Why force players to subscribe when they still have gametime?

Pyraaa

I do not understand why most of you presume that credit cards are so common. I personally know only one person that has a credit card.

If there were no paypal option, I would have been in trouble. Luckily there is, so I am not complaining.

Because they are common. A Debit Card is the same thing as a Credit Card. If you have a bank account, or your parents have a bank account, then that Debit Card can be used to subscribe to this game.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People misunderstand when they see this topic. " because everyone else does" is not a good excuse for choosing a business practice like this. As TC said..it is like hassling your customers to force a commitment even before using what is easily a paid trail time to are if you will even enjoy the game.

Welcome to the world of online gaming. You have options. One is not playing, then there are the others where you give your information. When dealing with the forms of payment that a private company accepts, they call the shots.

Argue all you want, but there is no way around it in a pay to play scenario.

I am not new to online gaming and not all MMOs have always been setup like this. This is a shady practice that has has slowly become "standard" in the industry, but I have been able to pay for games without having to set up a payment plan in the past.

And the only reason private companies call the shots in all business dealings is because people just placidly accept that and do nothing, and we've been conditioned to accept that with equally shady cell phone contracts and the like. There is no reason it has to be that way because there is more than just one party involved in any business transaction. The sales person, and the client.

Why the sales person is supposed to be the one calling all the shots when the client is the one holding the cash is completely beyond me.

Edited by VisionStorm

The free 30 days are tied to your account. You can't use those free days because your account is not active. Subscribing means your account is then active. Not sure what the confusion is, seems like common sense to me.

It's like a McDonalds coupon, "Free Small Drink (30 days) with the purchase of a Big Mac (subscription)!". Sure, you're holding a free drink in your hands, but you won't get that drink unless you buy the big mac.

What if the problem is the site is bugged and wont accept your debit card, or 3 other cards. No matter what Card i put in to try and subscribe, the website wont take it. This is screwing their players and they know about this issue. Quite a few people are having it. If you gonna force people to Subscribe, at least make sure everyone can subscribe.

What if the problem is the site is bugged and wont accept your debit card, or 3 other cards. No matter what Card i put in to try and subscribe, the website wont take it. This is screwing their players and they know about this issue. Quite a few people are having it. If you gonna force people to Subscribe, at least make sure everyone can subscribe.

Hey, its standard practice in this industry, deal with it :rolleyes:

(j/k)

I set my cousin's account up with WoW a few months back, when he was recuperating from an accident. Yes, he got a free period of gameplay, but I remember having to get his card info to register a sub before he could play.

This is common procedure for mmorpgs. Yes, you get a month free, but you have to be a paying customer. You just don't get charged for a month.

Edited by Fiachsidhe

While I understand that this is the way that all pay-to-play mmos have always functioned, the recent prevalence of game databases being hacked might mean that it's time for a paradigm shift.

Sucks to have to risk my cc info by inputting it into yet another database, and the only alternative is to purchase a 60 day time card.

People misunderstand when they see this topic. " because everyone else does" is not a good excuse for choosing a business practice like this. As TC said..it is like hassling your customers to force a commitment even before using what is easily a paid trail time to are if you will even enjoy the game.

If you don't like "Because everyone else does" how about "Because it was on the game box" and "because it's been on the FAQs"?

Once again you're not committing to anything you're just proving that you have a valid form of payment, something that has been stated will be required to play for awhile.

For those of you who don't like this or don't understand it I suggest you go play F2P games or Single player games because P2P games are not for you.

Edited by Dasffion

it did catch me off guard to see the play time remaining - but cannot be accessed until you pony up for a subscription. again. there have some misleading underhanded ways of going about these issues... first was the early access ambiguity, then the sign up for a subscription before you can do anything... even though we're giving you a month 'free'. i had the impression from this statement that you could try it for a month to decide if you liked it enough to subscribe.

a little disheartening that they weren't straight-forward about it. i still wouldn't have hesitated to sign up/play, but not being up front about it was unnecessarily shiesty, imo.

Edited by Iskandarian

While I understand that this is the way that all pay-to-play mmos have always functioned, the recent prevalence of game databases being hacked might mean that it's time for a paradigm shift.

Sucks to have to risk my cc info by inputting it into yet another database, and the only alternative is to purchase a 60 day time card.

Okay, so if we presume they went for a different option... exactly WHAT would that be?

Why Force us to subscribe in order to redeem the FREE 30 days game time we got for purchasing the game? (ripoff?)

I've had nothing but good things to say about this game since it had early game access for purchasing the digital deluxe edition.

I've even been trying to recruit my guild from other MMOS to come play SWTOR

But to find out that they REQUIRE you to subscribe even to continue using the gametime you are already entitled to seems like a ripoff to me.

Some people would like to get their entitled free 30 days access without being hastled into subscribing on the third day of use.

Anyone else feel like BIOWARE/LUCAS ARTS/EA act like an AUTO DEALERSHIP that takes your drivers license when you test drive a car?

You pay 80 bucks for the game (the price of collectors edition for most other mmos), then before you can play your 30 days that came with the initial purchase, they want you to choose a subscription plan. Soo glad i didn't buy the 150 dollar collectors edition.

Not only is the CE wayy too overpriced but its like PAYING to test drive a BMW but before you leave the lot you have to sign a lease contract.Sure, you can tear up the lease contract and test drive your over priced BMW anyway (which is a test drive you've already paid for), but it leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth.These guys are really taking advantage of the SW fanboys/girls, and may people are blindly playing into their greedy little hands.

Sure, i enjoy the game. I think its a WOW killer... but don't expect the company running this to be loyal to its players if they have shinanegans like this on day 1. Do expect, however, to pay more and get less in the future.

Great business plan. A+

1) if you are playing other MMO's then you know this is standard practice

2) one of the reasons they do it is to help combat gold sellers.

3) the CE edition pricing is inline with what others have charged and with the value of SW memorabilia. The fact that someplaces are selling them for $300+ helps support EA's on them

FYI, WOW has a free 14 day trial, EVE has a free trial no CC needed. When you BUY the game you would think they would not restrict your access to the game (30 game days free when you BUY the game)

Hassle for a subscription when there is 7 days of gametime left but not on the 2nd day...

wow has a free trial now they did not when the game was new nor did eve

If you don't like "Because everyone else does" how about "Because it was on the game box" and "because it's been on the FAQs"?

Once again you're not committing to anything you're just proving that you have a valid form of payment, something that has been stated will be required to play for awhile.

We already proved that when we bought the game. We'll prove it again once the game time runs out if we feel like re-subbing. There is no valid reason for things to be this way. Its just letting people that want our money call the shots "because its standard practice on this industry*"

* which is not entirely true. I have been able to play games ONLY with game cards without the need to submit ANY card info at all.

Because they are common. A Debit Card is the same thing as a Credit Card. If you have a bank account, or your parents have a bank account, then that Debit Card can be used to subscribe to this game.

Umm... Nope. Credit and Debit cards are not the same. My Visa Electron requires 4-digit security code on every transaction as it connects straight to the bank. Where do I put this code, huh? Oh, wait... It is kinda PERSONAL, so I'm not going to give it to anyone else.

As I stated earlier, I have no problems as I have verified PayPal account. Those who don't, are not so lucky.

We already proved that when we bought the game. We'll prove it again once the game time runs out if we feel like re-subbing. There is no valid reason for things to be this way. Its just letting people that want our money call the shots "because its standard practice on this industry*"

* which is not entirely true. I have been able to play games ONLY with game cards without the need to submit ANY card info at all.

You didn't prove it when you bought the game. You could have been given it as a gift. You could have paid cash for it, you could have stolen the box from a truck. Bioware doesn't know how you got the game.

I'm not sure what your * is about, you can do that with TOR as well.

You didn't prove it when you bought the game. You could have been given it as a gift. You could have paid cash for it, you could have stolen the box from a truck. Bioware doesn't know how you got the game.

I'm not sure what your * is about, you can do that with TOR as well.

Sorry, what I meant by that is that I have played games where I didn't need to buy the game + buy game time or setup a paying plan right away to activate my account. I just download the game for "free" (for whatever that's worth, considering I can't do anything in P2P games without game time) then add a game time card (which could also have fallen off a truck or I could have stolen from a store) to activate my account.

Edited by VisionStorm

Why Force us to subscribe in order to redeem the FREE 30 days game time we got for purchasing the game? (ripoff?)

I've had nothing but good things to say about this game since it had early game access for purchasing the digital deluxe edition.

I've even been trying to recruit my guild from other MMOS to come play SWTOR

But to find out that they REQUIRE you to subscribe even to continue using the gametime you are already entitled to seems like a ripoff to me.

Some people would like to get their entitled free 30 days access without being hastled into subscribing on the third day of use.

Anyone else feel like BIOWARE/LUCAS ARTS/EA act like an AUTO DEALERSHIP that takes your drivers license when you test drive a car?

You pay 80 bucks for the game (the price of collectors edition for most other mmos), then before you can play your 30 days that came with the initial purchase, they want you to choose a subscription plan. Soo glad i didn't buy the 150 dollar collectors edition.

Not only is the CE wayy too overpriced but its like PAYING to test drive a BMW but before you leave the lot you have to sign a lease contract.Sure, you can tear up the lease contract and test drive your over priced BMW anyway (which is a test drive you've already paid for), but it leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth.These guys are really taking advantage of the SW fanboys/girls, and may people are blindly playing into their greedy little hands.

Sure, i enjoy the game. I think its a WOW killer... but don't expect the company running this to be loyal to its players if they have shinanegans like this on day 1. Do expect, however, to pay more and get less in the future.

Great business plan. A+

Dont bother arguing with the community in this game, most people will defend this game/bioware to the death with no basis.

Stupid post by a young ignorant child.

You subscribe, but you dont pay until after your FREE TIME is over.

Please delete this useless thread.

There is no FREE TIME, there is only time that comes with game purchase (which is completely and utterly useless without game time). And there are more issues that have been discussed throughout the thread about how having to set up a payment plan can be problematic or can potentially force you to buy game time up front (such as when game cards are your only option).

So I guess all of us are ignorant then... including you ;)

Edited by VisionStorm