serious psychological issue with game addiction - proven by his posts in general and response to others who have repeatedly proven his standing as an inaccurate argument.

Now if the OP will excuse me . . . which he will . . . I have some game time set aside with my sweetie, who is secure in our relationship and could care less how another player is dressed (she is like me - wrapped up in the story and could care less about other players). But I part with a piece of advice . . . if what other players matters so much to you that it can offend or upset you, then MMO games are NOT for you, and i again refer you to one of the DOZENS of Star Wars games still on the shelf for you to enjoy without the environment that is upsetting you so much.

Also . . . another reminder: It's just a game. :)

Edited by Faelandaea

OP seems a bit of a prude.. no offense, but really. If you don't want to see any of this kind of stuff in a game.. you may want to go live with the Amish. Our cultures have been evolving for some time and images like this are more and more common (More so in Japan whom are alot more open). Don't like it? Don't play. Really quite simple. But you'll find that many other games have similar features.. if not worse.

Ashoka Tano disgusts me to be honest. why sexualise someone who is underage so much? that and shes more annoying than jar jar.

She isn't any more sexualized than the average real-world girl of her age. In fact, there are a lot of kids in her age category that dress much, much more provocatively.

Yes, burqas and hijabs all round, I say! That'll learn the damn hussies!

My young nephew saw Natalie Portman's belly button when he was five, and is now in a young offenders' centre. Coincidence? I don't think so.

I'm so sorry, may the force be with your nephew.

I am sorely disappointed to find none of the items in the title displayed in this thread.

What a misleading way to garner attention, you should be ashamed of yourself sexualizing the star wars forums like this, what if my kid could see breasts, butts, big hair?

I better make sure to not teach em to read or they could get corrupted by CARTOON CHARACTERS

Ashoka Tano disgusts me to be honest. why sexualise someone who is underage so much? that and shes more annoying than jar jar.

In what way is she sexualized? You can see her midriff, so scandalous...if youre Amish. She has no *****/butt/cleavage showing/makeup/etc...If anyone gets turned in by that I think they would get turned on by any little girl wearing anything.

I signed up to play Star Wars, not Sleaze Wars. You are appealing to the wrong customer base with the nearly-naked Sleaze avatars BioWare. You are going to lose a lot of good customers who dont want to see it. I know my girlfriend doesn't want me to see it. This may sound a bit coarse but I did not bring the coarseness into this game, you did BioWare. If I wanted to see that crap in an mmo, I would play an adult mmo where you could have your every sick, twisted fantasy fulfilled. I lead a family friendly guild. There is nothing family friendly about sleaze wars.

For the record, I dont have a problem with the following game content or features:

Same sex companion/master relationships.

Skimpy costume wearing club dancers or even club dancer costumes as long as those costumes look like star wars costumes from the star wars canon.

I do have a problem with sleazy elements from pop culture being injected into SWTOR including big hair, jog bras, tube tops, string bikinis etc. I am not interested in playing some cheezy, teasing adult MMO. Those elements just demean a great game and canon. I want EA/BW to show some respect for the game.

To make matters worse, I play on an RP server. I am a rolepolayer, I lead an rp guild. You are turning the game into a joke with this Sleaze wars crap. Half-naked club dancers I can understand but jog-bras on jedi and sith? Seriously? Please remove this crap from the game or at the very least RP servers. I am a star wars fanatic but I am no prude. I have read all of the novels and graphic novels on ToR. There is nothing canon about Breasts butts, big hair, string bikinis and lightsabres.

You are going to lose a lot of good paying customers over this BioWare, me and my guild for starters. Enough of this crap, do something about this BW. We have a profanity filter, how about a sleaze filter? Make it client only, allow us to freaking turn it off or something. And please, please remove sleaze-wars from RP servers.

For the record, I am not alone in these sentiments. I lead a multi-gaming community with over 2,000 members in WoW, Guild Wars 2, PlanetSide 2 and SWTOR. The leaders and officers of our guilds are in broad agreement with me on this. We have a lot of couples and families in our organization. Our organization is a family-friendly organization and we will not support any game that is not family-friendly.

Wait wait wait, hold on a second. We can get string bikinis in this game? Can you link me to the vendor please.

Wait wait wait, hold on a second. We can get string bikinis in this game? Can you link me to the vendor please.

Social vendor on Nar Shadaa, and Security Key vendor on Pub fleet :D Though technically the tops hide the bottoms because they have the cloth flaps in front and back :p

She's not sexualized though. Just because the top bares her belly doesn't make it a sexy outfit.

Now, if you mean the fan art **** out there, that's what's disgusting and is actually sexualizing her.

In what way is she sexualized? You can see her midriff, so scandalous...if youre Amish. She has no *****/butt/cleavage showing/makeup/etc...If anyone gets turned in by that I think they would get turned on by any little girl wearing anything.

This post made me smile - funny because it can be true.:D

Hardly "string" now is it?

Exactly. those Slave Girl/dancer sets don't count since they are one of the few sets ingame that are actually part of the canon.

I want real bikinis!

edit: oh and bigger hair, much much Bigger!

Edited by Naked-Snake

Exactly. those Slave Girl/dancer sets don't count since they are one of the few sets ingame that are actually part of the canon.

I want real bikinis!

edit: oh and bigger hair, much much Bigger!

What about big butts?

I like them, and I cannot lie!

Our organization is a family-friendly organization and we will not support any game that is not family-friendly.

I think this is the only part of your rant that we need pay attention to. This is code for American Evangelical Christians trying to force their set of archaic mores on the rest of us.

Edited by TheOuroborus

I know the slave Leia costume is iconic, and she killed Jabba while wearing it, so it's awesome, but she was not wearing that outfit by choice. Maybe it makes sense for Vette to wear it if you're playing Dark Side, but otherwise these outfits do seem a little out of place in Star Wars. I think the main issue is that BioWare has been a bit too...generous...in their variety of dancer/loungewear outfits. The Republic and Imperial Dancer outfits weren't enough, so they had to add new skimpy designs with multiple re-skins in each Cartel shipment? The thing is, they are so common in the Cartel packs that people end up with so many you can't even give them away (or vendor them). People who want these armors have enough choices already. How about they design more long-sleeve robes (like Marka Ragnos but without the scary accessories)?

I know the slave Leia costume is iconic, and she killed Jabba while wearing it, so it's awesome, but she was not wearing that outfit by choice. Maybe it makes sense for Vette to wear it if you're playing Dark Side, but otherwise these outfits do seem a little out of place in Star Wars. I think the main issue is that BioWare has been a bit too...generous...in their variety of dancer/loungewear outfits. The Republic and Imperial Dancer outfits weren't enough, so they had to add new skimpy designs with multiple re-skins in each Cartel shipment? The thing is, they are so common in the Cartel packs that people end up with so many you can't even give them away (or vendor them). People who want these armors have enough choices already. How about they design more long-sleeve robes (like Marka Ragnos but without the scary accessories)?

I get that the Cantina's on Tatooine were iconic, but why is every bar/pub in the galaxy called a Cantina?

It offends my inner snob:p