At least SWTOR isn't as bad as STO

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple DS9 rule...

If Sisco has a beard, it will be decent. If he doesn't, it will suck.

So very true haha, thats when they first released DS9 and he had no Beard, that was when the concept was....'to boldly sit where no man has sat before'....then they thought, wait a minute...this sucks a donkey big time, so introduced the Defiant etc etc and Sisko's beard....lol

I have always used that same yard stick to gauge a DS9 episode lol

I've actually been playing STO more than SWTOR since the new Romulan expansion came out. Sure there were hiccups but there always are when big updates go out. Lest we forget all the server clogs when SWTOR launched.

It is actually fun but that is because they have basically copied aspects of SWTOR. The new Romulan missions are story based and you pick up your bridge officers via those story missions.

This means that you now know who your bridge officers are, they have a background story and personality.. just like SWTOR companions.

So SWTOR is having an impact on other games.

I logged in right as the servers went up after STO's expansion and ive not had an issue playing since, it got laggy once on release night but i had been on about 5 hours so it was time to log anyway, suffered no disconnects (that werent corrected after 20 seconds), no issues with lost characters - basically none of the problems the OP reports

STO's one server policy can make it a choppy game experience around a content release but day or night all around the world there is a healthy population and always stuff going on, in a few days alot of people who returned only to try new content will have burned through it and almost all of your issues will be gone.

And as far as daily restarts, there havent been daily restarts but there have been restarts, their update patch was HUGE, new content, UI update, texture updates they changed almost every part of the game and then when bugs got reported... they fixed them.

I play both games and dont want to knock either of them but..... If TOR put out an update the size of Legacy Of Romulus then i think the game would crash, since they cant do a patch 5% the size without breaking things and cant fix them without having to reschedule the maintenance patch a couple of times - and those would only be for the issues that they even admit exist

I played STO a while back. I've always been more of a landbattle person myself, leading to this:

Me: Oh, good! A new planet to land on that certainly is full of klingons and romulans to disintegrate with my shiny 60's Trek phaser! I shall land!

*attempts to land on planet, no avail.*

*Force Chokes computer * I find your lack of ground combat disturbing.

For my personal standards and preferences, SWTOR is my favorite. Just saying.

no wonder that game used to hog my connection

Actually, that would probably be the fault of Pando Media Booster--the downloader for the STO client. You can actually uninstall that after you install STO. PWE actually changed the way most of their games are distributed so it's hardly necessary anymore...unfortunately, their new platform for downloading created its own bag of cats...but that's another story for another forum :p

With all of the gripes that y'all have about SWTOR, I tried Star Trek Online. It's WAY worse than SWTOR. Y'all have it NICE compared to over there.. and, yes.. I signed up after Legacy Of Romulus was released... but this has been an ongoing problem.

In the 1 week I've played, I've experienced:

DAILY server reboots

MULTIPLE shard disconnects

They don't have individual servers. They run MULTIPLE MMO's on the same server

Lost characters

Launcher lockouts

When upgrading my skills, the game CRASHES to desktop

Rude community

Game bugs (what MMO doesn't???)

So when complaining how bad SWTOR is, remember... it could ALWAYS be worse!!

You can't clean yourself in others filth.

Just because somebody does it worse, is no reason to slack yourself. Instead hold yourself to the standard of those doing it better and strive to improve until you reach #1; and then strive to hold that position.

Edited by xandax

Yeah...it's a good thing we don't have:

• Free-roaming space combat
  • Space PvP
  • Customizable ship exteriors
  • Custom ship names
  • Customizable ship bridges
  • Bridge officer (companion) selection choices
  • Guild star bases
  • Etc....

here in SWTOR. That would be a travesty.

The space combat in STO is pretty great. Definitely worth checking out if you are interested in that type of thing. The ground combat would be abysmal for a circa 2000 shooter.

The writers have virtually zero budget and it shows in the production values of the stories...but if nothing else, it's populated with so many Easter Eggs that Trek fans are pretty happy. I mean, if it happened in an episode in any series it probably shows up at some point in the game.

And as another person mentioned, they have a boatload of options and features that SWTOR players should be envious of.

Edited by Amera

The space combat in STO is pretty great. Definitely worth checking out if you are interested in that type of thing. The ground combat would be abysmal for a circa 2000 shooter.

The writers have virtually zero budget and it shows in the production values of the stories...but if nothing else, it's so more populated with Easter Eggs that it makes a lot of Trek fans happy. I mean, if it happened in an episode in any series it probably shows up at some point in the game.

And as another person mentioned, they have a boatload of options and features that SWTOR players should be envious of.

Well I guess I will defend to story prior to the expansion.

JJ Abrams killed STO's STO's original story - originally Romulus / romulans were going to be a key player for the game. I remember reading a post from someone on the STO crew that said they had over 20 pages of story already written when Paramount called and "needed to have a word with her." After that talk STO literally had to start from scratch will little time.

So if anything blame JJ for the poor stories up to LoR.

Well I guess I will defend to story prior to the expansion.

JJ Abrams killed STO's STO's original story - originally Romulus / romulans were going to be a key player for the game. I remember reading a post from someone on the STO crew that said they had over 20 pages of story already written when Paramount called and "needed to have a word with her." After that talk STO literally had to start from scratch will little time.

So if anything blame JJ for the poor stories up to LoR.

They only have one writer and as I understand it she got the job because she was writing fan fics on a forum.

Also, there are several plot lines in STO's sector block by sector block story. To say the least it would be a vast improvement if they added more people to the writing staff.

LoR's story has so far been a rip from BSG, War of the World and Mass Effect 2 with some "evil" mustache twirling Romulans added to boot.

I'm waiting for one of my annoying bridge officers to be tied to the space train tracks and I'm forced to rescue him/her before the space train crushes them. Which given the way the story has panned out so far, won't be that long from now.

How can you guys knock STO? It's not perfect but it does a vast number of things better than SWTOR.

SWTOR is well on its way to becoming a generic MMO. Bioware has no plans to continue the class storylines. You level to 50 to go to Makeb to 55 and grind ops. Whoop de friggin do, every themepark MMO has that. There are no guild ships, you can't customize your ship AT ALL, not that it matters anyway. There are no 'star wars' per se, just space on rails.

Literally SWTOR's claim to fame it has is great voice acting and lightsabers and a good personalized storyline 1-50. THis is awesome, but it's going the way of the do do.

Me, I unsubbed... I see the writing on the wall, and i've played the class stories. I got better things to do than grind gear. And there's no point in logging back in since my lack of sub has removed dozens of QOL features from the game... STO i can play for free and get pretty much everything.

There's a reason STO is going extremely strong for an f2p game while SWTOR is considered the joke of the MMO world outside these forums... and it has a lot to do with this game's direction (if you can call it that.)

Edited by maxetius

How can you guys knock STO? It's not perfect but it does a vast number of things better than SWTOR.

SWTOR is well on its way to becoming a generic MMO. Bioware has no plans to continue the class storylines. You level to 50 to go to Makeb to 55 and grind ops. Whoop de friggin do, every themepark MMO has that. There are no guild ships, you can't customize your ship AT ALL, not that it matters anyway. There are no 'star wars' per se, just space on rails.

Literally SWTOR's claim to fame it has is great voice acting and lightsabers and a good personalized storyline 1-50. THis is awesome, but it's going the way of the do do.

Me, I unsubbed... I see the writing on the wall, and i've played the class stories. I got better things to do than grind gear. And there's no point in logging back in since my lack of sub has removed dozens of QOL features from the game... STO i can play for free and get pretty much everything.

There's a reason STO is going extremely strong for an f2p game while SWTOR is considered the joke of the MMO world outside these forums... and it has a lot to do with this game's direction (if you can call it that.)

So, wait wait, let me get this straight: SWTOR is considered a joke, yet is turning a tidy profit, is rather well-known for it's storylines, and is still online?

Okay then. Not sure where you're getting this from. Some review sites may dislike it, but they only reflect the opinions of a few players.

Like what exactly?

STO has found a way to turn time into a currency, they call it dilithium and it's also got a gate on it. That's right you have to spend time to collect the time currency then you can only refine 8000 ore per day.

Spend time to collect time in currency form but then spend more time because you're gated for the day because you spent too much time collecting time currency!

If you want to craft, you need dilithium, more than a days worth for anything decent. If you want to buy an upgrade, dilithium, again more than a days worth, if you want to work towards getting items from the reputation system, which mind you isn't account wide and has to be raised on every character you roll. Again dilithium.

Oh then there is the fleet starbase system. A fleet system that charges you dilithium to upgrade the starbase, unlock items, provision to purchase items and then purchase items. By the way, you've been charged dilithium 4 times at this point.

The zen store is the place to go for the best ships and ability consoles, all of which can be picked up for at least $20 or more. P2W at it's finest!

The doff system is a trading card game and the best doffs coming from lockboxes! Better buy some keys from the zen store.

The mail system and the UI are currently screwed, some people can't even set up their talent points.

The story is lack luster.

The ground combat is laughable.

The customization is literally skin deep, you can change the way you look but you can't upgrade your weapons, change the damage type or keep your set bonuses and or have the base item stats you want.

The game has only recently received some some meaningful customization improvements via the new trait system.

The only good thing the game has going for it is the space combat and a bust size slider bar.

And it's superior to SWTOR? Okay...

So, wait wait, let me get this straight: SWTOR is considered a joke, yet is turning a tidy profit, is rather well-known for it's storylines, and is still online?

Okay then. Not sure where you're getting this from. Some review sites may dislike it, but they only reflect the opinions of a few players.

Profit aside, a lot of the features that make SWTOR great could also end up being its own limitations to its future growth.

-I havent been to Makeb yet, but from what everyone is saying there were no class missions there.

-new classes: How easy do you think it would be for BW to add in a new class that starts at level 1? WoW has already added 2. STO doesnt really have room for new classes, but they can easily add one in because none of WoW and STOs classes are tied to VO work, class or companion storylines

-new races: There is a small minority of people who want droids, jawas, and wookies. But they cant due to the way the game is designed and because of limitations with the game engine. The only races we may ever see must conform to body types 1-4 and will either speak in a Brit accent or non Brit accent.

-guild ships: I'm not a fan of requests for guild ships, or guild halls or whatever. But last time i checked STO has Fleet (guild) starbases. I think there are even NPCs on your fleet starbases that give out assignments or tasks that you can complete for currency (which is then used to buy fleet (upgraded) ships and fleet weapons.

The story is lack luster.

The ground combat is laughable.

The customization is literally skin deep, you can change the way you look but you can't upgrade your weapons, change the damage type or keep your set bonuses and or have the base item stats you want.

The game has only recently received some some meaningful customization improvements via the new trait system.

The only good thing the game has going for it is the space combat and a bust size slider bar.

And it's superior to SWTOR? Okay...

I wasnt a fan of the whole dilithium grind...but if i dont like something i dont participate. But they changed the way you earn upgrades now, so i dont know if i would have to do the Dil grind or what. Story updates, i haven't been really paying attention but i do know that STO releases storyline content every so often, but not enough to suit my tastes. They also havent released a lot of new 5 mans which is what i like to do, but i dont think that is their focus when it comes to content releases. The Borg were the main bad guys up until recently and that was getting kinda old.

Also just a minor thing...but pointing out that STOs ground combat is bad is like saying that SWTORs space combat is bad. I think that STOs main thing is the space combat, and SWTORs is ground. I will say this though...if space is STOs primary and ground is SWTORs primary then the alternate gameplay on STO is a little bit better then what SWTOR has.

Also in addition to the bust slider dont forget about the hip slider and the seven of nine costume :p hehe no joke, whenever i customize my bridge officers i adjust their heights a little, change their pose, pretty up their head/face, slide the bust and hip size all the way up, then stick them in a body suit lol.