Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

Well that's just... sucky.

What's the point of earmarking a character to be gay if they only get to have one romance? All of my other characters are straight (my agent has two husbands and had a lovely make out session with Saganu on Hoth) but my poor little Sorc will only get one fling and that's it? Disappointing. At least it's with an awesome character though.

Thanks for the quick answer ^^

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lord Cytharat is the only gay man in the entire galaxy (at the moment) according to Bioware.

If you rolled Republic, tough luck, you're straight.

Actually. Lord Cytharat is the only gay and flirtable male NPC in the whole galaxy. Amazes me how many people seem to forget their character can be gay. Nothing stops any player from saying their character is gay.

As to what's the point of earmarking a male character gay, if there's no gay male NPC, because, that's how you envision your character.

Many in the forum often forget that, for various reasons I'm sure. If you're going to go with the line of thinking Tatile has, then one has to figure every character that is romancable, gets around. Yeah, that Mako, she's with another Bounty Hunter right now. Quinn? You think you were the first Sith Warrior he betrayed? He's betrayed them all.

It's an MMO people, use your imagination! People already do this (read: fanfiction) you can too!

Not that it wouldn't be nice to see more options, but seriously, if you were going to play it by the book, you wouldn't have hit esc and done it over and over till it played out just right (which I'm sure most in the forum have done). :p

Seriously wondering how some people deal with running the same content over and over, when they can't use their imagination.

It's an MMO people, use your imagination! People already do this (read: fanfiction) you can too!

I just would like to reiterate my support for this line of thinking. Mostly because I'm engaged in writing that janx right now.

;)

Edited by Euphrosyne

I just would like to reiterate my support for this line of thinking. Mostly because I'm engaged in writing that janx right now.

;)

Fanfiction exists as one's interpretation and reaction to the text; while in some ways it might be preferable to or even better than the original text, it is not the same.

No one at Bioware reads the fanfiction anyway, and very few people who play the game know of its existence, let alone that of these forums or how to find anything. That being said, I can think of maybe three works of fiction on these forums (though I've been inactive a while) which contain same-gender relationships and one of those isn't even based on an in-game class and does not use any existing companions or NPCs. Also, to say that anyone who wants to experience in-game SGRAs on the same basis as existing OGRAs, should in fact stop asking and just "write it themselves" is a wholly dismissive attitude, ignoring the fact that not everyone is capable of writing to a standard they wish to read nor capable wholly of writing, due to a myriad of factors, and comes with the unsaid addition of "because you're the only one interested".

To tell people to write or read fanfiction as a real substitute to Bioware being engaged in this topic tells Bioware that they do not need to talk with us about the content or produce it, because anyone who wants the content would be "making it for themselves". I should say it encourages Bioware to think of their players as lazy and stupid.

;)

Your story is awesome! *bounces* Fanfiction rules, you can do things that would probably never happen in game! Sadly there does seem to be a distinct lack of femslash around (I don't know about the state of m/m stuff).

Some of you might also recall me musing about writing over my mid-year break. That never really happened until the last few days before I went back. I have two little more than drabbles to show for that, which I might post at some point. I am planning to write a third and am reluctant to post the other two without finishing that one. They're LS!F!Chiss!Defector!Trooper/Elara Dorne. (To translate, my female Light Side Trooper is a Chiss Imperial Defector who came to the Republic while she was still fairly young (young enough to have developed/perfected a Republic accent). I haven't completely worked out her background yet, but she's actually Jan'neria's (twin) sister.)

ETA: Just wanted to say I pretty much agree with everything Tatile had to say. Fanfiction is a supplement, not a substitute, so to speak.

Edited by Zandilar

Fanfiction exists as one's interpretation and reaction to the text; while in some ways it might be preferable to or even better than the original text, it is not the same.

No one at Bioware reads the fanfiction anyway, and very few people who play the game know of its existence, let alone that of these forums or how to find anything. That being said, I can think of maybe three works of fiction on these forums (though I've been inactive a while) which contain same-gender relationships and one of those isn't even based on an in-game class and does not use any existing companions or NPCs. Also, to say that anyone who wants to experience in-game SGRAs on the same basis as existing OGRAs, should in fact stop asking and just "write it themselves" is a wholly dismissive attitude, ignoring the fact that not everyone is capable of writing to a standard they wish to read nor capable wholly of writing, due to a myriad of factors, and comes with the unsaid addition of "because you're the only one interested".

To tell people to write or read fanfiction as a real substitute to Bioware being engaged in this topic tells Bioware that they do not need to talk with us about the content or produce it, because anyone who wants the content would be "making it for themselves". I should say it encourages Bioware to think of their players as lazy and stupid.

This is true, and I didn't mean to come across that way. My point is less about prescriptivism - telling other people and BioWare what they should do to get their SGR(A) fix - and more about my personal response to the problem. Also, shameless plugging.

I certainly don't want people to stop being concerned about seeing this content in game. I'd like to see it myself.

This is true, and I didn't mean to come across that way. My point is less about prescriptivism - telling other people and BioWare what they should do to get their SGR(A) fix - and more about my personal response to the problem. Also, shameless plugging.

I certainly don't want people to stop being concerned about seeing this content in game. I'd like to see it myself.

I'm sorry if it seems I'm attacking you in that post, I've been having a weird time with my emotions this week and I every time I deliberately try to be polite so as not to make someone feel bad it just comes across as passive-aggressive. Or aggressive.

It's just I'm so fed up about the fact that we're still waiting for any bit of news.

Lord Cytharat is the only gay man in the entire galaxy (at the moment) according to Bioware.

If you rolled Republic, tough luck, you're straight.

Not really. My male Trooper is gay, despite the fact he hasn't flirted with anyone. He simply hasn't found the right guy yet! (He did fall for Jonas Balkar, but he was straight so they are just good friends . . .). Most of my other characters are bisexual, except for my female Bounty Hunter, who is more asexual. She get a thrill out of killing, nothing more really.

It dose seem odd though that Lord Cytharat is the one flirtable gay male in the game. I would have expected them to at least but one guy for the Rep, given how they did add flirt options for two female characters on the Imp side as well. Perhaps they though lesbian same-sex flirting would be more 'accepted' by the player base (I certainly dont remember seeing as much hatred in general chat on the Rep side as I did on the Imps when players discovered Cytharat's orientation.) It would be a such a shame if true though.

Anyway, quick question and I am sorry if it has been said elsewhere in this thread. I just read that the Bounty Hunter event apparently has same-sex romance in it, but the article (Torwars) didn't hold much knowledge about it. Is it true? Would be great if it is! :i_angel:

Not really. My male Trooper is gay, despite the fact he hasn't flirted with anyone. He simply hasn't found the right guy yet! (He did fall for Jonas Balkar, but he was straight so they are just good friends . . .). Most of my other characters are bisexual, except for my female Bounty Hunter, who is more asexual. She get a thrill out of killing, nothing more really.

It dose seem odd though that Lord Cytharat is the one flirtable gay male in the game. I would have expected them to at least but one guy for the Rep, given how they did add flirt options for two female characters on the Imp side as well. Perhaps they though lesbian same-sex flirting would be more 'accepted' by the player base (I certainly dont remember seeing as much hatred in general chat on the Rep side as I did on the Imps when players discovered Cytharat's orientation.) It would be a such a shame if true though.

Anyway, quick question and I am sorry if it has been said elsewhere in this thread. I just read that the Bounty Hunter event apparently has same-sex romance in it, but the article (Torwars) didn't hold much knowledge about it. Is it true? Would be great if it is! :i_angel:

Finished the storyline twice, first time with a female BH, second with a male BH and don't remember ever having that option.

EDIT:

Nevermind. Need more coffee. ;)

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Ah, I meant the Bounty monthly event (Always call it the Bounty Hunter event for some reason . . .) Sorry for the confusion! :i_embarrassed:

np and yes someone posted a vid they made as a recording off the test server where there was a same-gender flirt and the guy said outloud to himself if it were a bug or not. Most likly not as They're trying to ease in more SGR stuff, even if it is only flirts for the moment.

I have a question about that. Are those two female Imp NPC flirtable with both genders? (Crosses fingers and hopes for at least one of them being a "no" answer.)

I had Jan'neria flirt with them recently, and both of them kind of brush it off. Mind you, I haven't finished either the macrobinoculars or the seeker droid quest series yet though (getting to 55 when starting Makeb at 50 is really really really annoying), so I don't know if there's more than just the initial flirts.

I have a question about that. Are those two female Imp NPC flirtable with both genders? (Crosses fingers and hopes for at least one of them being a "no" answer.)

Males can flirt with both. There are no f/f exclusive flirts in the game.

I had Jan'neria flirt with them recently, and both of them kind of brush it off. Mind you, I haven't finished either the macrobinoculars or the seeker droid quest series yet though (getting to 55 when starting Makeb at 50 is really really really annoying), so I don't know if there's more than just the initial flirts.

I did finish the seeker droid quest and

you can ask the Sith woman out for dinner and she's basically like, "sorry, too busy".

Edited by stuffystuffs

Males can flirt with both. There are no f/f exclusive flirts in the game.

Ugh.

I am disappointed but not surprised.

On the one hand we get "bisexual" visibility (yay), on the other hand we get the tired old thing where all women must be attracted to men (BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!).

I did finish the seeker droid quest and

you can ask the Sith woman out for dinner and she's basically like, "sorry, too busy".

Brush offs absolutely should exist. However, that doesn't help lesbian Imperials any. (Poor Jan'neria, I guess you're just destined to be celibate and voluntarily aromantic.)

Ugh.

On the one hand we get "bisexual" visibility (yay), on the other hand we get the tired old thing where all women must be attracted to men (BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!).

To make matters worse, male Imperial players have an exclusive m/f flirt (with Katha Niar though it goes nowhere).

BTW, I do know all this b/c my first Makeb pt was with my female Agent while teaming up with my friend's male Sith Warrior. He informed me of all the flirts available to him. Funny enough, I saw the Makeb m/m romance before the f/f one as my friend romanced Cytherat that first pt.

As far as Imperial females ever getting SGRAs (or SGRs whatever, I still don't know the difference) it seems like the next event will have some more 'flirts' similar to the seeker droid quests...I guess that's all we are going to get :rolleyes:

Is it just me, or has the movement towards having SGRAs in SWTOR lost steam?

Flirts in Makeb were a nice start, to be sure, but they ARE only a small beginning. I’d like the developers to tell us their plans… for example, when are they targeting to have fully-fledged SGRAs for both males and females?

Time to let them know that just because we’ve been quiet doesn’t mean that we’re not still expecting them to come through!

Never said, don't ask. What I said was, Lord Cythant isn't the only gay male in all of the SW galaxy.

As far as Imperial females ever getting SGRAs (or SGRs whatever, I still don't know the difference) it seems like the next event will have some more 'flirts' similar to the seeker droid quests...I guess that's all we are going to get :rolleyes:

The only realistic option left is HK-like companions that will include SGR as a bonus. They will never modify existing companions (way too much reworking and trouble) nor add new companions to each class.

Which is why it's puzzling me why would they prioritize an Ewok over gay/lesbian companion. I'm 100% sure Treek is not a pre-launch idea that had to be finished first before they could think of other new companions. HK was like that, but Treek is clearly post-launch creation.

Edited by Pietrastor

The only realistic option left is HK-like companions that will include SGR as a bonus. They will never modify existing companions (way too much reworking and trouble) nor add new companions to each class.

Which is why it's puzzling me why would they prioritize an Ewok over gay/lesbian companion. I'm 100% sure Treek is not a pre-launch idea that had to be finished first before they could think of other new companions. HK was like that, but Treek is clearly post-launch creation.

Well, ask yourself, how many people are asking for it on the forums? How many may want the option, but really don't care either way? How many don't want it?

Treek already seems popular, and the few who don't want Treek seem to be outshadowed by those who are excited at having Treek.

While I'm sure at some point they'll make it an option (probably a SGR gungan) all they really have to do is go the route of assured revenue. Treek is more likely to get people paying extra versus a SGR companion, who'd likely be "just another human companion"

Well, ask yourself, how many people are asking for it on the forums? How many may want the option, but really don't care either way? How many don't want it?

Treek already seems popular, and the few who don't want Treek seem to be outshadowed by those who are excited at having Treek.

While I'm sure at some point they'll make it an option (probably a SGR gungan) all they really have to do is go the route of assured revenue. Treek is more likely to get people paying extra versus a SGR companion, who'd likely be "just another human companion"

Treek is just ridiculous, ridiculous enough that I'm not taking it as an insult that they're putting her in first before any full fledged SGRAs. I am certainly not going to be unlocking her - there's really no point. She doesn't do anything that other companions don't do, and despite the fact that there are several non-near human companions, when was the last time you saw Bowdaar, Broonmark, Yuun, or Skadge running around regularly? Or heck, Blizz! When was the last time you saw someone seriously using Blizz as a companion?

She might be popular the week of her release, but I am not sure she'll last. HK-51 didn't. I hardly ever see him, even when I'm on Harbinger.

ObOT: SGRAs need to be implemented, even handedly across both factions and genders, and sooner rather than later.

TWhen was the last time you saw someone seriously using Blizz as a companion?

I do use him often on my BH but I do tend to use the female companions so he's an exception XD

I'm not sure if they will ever add 'SGR companions'...I'm thinking all we will ever see is the stuff like with Makeb. I mean, ideally, there would need to be one per gender/faction while with a comp like Treek it's one size fits all for all classes/factions.

Ugh.

Brush offs absolutely should exist. However, that doesn't help lesbian Imperials any. (Poor Jan'neria, I guess you're just destined to be celibate and voluntarily aromantic.)

I am male but I agree totally this video game rule of "All women are bisexual" is BS. Sure, most of the girls I know that aren't straight are bisexual, but that's just because of where I know them from that's kind of common. But, I realize that is due to the nature of the community (and, many of them are more attracted to women than men) and that actual "women only" lesbians do exist... but never ever ever in a video game, and it's lame.

Even with more and more women playing video games, the industry still is very male dominated and still gives a sort of "No Girlz!" mentality.

Even with more and more women playing video games, the industry still is very male dominated and still gives a sort of "No Girlz!" mentality.

That reminds me: not only do games with lady protagonists not get as much of a marketing budget, there's pressure to also have the female leads be single or non-romantic with anyone in the game. Why? Because publishers/marketers think that the male playerbase won't play a game if they though they didn't have a shot with the leading lady.