Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm doing the BBA quests now and have encountered a lady-flirt with my rather gay male Agent, but I do have it on rather good authority that the BBA on Imperial fleet employs male dancers for their drinks tables.

There are sgfs for both genders in the BBA quests, I came across a female contact this morning who was amenable to some flirting from Jan'neria. (SGFs = Same Gender Flirts.)

Only trouble I encountered was actually getting the information out of the shady characters - people were piled up on top of each other just waiting for spawns! Badly designed. (At least I thought it was badly designed until I found more spawns outside... but still annoying.)

Edited by Zandilar

Question: do you think there's any hope of SGR being implemented as content from level one?

Dimming, fading, dying hope.

I am still hoping as I have 3 toons that are on indefinite hold until SGR is included with companions. A couple others I would LIKE to have involved in them but I play them regardless at this point.

Dimming, fading, dying hope.

I am still hoping as I have 3 toons that are on indefinite hold until SGR is included with companions. A couple others I would LIKE to have involved in them but I play them regardless at this point.

Right. Next choice: if Austin's Cro-Magnon team can't do it, find some way to mod the existing companions to be SGR options. And if that's impossible, the lesson of the Sith Inqusitor: lightning. Find a weak point somewhere and apply lightning liberally.

[snip]...And if that's impossible, the lesson of the Sith Inqusitor: lightning. Find a weak point somewhere and apply lightning liberally.

If only TOR had been an M-rated game, this could make for a rather kinky and hot sex scene, regardless of same/opposite gender romances.

If only TOR had been an M-rated game, this could make for a rather kinky and hot sex scene, regardless of same/opposite gender romances.

If TOR's romances hadn't been designed by utter cretins, many things would have been possible. Sadly, KOTOR is both dated and pointless, now that we know that Revan's crazy and the Exile was fridged.

That said. What influence could be best applied to convince Austin to stop halfassing this?

Edited by Xilizhra

Question: do you think there's any hope of SGR being implemented as content from level one?

hahaha

no

Right. Next choice: if Austin's Cro-Magnon team can't do it, find some way to mod the existing companions to be SGR options. And if that's impossible,

It's impossible.

I'm optimistic about it as they have been brining in new SGRA choices such as with Makeb and the Bounty Hunter Week. I believe they will bring it in, it's just a matter of time as they have so many things to sort out, including bugs and content to keep old and new player's interested.

I think it's great that they've reduced a few of the ftp restrictions like sprint and for warzones, but the ftp model is still rarther overly restrictive. Eitherway, I have hope and they have been adding SGR NPCs to show that they do care and are working on it.

I wouldn't say it's impossible for them to redesign old companions, but highly unlikely. I think I could see them adding a new companion that you can unlock for lower levels instead, like HK or Treek.

I dunno, I think they may have the templates of the companions offline to do the redesign and it isn't so much of a change. Just a little bit of new dialog and maybe change a word or two in the mail, but beyond that not too much else. Also the idea of just adding new companions is a bit of a copout compared to what they promised us pre-launch. Not to mention it means the companions we fell in love with we can't romance unless we go back, make another character of a different gender to then continue the romance, which is a lot of wasted gametime to backtrack and do that.

Frankly, at this point I'd be surprised if we got any new story content that isn't "generic £15 companion with mediocre conversations".

It's really, really disappointing, but it seems Bioware have dropped their story content almost entirely. Yeah, Mr. Hickman said that they were "working" on having SGRAs with companions, but that is was "really hard" - fairly obvious now that was all bollocks to make us shut up and stop bothering them.

They did give us a "Thanks for buying Makeb - maybe next time..." comment back before Easter, and then the New New Team pulled a Rockjaw on us. We can't even get a thread reset anymore... I guess the Lucys at BW got tired of yanking away the football? Edited by Palar

I'm optimistic about it as they have been brining in new SGRA choices such as with Makeb and the Bounty Hunter Week. I believe they will bring it in, it's just a matter of time as they have so many things to sort out, including bugs and content to keep old and new player's interested.

I think it's great that they've reduced a few of the ftp restrictions like sprint and for warzones, but the ftp model is still rarther overly restrictive. Eitherway, I have hope and they have been adding SGR NPCs to show that they do care and are working on it.

Why do you think they've given no timetable on the matter? Or any sort of more specific promise?

Why do you think they've given no timetable on the matter? Or any sort of more specific promise?

Personally? It's been said that writing has a long lead time and it does need to be also be made with the VAs and cinematic puppetry, however here's my take:

- They still don't know if they're doing new or current companions for SGRAs, so can't talk on that ground

- They don't know whether they're doing full arcs, like OGRAs already have, or are going to stick us with more mini-romances like Makeb

- They need to figure out if Straight Male Gamer will like lesbian romances as much as the male-female stuff they have already, so they need to know who to put at the top of the pile and who at the bottom (re: current male/female OGR/A split)

- They're hung up on the character's sexuality, rather than their personality, and are getting bogged down in tired and possibly offensive tropes and stereotypes

- They're working on making Cartel Gay Packs that will turn your companions bisexual for you and they're still wondering how much to charge (arm for male companions, leg for female, arm and leg for both)

Optimism:

- They're going to release it all with an expansion that adds additional class story content and some pre-55 stuff, as well as some RP support

- They're actually making it for free and will release it in a patch before Christmas as a present and then will announce the above expansion, that will have more companions in who are bi/gay/lesbian/straight

- Everyone's a winner (except homophobes, but they suck anyway)

Personally? It's been said that writing has a long lead time and it does need to be also be made with the VAs and cinematic puppetry, however here's my take:

- They still don't know if they're doing new or current companions for SGRAs, so can't talk on that ground

- They don't know whether they're doing full arcs, like OGRAs already have, or are going to stick us with more mini-romances like Makeb

- They need to figure out if Straight Male Gamer will like lesbian romances as much as the male-female stuff they have already, so they need to know who to put at the top of the pile and who at the bottom (re: current male/female OGR/A split)

- They're hung up on the character's sexuality, rather than their personality, and are getting bogged down in tired and possibly offensive tropes and stereotypes

- They're working on making Cartel Gay Packs that will turn your companions bisexual for you and they're still wondering how much to charge (arm for male companions, leg for female, arm and leg for both)

Optimism:

- They're going to release it all with an expansion that adds additional class story content and some pre-55 stuff, as well as some RP support

- They're actually making it for free and will release it in a patch before Christmas as a present and then will announce the above expansion, that will have more companions in who are bi/gay/lesbian/straight

- Everyone's a winner (except homophobes, but they suck anyway)

Either way... the rest of the game looked good enough that I wound up buying a timecard, but since I don't play straight characters, that may have been a mistake. I hope the rest can hold up, even if I might be utterly wasting my time leveling if something does start earlier than the endgame.

Either way... the rest of the game looked good enough that I wound up buying a timecard, but since I don't play straight characters, that may have been a mistake. I hope the rest can hold up, even if I might be utterly wasting my time leveling if something does start earlier than the endgame.

Well, you don't have to play as straight but your gay characters won't be getting any one night stands for some time (lvl 50-55 depending on your faction/gender).

Well, you don't have to play as straight but your gay characters won't be getting any one night stands for some time (lvl 50-55 depending on your faction/gender).

You get a one night stand with Lemda? I didn't get one with Cytharat.

(Also, yeah, sorry Xilizhra, the Bioware name on the box is lies - this studio has a really backwards approach to the SGR content.)

Edited by Tatile

There's a quest for the Czerka stuff? Everyone told me there wasn't. Where I find?

It starts with a droid on the south end of the GTN section (Speaking of the Empire side). That will lead you to Ziost, then the daily area, and you complete the quest when you do the two flashpoints. If you completed the flashpoints already, I think the quest will just autocomplete without doing them.

Edited by chuixupu

I can't a frequency out here in the middle of nowhere! Wait... I'm on Alderaan. She's ignoring my calls!

Whereas with Lord Cytharat...

Oh, he's still in the hospital? Can you say-... no, no it's ok. Thanks. *sigh*

*raid Kaliyo's secret stash*

You get a one night stand with Lemda? I didn't get one with Cytharat.

(Also, yeah, sorry Xilizhra, the Bioware name on the box is lies - this studio has a really backwards approach to the SGR content.)

This is why I'm referring to the perpetrators of this game as Austin.

So, hm. There are two possibilities: one, they're genuinely trying to do something and are just not being terribly competent at implementing it. Or two: they're just ignoring it. Outright bigotry seems unlikely, because it would have been way easier to not implement any romances at all to avoid including any gay content whatsoever and receive no scrutiny'; hence, it's more likely to be being put off for financial reasons. And if that's the case, then what we need to do is make it clear that their continuing to fall down on the SGR issue is a financial threat to them and would lead to more subscription losses than they should be comfortable with.

Perhaps some kind of boycott is in order.

The only problem I see with this is homophobes. Are they afraid of loosing a MAJORITY of their players because of it? But then again, the don't ask don't tell applies, I mean who's to know if the dude in your group is gay or not now and honestly who would care? You're in another universe. But this is just my view. I'm sure they're scared of loosing players, but I'm sure they'll gain them too.