Can we get a response on the Ilum Boosting please?

Keffeine

Never did I say it was an exploit. Perhaps I should have phrased it a little differently, though, to avoid confusion. If the devs decide that it was an exploit and they decide to change it, then the change should be retroactively applied.

Whenever an unintended strategy is discovered for a boss in an operation and people use it to their advantage, do the devs go back and take everyone's loot away after fixing it?

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry OP... You are looking for a response, not me. It is not a detriment to the game IMO, .

Oh it is if it's exploiting which many think it is because it hurts the integrity of the game just the same as many think it's cool. Imo it is exploiting because I highly doubt BW ever intended for people to do this. However they can only stay silent for so long with another weekend coming up and everyone wanting to know which is it yes or no and if it is then what are they going to do about the people who did it.

Whenever an unintended strategy is discovered for a boss in an operation and people use it to their advantage, do the devs go back and take everyone's loot away after fixing it?

It is my understanding that the devs usually ban the accounts of those found to be exploiting in such a situation. The same thing happened to more than one guild in that other game when they were found to be exploiting a bug or "unintended strategy".

If I had used the Ilum power leveling and that power leveling is determined to have been an exploit by the devs, I would much prefer to lose the levels I gained by using the Ilum exploit to having my account banned and losing my other 50's.

Oh it is if it's exploiting which many think it is because it hurts the integrity of the game just the same as many think it's cool. Imo it is exploiting because I highly doubt BW ever intended for people to do this. However they can only stay silent for so long with another weekend coming up and everyone wanting to know which is it yes or no and if it is then what are they going to do about the people who did it.

That's not an exploit. Even if this could be construed as a bug (which is HIGHLY doubtful), an exploit generally requires that the person doing it know full well that it's an action the designers don't want you to engage in, because either the designers have said it outright or there is no way no rational person could construe it as OK. Using a bot, for instance. Jumping through a wall to get to the end of a FP is another.

What's going on isn't even close to either of these examples.

Edited by thebvp

That's not an exploit. Even if this could be construed as a bug (which is HIGHLY doubtful), an exploit generally requires that the person doing it know full well that it's an action the designers don't want you to engage in, because either the designers have said it outright or there is no way no rational person could construe it as OK. Using a bot, for instance. Jumping through a wall to get to the end of a FP is another.

What's going on isn't even close to either of these examples.

It could be argued that no rational person would construe that going to a level 50 zone as a level 1 and killing level 50 champion mobs as a level 1 was OK.

As the title suggests, I think we're all waiting for a response on the practice of grinding from 1X - 50 on Ilum by killing the same Heroic mobs over and over again. It's hardly a heroic experience, and there are many differing opinions on it, which I'd rather not get into here.

Personally, I enjoyed getting a few levels on my Sniper with the method, which was otherwise going to lie dormant until I got a couple other alts to 50, so I'm not exactly against it. I do however recognise the long-term detriments of this quick level grind.

I say let everyone who's already done it keep their levels, but patch it up so that only level 45+ will get bolstered on Ilum.

u r a selfish ppl, u done it, now u want others cant do it.

It is my understanding that the devs usually ban the accounts of those found to be exploiting in such a situation. The same thing happened to more than one guild in that other game when they were found to be exploiting a bug or "unintended strategy".

If I had used the Ilum power leveling and that power leveling is determined to have been an exploit by the devs, I would much prefer to lose the levels I gained by using the Ilum exploit to having my account banned and losing my other 50's.

Do you really think BW is going to reverse the labor of hundreds, if not thousands, of (mostly) cash-paying accounts over a 48 hour period or outright ban them?

It could be argued that no rational person would construe that going to a level 50 zone as a level 1 and killing level 50 champion mobs as a level 1 was OK.

How is it NOT ok? It's not like there isn't a bolster mechanic in effect, right? And that wouldn't be there if they didn't want you to visit the place and kill stuff, right?

It's an exploit because it was not intended. Sub 45 cannot take the quest so they need a higher level to activate it.

You must constantly add new 45+ to the group or have 45+ reset quest. Reset quest was not intended to endlessly spawn mobs - it was for fixing quests when they get bugged. There are few if any other areas in the game where you can spawn endless mobs.

You level considerably faster than all other mobs of leveling (outside of perhaps level 50 babysitting). For the sake of hyperbole if you were able to go from 1-50 by killing 5 waves of the elites I think we can all agree that is an exploit. This was faster than average enough to be an exploit.

You also block people from legitimately trying to do the purpose of the quest (gree rep + gray helix components) all the while not actually completing the quest (or even being eligible for the quest).

Sub level 16ish are not even supposed to be able to get to ilum.

Doing this does not grant any gear or companion or advance story line.

Many reasons why it is an exploit.

tl;dr / cliffs:

By the way definition of exploit is just doing something that the developers did not intend for an advantage. It does not mean cheating. Now the devs may continue to allow it, but in no way was it intended.

Here is one thing that bothers me...if this is indeed looked down on by the Dev team, and if they end up handing out restrictions to your account do to this (Not saying they will, just saying *if* being the key word here) and they have yet to come in here and let us know their stand on it, I feel like that would be pretty much a set up to fail. I'm sure many people who took part in the Power Leveling would not have done so if they knew the Devs frowned on it.

What I am trying to say here, in not so many words, a Dev response here could quite possibly be crucial. I for one would like to properly inform my guild mates if this is something that could get my guild mates banded.

Here is one thing that bothers me...if this is indeed looked down on by the Dev team, and if they end up handing out restrictions to your account do to this (Not saying they will, just saying *if* being the key word here) and they have yet to come in here and let us know their stand on it, I feel like that would be pretty much a set up to fail. I'm sure many people who took part in the Power Leveling would not have done so if they knew the Devs frowned on it.

What I am trying to say here, in not so many words, a Dev response here could quite possibly be crucial. I for one would like to properly inform my guild mates if this is something that could get my guild mates banded.

I doubt they will punish people for doing this. Worst case scenario roll back experience but no way would they do temp bans.

But yes even as an anti I would like them to issue an opinion on this for better or worse.

Because it's not good for the game.

Even without rhe 2xXP weekends, it's already way too easy to level in this game and there's really too many people that reach 50 without understanding how to play PvE in a group or do warzones. The more you simplifie leveling, the less people understand their class, their role and how to behave in a group.

Oh please, most of the people that were doing this already have multiple 50s and just need a quick 50 for the buffs/crafting or a raid/wz group needs a backup healer/tank.

And simplify leveling really? 50+ hours to get a level 50 and that's if you work fast. For some of us who have rerolled onto new servers 2 or 3 times due to population and had to start over from scratch and have multiple level 50s, the thought of doing another 50+ hours just to get to the end-game content makes me want to vomit.

Oh please, most of the people that were doing this already have multiple 50s and just need a quick 50 for the buffs/crafting or a raid/wz group needs a backup healer/tank.

And simplify leveling really? 50+ hours to get a level 50 and that's if you work fast. For some of us who have rerolled onto new servers 2 or 3 times due to population and had to start over from scratch and have multiple level 50s, the thought of doing another 50+ hours just to get to the end-game content makes me want to vomit.

So it's OK to use a possible exploit if you already have multiple 50's, or just don't feel like leveling as the devs intended-primarily through questing? Thank you for that clarification.

I, too, would like to see something from the devs indicating whether this is indeed an exploit or if it is working as intended. It would be nice to see some clarification before this weekend, if only so that those who choose to use this possible exploit in the future cannot claim that they were never told it was an exploit.

That said, I do not need to see something from the devs to know that this Ilum farming is a possible exploit and could possibly lead to actions against my account. In my opinion, the vast majority of those who used this possible exploit this weekend know that it is possibly an exploit, which is why so many are attempting to defend it so vehemently and even threatening to quit if action is taken against them.

If I know something is a possible exploit, I'm not going to do it and risk losing my account, no matter how many people are doing it. That's just common sense to me. My advice is to not use this possible exploit until we get an official statement from EA/BW as to whether or not it is an exploit.

I'm not waiting for a response on this.

I think it's a cheesy and incredibly dull way to level so I didn't do it, however I couldn't care less if other people did.

Nothing wrong with that, I did not take part in any of the leveling in ilum, I have a few 50's ready for Makeb already, that is the choice we have do or do not..:) I don't care if others do it, it's thier time, everyone plays the way they want to, as long as they are not cheating or hacking or causing me problems, I could care less what others do..:)

So... we can disagree on the particulars. I don't think it is an exploit, you do, etc. etc.

I think some of you are missing the broader point. IMO what BW wants is more 50s as a lead in to Makeb. More of an incentive if you will to level to 55. And... they are certainly getting that in spades. So... why would they need to respond to that?

Edited by Rafaman

so far the only downside is undergeared players qing for pve and pvp content wich screws the game up abit, there are to many at 1s , 1 undergeared player in a fp no problem 3 undergeared pain in the *** same for pvp 1 np 7 your sure to loose.

I dont care how ppl lvl its just the numbers of fresh hitted 50s is a bit overwelming some times

The 2x EXP are intended to get as many players to level 50 as possible. I don't think they would care how do you get to 50. The players who used this "trick" got to 50, which was what Bioware intended with this event, AND used boosts from the Cartel Market, it's a win-win for Bioware. I dont know where you guys see the problem here, you're just trying to get some players in trouble because you think that boosting the way to 50 is wrong. If players pay the monthly fee let them level as they want to! Edited by Vrilha

Anyone who choses to get a character in SWTOR to 50 without experiencing its class story is missing out on the best part of the game.

I think the idea with XP boosts is brilliant for those who've seen all the other planet quests several times already and want to focus on quests that are unique to the new class they are levelling.

If somebody still wants to grind levels on Illum instead, he's either regrettably bored stiff with the game or totally focused on end game and probably a capable player who will not ruin other end gamer's experience when grouping.

So nothing to complain about here other than disregard for the creative efforts of class story designers.

Come to think of it, that's actually not "nothing"... ;-)

I've been watching this, its amazing there are still people who think that their right is to dictate how others should play a game.

Anyway, I didn't go to Ilum this last weekend but I will seriously be considering it this weekend and I will take the lack of any change or dev comment as silent agreement that this 'loophole' is going to be ignored.

To those who are conflating 'power-levelling' with missing out on the story, well, why? No reason someone who has power-levelled or boosted to 50 cant or wont enjoy their story.

Devs need to accept that the game world is not entertaining 2nd, 3rd, 4th ... nth time around, for a lot of the side quests its not even that entertaining 1st time around!

Personally i do quite a bit of leveling in PVP and Space missions, I always out level my story content and go back and do it without all the hassle of gearing and such and just enjoy the story more . So just let people do as they well it shouldn't bother you at the end of the day.

I think the idea with XP boosts is brilliant for those who've seen all the other planet quests several times already and want to focus on quests that are unique to the new class they are levelling.

Exactly. My case every time when i already had one 50 on each side. Just doing WZs and some FPs to level up and enjoy class missions. Everything else is boring pain :)

Edited by RixoFutu