The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Ahh, marauders.

False Emperor HM, a level 54 marauder wearing a mixture of low level willpower, cunning and strength gear. Despite his lack of appropriate gear and very low hp, he bravely took on every mob without bothering to wait for the tank. And I mean, EVERY mob. When asked not to kill mobs we could skip (ie. mobs standing innocently on the other side of the room, minding their own business) he advised us that he was very keen to level to 55 so he could "finish the game". I was healing, and it went something like this - marauder attacks mob, marauder goes splat. So even though he was doing everything wrong, I can't say that he was a burden to the healer.

DF SM pug group. A marauder who was one those "elite story mode" raiders. Questioning people about whether they were experienced enough to be there, and advising the group what HE would be doing during the fight. I checked his achievements and he had completed SM DF and part of SM DP, that was it. First adds as you get in the door, he engages before the tank and dies. He blames the healers, who he says are all useless. He dies early on in every fight; to fire, to lasers and to every group of adds in between bosses which of course he had pulled before the tanks. Eventually he was kicked for "dying too much".

So, as of late, I've been running around on all 3 tanking classes(juggernaut, powertech, and assassin) trying to decide which one I would like to take 55. I have yet to make a decision and all 3 are still low(Hammer Station/Athiss) level. I've put off doing regular flashpoints through group finder because of past experiences, but I knew at some point I would have to use it since the daily/weekly XP is very good and I'm not a fan of tacticals.

Anyways, I'm running around on my lowbie assassin tank last night, questing, and decide I may as well get the daily and weekly done, so I que up for a flashpoint and get an instant pop for Hammer Station. I zone in, greet everyone, look over the team composition(another assassin, sniper, and merc healer), throw guard on the sniper as he is the best geared out of the two DPS, and off we go. Everything starts off good, the DPS are letting me initiate combat, so I'm thinking this will be a smooth run, yeah, I was wrong.

As we enter the corridor with the first major pull, I stop to whisper the healer letting them know I will keep an eye on their heat, but if I start going to fast to let me know and I will slow the pace. As I'm typing this to the healer, I hear my lightsaber ignite. I look around, the healer is behind me and the sniper is next to me, so that leaves the DPS assassin. I force speed into the corridor and see the assassin has initiated combat, nothing major, but I sense this assassin is going to be a problem now, and boy, was I right.

As I'm sitting there looking at the "major" pull, with the elites & strongs, about to initiate combat(I hate this pull by the way), I see the DPS assassin stealth, start moving forward, and before I could react, they have initiated combat by getting to close to one of the elites. I force speed into combat taunting one of the elites, and throwing out discharges as soon as it comes off cooldown. Needless to say, my attempt to regain control was futile as we wiped. As we all head back to finish off the pull(one elite was dead), I look over the DPS assassin and notice they were in dark charge and kindly ask that they switch stances to which they do. So, as we reenter corridor, I look over what we have left before I begin to initiate combat, the DPS assassin does the exact same thing they did before that caused a team wipe. Luckily with one of the elites down, I was able to regain control of the situation and no one died. Needless to say this DPS assassin was a pain the entire flashpoint.

Using overload when I had groups packed together for the merc healer to AoE them, trying to whirlwind mobs that I am actively engaged with, attacking skippable mobs, stealthing and getting to close to elites and up(did this on the Vorgan fight as I'm making sure everyone is ready before I initiate combat), leaving combat to get the chest under the staircase, and going AFK during the Kreshan fight.

As soon as the flashpoint was over, I wished everyone good luck in their travels in SWTOR, promptly logged out after turning in the daily/weekly, and made a merc. I know everyone I will encounter in group finder will not be like this, but the ones that I do encounter, sour it for me. As much as I like tanking, I'm not sure if I can deal with people like this on the long road to 55.

That's what you're missing... 44k HP sub-180s tank is stacking *way* too much endurance, either via augments or by endurance-high comms gear.

Don't.

Silly question, I thought tanks were meant to be endurance high?

Mine is geared with:

endurance high armour/hilts

endurance crystals

defence mods

defence augments

shield/absorb enhancements.

Am I supposed to be going mainstat high on my armouring/hilt?

same as for tanks guarding random dps based only on HP.

well who else are you going to put it on before you see who can do their rotations correctly? I always guard the highest hp dps, then watch them both during the first a couple pulls to see who needs it. Its better than no guard at all for the first couple pulls.

Edited by BobFredJohn

Mine is geared with:

endurance crystals

defence mods

defence augments

Yes, of course they have to have high health.

But the stuff from the Vendor has very high endurance but low migitation (shield/absorb/defense) stats, which are way more important.

Your gear is good, but some Tanks (me too) go for the DPS MH and power crystals for better aggro. That way you loose around 1k HP but you also gain up to 100 TPS.

well who else are you going to put it on before you see who can do their rotations correctly? I always guard the highest hp dps, then watch them both during the first a couple pulls to see who needs it. Its better than no guard at all for the first couple pulls.

Inspect their gear. If you have one 40k DPS with full oriconian and one 38.5k DPS in full dread forged gear, who will be doing more dps?

Edited by CheaterLL

Yes, of course they have to have high health.

But the stuff from the Vendor has very high endurance but low migitation (shield/absorb/defense) stats, which are way more important.

Your gear is good, but some Tanks (me too) go for the DPS MH and power crystals for better aggro. That way you loose around 1k HP but you also gain up to 100 TPS.

Beat me to it! For the most part, it is the enhancements that are endurance heavy. Only way to correct that issue is to craft or buy crafted replacements.

You dont need to guard leap to it, and you have to use a "target next ally" keybinding to even target it to leap to. This can get screwed up cycling through all of your team before it gets the generator in your sights. And if this takes too long, guard leaping will land you far enough from the generator that the boss will be out of range for the rampage. Since you jumped, the boss will leap to you and stun ... etc, this is just not a good way to do it. At all.

There is never a reason not to have the Expeditious Protector / Rule of Two talents. You do not need a CD reduction on Retaliate while you have Saber Ward up, you do not need a CD reduction on Force Push or a resource reduction on your slow, and Ravage is just a filler move for when you have *nothing* else you could be doing for a tank. Always get that speed boost. It is so useful.

I've actually never taken that talent. Though I've seen it in use. It's quite useful when the guarded player is taking damage, such the sand storm encounter but otherwise it doesn't really do anything. Though I've never had much of an issue with the sand storm boss.

Guardian leap, get out of everything pvp ability and or running sideways do the trick for me.

You dont need to guard leap to it, and you have to use a "target next ally" keybinding to even target it to leap to. This can get screwed up cycling through all of your team before it gets the generator in your sights. And if this takes too long, guard leaping will land you far enough from the generator that the boss will be out of range for the rampage. Since you jumped, the boss will leap to you and stun ... etc, this is just not a good way to do it. At all.

I just click target and guardian leap. Never failed. I haven't done any FP's on my guardian for more then 6 months though as I don't do flashpoints anymore. Of course you can just run, even WITHOUT expeditious protector you can make it in time.

Not necessarily weird but I found it annoying.

I will make this story as short as I possibly can. Que up in gf for the daily 10 ultimate comms the group is myself as sentinel dps another sentinel dps my guildie as a shadow tank and a scoundrel healer.

I notice that on a few pulls the other sentinel dps has pulled ahead of our shadow tank a few times. So I whisper my guildie to tell the other sentinel to stop pulling ahead of him but my guildie is very patient as a tank so he really does not say anything to the other sentinel.

Fast forward to the last boss ( this is our second attempt on the last boss because the boss had bugged out the first time we tried).

Now I will refer to the other sentinel dps as Ben. We get to about half/three quarters through the boss fight and Ben says to me...

Ben: Let me destroy a turret on my own.

Me: no :p

Ben: but I can destroy quickly

Me: still no :p

Now after we kill the boss...

( I forget most of what Ben said but as far as I can remember he said something along the lines of wanting me to duel him. So I clearly already know that Ben is raging because of me helping him kill a turret.)

Ben: Duel me

Me: No I am not going to waste my time on you I have better things to do

Ben: Ha another kid

I obviously don't reply at this point and I just put Ben on ignore.

Opinions on this? weird? annoying? or both? Was I being the weirdo/jerk? or was Ben the weirdo/jerk?

Edited by cefert

Not necessarily weird but I found it annoying.

I will make this story as short as I possibly can. Que up in gf for the daily 10 ultimate comms the group is myself as sentinel dps another sentinel dps my guildie as a shadow tank and a scoundrel healer.

I notice that on a few pulls the other sentinel dps has pulled ahead of our shadow tank a few times. So I whisper my guildie to tell the other sentinel to stop pulling ahead of him but my guildie is very patient as a tank so he really does not say anything to the other sentinel.

Fast forward to the last boss ( this is our second attempt on the last boss because the boss had bugged out the first time we tried).

Now I will refer to the other sentinel dps as Ben. We get to about half/three quarters through the boss fight and Ben says to me...

Ben: Let me destroy a turret on my own.

Me: no :p

Ben: but I can destroy quickly

Me: still no :p

Now after we kill the boss...

( I forget most of what Ben said but as far as I can remember he said something along the lines of wanting me to duel him. So I clearly already know that Ben is raging because of me helping him kill a turret.)

Ben: Duel me

Me: No I am not going to waste my time on you I have better things to do

Ben: Ha another kid

I obviously don't reply at this point and I just put Ben on ignore.

Opinions on this? weird? annoying? or both? Was I being the weirdo/jerk? or was Ben the weirdo/jerk?

I would have loled in chat myself at him... :rolleyes:

I can understand many things, but getting mad because the other dps helps you killing a turret... It's out of my understanding abilities. :o

I would have found it annoying mostly for the flagging that would have occurred if you did accept to duel him.

That said, you did nothing wrong at all on my perspective... While he may need a bit of patience to grow inside him. :p

Tbh I can't see ppl calling him to do something... rather cursing their luck when they find him in their group. :D

well ben was the weirdo..

about stacking endurance on tanks, it's just that token enhancements provide good endurance and a bigger amount of mitigation stats defense, shield, absorb like:

76 endurance

94 mitigation 1

39 mitigation 2

or

55 endurance

94 mitigation 1

62 mitigation 2

while vendor enhancements:

94 endurance

88 mitigation 1

22 mitigation 2

same for dps, vendor has:

76 endurance

39 power/crit

94 surge/accuracy/alacrity

while token gear enhancements are:

55 endurance

94 stat1

62 stat2

Snip

Depends how you look at it, it might not have damaged the group/fight/caused a wipe to let him try 1 by himself, but there is no reason he should want to. There is certainly no reason for getting annoyed with some1 who finds completing the mission to be more important that someone testing themselves

My mind has started unravelling after a lowbie hammer station run...

Im on my scoundrel healer. theres sent dps, shadow dps and guardian tank.

We say our hello's and set off with tank pulling most times, shadow does afew pulls but generally nothing out the ordinary for lowbie fp's.

Get to the first boss:

Shadow dps: "*tanks name* you pull, your the tank"

Straight after saying this the shadow throws guard on the tank. I have to double-take this, checking what has just been written in chat, the shadow is definately telling the guardian to pull as the tank. Then I check the buffs to see who is guarding who. The shadow is in combat technique and guarding the tank, who is in soresu. The sound of my jaw dropping is probably audible from next door, before I can say anything the tank pulls.

After the fight:

Me: "this may be a stupid question, but why has the dps just guarded the tank after aknowledging roles?"

Shadow: "what?"

Me: "why tell the tank they are tanking then put guard on them"

Shadow: "?"

Me: "you have just made your aggro as high as possible while lowering the tanks aggro as much as possible, then told them they should tank"

Shadow: "oh, I see"

At this point the guard is removed from the tank, and I assume the shadow is going to switch to force technique, then a guard appears on me as the healer. I check buffs and...its coming from the shadow who is in tank stance with guard on healer, while the tank has still not guarded anyone (we are now about 4 trash pulls after the first boss), but has been pulling first on everything. Suddenly the sent starts pulling, not chain pulling or anything, but all fights are now started by a dps instead of the tank.

Me: "sorry im confused who is doing what" (to re-iterate at this point, im healing, I have a guard on me from 1 of the dps, the other dps is pulling and the tank is running in tanking stance, taunting but no guard and tunnel visioning)

The shadow starts explaining why they are in tank stance, at which point I give up

Me: "tell you what, ill just keep people alive"

We complete the mission with the sent doing most of the pulling, the tank using taunts etc but not guarding anything and the shadow dps in tanking stance with a guard on the healer. Luckily the enemies seemed to melt so it was over with quickly, much longer and my mind would have disintergrated.

The strange thing is all 3 of these people were prefectly pleasant, as such I couldn't bring myself to correct all their mistakes, it just seemed rude.

Edited by BobFredJohn

Sometimes you just get a dps in lowbie FP saying that you should Guard healer and if you don't they will.

Funny thing is:

- dps and healer are usually from same guild

- healer whines about it until he/she gets Guard

I've had few of these runs on Red Eclipse and it's pure "wahwahwah, gogogo-kdy-style!". Only thing you can do as a tank at that point is to leave.

55 endurance

94 mitigation 1

62 mitigation 2

Those dont exist.

I've had few of these runs on Red Eclipse and it's pure "wahwahwah, gogogo-kdy-style!". Only thing you can do as a tank at that point is to leave.

There needs to be a parody of Gangnam Style about KDY.

Edited by Dras_Keto

Mine is geared with:

endurance crystals

defence mods

defence augments

Go for mainstat hitl/barrel and mainstat armorings on bracers, belt and 5th armor piece once you get your set bonus.

Sometimes you just get a dps in lowbie FP saying that you should Guard healer and if you don't they will.

Funny thing is:

- dps and healer are usually from same guild

- healer whines about it until he/she gets Guard

I'm tanking on TRE and I usually get "OMG SLOW DOWN" from people. Healers that demand guard have their demands ignored and game mechanics explained.

I'm a sage and I LOVE pulling teammates.

I kill guildies and I kill friends. Nobody cries. I pull people who are right in front of me, nobody cries. BUT

This one CZ run, we were on the part where you drop down to fight the annoying droid. Well I grabbed the last security key and this individual said he was going to use a quick bio. He was right near the edge so I did a run over the edge and pulled him down.

Well, when he returned he freaked out. I told him it was just a joke and I was just moving him down. I even healed him up before he got back. Ultimately his reason for trying (and failing) to kick me was "trying to kill an afk player"

I apologized, he /ignore me, we finished the FP with no problems. Haven't seen him since.

I got priceless DPS yesterday on Czerka Labs HM. He was a Shadow and had Oricon gear (I mean one you get from Oricon story, not 180) so he was barely enough geared (he had below 50 implants and ear and relics)

Other DPS was well geared Sent and Tank well geared VG. I was on my healer Sage.

We all say helloes and off we go. Before first boss Shadow admits this is his first Flashpoint.

So he has never done Fp and starts with 55HM? None of us still kicks him, instead Tank explains the fight. And Shadow says he understands so off we go. We get it to 40% when our Shadow gets killed by adds and Sent doesnt notice it, and I die.(Tank had assigned Shadow to adds)

We regroup and Tank asks Shadow what happened and why did killing adds take so long.

Shadow: there were AoEs on ground

Tank: there is not floorcandy on this fight

Shadow: there was. It made me burn.

Tank: There is not floor AoEs on this fight

Sentinel: I believe its Salvation...

Tank: Ahhh!!! Thats caused by Adaliaya, you don't need to avoid it

Shadow: But I read guide and it said "avoid bad things on floor"

At this point Tank signs Sent to adds and tells me to assist DPS to not hit enrage and off we go, this time we beat it ^^

He might have been playing Imperial characters before that Shadow making Salvation new to him. I still remember my guild of highly experienced Rep raiders switching to Imp and going for S&V 16HM - people were actively running out of my Sorcerer's AoE heal (Ofc I don't know the name LOL :D) because it was purple and on the ground. :D

P.S. Updated Bestia with yellow circles was fun too. :D

He might have been playing Imperial characters before that Shadow making Salvation new to him. I still remember my guild of highly experienced Rep raiders switching to Imp and going for S&V 16HM - people were actively running out of my Sorcerer's AoE heal (Ofc I don't know the name LOL :D) because it was purple and on the ground. :D

Revivification. Also, this gave me a few chuckles.

This happened a while back. I was leveling my madness sorc and ran Directive 7 with a guildie on his merc healer. We get a jugg tank and a merc pyro dps and begin the flashpoint. During the Mentor Assassin Droid fight we all notice that the jugg is taking a lot of damage and he couldn't hold any aggro on the trash leading up to it, afterwards I take a look at his gear. He's in a mix of light and medium armor shells with willpower, aim and cunning mods, the only strength mods I can see are in his boots. I whisper him (rather than cause drama in group chat and totally embarrass the guy) and suggest he look on the numerous sites on the web and check out what gear he needs for his char. He responds with "Yea but I like the look of this stuff". I try to explain that jugg tanks are heavy armor users and tell him what mods he should be wearing. His response "What do you know? Your toon looks like a ******!!" and he ragequit the group. (My char was dressed in the dancers outfit)

We decide to continue and I bring out Khem as our tank. Khem holds aggro perfectly and we keep taking a steady pace through the fp. Trying to position Khem for certain fights was tricky, but we all get through and complete the fp with Khem as the hero.

Edited by AvalonBunny

Might be, I actually favor raiding on repside over impside because Rep animations are'nt as easily confused to boss's ones. Plus on PvP some Imp animations attract way more attention.

For example Snipe warns target beforehand (or does target see laser on himself, correct me if I'm wrong) but Charged Burst does not.

Well, I doubt no one changes sides because of this but its one factor, Sorc AoE heal for example, Sec X has mobs who use that exact ability.

Im rather new to rep side, spend all my time on imps. As such all my reps are under lvl 50, but just to clarify for when it comes round

Does the sage AOE heal look like fire?

As for the post above, pretty much all sith enemies (PVE ones) have that purple circle heal, but its possible to tell that it wont damage you just by looking at the red damage text popping up.

But I do get what you mean about people prefering reps as its easier to play, but i think it goes further...

Force quake has a larger area than force storm (though not by much)

mortar volley has larger area than DFA

sweeping fire has a larger area that suppressive fire

Then there's all the bugs which went unfixed until recently

TFP weekly available to all levels for reps, 55 only on imps

No circles in modo final phase

longer gap between station guardian 1 add summons

Though I will say 1 thing, the boarding party flashpoint is so much better than taral V, just so much more interesting.

Edited by BobFredJohn

Im rather new to rep side, spend all my time on imps. As such all my reps are under lvl 50, but just to clarify for when it comes round

Does the sage AOE heal look like fire?

As for the post above, pretty much all sith enemies (PVE ones) have that purple circle heal, but its possible to tell that it wont damage you just by looking at the red damage text popping up.

But I do get what you mean about people prefering reps as its easier to play, but i think it goes further...

Force quake has a larger area than force storm (though not by much)

mortar volley has larger area than DFA

sweeping fire has a larger area that suppressive fire

Then there's all the bugs which went unfixed until recently

TFP weekly available to all levels for reps, 55 only on imps

No circles in modo final phase

longer gap between station guardian 1 add summons

Though I will say 1 thing, the boarding party flashpoint is so much better than taral V, just so much more interesting.

There has also been Merc doing more DPS then Mando ;P And Reps not being able to gear HK-51 companion for comms. So it's not like it's not going both ways.