Can we get a response on the Ilum Boosting please?

Keffeine

Leveling content, specifically the stories, are the best part of this game. It's their loss if they choose to skip all of that.

Or, perhaps they already have a Shadow/Sage and their guild wants the opposite for raiding. No one should have to suffer through the Consular story twice. Now they don't have to and the whole server has one more tank/healer. Everyone wins.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, I wanted to focus this thread back on what I started it for: apart from a response from the devs, your ideas on solutions for the 'method', or whether there should even be one in the first place.

There are already too many threads debating whether or not it's a good thing, so let's not go there.

The advantage going to ilum is very low. (Do the math) WE did it as a guild group and had a blast just cause we did it as a group. It is no different then running toons through fps, except we could all go as a large group. As for taking up space there were 3 instances of ilum and each one has 6 pylons.... preventing you from doing your quest... that's a QQ not an excuse. Oh and we were in the pve side and where we couldn't hurt anyone unless a toon who was flagged was silly enough to come up to us.

You'd be better off arguing about the people camping the pvp center there is only one of those.

As for power lvling we had a huge group and only got max a lvl per hour with the CS bonus too. And for most of us these were our 4th+ lvl 50 so yeah were a little tired of the reg questing, but we all said were going back to do the storyline:)

Anyone quit QQ over something so trivial... its 2 weekends and the first is over.

Edited by Chemmie

why what are we doing wrong ??

if its in-game and theres no warning theni cant see whats we doing wrong yur jus upset cause you couldnt do it,

i loved doing it .. and the fact im gona have to grind to 55 at some point in april i will continue to do it until BW decide to change,

ae you a F2P ??

As the title suggests, I think we're all waiting for a response on the practice of grinding from 1X - 50 on Ilum by killing the same Heroic mobs over and over again. It's hardly a heroic experience, and there are many differing opinions on it, which I'd rather not get into here.

First, Ilum isn't a permanent area. The Gree will only be there for one more week.

Second, people pay their sub, I could give a rat's azz how they level up. Leveling in this game is ezmode anyway and just got easier with Double XP weekend. I did not participate in this form of leveling directly, but it does not bother me in the slightest.

Third, I don't think some of you realize how fun it is to take a group of 4 and wipe 15-20 players doing this. My group of 4 guildies ran into a mass of these levelers last night and made their experience a living h*ll for about an hour. I have a screenie of the action, but forgot to upload it. Guess this only happens on PvP servers though.

Edited by DarthOvertone

If someone choose to miss out on the story then that is there pregataive. Honestly I did this in COH when there added architect to the game. Skipping to 50 gives you less to do.

CoH - good example. What happened to that game?

First, Ilum isn't a permanent area. The Gree will only be there for one more week.

Second, people pay their sub, I could give a rat's azz how they level up. Leveling in this game is ezmode anyway and just got easier with Double XP weekend. I did not participate in this form of leveling directly, but it does not bother me in the slightest.

Third, I don't think some of you realize how fun it is to take a group of 4 and wipe 15-20 players doing this. My group of 4 guildies ran into a mass of these levelers last night and made their experience a living h*ll for about an hour. I have a screenie of the action, but forgot to upload it. Guess this only happens on PvP servers though.

This exactly. Other people want to level this way? That's fine. I wont do it, but why should I care if they do?

And I also had fun killing these guys. They may be bolstered but a geared 50 can still dominate them :rak_03:

Edited by Tommot

But seriously, what's your problem with players leveling the way they want? It's legit, it does not affect you in anyway. I had a blast during double xp weekend because I could focus mainly on the class story instead of repeating plenty of additional quests i've done multiple times already in the past.

tl;dr

I have done it, it was cool. Now don't let anyone else get it!

Seriously, why bother? Don't like people playing end-game content with you? I am happy more 50's come with every day.

I would be willing to bet that at least 95% of the people that took advantage of this were alts, so there really would not be any new level 50s. This is not a valid reason to be in favor of it.

I say let everyone who's already done it keep their levels, but patch it up so that only level 45+ will get bolstered on Ilum.

Just had to chime in on this topic. Personally I disagree with it, and I think it would have been much better if Bolster only applied to lvl 45+ like you say; since only lvl 45 + can do the event they are the only ones that should benefit at all. Frankly it seems like an exploit of the Bolster mechanic because I can't really see this as being intended. If it wasn't intended then I guess it's a good thing I'm not in charge over there, because I would strip every single level ever gained through an exploit (including those that at release that got to 50 fast from lowbie warzones giving out incorrect and much higher than intended xp).

As the title suggests, I think we're all waiting for a response on the practice of grinding from 1X - 50 on Ilum by killing the same Heroic mobs over and over again. It's hardly a heroic experience, and there are many differing opinions on it, which I'd rather not get into here.

Personally, I enjoyed getting a few levels on my Sniper with the method, which was otherwise going to lie dormant until I got a couple other alts to 50, so I'm not exactly against it. I do however recognise the long-term detriments of this quick level grind.

I say let everyone who's already done it keep their levels, but patch it up so that only level 45+ will get bolstered on Ilum.

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20130312

"Bolster your characters and advance to Level 50 quicker with first ever Double XP weekends as you prepare to continue your adventure in the first Digital Expansion: Rise of the Hutt Cartel, coming this Spring with 5 new levels and a brand new planet, Makeb!"

TLDR... Bioware wants as many people to be 50 as possible. I would seem that they don't really care how you get there as long as you get there you will be more likely to buy the expansion. They aren't the first company to try to get more people to max level.

Also it should be stated that this xp gain nets about 3 levels an hour. It's not really that much faster than questing with orange quests + xp bonus. It does take work and people can learn to work in groups. This method is not a one button insta-level. Work and time are still required.

It could go either way in my opinion. I participated for about an hour and actually had fun doing it, but wouldn't lose sleep if it was removed. I'm still going to be rushing to level the character I want for the expansion. I will take anything Bioware has to offer to get the characters I want where I want them in lieu of character transfers.

Sorry OP... You are looking for a response, not me. It is not a detriment to the game IMO, and hardly worth mentioning in the long list of issues that need attention.

Perhaps a more pertinent question would be why do you care? This is not a snide retort, but a genuine question. Their leveling does not infringe on your gaming experience. Fresh 50s are not detrimental to the game, in fact they are necessary. And... most players looking to power level now know the game and the mechanics. Getting to 50 is no longer a learning process.

It is detrimental to the game, though not to the point that some people complain about it. Essentially, it will take people out of the 1-50 leveling game in the long term if left as is. Less people leveling increases WZ times, FP times and just takes away from the atmosphere of planets. These are things that right now I don't particularly care about, due to being sick of the planetary grind, though there are times when I simply like to go back to basics and level a new character normally.

Of course, it is arguable as to whether or not this is a detriment, or if the cons outweigh the pros. If this method is left unaddressed for too long, though, it won't be good for the game as a whole.

Personally, I enjoyed getting a few levels on my Sniper with the method, which was otherwise going to lie dormant until I got a couple other alts to 50, so I'm not exactly against it. I do however recognise the long-term detriments of this quick level grind.

If it is going to be changed, that change should be retroactively applied to any and all who used this exploit, and any levels gained by use of said exploit be lost.

I'm not advocating that it be changed, only that if it is changed due to having been found to be an exploit, it should be retroactive.

Edited by Ratajack

What is the long term detriment you are speaking of. I see none. In fact, the very reason they are doing it is to allow everyone to get as many mains and alts ready for the new expansion as is possible (as they've stated).

I did a few levels with this. Did more doing fps, space missions, class missions. its faster, but not as fast as some are saying. As you may know, everything gets Exaggerated on these message boards.

If it is going to be changed, that change should be retroactively applied to any and all who used this exploit, and any levels gained by use of said exploit be lost.

I'm not advocating that it be changed, only that if it is changed due to having been found to be an exploit, it should be retroactive.

Its not an exploit, chief. You are not being power leveled as everyone is boosted once they get there, just as they are in PvP zones. You are not being carried, but earning your experience by killing mobs with a group at a spawn point.

Heck, back in Everquest, this was how you leveled. You found a spot, camped it, pulled group after group. We used to shout, "camp check" when first entering places like lower Guk to see if there was a spot open. This is what leveling was in MMOs at one time. LOL

It is detrimental to the game, though not to the point that some people complain about it. Essentially, it will take people out of the 1-50 leveling game in the long term if left as is. Less people leveling increases WZ times, FP times and just takes away from the atmosphere of planets. These are things that right now I don't particularly care about, due to being sick of the planetary grind, though there are times when I simply like to go back to basics and level a new character normally.

Of course, it is arguable as to whether or not this is a detriment, or if the cons outweigh the pros. If this method is left unaddressed for too long, though, it won't be good for the game as a whole.

Fair enough. Thanks for the reply. I didn't think about the que times in general but to be honest I have yet to see an impact and I run end game content fairly regularly. Perhaps its because, relatively speaking, many are capping alts as opposed to fresh new player 50s? Either way, I don't see a huge impact. However, the fact that it is limited to a few weekends over all seems to negate a long term detriment. But I will grant that only time will tell.

Its not an exploit, chief. You are not being power leveled as everyone is boosted once they get there, just as they are in PvP zones. You are not being carried, but earning your experience by killing mobs with a group at a spawn point.

Heck, back in Everquest, this was how you leveled. You found a spot, camped it, pulled group after group. We used to shout, "camp check" when first entering places like lower Guk to see if there was a spot open. This is what leveling was in MMOs at one time. LOL

Never did I say it was an exploit. Perhaps I should have phrased it a little differently, though, to avoid confusion. If the devs decide that it was an exploit and they decide to change it, then the change should be retroactively applied.