Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

Oh goodie, Bioware: Austin masking inherent homophobia behind a paywall by making it so that all new companions are on the Cartel Market. What an innovation.

Little wonder they haven't given us any new information on SGRA's, if this is the path they're taking.

More like BW sticking to their plan of going through the CM and making most content behind a paywall.

I think it's less likely homophobia as you seem to constantly think, and more about just wanting more money. Every thing they've done is about getting the most money possible.

The real question is, would making a SGR only companions get them enough money? Treek at least is an ewok, maybe not a favorite to some posters, but it's likely a novelty item to many.

SGR Companions? While I still believe they'll happen, you have to ask, do you think they'll make as much money as Treek? Do you think a m/m companion will sell as well as f/f companion? Do you think if the f/f sold well and the m/m didn't, they should keep making f/f companions and ignore m/m? What if it was reversed and f/f didn't sell well, but m/m did?

I think we all know if m/m didn't sell well, and they saw it as a loss, but f/f as a win, and kept making more f/f to bring in money, but stopped with m/m because they just weren't selling, would you go "OMG! Homophobia!" or realize that some things just don't sell well?

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point it's rather clear that there's no plan whatsoever. The fact that an Ewok, an Ewok, was developed before SGR companion pretty much says it all.

The Ewok was probably really easy to design - take the Jawa skeleton, put on a different skin, do some writing, do a few voiced lines in the ewok lingo (wouldn't need too much, as like all alien speech those lines will be reused/repeated), and bam... done. I have a feeling that Treek's story isn't going to be all that complicated.

SGRA companions would take considerably more time to implement. For one thing, all LIs currently in the game speak Basic, and I think it would be quite difficult to connect to one that didn't.

SGRA companions would take considerably more time to implement. For one thing, all LIs currently in the game speak Basic, and I think it would be quite difficult to connect to one that didn't.

Unless they have B/SGRA companions use something like polari in all the conversation lines with same-gendered characters... :/

Well Polari is back, so why not?

:p

It'd just be the same line over and over again, something about a bold basket, omi topi wanna wanga. I somehow doubt that any current companions would know polari, but a relatively gruff Imperial from the home worlds who drops it into their speech.

Mmm, tall, broad shoulders, smattering of body hair, silk stockings...

OMG that was exactly what I wanted to post earlier today :D

<3

Welcome to Polaris, the planet of Gay, a unique race in that they are every humanoid species in the galaxy and all speak Polari, which can be perfectly understood by speakers of Basic, but still requires subtitles for viewers.

Tune in, for all new episodes of Adventures on Polaris! Coming this SOON™!

Welcome to Polaris, the planet of Gay, a unique race in that they are every humanoid species in the galaxy and all speak Polari, which can be perfectly understood by speakers of Basic, but still requires subtitles for viewers.

Tune in, for all new episodes of Adventures on Polaris! Coming this SOON™!

Ok, I feel like I should know what Polari is... but it's eluding me.

Ok, I feel like I should know what Polari is... but it's eluding me.

It's an old gay slang language. I know it most famously for - I think it was a radio drama? - a programme that had a pair of gay men that would talk utter filth, but spoke using polari so they got past the censors :p

It's an old gay slang language. I know it most famously for - I think it was a radio drama? - a programme that had a pair of gay men that would talk utter filth, but spoke using polari so they got past the censors :p

Yup, as old as Shakespeare at least. It's thought to have its existence thanks to Italian actors, writers and musicians mixing with local English lads. Though that is under debate, some linguists think it was the sailors who brought it in.

I am a happily married Heterosexual male, however! I played almost every other MMO (Including WoW, Ultima, and such) as a female character. My original standpoint was if I am going to stare at a characters behind for hours, it might as be a female! However, the Romance option games that do not include SGR, have made my playing as a female impossible, for the fact that I would feel like I am missing out.

The best think I can think of, is a new companion that is across all accounts, if you don't want to spend the money on the voice acting to keep it available for all and off the CM, make the creature not speak basic! (I admit the the words I love you can add a lot of emotion to a character and not hearing them may be a disappointment, but this is a temporary fix add options to the ones already created after)

Personally i'm still quite hopeful. One thing that I've noticed when messing with the Legacy system is that you can actually set a female to marry a female and since bioware have mentioned that they're thinking of including companions into the legacy tree, then that tells me that they havn't forgotten about us and are merely needing to juggle new content to keep the game alive with promised content.

To be honest, I'd be happy/surprised if we heard literally anything on this subject by Christmas.

I can't really comment on the Legacy Tree and its same-gender marriages, but the thing seems rather hastily slapped together. They probably intended for it to discriminate* originally, but then put it together in under a week, which is also why it's a really basic line and not an actual tree capable of any meaningful connections or depth.

Sorry I just find the Legacy Tree really disappointing.

It seems that story content just is not a priority at the moment and my recent contact with Ms. Woods just further implies that future companion content, whether it be new companions or additional conversations to existing companions, will be added to the Cartel Market. (Yes, she did state "case by case basis", but it's pretty obvious what that means given the current state of the game and Bioware's dependence on the Cartel Market.)

*and by that I mean, recognize and have gender ticks, like the gendered armour pieces do

Not sure if this has been posted, but for the Czerka Corporate Labs Flashpoint quest (The one you can pick up on the Fleet) it gives a female character the opportunity to flirt with a feamle NPC. Once the Flashpoints and quest have been completed, you can once again flirt with the NPC, which eventually leads to them 'relaxing' in her shuttle. I thought that was a nice little addition. Not sure if the same thing happens if you're character is male though . . . Edited by Cyberwoman

Not sure if this has been posted, but for the Czerka Corporate Labs Flashpoint quest (The one you can pick up on the Fleet) it gives a female character the opportunity to flirt with a feamle NPC. Once the Flashpoints and quest have been completed, you can once again flirt with the NPC, which eventually leads to them 'relaxing' in her shuttle. I thought that was a nice little addition. Not sure if the same thing happens if you're character is male though . . .

It's also only for Imps. But yeah.

Ugh, Star Wars is getting so gay.......

Come on guys, this is Star Wars. Leave it alone, its fine the way it is.

There are three* non-companion NPCs who respond to flirts from same gender characters, and that counts as "so gay" that you want us to leave it alone because it is fine?

(* The number three will change with the implementation of the Bounty Hunter event, by the way.)

I don't think asking for same gender romance (with companion characters) is too much, especially since you can always choose not to engage in them. It isn't as if anyone's going to hold a lightsaber to your neck and force you to click the flirt, is it?

Well at least they have a homosexual option now- even if it's a small one. *sigh*

I just wish that for the 792 points you pay for total character redesigns that they'd add a SRS option already.

(Yes I'm aware of the heterosexual voice-acted companion romances that only need to be deactivated for this to happen.)

Edited by Takatsuki

There are three* non-companion NPCs who respond to flirts from same gender characters, and that counts as "so gay" that you want us to leave it alone because it is fine?

(* The number three will change with the implementation of the Bounty Hunter event, by the way.)

I don't think asking for same gender romance (with companion characters) is too much, especially since you can always choose not to engage in them. It isn't as if anyone's going to hold a lightsaber to your neck and force you to click the flirt, is it?

Not to mention it was promised pre-launch and then when it was being pushed to launch they had said it would be a post launch freature that would be introduced "soon". Seems a lot of people think we're starting up a fuss over nothing and not the fact Bioware hasn't delivered what it's promised.

Just to let yall know the bounty contract contacts can be reset and reproduce a new npc each time u do them. which is cool and normally not be relevant to this thread except... certain npcs that give the quest are sgr-able. I just flirt with a male twilek on Voss. thank you bioware :D