The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Anti Murder Measures.

Fevee

However, landfills are the designated trash-recipient locations; not your neighbor's yard. Instead of you people who just want to play Hot Potato with the trash, I say we actually throw it away.

Thing is, you can't just throw it away. Those players are players. They play on... wait for it... PvP servers. If you don't want to smell the landfill, don't build your house near it. If you don't want to deal with PvP gankers, don't play on a PvP server.

Really, if you want to PvP but you don't want to get ganked, don't play on a PvP server and don't go around flagged on PvE servers.

Now if you want to start classifying what looking for trouble means, how about this rule is waived if you're in the opposite faction's declared territory

So... when exactly does that happen in this Star Wars? Tython, Ord Mantell, Coruscant, Balmorra, Taris, and most of Nar Shaddaa (exception being the Promenade and the Network Access sector) areas are faction exclusive, as in it's impossible to get there as an Imperial. Same goes for the Imperial equivalents of those places.

So, basically what you are saying is you can only be ganked on Belsavis, Hoth, Voss, Quesh, and CZ-198 (maybe Oricon, not sure) in areas where the NPCs would have already killed you before a player had the chance.

Edited by AbsolutGrndZero

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is, you can't just throw it away. Those players are players. They play on... wait for it... PvP servers. If you don't want to smell the landfill, don't build your house near it. If you don't want to deal with PvP gankers, don't play on a PvP server.

So... when exactly does that happen in this Star Wars? Tython, Ord Mantell, Coruscant, Balmorra, Taris, and most of Nar Shaddaa (exception being the Promenade and the Network Access sector) areas are faction exclusive, as in it's impossible to get there as an Imperial. Same goes for the Imperial equivalents of those places.

Maybe you haven't read the initial post. So here it is in a nutshell: When a player kills another player in three moves or less OR three seconds or less, they are penalized.

If this never happens to you / you never do it to anyone, then you'll never even notice the implementation of this feature; so you have nothing to worry about. I shouldn't have to talk in circles or make the same irrefutable point anymore.

Really, if you want to PvP but you don't want to get ganked, don't play on a PvP server and don't go around flagged on PvE servers.

Other than warzones, there's no other PvP. But if I'm running around on a level 30 planet as a level 30, I'm sorry I expected to encounter other level 30s; that was so dumb of me.

I guess You could Spend more time in WZs and FPs on a PVP server so you only have to do class Quests in Contested Areas, but that certainly seems like it would take the Fun out of getting to cross paths with players your level.

As for the level difference i guess Bioware could set it so that if there is an extreme level difference the Low Level Player's Resolve Meter Will be instantly filled. Could also set a certain amount of time after you respawn in which your PVP flag is off. or make it so that with the great level imbalance there is no killing such as in a duel, and you again lose your PVP flag for a while.

also call me crazy but on a PVP server especially remove the damage caps, if the low level has a Stun he should be able to knock out the enemy and run off, oh and with 60s CCs with that level difference should keep the 60s timeframe.

I guess You could Spend more time in WZs and FPs on a PVP server so you only have to do class Quests in Contested Areas, but that certainly seems like it would take the Fun out of getting to cross paths with players your level.

As for the level difference i guess Bioware could set it so that if there is an extreme level difference the Low Level Player's Resolve Meter Will be instantly filled. Could also set a certain amount of time after you respawn in which your PVP flag is off. or make it so that with the great level imbalance there is no killing such as in a duel, and you again lose your PVP flag for a while.

also call me crazy but on a PVP server especially remove the damage caps, if the low level has a Stun he should be able to knock out the enemy and run off, oh and with 60s CCs with that level difference should keep the 60s timeframe.

Its too many effort for devs , Easy path is make killing lowbies punish killer. Im playing on RP server , and there no problem about it there , if someone wants free pvp he turn his flag and we have a pvp. I mostly run with my flag on; But if high level sees me , its like 1 of 7 times he will kill me..Lets say.. 55 comes to tattoine to kill lowbies , he finds them and kills . For example 2-3 kills or more , and he gots a debuff. Thats freezes him for like... if he killed 3 newbies , he got stun for 6 minutes , if he continues , stun grows bigger. And you can`t remove it , he will wait its ending , he can use chat , but he will stay carbonized. With our system what max lvl diffrence you can kill a person? 5-10 lvl right? So if 55 kills 40 or lower players he gets that ugly stun. But if he kills 45 he doesn`t get anything. And ofc. if lowbies attacked first , then its their problem.

It warns you when you leave a base that your entering a (PvP) zone.

Now being ganked inside your own base, that I can see as an issue, but fortunately the recent buff to guards particularly making it so they hit extremely hard has negated that issue.

Genrally speaking the number of players that actually gank lowbies in such a manner is a minority of a minority, On my lowbies I haven't been ganked by a high level since before 2.3. If you do get ganked just learn to hide, there are many tricks for taking alternate routes to objectives, plus wall hugging to you are less visible.

Maybe you haven't read the initial post. So here it is in a nutshell: When a player kills another player in three moves or less OR three seconds or less, they are penalized.

Um with the right build and a player in crap armor not fit for their level oe could EASILY do that even to someone higher level than you. Especially if you were in PvP armor and they were not. So, your idea here would not work

And yes, I've read your initial post, and while you are entitled to your opinion, it's the general opinion of most of the others in this thread to throw out another analogy...

IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT, STAY OUT OF THE KITCHEN!

Thing is, you can't just throw it away. Those players are players. They play on... wait for it... PvP servers. If you don't want to smell the landfill, don't build your house near it.

Yes, PvP servers. Player Versus Player servers; not Player Execute Player servers. Do I need to define what execution means? I didn't build my house by the landfill, the landfill was started near my house. And guess what, this landfill is mostly removable. Implementation of this idea should surely dissolve the "junk" that fills part of it.

If you don't want to deal with PvP gankers, don't play on a PvP server.

So, never PvP? Why would I sign up on a PvP server if I didn't want to PvP?

Um with the right build and a player in crap armor not fit for their level oe could EASILY do that even to someone higher level than you. Especially if you were in PvP armor and they were not. So, your idea here would not work

I still don't see how the idea would not work. And I'd like to see someone take out someone else of a higher level in just one hit.

IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT, STAY OUT OF THE KITCHEN!

I can stand the heat, for your information. Said kitchen had a warning that it might get hot inside, and I accepted that. However, I'm being treated as the bad guy for disproving of said entire kitchen becoming a blazing inferno.

I signed up to get a little warm; not incinerated.

I know it's probably the standard response you were dreading, but...

You rolled on a PVP server. The point is, anyone can kill you basically any time.

Sounds to me like you'd enjoy a PVE server. If you only want fair, levelled matches, then PVE is your best bet.

^This.

I'm primarily a PvE player on a PvP server (it helps my immersion to be attacked by enemy players).

I've never complained about other players ambushing me (except when SAME FACTION people taunt Dreadtooth away so he resets, why? Why do they keep taunting? O_O).

Yes, PvP servers. Player Versus Player servers; not Player Execute Player servers. Do I need to define what execution means? I didn't build my house by the landfill, the landfill was started near my house. And guess what, this landfill is mostly removable. Implementation of this idea should surely dissolve the "junk" that fills part of it.

So, never PvP? Why would I sign up on a PvP server if I didn't want to PvP?

I still don't see how the idea would not work. And I'd like to see someone take out someone else of a higher level in just one hit.

I can stand the heat, for your information. Said kitchen had a warning that it might get hot inside, and I accepted that. However, I'm being treated as the bad guy for disproving of said entire kitchen becoming a blazing inferno.

I signed up to get a little warm; not incinerated.

No, you signed up for what PvP is like on a PvP server without understanding how many PvPers behave. That you did not understand how PvP servers work is your problem, not anyone else.

I can't believe I am saying this, but dude you're a carebear.

Anakin must have played on a pvp server because those little jedi got ganked. Not that I am for force sensitive children getting whacked but my point is when it comes to war in movies, games or life it is never equal. Get on a pve server and flag your self and I think you will find your Utopia because if they ever limit pvp servers that way or any more than they are they might as well remove them from the game because pvp-centic players won't stick around. I took my lumps got mad got over it now I go after anything that is red and I go after lowbies about 50% of the time but if they are stirring up trouble toward my faction I go after them 100%. I get it some people want to change things just because they can but what you want would never work try a pve server you will be much more happy.

That you did not understand how PvP servers work is your problem, not anyone else.

Where was the warning that said I will never receive a fair fight? Where was the warning that said people 30 levels above me were going to camp my respawn point, despite the over level 9,000 Ultra-Champion standing right there? What's wrong with a little anti-coward measures? What's wrong with not driving off young-level players? Unless you're one of said poachers, how will this even affect you?

Anakin must have played on a pvp server because those little jedi got ganked. Not that I am for force sensitive children getting whacked but my point is when it comes to war in movies, games or life it is never equal.

Why does SWTOR even bother with endgame-level guards in faction zones? Why does SWTOR even bother with the Bolster stat in warzones? Why don't lightsabers in SWTOR give you a one-hit kill?

SWTOR cares a little about a level playing field, or else there wouldn't be any of those measures.

Get on a pve server and flag your self and I think you will find your Utopia ... I get it some people want to change things just because they can but what you want would never work try a pve server you will be much more happy.

No, you are wrong. People keep telling me PvE servers are what I want, but said people are wrong. Maybe it's because said people don't play on PvE servers; but I play on every server. So, I speak from actual experience when I say no one but me and level 55s flag for PvP on non-PvP servers.

So stop telling me PvE servers are PvP paradise.

... if they ever limit pvp servers that way or any more than they are they might as well remove them from the game because pvp-centic players won't stick around.

How will you notice? Is poaching low-level players that common? And tell me how they are already constricted.

PvP-centric players will certainly stick around because they'll stick to actual PvP. Player VERSUS Player.

Or are you telling me players only ever attack players 20-30 levels below their own?

Where was the warning that said I will never receive a fair fight? Where was the warning that said people 30 levels above me were going to camp my respawn point, despite the over level 9,000 Ultra-Champion standing right there? What's wrong with a little anti-coward measures? What's wrong with not driving off young-level players? Unless you're one of said poachers, how will this even affect you?

Why does SWTOR even bother with endgame-level guards in faction zones? Why does SWTOR even bother with the Bolster stat in warzones? Why don't lightsabers in SWTOR give you a one-hit kill?

SWTOR cares a little about a level playing field, or else there wouldn't be any of those measures.

No, you are wrong. People keep telling me PvE servers are what I want, but said people are wrong. Maybe it's because said people don't play on PvE servers; but I play on every server. So, I speak from actual experience when I say no one but me and level 55s flag for PvP on non-PvP servers.

How will you notice? Is poaching low-level players that common? And tell me how they are already constricted.

PvP-centric players will certainly stick around because they'll stick to actual PvP. Player VERSUS Player.

Or are you telling me players only ever attack players 20-30 levels below their own?

I didn't hide that I believe red is dead, even with lowbies not all of the time just depends if I want too. I will never feel guilty over it. I also played football in high school against guys who were faster harder hitting etc but did I demand they all be the same weight height or strength as me? No, and I think that's why I don't understand your side of things because I eventually caught up but I took my licks till I got better stronger etc. And in all truth I love being stalked as a lowbie and trying to escape and sometimes I did .I loved the rush now I can defend my self and destroy lowbies . Again it's a pvp server if it's red it's dead if I am in the mood guilt free. I went through it( getting ganked) and I am glad I did it was thrilling. You seem to be avoiding some peoples advice about pve servers I am pretty sure you can flag for pvp and others who flag themselves can fight you in the open world truly making it a gentlemans duel. But the plain fact that you have other options but rather make a change because of some social injustice that you feel a pvp server brings I just can't agree . Again you have other options use them!

And besides you just may have a temper problem some people just hate getting destroyed in these games. After you get to 55 then it will be because x class is op it's not fair because........ I have been playing long enough and have seen a lot on pvp servers some people laugh it off ,some grumble about it then shrug it off, some have an atomic melt down. So that's why some of us say pve server is the way to go if your getting grey hairs over it.

I'm sure everyone in the game can relate to this:

You're walking along, doing your missions and fighting NPCs. You may be in contested territory on a PvP server, but you're sure you're ready if someone comes along. Then all of a sudden, a red-tagged entity appears right behind you. Half a second later, you're laying on the ground, dead.

:mon_trap:

Don't tell me that's PvP. PvP stands for Player Versus Player. Versus means a match, a match means similar strength. When players sign up for a PvP server, they get a warning that other player may attack them. But you have to realize that said player signing up is thinking something along the lines of Other players will attack me? Well, by the time I get to a level 20 planet, I should be level 20, myself. And so should any enemy players. So I'll be running around on the lookout for like-leveled players to match.

Oh, how sadly mistaken our newcomer is. If only he knew he was signing up for a Player Exterminate Player server. That's not a match; that's murder. :sy_darkside: Don't even get me started when a team of 4 level 55s start preying on those 25 levels below them. But anyways, I think there's a solution to discourage such behavior.

Since it's obvious our friendly level 55 is afraid of the level 20 he's passing by, we should let others know what kind of a person he is. We have player A and player Z, if these two engage in a battle, and it ends in three seconds (or less) or under three moves (or less), it's obvious one of them was way over the level of the other. If Player Z was the aggressor, and Player Z won in a blink of an eye, Player Z is awarded with a debuff called Spineless. This debuff persists through defeat for perhaps 10 minutes, and it works like a reverse bolster buff. It would read out something like Is afraid of level <Insert Player A's level here>s. And the effect it gives? It simply tones down the player's stats and power to one level below their victim's level. Like how Bolster boosts you up to level 55, Spineless drags you down the appropriate level. However, if Player A is the aggressor, then Player Z is only acting in retaliation; and is exempt from receiving the Spineless debuff. So if the little guy has the guts to challenge you, then you're free to stomp him into dust.

I say the count of time and moves because both are relevant to the variables of murdering young-level players. Player Z's ambush can happen quickly, and use a lot of low-powered moves that still defeat the victim in such short time. Or Player Z can attack slowly with first a stun move, then stopping to watch them for the duration of the stun effect. Then finally moving on to the next move, possibly another stun/immobilizer. So while it may have taken 30 seconds, Player A was still massacred in a very short count of moves.

I really hope for something like this to be implemented, it would put young-level players' mind at ease, knowing they're fairly off the menu for the higher-level players. The count of three seconds/moves is just a shot-in-the-dark guess, a bit of research to find an appropriate count would be wise. After all, you all realize that near-level players can't kill eachother that quickly/efficiently even if one let the other try. And high-level differences between players means they can't really kill them without such lethality that the level difference provides.

Or you could...ya know....go to a pve server.

First of all dude, this isn't *********** Dragonball Z, there is no "over level 9000" crap. Second, this must be your first MMO. SWtOR isn't out to reinvent the wheel. There are jerks in games. There will always be jerks in games.

There are MANY ways to deal with jerks on PvP servers. If you don't like the way PvP is handled on a PvP server, then a PvP server is not right for you. Just accept that and stick to PvE and do warzones or choose to flag yourself.

Anyway, at this point I've said everything that can be said, as have others ad nauseum. Either you accept the way it is, or you don't but Bioware is more likely to give us both 1,000,000 cartel coins than to change a funadmental way pvp works in MMOs just because you don't think it's fair. It's not fair. Neither is life.

I'm sure everyone in the game can relate to this:

You're walking along, doing your missions and fighting NPCs. You may be in contested territory on a PvP server, but you're sure you're ready if someone comes along. Then all of a sudden, a red-tagged entity appears right behind you. Half a second later, you're laying on the ground, dead.

:mon_trap:

Don't tell me that's PvP. PvP stands for Player Versus Player. Versus means a match, a match means similar strength. When players sign up for a PvP server, they get a warning that other player may attack them. But you have to realize that said player signing up is thinking something along the lines of Other players will attack me? Well, by the time I get to a level 20 planet, I should be level 20, myself. And so should any enemy players. So I'll be running around on the lookout for like-leveled players to match.

Oh, how sadly mistaken our newcomer is. If only he knew he was signing up for a Player Exterminate Player server. That's not a match; that's murder. :sy_darkside: Don't even get me started when a team of 4 level 55s start preying on those 25 levels below them. But anyways, I think there's a solution to discourage such behavior.

Since it's obvious our friendly level 55 is afraid of the level 20 he's passing by, we should let others know what kind of a person he is. We have player A and player Z, if these two engage in a battle, and it ends in three seconds (or less) or under three moves (or less), it's obvious one of them was way over the level of the other. If Player Z was the aggressor, and Player Z won in a blink of an eye, Player Z is awarded with a debuff called Spineless. This debuff persists through defeat for perhaps 10 minutes, and it works like a reverse bolster buff. It would read out something like Is afraid of level <Insert Player A's level here>s. And the effect it gives? It simply tones down the player's stats and power to one level below their victim's level. Like how Bolster boosts you up to level 55, Spineless drags you down the appropriate level. However, if Player A is the aggressor, then Player Z is only acting in retaliation; and is exempt from receiving the Spineless debuff. So if the little guy has the guts to challenge you, then you're free to stomp him into dust.

I say the count of time and moves because both are relevant to the variables of murdering young-level players. Player Z's ambush can happen quickly, and use a lot of low-powered moves that still defeat the victim in such short time. Or Player Z can attack slowly with first a stun move, then stopping to watch them for the duration of the stun effect. Then finally moving on to the next move, possibly another stun/immobilizer. So while it may have taken 30 seconds, Player A was still massacred in a very short count of moves.

I really hope for something like this to be implemented, it would put young-level players' mind at ease, knowing they're fairly off the menu for the higher-level players. The count of three seconds/moves is just a shot-in-the-dark guess, a bit of research to find an appropriate count would be wise. After all, you all realize that near-level players can't kill eachother that quickly/efficiently even if one let the other try. And high-level differences between players means they can't really kill them without such lethality that the level difference provides.

I like your suggestion and I think it sounds very fair. I would never want BW to try to implement this, however, for fear of how many other things it would break.

I think you may be reading meaning in to the term "PvP" that it does not have. PvP simply implies that players can kill one another. It never implies that there will be a fair fight. Only that players will be allowed to kill one another.

I feel the same as you, which is why I rolled my legacy on a PvE server. I duel plenty, and play lots of WZs, and those are generally fairer fights than I would ever get in open-world PvP on a PvP server.

Or you could...ya know....go to a pve server.

Clearly you haven't read a single comment in this thread. PvE servers aren't PvP servers. And I signed up to a PvP server hoping that I'd be a level 30 by the time I got to a level 30 planet, and I'd get to lock blades with other level 30s.

First of all dude, this isn't *********** Dragonball Z, there is no "over level 9000" crap.

I was just trying to make a point. Those are top-shelf level NPCs that are supposed to be guarding our respawn points. Yet, even they are not safe from camping poachers.

Second, this must be your first MMO. SWtOR isn't out to reinvent the wheel. There are jerks in games. There will always be jerks in games.

Congrats for blowing it out of proportion. I'm not looking for reinvention or reform. I'm looking for a tiny measure I'll bet you wouldn't even notice the implementation of.

Plus, you say that jerks are unfixable as though they were the Small Pox disease; look how said disease is doing now. I wonder if there were people back then ridiculing the notion of curing it.

Either you accept the way it is, or you don't but Bioware is more likely to give us both 1,000,000 cartel coins than to change a funadmental way pvp works in MMOs just because you don't think it's fair. It's not fair. Neither is life.

This isn't a fundamental change this is a simple little anti-murder measure. You must be fighting so hard to oppose this because you're afraid to loose the only method you have of winning against other players.

I think you may be reading meaning in to the term "PvP" that it does not have. PvP simply implies that players can kill one another. It never implies that there will be a fair fight. Only that players will be allowed to kill one another.

Was it too radical of me to figure that when I'd be level 30-35 when I got to a level 30-35 planet to fight enemy level 30-35s? (And so on and so forth for each appropriate level.)

Clearly you haven't read a single comment in this thread. PvE servers aren't PvP servers. And I signed up to a PvP server hoping that I'd be a level 30 by the time I got to a level 30 planet, and I'd get to lock blades with other level 30s.

Clearly, this must be your first MMO. If it's not then I really don't see how you are not used to the way PvP works.

Was it too radical of me to figure that when I'd be level 30-35 when I got to a level 30-35 planet to fight enemy level 30-35s? (And so on and so forth for each appropriate level.)

Yes.

Plus, you say that jerks are unfixable as though they were the Small Pox disease; look how said disease is doing now. I wonder if there were people back then ridiculing the notion of curing it.

Comparing PvP to small pox? Really?

That's not apples and oranges, it's apples and cobras.

Edited by AbsolutGrndZero

The only issue I have with Open world encounters is wtiht that freaking jawa balloon. They really need to make that a sanctuary zone. If I had a dime for every toon I had that was going for that cron only to wait 20 mins so a assassin could jump in a punt me off.

I really don't need to. The reply was toward your post which was complaining about being ganked. News flash, you're on a pvp server. If you don't want to get ganked go to a pve server. No if, ands, or buts about it.

Clearly, this must be your first MMO. If it's not then I really don't see how you are not used to the way PvP works.

Well then enlighten me. Look me straight in the username and tell me PvP is only when people 30 levels above your level one-shot you when they're bored.

That's what true PvP is and I'm a fool for thinking anything else, apparently.

[sarcasm] What's the point of the Bolster stat, then? That's totally ruining warzones, man. That's not what PvP is about, that bolster stat is totally making warzones more fair than it should be. Bioware should totally remove that stupid bolster stat, man. WHO'S WITH ME? [/sarcasm]

Was it too radical of me to figure that when I'd be level 30-35 when I got to a level 30-35 planet to fight enemy level 30-35s?

Yes.

Then tell me where are the like-leveled enemy-faction players when I reach any given planet? Or does everyone but me automatically start at level 50.

Comparing PvP to small pox? Really?

No, not really. You need to get this mentality out of your head that I'm out to eradicate PvP. If you don't understand the point of this thread, which you clearly don't so far, please don't respond anymore.

I really don't need to. The reply was toward your post which was complaining about being ganked. News flash, you're on a pvp server. If you don't want to get ganked go to a pve server. No if, ands, or buts about it.

So, tell me how I can run around a world, hoping I'd get to lock blades with a like-leveled player of the opposite faction. I signed up for PvP for a reason. I signed up to fight other players. I didn't sign up to get one-shotted by an Imperial Operative who gets their kicks by murdering players who can't even dream of defending themselves.

And don't tell me to just run around a PvE world with my PvP flag on. I've been playing this game since Beta, and personal experience dictates that only level 55s run around non-PvP worlds with their PvP flags on.

So, tell me how I can run around a world, hoping I'd get to lock blades with a like-leveled player of the opposite faction. I signed up for PvP for a reason. I signed up to fight other players. I didn't sign up to get one-shotted by an Imperial Operative who gets their kicks by murdering players who can't even dream of defending themselves.

And don't tell me to just run around a PvE world with my PvP flag on. I've been playing this game since Beta, and personal experience dictates that only level 55s run around non-PvP worlds with their PvP flags on.

Deal with it or go to a pve server. This is how pvp servers work, get over it. And its not even that big of a deal. I've leveled two toons on pot5 now and have only been ganked once.

Edited by Raansu

Deal with it or go to a pve server. This is how pvp servers work, get over it. And its not even that big of a deal. I've leveled two toons on pot5 now and have only been ganked once.

Yeah, once more I will quote my cousin Annika...

"You haven't played WoW until you've been ganked 37 times in STV."

And with that wonderful quote, I'm done with this thread. The OP isn't going to get it, he's not going to stop trying to convince us how broken PvP is, and he still thinks a comparison to small pox is valid.

Sorry to say, but I am thinking he's either a troll or something else.