Breasts, Butts, Big Hair and Lightsabres?

Samaul

I know the slave Leia costume is iconic, and she killed Jabba while wearing it, so it's awesome, but she was not wearing that outfit by choice. Maybe it makes sense for Vette to wear it if you're playing Dark Side, but otherwise these outfits do seem a little out of place in Star Wars. I think the main issue is that BioWare has been a bit too...generous...in their variety of dancer/loungewear outfits. The Republic and Imperial Dancer outfits weren't enough, so they had to add new skimpy designs with multiple re-skins in each Cartel shipment? The thing is, they are so common in the Cartel packs that people end up with so many you can't even give them away (or vendor them). People who want these armors have enough choices already. How about they design more long-sleeve robes (like Marka Ragnos but without the scary accessories)?

It's about demand, and it's about profit. Nothing more or less. EAWare knows there's a market for this sort of thing, and even earned stuff (like the Nar Shadaa dancer outfit)) is a draw. And if people come to the game, they'll buy other stuff. Robes simply don't have the marketing power that a skimpy outfit does. Not saying that we should be happy about it, but that's just the way it is.

Anyways, this thread is still going strong, so I think I'll put my gunslinger in a bikini this time around to honor this thread. Wowzers, they'll all have bikinis at this rate!

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the slave Leia costume is iconic, and she killed Jabba while wearing it, so it's awesome, but she was not wearing that outfit by choice. Maybe it makes sense for Vette to wear it if you're playing Dark Side, but otherwise these outfits do seem a little out of place in Star Wars. I think the main issue is that BioWare has been a bit too...generous...in their variety of dancer/loungewear outfits. The Republic and Imperial Dancer outfits weren't enough, so they had to add new skimpy designs with multiple re-skins in each Cartel shipment? The thing is, they are so common in the Cartel packs that people end up with so many you can't even give them away (or vendor them). People who want these armors have enough choices already. How about they design more long-sleeve robes (like Marka Ragnos but without the scary accessories)?

Well the Imp/Rep dancer outfits are only avaliable to people with security keys, so they don't really count.

Discounting them there are 2 different (and by that I mean completely different designs, not just recolourings) dancer outfits available from the cartel packs.

And yeah, they are common. What's your point? Just because you don't happen to like an item that is common doesn't mean it shouldn't be common.

They are very very common, but interestingly I hardly ever see anyone wearing them.

Maby every 1 in 10 has a companion wearing them, and 1 in every 20 actually wear them on their character.

They are very very common, but interestingly I hardly ever see anyone wearing them.

Maby every 1 in 10 has a companion wearing them, and 1 in every 20 actually wear them on their character.

Same. I almost never see people in full bikinis on Ebon Hawk. I do see the tops used with normal pants/skirt bottoms pretty often, but that can be a pretty look.

To me, revealing tops are par for the course in an MMO (female fantasy armor!) but the bottoms that show 50% of a character's backside just look tacky and silly when worn during combat. I put my sorc in a bikini and attacked my target dummy the other day and I was laughing at how ridiculous it looks. She looked all spastic flailing around while practically naked and not sexy at all. The hunched posture, weird, gangly arm and leg gestures, and angry grimaces your character makes in combat don't really scream sexy to me.

So, I admit I lol when I see people in full bikinis running around because it just looks stupid, but it hardly offends my sensibilities, and revealing tops + normal bottoms don't even make me blink. And I'm an OOC female.

Edited by Beltane

I know the slave Leia costume is iconic, and she killed Jabba while wearing it, so it's awesome, but she was not wearing that outfit by choice. Maybe it makes sense for Vette to wear it if you're playing Dark Side, but otherwise these outfits do seem a little out of place in Star Wars

Then don't put your characters or their companions in them. "Problem" solved. You want to control what other players do when what they do has no effect on you or your characters? Best stick to single-player games.

My female sith warrior has the Expert Fighter Harness and it looks awesome on her. Like she's some sort of barbarian warrior, which kinda makes sense, because, well, sith warrior.

My scoundrel has Mira's outfit (the whole thing.) The unzipped jacket over nothing but a bikini again makes her look like some sort of underworld dealer.

I don't wear anything that bares the legs, it seems a bit excessive (not against bare legs but other than one miniskirt, the only leg-baring items in game are panties), but I'm against pushing my personal tastes on other people. Live and let live.

Edited by jkuhl
uh guess I'll remove the censored words.

I don't wear anything that bares the legs, it seems a bit excessive (not against bare legs but other than one miniskirt, the only leg-baring items in game are panties), but I'm against pushing my personal tastes on other people. Live and let live.

If that's your attitude, fine. But if others want to "push their personal tastes on others" (although it's not clear how that's even possible in a computer game like TOR, at least in terms of how characters are dressed), that's their choice, too. Live and let live.

If that's your attitude, fine. But if others want to "push their personal tastes on others" (although it's not clear how that's even possible in a computer game like TOR, at least in terms of how characters are dressed), that's their choice, too. Live and let live.

This just means YOU have to accept the consequences of your choices. If you choose to attempt to force people to change their personal taste to match yours. Then ultimately you have to accept the hate & venom that'll be aimed at you.

But in reality, unless you buy my computer, pay my subscription every month, & pay ALL the rest of my bills, then your opinion of what is "acceptable dress" means less than NOTHING.

I know the slave Leia costume is iconic, and she killed Jabba while wearing it, so it's awesome, but she was not wearing that outfit by choice. Maybe it makes sense for Vette to wear it if you're playing Dark Side, but otherwise these outfits do seem a little out of place in Star Wars. I think the main issue is that BioWare has been a bit too...generous...in their variety of dancer/loungewear outfits. The Republic and Imperial Dancer outfits weren't enough, so they had to add new skimpy designs with multiple re-skins in each Cartel shipment? The thing is, they are so common in the Cartel packs that people end up with so many you can't even give them away (or vendor them). People who want these armors have enough choices already. How about they design more long-sleeve robes +1(like Marka Ragnos but without the scary accessories)?

In all seriousness, I agree with this with the exception of the highlighted.

its not about wearing skimpy clothes or being sexy, Its about looking the way you want to. I actually hate all the "dancer" outfits with the exception of the "slave girl" set. It has the best design and color scheme. All those other sets are simply bad knockoffs and are completely unnecessary. BW was not being generous but lazy. They need to fluff up all those cartel packs with trash after all.

MMOs are about customization and we all have our tastes. Satisfy my needs whether it be pvp arenas, space combat or outfits.

Edited by Naked-Snake

I have one little comment though about the dancer's outfit that Leia had. Her skirt was slit on the sides correct but it was a bit longer than what bioware has done.

Other than that what someone else wears really shouldn't effect you in the least.

Leia's costume

https://sp3.yimg.com/ib/th?id=H.4726071590456895&pid=15.1

Bioware's costume:

https://sp3.yimg.com/ib/th?id=H.4977619217285735&pid=15.1

Edited by ScarletBlaze

This just means YOU have to accept the consequences of your choices. If you choose to attempt to force people to change their personal taste to match yours. Then ultimately you have to accept the hate & venom that'll be aimed at you.

Hate and venom? From putting characters in skimpy outfits? :rak_02:

But in reality, unless you buy my computer, pay my subscription every month, & pay ALL the rest of my bills, then your opinion of what is "acceptable dress" means less than NOTHING.

So it seems you agree with me.

I signed up to play Star Wars, not Sleaze Wars. You are appealing to the wrong customer base with the nearly-naked Sleaze avatars BioWare. You are going to lose a lot of good customers who dont want to see it. I know my girlfriend doesn't want me to see it. This may sound a bit coarse but I did not bring the coarseness into this game, you did BioWare. If I wanted to see that crap in an mmo, I would play an adult mmo where you could have your every sick, twisted fantasy fulfilled. I lead a family friendly guild. There is nothing family friendly about sleaze wars.

Hey, OP, it seems like the devs have been paying attention to this very important issue you raised...check out this preview of a dramatic update to some old armor and some new armor pieces over at Dulfy's site: http://dulfy.net/2014/01/10/swtor-wingman-and-dogfighters-starfighter-pack-preview/#1

Edited by eartharioch

Hey, OP, it seems like the devs have been paying attention to this very important issue you raised...check out this preview of a dramatic update to some old armor and some new armor pieces over at Dulfy's site: http://dulfy.net/2014/01/10/swtor-wingman-and-dogfighters-starfighter-pack-preview/#1

That top outfit. :D I used laughed so hard.

That top outfit. :D I used laughed so hard.

The top outfit might be taking it a big too far, IMO. Oh, if you want to wear it, fine, but I'm not sure I ever would. I'd have to preview it for myself on my own characters before deciding. I like the sleeveless smuggler one with the bare belly, though.

• 3 weeks later...

The top outfit is just fine. But I am definitely putting Risha in the Show-off’s Casual Armor outfit :D. She's running with a Smuggler . . . she needs to dress like one.

I did get the full Dramatic Extrovert’s armor unlocked as well in my collections. Ashara looks great in it.

The rest of those outfit looks so stupid - especially that knock-off of a Roman soldier ~chuckles~ But it doesn't bother me what others wear, so I won;t mess with it.

Still laughing that the OP wants to bring out the days of Hitler and a certain war that almost tore Europe apart due to some guy wanting to dictate what everyone else does to include how they dress. LOL

Edited by Faelandaea
Forgot to quote the post I was replying to.

I love hearing the whole "only adolescent boys dress their characters skimpy" when half the female players I've met do the exact same thing (example: my female GM plays a "bikini tank"). Or the "skimpy outfits aren't realistic" argument: a standard no other form of RPG attire is judged by and most would fail miserably.

If you prefer a more conservative standard of attire for your characters: awesome, go for it. The diversity makes MMOs all the more fun. But quit pretending it makes you more adult or puts you on some kind of pedestal of standing up for women's rights. Most of the female players I've met don't care for white knights "sticking up for them" either.

Edited by Obreck

I forgot to add in my prior reply:

For the Dramatic Extrovert’s Armor Set, only Sith or Jedi should wear it. The other classes do not have the authority nor the ranking to wear it. Sith and Jedi are privileged because they can use the force to hold their breasts up ;)

To the OP, while I admire and understand your moral stance and appreciate the notion of escapism from the sleazy corruption of real-life, the examples you present are flawed.

To me, the things you complain about only differ from things that are actually included in the films and associated media are in that Oola the slave dancer in Jabba's Palace doesn't wield a saber/blaster.

In actual fact, a woman in a tiny scrap of a bikini with a wonderful sexy figure packs a blaster and fights uglies in the first half of Return of the Jediif I recall rightly. Leia I think she's called....