Rome-fu's Resolve Guide

Felnadir

One thing to point out. Marauders dont get stuns of any type.

We only have one CC (for pvp) it's a mezz on top of that - also it's only after we hit 42.

I went down the line of Ataru Form and I can use Deadly Throw to totally immobilize and Crippling Slash to keep them slowed once dealy throw releases them. Not to mention the temporary stun of force charge, and the mezz/stun + channeled damage of force choke. Then there is obfuscate which isn't a CC at all, but it can be irritating as hell. Yeah, my marauder can make life really irritating for people. It is especially fun to time it juuuust right and watch as some inquis or consular try to speed away with Force Speed. Again, I haven't experimented with the other trees, but the one for Ataru Form gives me plenty of tools.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If multiple targets are attacking me and are just chain slowing me there is a HUGE problem. Movement impairing effects need to be effected by resolve or have a DR. Plain and simple. I don't know how many times my resolve bar is full and I either get slowed or snared. Its annoying and I don't like it.

This guide is full of errors and bad advice for PVPErs. Some of the more general points in pvp are valid but also learned thru trial and error early on.

to the OP. You should answer the questions that people posted here. I would like to see what you have to say about that.

My best advice to anyone learning about PVP is to write down your experience on paper and analyze what you did wrong and fix it with what you have on hand. Trial and error in pvp is not overcomed= by reading general information but by actively producing an idea and executing it correctly in-game.

Again, to the OP respond to the questions posted above.

Resolve really needs to affect roots or immobilizers.

Sheer ******** that I'm being leaped on by 3-4 warriors in a roll over a flame jet, absolutely nothing I can do with a full resolve bar, meanwhile that drains while I'm being immobilized, leading to more stuns.

Annoying DR system, REVAMP IT.

I play jedi guardian and i can t root with my leap someone with a resolve bar ... i don t know if it s intended or not but that s the way it is ...

Every person in swtor should read this post cause im sick of people complaining about cc in this game.

Well this post isn t a "mind blowing revelation" . If you did at least 10-20 warzones you would already understand all about resolve . The problem is that it s still crap .

Resolve favors tanks ... that s crappy . Any dps or non tank will die before having filled the resolve bar or at least get to 20% . "Hey my resolve bar is full i can use my cc breacker ... oh wait i m already at 20% hp ... do i really need to waste my cc breacker just to die 3 sec later ?"

The op is funny ... anticipating the cc and using your damage mitigation ? Sure my opponents usually send me e-mails saying "we are gonna burst you down at 11:23AM get ready" . In a duel or a very small scale encounter i dont say ... of course you can anticipate the cc but in a 6v6 situation like there is always at the start of a civil war battleground there is no way you can anticipate you are gonna get focused .

When I say "Resolve not working" I literally mean just that...

Multiple occasions of FULL resolve bar and still getting stunned. It's a bug, I know...But an annoying one nonetheless.

I don't mean I think the system is "Broken" as in bad or unbalanced (Which some would argue it is) but rather, "Broken" as in...Not working.

This doesn't always happen, or at least not as far as I've noticed. But it does happen. It's especially annoying in Huttball and Voidstar.

As a Juggernaut, I very rarely use my CC breaker unless it's at a critical time and I absolutely must use it. Other than that, I can generally take the beating, weather the storm, get out of CC, pop a few CD's + a heal consumable, then turn around and open up "the can" on whoever just CC'd me.

That having been said....

I fully agree with the poster above me who states this system favors tanks. As a "semi-tank" (I'm actually vengeance DPS spec, so not exactly a "Tank" per se) I can absolutely see the validity of this.

A "Squishy" class will more often than not die in CC before their resolve bar fills...Unless they're rolling with a pocket healer. Should we balance the PVP in this game around assuming someone will be getting healed? Because that doesn't sound like balance to me.

All in all, this is a good post. Some great pointers for new or inexperienced players and good insight into how the system actually works.

I applaud the OP for putting it together.

Only difference of opinion lies in that, unlike the OP, I do not believe this is a good system.

Cheers! :)

If multiple targets are attacking me and are just chain slowing me there is a HUGE problem. Movement impairing effects need to be effected by resolve or have a DR. Plain and simple. I don't know how many times my resolve bar is full and I either get slowed or snared. Its annoying and I don't like it.

No. DR on slowing effects is bad. Imagine what you'll get: SW jumps in, aoe snares and all enemies now has full resolve bar - that will play not in your favor.

Resolve system is good on the one hand, but has it flows too - it's not so versatile as DR in WoW where they can put different forms of control or even different abilities on different DR timers.

Hey ROME-FU - FU and your sorc team! :)

This is Hayduke and I enjoyed beating your team with Mohranger and Tao over the past couple of days.

Thanks for the guide.

Would explain why he put such misleading and inaccurate information up there if he really does run a sorc team.

It's not the stuns so much as the roots and snares that I take issue with. Many are from talented abilities that people are using anyway. Couple that with no resolve on movement abilities and it's a problem.

My Full Auto will snare for instance, so it's not like I need to make a skillful conscious decision to snare my opponent. I was going to Full Auto him anyway when it procs. It makes it too faceroll and you're always movement impaired. Makes the game feel like you're playing in syrup.

Yes I can and do cleanse them but I'm blowing a gcd and then getting re-snared as part of a normal damage attack.

My dirty fighting spec'd smugs does plenty of damage but I have to say, movement imparing abilities is many times more important than that. For instance you can flat out win a game of void star for your team with dodge (if they start to focus you when your incoming)>>>>flash grenade>>>>wait/CC breaker depending on if they use their's and immediately CC you>>>>shrap bomb with 30% snare, tend blast for any not caught by that.

Keep em shrapped (with snare talent), stunned, mezzed, snared via tendon blast, etc as long as you can stay alive. Your friends will absolutely destroy the enemies that no longer have half their teams support and will hold them past the front doors at the bridges for quite awhile. If on the other sides it's a near guaranteed score if you can slow down like 3-6 people significantly.

Similar delaying tactics work wonders on alderran and sometimes even huttball. They can't very well ignore you or you WILL kill them all or make them engage in battle at half hp or less.

My dirty tricks smugs pulled this the other day on voidstar.

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k81/Randell44/SWTOR/?action=view&current=Screenshot_2012-01-05_23_16_51_947553.jpg

A signifigant amount due to the DOT/Snare/Death/respawn/re-engage still snared enemies. Not to metnion that, damage and kills aside, my CC and that of 1-2 other people completely stopped the enemy teams mobility. That allowed us an unopposed run through of the attacking side once we wiped the defenders and got past the first door (ironically it's better to CC them than kill them so they cannot respawn/defend :p):

We had 2 50's with a few pieces of champion gear (like 3 each), they had a few 50's appearing the same.

EDIT: Btw that smugs is only level 29 atm.

Edited by CommandoPower

I'm still confused about one thing: Is resolve activated automatically, or do you have to press a button to use it? I've just started pvping and am noticing that even after the CC that filled my resolve drops, I am able to be stunned and snared, yet this doesn't seem to happen when I use my stuns and snares against others who have a full bar of resolve. Is there something I'm missing?

Look resolve doesn't fix the problem with CC.

It resets on death.

which means if you are stun locked killed, you are no longer immune to stunlock.

So of what value is it?

Great if you can survive the stunlocks, absolutely worthless if you cannot.

Fix the number and availability of CC in the game, don't rely on a rubbish mechanic that doesn't even work.

Edited by Dravinian

+1 resolve doesn't work. Yesterday I was on huttball. I held a ball for a minute under opposite ramp, while whole other team attacked me. Two healers held me, 3 times I charged/interceded up and each time I was pulled back. Only at 4th time I was able to score, and I am sure, that was only because all enemy pull abilities was on CD.

Please tell me why a Marauder can jump to me and snare me for two seconds when my resolve bar is completely white. Resolve is broken. Not completely, but there are things that resolve should negate that it does not, the latter included. I've never been stunned or had my placement affected while my resolve was in effect but I have had secondary snares catch me.

This is unacceptable.

I have literally NEVER seen my resolve work. Never fu**ing ever. I get it filled up, then I get stunned, knocked down, griped, lifted, knocked back, whatever, name your poison. I'm valor rank 40 now and through 40 levels of pvp I've never seen this shi**y system work once. I've seen it work on enemies though, mostly tanks. It screwed up so bad, that operatives have absolutely no problem kicking me in the nuts right after I get up after their opener, which immediately fills my resolve bar to full.

Sure, we can talk about how it should work, what's hard and what's soft CC, but it will only matter after Biotards finally make it work the way it should.

Regards,

Kalantris

This guide should be unstickied and left to rott at the bottom of the thread pile as it pertains to absolutely nothing in pvp in this mmo.

Or the devs might fix resolve so if your bar is full of white then you cant get CC'd (preferred)

This is a fantastic post. Thank you. I'm lvl 37, on my first toon, and I consistently score quite well for level in pvp but today found myself asking in party just what Resolve is because frankly I didn't know. Sad thing is someone answered my question in party chat but I didn't even understand that their answer related to my question.

This clears it up very well. Thank you.

This guide is fantastic, like I have said many times, if the resolve bar actually worked, but it's not, it's broken, the entire resolve system is broken and actually favors specific class. This guide needs to be unsticky for now until resolve is fixed, imho.

This guide is fantastic, like I have said many times, if the resolve bar actually worked, but it's not, it's broken, the entire resolve system is broken and actually favors specific class. This guide needs to be unsticky for now until resolve is fixed, imho.

Yep, no point in messing peoples' minds.

Regards,

Kalantris