The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Shadow tanks have AOE-threat since 14 level. It's called Discharge or Force breach.

But unfortunatly some players don't know it :D

Oh? Cool, I learned something new today :)

Which compels the question, why would one want to knock one's target/s away from oneself if one is melée?

Edited by midianlord

Which compels the question, why would one want to knock one's target/s away from oneself if one is melée?

If it's spread over wide area that knockback can be actually use to press things together. I use it a lot when tanking even in 55 HM and NiM content. Such as Corruptor zero add pack in the beginning. Also it builds some threat on all of them so they don't run away for the healer but come to me and can be hit with my other abilities. Of course I won't normally use it while melee are in combat with mobs. I have used it though to prevent myself from dying on some trash pulls last night in 5-man 16-man S&V ;) It's all situational as always.

Force Wave/Overload also applies a knockdown to standards/weaks, which can be useful when trying to keep mobs off the healer. But yeah, it needs to be managed properly so as not to knock adds out of AoEs.

It's VERY useful for DPS Shadows dealing with CC-immune adds, since it's a big hit that's free and hits unlimited targets in the cone. Case in point: the Titan Probes in the Titan 6 fight in S&V.

It's VERY useful for DPS Shadows dealing with CC-immune adds, since it's a big hit that's free and hits unlimited targets in the cone. Case in point: the Titan Probes in the Titan 6 fight in S&V.

Is it that powerful that you want to push it out of my flyby and incendiary grenade? Or your guildies mortar volley? Since you just succesfully kicked the adds out of those ;-)

I aggree on the rest of your post btw

Is it that powerful that you want to push it out of my flyby and incendiary grenade? Or your guildies mortar volley? Since you just succesfully kicked the adds out of those ;-)

Titan-6 adds mentioned above have boss immunity and are immune to knockback.

KDY: 3 Assassins and Marauder.

I joined middle of FP to this random group of Assassins and everything was right... except bloody knockbacks everywhere! Force Charge -> Gore -> Rav... Ravage?... No, just run -> Ravage and every decent player out there already knows why that's annoying. We got to the boss eventually and we fail.

Station Guardian One, the most difficult/bugged boss in the game if we believe some of the players.

First thing I notice these assassins don't do that much damage. Are they all in tank stance? No, they all used Lightning Charge. But I didn't see a single Death Field at any point... Killing adds takes too long, there's like 5+ small droids all shooting at me. Boss resets two or three times before everyone leaves. I'm all alone there and so shocked that I didn't know if I should try to solo (stupid) it or leave (smart).

Edited by Halinalle

I specifically mentioned only CC-immune adds, those which are immune to stuns, knockbacks, knockdowns, slows, immobilizations, and grapples. Yeah, using Force Wave on adds that AREN'T immune to controlling effects is A Very Bad Thing unless they're all grouped up against a wall anyway.

Mandalorian Raiders Story Mode:

Commando dps, Sentinel dps, Guardian tank, Scoundrel healer

Normal run. Sentinel tunnel visions strongest mobs most of the run and only at the end realizes that "oh we are supposed to kill these first". So I end up Commando tanking everything tank hasn't touched for last few seconds (because it's not nice to let mobs attack healer) and thanks to Kolto Bomb I manage do that without dying. Only useful Aim item that drops is nice implant and of course I want it (I haven't even started Nar Shaddaa yet) but Sentinel gets it. :mad:

Edited by Halinalle

Besides the few legitimate uses and the occasional situational usefulness, one uses their knockback on cool down / pull to send enemies flying out of AOE, out of melee range, and into other packs for one reason only.

And that reason is to let the rest of us know they are bad.

Edited by DawnAskham

HM Cademimu on my merc healer last night. Tank has never done HM before but he's not horribly geared so there's hope and we tell him that we'll take our time and explain everything to him. One of the dps takes the initiative and starts to explain the first boss fight to the tank. It's the one with Officer Xander and the big droid that we have to trap. He tells everyone that you dps the droid first and try to trap Xander. I correct him and tell him that it's the COMPELTE OPPOSITE OF WHAT HE SAID. And he's like "oh yeah".

So before we pull, I use a raid marker to show where I think the first trap is going to be and tell everyone to avoid that spot cuz then they'll be trapped inside. We pull and what does one of the dps do? He stands RIGHT ON THAT SPOT and get trapped and he says "oh sh*t" in party chat. He's frozen for a bit and I keep everyone alive while we kite the big droid around until the trapped dps gets unfrozen. So we continue to kite the droid around while we wait for another trap to appear, it pops up and the other dps RUNS RIGHT INTO IT. Again, I keep everyone up, kite the droid around, repeat. During this fiasco, the tank forgets about tanking Xander so Xander starts to shoot me because I have highest threat from healing everyone. When I get the opportunity, I say "hey, tank, can you...like tank the boss and stuff? He's shooting me". He listens and goes back on the boss. We eventually trap the droid and kill him and then the boss without a death in the group, which amazes me.

The whole run was awkward and slow but the part that annoyed me the most was that the tank kept referring to me as "she" and "ms." because my character is female.

*eye roll*

The whole run was awkward and slow but the part that annoyed me the most was that the tank kept referring to me as "she" and "ms." because my character is female.

*eye roll*

Never had anyone refer to one of my female toons as Ms. :D Got a "healer darling, stand here plz" once, loled for quite a while :D

But if a player sees a female toon and doesn't know the player behind that character, why shouldn't they refer to the characters gender?

I don't get what annoys you about that..

Queued for 55HM as my scoundrel, got put in Athiss as a healer. Vanguard tank (33k health), TK Sage (29k health), Combat Sentinel (21k health, WARNING, UNDERGEARED PLAYER). I make a mental note to try and not let the sent die, the tank slaps a guard on me, and we're off to the races!

On the first boss (Professor Ley'Arsha), I tell the sent his job is to not stand in the ick. To be fair, I maybe should have clarified, because for the first bit of the fight he was so scared of standing in the ick that he wasn't even attacking. Ah well, the tank does a good job of picking up the adds, the sentinel starts to get the idea, and we down the boss. We pull the second boss (Beast of Vodal Kressh) back to the cave to avoid the adds and handle him pretty easily. The tank had a little trouble facing him AWAY from the group, but okay.

The bonus boss (Ancient Abomination) was a fun fight. Rather than tanking with a back to the wall, the vanguard basically kited him all over the room, so the DPS and I were getting knocked about in all different directions. He enraged at about 7% health, but I kept the tank alive long enough to finish off the boss.

Now for the final boss (the Prophet of Vodal Kressh)...

I brief the group on the mechanics and comment to the Sage that I'm expecting the (inexperienced and undergeared) sentinel to die to the fire. We get going and the Sentinel quickly dies from standing in the purple stuff. (I think. He may have died to the flames, but I'm not sure.) Now I'm frantically healing to keep the tank and Sage alive, so I don't have a chance to toss him a rez, and he rezzes out and comes running back in.

A few cycles later, the Sage gets tagged with the flames. He tries to kite them but gets lagged and more or less insta-died. I spam-heal myself while running away from the flames, toss him a rez, and we continue. Then of course the Sentinel dies from standing in the purple stuff so....well, we burn the boss the rest of the way down and it's GG.

The Sentinel, who was actually pretty good about taking instruction (if a little shaky on the actual execution) ended up getting a chestpiece out of the run, so all in all pretty good. I can't remember the last time I saw 2 DPS die 3 times on a boss and the group still take the sucker down. Impressive!

CZ Labs HM. Went in with my brother's slinger and my vanguard tank.

Healer pulls the 1st elite mobs. I was like... We get to the 1st group of trash mobs, I pulled, got through. Then the patrolling elite droid comes near, healer pulls again. At this point I'm already NOT in the mood to do situation salvaging. He claims he can tank one elite mob. The only reason he got out alive is because the two DPS are also attacking the mob.

Cleared another trash group, then he pulls the patrolling elite droid again. At this point I hit the quit group, ignore button, then exit area. Some people really needs to know that different people have different preferences on how they swing, and at least myself, don't like the way he's pulling ahead of me.

Edited by mustopak

CZ Labs HM. Went in with my brother's slinger and my vanguard tank.

Healer pulls the 1st elite mobs. I was like... We get to the 1st group of trash mobs, I pulled, got through. Then the patrolling elite droid comes near, healer pulls again. At this point I'm already NOT in the mood to do situation salvaging. He claims he can tank one elite mob. The only reason he got out alive is because the two DPS are also attacking the mob.

Cleared another trash group, then he pulls the patrolling elite droid again. At this point I hit the quit group, ignore button, then exit area. Some people really needs to know that different people have different preferences on how they swing, and at least myself, don't like the way he's pulling ahead of me.

Sometimes I have more patience but as a fellow tank I have no issues with what you chose to do. It really pisses me off because most tanks would rather just be DPSing in the first place, we queue as a tank for your benefit. So if you want to go ahead and make our job even MORE difficult by pulling before us, expect the tank to drop group and put you on ignore and expect even longer queue times than you already had.

That's not to say that some tanks aren't a bit too deliberate at times, but it sounds like this isn't one of those cases.

*eye roll*

I don't really know what a better alternative would be. It would be weird if they knew you and kept referring to you as a she, but behind the computer screen you are what your avatar says you are. It seems kind of rude to default the entire player base to male otherwise. xD

First time I ran with my GM I thought that she was the other healer the whole time since it was the only other female avatar. It blew my mind when I figured out that she was playing the male sent. That was a pretty dumb moment for my part. Haha.

Rolled an Operative healer to learn healing (first time in my life playing MMOs, I'm learning to heal :o), once I got a bit confident, queue up in GF and get an SM Cademimu run. Team consists of a Sin Tank, a Merc and a Sniper DPS and myself on my operative healer.

We Roll in, I let people know that I'm a noob healer and bear with me. Get told all good and we roll in. Before the first trash pull, I start loading people up with kolto probes and Tank puts the following line in Group Chat -

"I WILL ONLY SAY THIS ONCE - KEEP THAT GREEN **** AWAY FROM ME. UNDERSTOOD?"

:eek:

I reply that's a HoT that helps with the heals and helps me get Tactical Advantage stacks. Got the reply - "I Don't care, No Green **** on me. I wont say it again. Next time, you will be kicked." :confused:

I decided not to argue the point and kept the probes running on the rest of the group. That was the first tank I ever met that chucked a hissy fit about having "Green ****" on him.

Rolled an Operative healer to learn healing (first time in my life playing MMOs, I'm learning to heal :o), once I got a bit confident, queue up in GF and get an SM Cademimu run. Team consists of a Sin Tank, a Merc and a Sniper DPS and myself on my operative healer.

We Roll in, I let people know that I'm a noob healer and bear with me. Get told all good and we roll in. Before the first trash pull, I start loading people up with kolto probes and Tank puts the following line in Group Chat -

I reply that's a HoT that helps with the heals and helps me get Tactical Advantage stacks. Got the reply - "I Don't care, No Green **** on me. I wont say it again. Next time, you will be kicked." :confused:

I decided not to argue the point and kept the probes running on the rest of the group. That was the first tank I ever met that chucked a hissy fit about having "Green ****" on him.

Gl with learning to heal.

Lol, no "green ****" on tank! Suicidal bastard :D

Please tell me you let that Rambo tank die, just once, you know because "green ****" is bad for you ;)

So, I understand that the new Flashpoints are listed as tactical. Wouldn't be my decision, because they are definitely harder than SM Czerka FPs or KDY and thus benefit from a healer, but I understand. And I understand that this will cause people to play their roles a bit more lax than they perhaps normally would.

What I don't understand, however, is when Healers wait for the Tank to nearly die before starting to heal. What I don't understand is DPS ignoring kill order and going strong to weak (and the trash has a tendency to be obnoxious in these FPs, so ignoring kill order can get you killed), standing in the middle of an AoE (I'm not talking about the bosses, that's forgiveable if you do it the first time) or taunting mobs of the Tank for no apparent reason.

I'm also extremely sad about 2 of the bosses - Liam Dentiri and Lord Renning. Who will I deliver my spare bone marrow samples to in the future? Who will torture newbies with his supply of battle droids? :(

During Cademimu HM on my commando healer i got what it seemed a nice group judging by the HP, after the first pull i realized a DPS sent had no stance and was apparently running a Watchman/Combat/Focus hybrid judging by the buffs she got. I judgested to put a stance on since it will increase her DPS, she then got mad at me for saying that and left the group. Luckily it was just a DPS and got one quickly. But it still amazes me that she had a mix of 69/72 gear and completely no idea how to play the class.

Just got into a HM Czerka Labs and as I phase in one guy goes, "we may not have the dps" then "no where near it". I assume they're kidding, as the two DPS have 39k and ~35k health. The other three people are guildies. Fun. Same guy tells me (tank) to let the Juggy tank, so I check his gear. No wonder he's got 39k, it's all tank gear. So I tell them he shouldn't have queued as a DPS and continue to tank the trash. Other tank says "no its cool" and we continue. Then I notice that the green numbers I'm getting are coming from two places - the healer and the other "DPS" who says "LOL we had no choice to get a 4th in our Q". Well no wonder, since you have two healers and a tank and apparently no one willing to respec. We died almost instantly to the droid boss and I initiate a kick on the other tank to make a point, drop group when it fails. I'll run with my own guildies next time >_>

I don't really know what a better alternative would be. It would be weird if they knew you and kept referring to you as a she, but behind the computer screen you are what your avatar says you are. It seems kind of rude to default the entire player base to male otherwise. xD

First time I ran with my GM I thought that she was the other healer the whole time since it was the only other female avatar. It blew my mind when I figured out that she was playing the male sent. That was a pretty dumb moment for my part. Haha.

In SWTOR, I assume they're male until proven otherwise.

LOL That attitude is going to get him killed eventually, either deliberately or due to lack of healing.

Lowbie Boarding Party.

Op heals, op dps, sin dps and jugg tank.

We got to the first boss. Tank pulls. We fight a few seconds and then tank decides to try the Dr. Frankenstein experiment and exposes himself to all the lightning hitting the room. Oddly enough, such thing didn't turn him into a formidable invincible brute, but rather dead meat on the floor.

I keep healing and we kill the boss.

We rezz him and he says "First time I die in here"

I type "There's always a first time for everything :p"

Few seconds later, tank just ragequits.

We were like... "seriously ?"

I pulled Kaliyo out and we kept going. Killed the next bosses and by the time we were close to the last one, another tank joins.

Such fragile ego on some people. sheesh...