Rome-fu's Resolve Guide

Felnadir

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not the stuns so much as the roots and snares that I take issue with. Many are from talented abilities that people are using anyway. Couple that with no resolve on movement abilities and it's a problem.

My Full Auto will snare for instance, so it's not like I need to make a skillful conscious decision to snare my opponent. I was going to Full Auto him anyway when it procs. It makes it too faceroll and you're always movement impaired. Makes the game feel like you're playing in syrup.

Yes I can and do cleanse them but I'm blowing a gcd and then getting re-snared as part of a normal damage attack.

Resolve really needs to affect roots or immobilizers.

Sheer ******** that I'm being leaped on by 3-4 warriors in a roll over a flame jet, absolutely nothing I can do with a full resolve bar, meanwhile that drains while I'm being immobilized, leading to more stuns.

Annoying DR system, REVAMP IT.

You can get stunned with a full white bar, it happened about 10 times to me just this evening. That's probably a bug or latency issue between the server and the client however.

Also, sadly, resolve will be on cooldown almost 90% of the time in warzones.

Even if it isn't, there are that many snares that have no effect on it that you'll be slogging slowly toward your enemy anyhow. There are even some stuns that don't count toward it.

The first post is an awesome wall of text in order to help less experienced players. I appreciated that but i do not agree that system is fine. For a pvp game, no stun should allow you to receive damage and still be in stun. The most terrible thing what is happening over and over again is you are stunned, you get toons of damage and dead. my defensive ability with 2min cooldown doesnt make difference in most cases. So while im wathing my character doing nothing then receiving damage.. i can read some books, talk with wife, whatever.. is pretty much BAD SYSTEM FOR PVP..

Guild Wars 2 is comming - my hopes will be there.

This is a fundamental design flaw when you have a primarily PvE game that then has PvP put on top of it. No, this doesn't mean PvP is an "afterthought" (nobody designing an MMO today would ignore PvP until the last minute) but the core decisions made on the PvE side don't generally consider how that will impact PvP.

I generally consider two types of CC:

1) Player can't do anything -- Stuns, mez, fear, whatever. Player may as well leave the keyboard for its duration. No, a "trinket" is not a fix for this. It makes it less painful but you still have the situation where the trinket is on CD and then ... player goes to make a sandwich. Game design is about fun. Sitting in front of the keyboard with zero choice is not fun.

2) Player can do ... something, even if it isn't much -- Roots, snares, knockbacks. They are annoying, sure, but even if you were rooted in WAR everyone had at least one ability that was essentially "poke my target at range." And it COULD kill someone if they were low health and using their KB to try to save themselves and get off a heal.

As someone who agrees with you 100% about this, I have learned that there is no real point in complaining about it because there is exactly 0 chance that it will change. Blizzard is not going to remove Fear from WoW and BioWare is not going to remove Stun from swtor. When I heard the Mythic guys from WAR were moved to work on PvP in this game, I got super excited that maybe it would be different here, but no. I do think they have done a good job bringing some excellent ideas from WAR (guards, taunts, knockbacks) into this game, but this isn't going to be the PvP We've Waited For (though I have high hopes for GW2 like you ... thanks to the lack of sub fees over there, I can happily enjoy both games).

Given that we are stuck with Type 1 CC in this game Forever, I do think the Resolve system, if functional, is a much better way of dealing with it than a base immunity or diminishing return. It lets the designers tweak different abilities individually by adjusting resolve levels, and they should be able to make adjustments to balance more easily. It is also, and importantly, an interesting mechanic if it works.

wait ***, i've been playing this game for weeks and I've yet to see a 'resolve' bar anywhere... now i'm confused... D:

edit: lol alright I see it now, can't believe I didn't know what it was... sad

Edited by Esaru

wait ***, i've been playing this game for weeks and I've yet to see a 'resolve' bar anywhere... now i'm confused... D:

edit: lol alright I see it now, can't believe I didn't know what it was... sad

You probably dont know its a resolve bar, before PvP the only time I noticed it appear was on Corellia when I had to explode the item next to myself to be hurled at the datacron, I landed hard and my resolve bar was near full.

If you want to see where it would appear turn it on to always show the resolve bar in the settings, then you will know what your lookin for.

Honestly, this entire community is filled with the same QQ'ing/flaming/trolling/whining/spammers/ignorant people that filled up WoW, HoN, LoL, and any other blizzard game. ( hon and lol are not blizzard games, I know.) Most threads are just a bunch of QQ that contribute NOTHING to the game.

I'm glad BW doesn't respond to QQ'ers and I hope they never post on threads like this because you can NEVER please everyone. Ignore them. Ignore them well. Even post a thread that says, WE ARE DOING IT OUR WAY. YOU DONT LIKE IT, ****.

I would rather play with a 50,000 non-flaming, non-trolling, non-whining community then play with 13 million DIPSHTTS.

LEAVE. GET OUT!!!!

GET OUT NOW!!!!!

As a Sith Assassin I feel resolve is a slap in the face. I dont have many abilities which grant me damage mitigation. It's quite frustrating. Resolve is a nifty system but i would much rather deal with diminishing returns. Since every class has a stun, snare, knockback it makes warzones (in particularly huttball) a nightmare. The only time I ever take note of resolve is when I am running the ball over the fire pits.

I view my class role in warzones to be interference. I do it very well most of the time except when there is a clusterfuuu on the ramps in huttball. Makes doing my job impossible.

The resolve system is a gimmick system. I personally think its lackluster. I'm glad some one with high life totals has found a way to make use of the resolve system. I grin and bear it. But I will never approve of it.

Edited by RevenanceSLC

Resolve is just that, a lack lusting waste of space! I've been guarded by tank as a healer Seer and out lived most players while trying to keep people alive and I can say with near 100% accuracy thats it's a broken tool or blunt at best!

If you get chain CCed in this game and you survive, pretty much 100% resolve straight away. It still takes 2-4 seconds for the server or whatever activates resolve for it to kick in.

Diminishing returns is really what this game could do with at the moment! Personally CC should be removed from use in PVP all together if you want a perfect world.

Resolve doesn't function properly. I was force choked, rooted, knocked back, stunned, and then force choked again and I never went immune. Had about 85% of my darkened (not activated) resolve bar.

Also, in general, knockbacks should give more resolve. In WAR, knockbacks would give 20 seconds of root/kb immunity. They need to take a hint. In SWTOR, the KBs give like 4 pixels of immunity. Like 10%. That's ********. They should give 40-60%.

Stuns should give 51%.

Resolve should activate when it hits 100%, not after it hits 100% and then you are CC'd again. Also, resolve should not calculate when CC expires. It should calculate when the CC is applied, even if it overlaps. The active resolve meter should have a 30s duration, now whatever piss-short duration it has now.

Aka, the resolve system is broken.

But we all know this already.

Edited by EasymodeX

Not sure why this thread is still a sticky as it's completely inaccurate. The resolve system does not work at all, no matter how much people try to explain it, or link to videos. It was an interesting idea in theory, but it does not work in practice. Anyone who actually does PVP knows it doesn't work. I doubt it's ever worked - I suspect "resolve" is nothing more than a graphic bar with no purpose!

Bioware, please introduce a proper DR system - the amount of CC at the moment is completely ridiculous when a player only has one "get out of stun" ability every 2-3 minutes. Being stun-locked from 100% to zero health, or for however long a healer can keep you alive is no fun at all.