Rome-fu's Resolve Guide

Felnadir

One question though. If I pop "Hold the Line" (which gives me an 8 second immunity to roots, snares, stuns, knockdowns and the kitchen sink) and someone throws CC at me, does my resolve bar fill up? or does it only fill if the CC actually hits?

No, your cc bar does not fill up

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Resolve, Crowd Control (CC) and You

So when the resolve bar fills up, one can still snare the player even to the point of zero movement. Furthermore, snaring a player does not increase his resolve bar. So use snares as often as needed without any worry. For those warriors with the ability to cause a 100% snare, remember that it will ALWAYS cause this effect. There is no immunity against it.

This in my opinion is the biggest issue atm for Jedi Knights(at least guardians). The inability to gain immunity to snares, combined with the fact that the Jedi Guardian has ZERO baseline non-channeled stuns is IMO the cause of many of it's issues. Sure you can still **** noobs that backpeddle and don't know how to play, but every now and again I face a good BH or a good IA and then I recognize where the JG is seriously lacking. The fact that somewhere around 40% of the Empire players seem to be playing Sith Sorcs with their snare lightning ******** doesn't help either.

There are few things as frustrating as walking slowly towards a target while it whittles away at your health bar and you can't do **** about it.

HOWEVER, resolve does not affect snares. So when the resolve bar fills up, one can still snare the player even to the point of zero movement. Furthermore, snaring a player does not increase his resolve bar.

This is why the resolve system is basically useless.

Even with a full "resolve" bar I'm still getting snared and stunned. This system is still pretty fail since via your guide it's only useful if you time the right combination of abilities.

They should have just gone with the DAOC anti-chain CC method and called it a day. It worked there for several years and every game since without a similar system is filled with complaints about the CC system.

It's not a good system.

With 2x4 second stuns you can be CC locked and killed by 2 people on voice comms incredibly easily, and given the CC abilities reset before your breaks I think it needs looked at.

I've also noticed that once the Resolve bar fills, it will also drain if you are not CC'd again? If that's the case (and it seems to be) then you can be CC'd twice and gain no meaningful benefit from enduring both if you can, as your resolve will fade again so quickly you can be CC'd again.

Not useless to melee. As a JKG you can easily spam your ae snare and NOT let them gain distance.

The problem doesn't come into effect until they are just out of reach and force leap is on cool down. So for every snare, I return the favor and in fact I have started opening with it watching people try to break it :)

Awesome post, its just so sad that the "We want DR" and "NERF CC" players won't read it and will keep their complaining going. Plus don't tell people about the mez thing, I love watching people using their CC break on Mind Trap know that I can stun them freely for the next 1m45s.

I can understand players frustrations at particular CC's as tbqh for how long duration they are, they could do with breaking on damage, quite annoying getting caught with everything on CD to get CC'ed to death, which with the nature of the PvP it's quite common to have used your CD's and be back in the fight with no backup and no resolve.

The problem is that the immunity doesn't always work. I consistantly get stunned or cryo froze while having a full white resolve bar.

This really pisses me off in a warzone.

Further I think a stun should full fill your bar. You can easily die in the course of 2 stuns. Once you get stunned you should have immunity to further stuns for at least 20s.

I have died way too many times by getting back to back stunned.

Yeah, this is very beginner info. It's good for them to read though. Unfortunately this post doesn't really enlighten as much as the poster claims on Resolve. Until we're a few more weeks out from launch or see some patches, it's going to be hard to determine if Resolve is working correctly for everyone. Regardless, I think having Stuns that grant various levels of Resolve could be flawed. It also makes certain class combos better than others. Maybe this is another reason the Warzones are 85% Inquisitor/Consulars.

-Two minutes is too long on a CC break.

-All abilities should refresh after death. (I've seen this happen and seen it not happen, so I don't know if it's bugged or depends on game type.)

-CCs ARE a huge part of PvP and an MMO in general. But SWTOR is just overboard on them atm. It is frustrating when there are as many CCs as there are but only 1-2 CC breaks with a LONG cooldown.

I'm going to have to directly disagree. The resolve system seems currently borked. It's a nice theory but it doesn't work. Lets run through a few things.

1. It simply is not reliable.

I've had people shrug off CC with no resolve and I've been CC with full resolve. In fact my Vanguard did his job and tanked and ate cc, but once was locked down for 30-45 seconds straight. I was out literally the entire fight. In this time I BARELY got to perform perhaps 3 actions even with a CC breaker use at full resolve. I lived through great healing and I did my job tanking....but it was nothing but frustrating for me.

That is plainly not supposed to happen under the currently intended system so obviously SOMETHING is broke.

2. Most people die within 2 stacked stuns.

Get stunned twice in a row and your CC breaker is down? Congrats your dead. Yes I know this works for both sides but it's not fun nor fair for the CC'd player.

3. CC breaker CD is 2 minutes, stuns are 1 minute.

Oh sweet you did everything right but the fight lasts longer than 60 seconds, too bad your still chain CC/killed. Yes I know this works for both sides but it's not fun nor fair for the CC'd player.

4. It's more advantageous for some characters than others.

When you wait till mid fight to pop a CC as half of the classes you can get a significant advantage. If they break free you just mezz with these classes and then heal up. Suddenly they are STILL helpless facing a now full hp foe ready to womp them.

5. By the time you need it your dead or half dead and guaranteed to lose.

You speak of gaming the system to get an advantage VS CC being used upon. HOWEVER the fact is that it's far easier to game the system as the CC user due to lesser CD's, kbs, and snares/roots not being affected.

Edited by CommandoPower

I'd say nice write up, but it's too bad the resolve system doesn't work. I've been chain cc'd for 20+ seconds (the rare times i live that long) and it works up to a full resolve bar and it doesn't do **** to stop me from being cc'd. Yes i mean stuns, not snares or roots, 20 seconds of being STUNNED.

So yes there needs to be a better system or actually make the current one work right.

Edited by Rawrifficus

Interesting write up. I still think the resolve system is broken...it takes to long for the resolve bar to fill to the point it feels like people have no resolve. I myself have be chained stunned to death to the point where i cease even using my break free anymore. Cause once i'm out I'm stunned again regardless.

I don't actually recall ever being full resolve, in my opinion if I can be CC'd to that extent without some sort of immunity - the system is broken.

On the flip side, I have never had my stun resisted so once again I don't even look at resolve anymore because currently it's pointless. It's not skill to use the resolve system, it's who can chain stun the longest wins a fight.

Thats my 2 cents.

Thanks.