Why force players to subscribe when they still have gametime?

Pyraaa

Sorry, what I meant by that is that I have played games where I didn't need to buy the game + buy game time or setup a paying plan right away to activate my account. I just download the game for "free" (for whatever that's worth, considering I can't do anything in P2P games without game time) then add a game time card (which could also have fallen off a truck or I could have stolen from a store) to activate my account.

If you're just downloading the game and entering your card info without paying for the game I guarantee it's either not a big title or it's old, or it's not doing so well. It won't happen for brand new games. They're always required to buy the box then set up a subscription.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no FREE TIME, there is only time that comes with game purchase (which is completely and utterly useless without game time). And there are more issues that have been discussed throughout the thread about how having to set up a payment plan can be problematic or can potentially force you to buy game time up front (such as when game cards are your only option).

So I guess all of us are ignorant then... including you ;)

Uh, you don't pay until the 30 days is up.....

Legal reasons is really all that needs to be said. CC# verifies id etc..

I have to take this now.

How does it verify anything? The numbers are written in the card. Anyone can read and input them, if they have the card (stolen etc.)

Dont bother arguing with the community in this game, most people will defend this game/bioware to the death with no basis.

This same argument happens in every single MMO with a subscription, with the same points being made every time.

It has nothing to do with this community at all.

Because every MMO has done is since UO.

It removes 'throw away' accounts and the like. Doing business on the internet always results in you needing a card no matter how much 'free time' they are going to give you.

You should be asking 'what scam is going on?' if they DON'T ask you for your card.

There is no 'throw away' accounts since you are still required to pay @75 bucks initially for a retail client which INCLUDES 30 days of access. There is no game trail option, so no you're statement is incorrect.

Edited by HomeSlixe

Really sucks that people are missing the real issue here. The site is bugged and wont accept some peoples card no matter if they try 100 different accounts. That's the real problem here. What about those people you are pretty much forcing to buy a game card to play. I don't get my trial time now because whether i like the game or not, i have paid for 85 days. It's stupid and unfair really.

Uh, you don't pay until the 30 days is up.....

Only if you have a CC and give up that information, or have a paypal account setup. The part I said you could potentially be forced to pay up front refered to situations where game cards are your only option. There might also be other issues that lock you out of the game even if you're going to pay with a CC or paypal, such as having to setup a paypal account and wait for the bank transfer, or if you want to buy a prepaid debit card, which also requires you to spend more money even if you could potentially cancel your sub and use it on other stuff instead.

The site is bugged and wont accept some peoples card no matter if they try 100 different accounts. That's the real problem here.

If there's a bug then that needs to be addressed. But you don't make policy decisions based on a bug.

It's also not unfair in anyway, it's a bug, they happen.

Really sucks that people are missing the real issue here. The site is bugged and wont accept some peoples card no matter if they try 100 different accounts. That's the real problem here. What about those people you are pretty much forcing to buy a game card to play. I don't get my trial time now because whether i like the game or not, i have paid for 85 days. It's stupid and unfair really.

This is an issue but this wasn't what the thread was about.

THis also happened to me last night. I couldn't log into the game until late into the night when I was already too tired, and only after I gave up my debit CC info.

Wow, this thread. Smh..

People are really that lacking in common sense... Amazing.... Through this launch I have seen people unable to comprehend the most simple of ideas....

Not only that.. but the extremely selective memory and misinformation in this thread is like.. massive.

It. Has. Always. Been. This. Way.

Even before MMOs.. any subscription service on the planet. You need a valid CC, you pick a plan, you get billed at a regular rate until its cancelled.

Not. That. Hard.

Not only that.. but the extremely selective memory and misinformation in this thread is like.. massive.

It. Has. Always. Been. This. Way.

Even before MMOs.. any subscription service on the planet. You need a valid CC, you pick a plan, you get billed at a regular rate until its cancelled.

Not. That. Hard.

I completely agree with that first statment, especially considering that the rest of the post is not true. It has not always been that way, I have played MMOs that are not setup that way, and it "always being that way" (which it isnt, but just for the sake of argument) does not justify it being that way anyhow.

Edited by VisionStorm

I completely agree with that first statment, especially considering that the rest of the post is not true. It has not always been that way, I have played MMOs that are not setup that way, and it "always being that way" (which it isnt, but just for the sake of argument) does not justify it being that way anyhow.

Very true.

There has always been war. That does not make any war justified.

Only if you have a CC and give up that information, or have a paypal account setup.

Or you can use a ATM card, which I have done in the past. Or you can go to a store and buy a pre-paid Visa or MC with say 10 bucks on it and use that.

The part I said you could potentially be forced to pay up front refered to situations where game cards are your only option.

In this day and age, if someone is unable to make use of one of one of the other options, then they likely have more issues then not being able to play a MMO.

such as having to setup a paypal account and wait for the bank transfer

This takes a couple days max. There's no reason someone couldn't of done it far enough in advance to have it ready in time. Or worse case, they have to not play for a day or two.

or if you want to buy a prepaid debit card, which also requires you to spend more money even if you could potentially cancel your sub and use it on other stuff instead.

The price on a pre-paid card is around $5 if you can afford to spend $60 on the game itself, then this simply isn't a big deal.

Finally, if you want to do anything online, you need a card of some sort. You can't even make a iTunes account without providing a CC, and that doesn't even have a subscription cost.

Only if you have a CC and give up that information, or have a paypal account setup. The part I said you could potentially be forced to pay up front refered to situations where game cards are your only option. There might also be other issues that lock you out of the game even if you're going to pay with a CC or paypal, such as having to setup a paypal account and wait for the bank transfer, or if you want to buy a prepaid debit card, which also requires you to spend more money even if you could potentially cancel your sub and use it on other stuff instead.

That's how game cards work with every MMORPG. Still neither option bills until the 30 days it up. Only other thing that will lock you out is getting suspended or banned.

I have played MMOs that are not setup that way

The only MMO's that are not set up this way, are Free to Play ones. Other then that every MMO out there with a subscription cost, requires a CC up front.

So unless you can come up with an example of a P2P MMO that didn't, then what he said is true.

So you have to setup a subscription BIG WOOP... Plug in your payment info and if you dont play after 30 days cancel it... Must we whine about everything on this game? Its rather pathetic people.

stop defending this, wether or not its been done does not make it less shady/sneaky. This exact attitude is the reason that practices like this will only get worse, because of tools like you rolling over and letting publishers step all over you.

Im sorry but its their game and if you dont like the fact that they would rather have your payment information on file after the 30 days then thats your problem. Oh wait your the same type of person that after your free 30 days would be asking for a 2 day grace period to enter your payment info

Im sorry but its their game and if you dont like the fact that they would rather have your payment information on file after the 30 days then thats your problem. Oh wait your the same type of person that after your free 30 days would be asking for a 2 day grace period to enter your payment info

Let bioware walk all over you more.

stop defending this, wether or not its been done does not make it less shady/sneaky. This exact attitude is the reason that practices like this will only get worse, because of tools like you rolling over and letting publishers step all over you.

We'll stop defending it if you stop complaining about it. You know you have the option not to play, right? You know there are other, even comparable, MMOs, right? This is not a public-domain game, they OWN it and you have freedom of choice.

I like this forces some legitimacy, if not maturity on, and takes away a bit of anonymity from, the others in the game. If someone spam's links to child **** in general chat, they can be tracked. If they spread hate messages, they can be tracked. If they get banned, them and their payment card can be banned to make it more difficult for them to come back.

I wish their was no game card option, and you required Credit Card or PayPal or other verifiable payment option. Shoot, it's too bad they cant get a DNA sample at log in. That would keep away even more tools.

Edited by Pinguaq

They dont have to give 30 days free, they dont have to give up to 7 days prior to launch free either. I dont see this as walking all over me. I am willing to give them my card info, They did spend 5+ years developing a game for all of us to enjoy.. So I think we owe them a few courtesies