Server lag is inexcusable

DarthZak

Honestly yes I have noticed it but NO it is not game breaking at all.

Game breaking is a very subjective term.

Certainly big 5+ second lags 5-10 times in one Warzone is not "game breaking", but clearly it's not acceptable server performance either. :csw_yoda:

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i resubbed to get my coins for past months; and omf jesus christ... this game runs like ****.

unsubbed 20 mins later; everything is outdated; every other game i played while not in swtor beats the crap out of this game in performance. OLDER f2P games run better. i just didnt see the difference in the past, but logging from GW2 into this game was like " *** !" sadly is the only Star Wars mmo out there.

i know what you mean, my sub ends in 2 weeks and thats it.

ofc fanbois have no problems.

i resubbed to get my coins for past months; and omf jesus christ... this game runs like ****.

unsubbed 20 mins later; everything is outdated; every other game i played while not in swtor beats the crap out of this game in performance. OLDER f2P games run better. i just didnt see the difference in the past, but logging from GW2 into this game was like " *** !" sadly is the only Star Wars mmo out there.

Indeed. SWTOR is the only game giving my computer fits. The ONLY one. It's EAwares fault but, they continue to blame "us" and "our rigs" and not their "engine". I am really and sick and tired of all the posts saying that "they have no problems so there must not be a problem". There are many posting here about problems since before patch 1.4 with lag and hitching. I was effected in patch 1.4. While I have seen some improvement with patch 1.5, I still experience the problems the OP speaks of and the other "hitching" problems that others have mentioned. SWTOR will NEVER be a success unless it can run well on mid to high end machines. For me I just want the game to perform for me as it did prior to patch 1.4. I would be happy ( well from a functional perspective not a bordem perspective (really nothing to do in SWTOR after you level a toon or 2 to 50 ... so repetative and boring *yawn*)). :cool:

Edited by Urael

Indeed. SWTOR is the only game giving my computer fits. The ONLY one. It's EAwares fault but, they continue to blame "us" and "our rigs" and not their "engine". I am really and sick and tired of all the posts saying that "they have no problems so there must not be a problem". There are many posting here about problems since before patch 1.4 with lag and hitching. I was effected in patch 1.4. While I have seen some improvement with patch 1.5, I still experience the problems the OP speaks of and the other "hitching" problems that others have mentioned. SWTOR will NEVER be a success unless it can run well on mid to high end machines. For me I just want the game to perform for me as it did prior to patch 1.4. I would be happy ( well from a functional perspective not a bordem perspective (really nothing to do in SWTOR after you level a toon or 2 to 50 ... so repetative and boring *yawn*)). :cool:

You're talking about a different issue than the OP fyi.

I've experienced lag, though not server based lag on my older rig while visiting my folks over Thanksgiving, but haven't had performance issues on my XPS 8500. That being said, I play on the Bastion which is one of the lower populated servers in the US, and the US didn't hit as high numbers as Europe it appears after the F2P launch. OP, you're sure you're talking about genuine server lag? People tend to report lag of other sorts as server based quite frequently. In theory, the servers should be capped at the number of people they can serve without causing rubberbanding and such after they hit the full status and force people to wait in queues.

This game is starting to suck because of the ridiculous lag.

What makes it worse is that when you open a ticket, you get a message returned telling you to use a guide that they have come up with to help reduce the lag. So I read the guide and did everything they suggested and I am still getting insufferable lag (like every 20 mins gettin booted from the game).

It seems like everytime you complain about the lag, you are getting ignored and no response from customer service.

If they have time to write an auto-generated guide every time the word lag is used in a ticket, then you would think that Bioware and EA would fix the problem because they obviously know about it.

I think they care more about attracting new people rather than fixing the existing problem, and that is going to drive people away as there are a lot of subscribers getting to the end of their tether with this lag. (I know I am and I am seriously considering cancelling my subscription). :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

You're talking about a different issue than the OP fyi.

I've experienced lag, though not server based lag on my older rig while visiting my folks over Thanksgiving, but haven't had performance issues on my XPS 8500. That being said, I play on the Bastion which is one of the lower populated servers in the US, and the US didn't hit as high numbers as Europe it appears after the F2P launch. OP, you're sure you're talking about genuine server lag? People tend to report lag of other sorts as server based quite frequently. In theory, the servers should be capped at the number of people they can serve without causing rubberbanding and such after they hit the full status and force people to wait in queues.

When you are in a raid zone and there are around 30 instances of it... you are in the middle of a boss fight and everything locks up into a slide show and you wipe.... then you hear everyone in the other instances talking about it too... you know its on EAs end, not yours.

Sorry, but I don't experience the lag that is being reported. You can call me a liar.... but I am not. Sorry you cannot believe me.

You generally solo right? If so, you probably dont see the problems. Most of the problems happen when you are in large groups in intense paced combat.

Game breaking is a very subjective term.

Certainly big 5+ second lags 5-10 times in one Warzone is not "game breaking", but clearly it's not acceptable server performance either. :csw_yoda:

If we wipe on the tanks in EC HM because Double Destruction's castingbar and actual execution differ about 3 seconds or something similar, I call that game breaking since you cannot continue with that part of the game unless you get lucky.

OP, you're sure you're talking about genuine server lag? People tend to report lag of other sorts as server based quite frequently. In theory, the servers should be capped at the number of people they can serve without causing rubberbanding and such after they hit the full status and force people to wait in queues.

Yea 100% sure its server lag. I can tell by a few reasons

1. It wasnt there before the last server merge. After that it was there but not much and when F2P hit it got worse.

2. When raiding my raidmembers say theyre lagging out at exactly the same time. These are people from different countries so ISP problems would be very coincidental

3. It doesnt happen when Im on in the morning (which is reaaaaally early for server time since Im in the EU and go on a US server)

The theory is exactly right. They SHOULD cap it but they dont. If they kept to their caps theyd have to kick F2P players off the server until a spot is open, this would deter them from playing the game. They only cap on new people logging in and even then they dont really.

Its common practise to oversell something like server space, just like they do bandwidth and airplane seats. I dont have an issue with overselling as long as they understand that if the overselling hurts they need to change something

If we wipe on the tanks in EC HM because Double Destruction's castingbar and actual execution differ about 3 seconds or something similar, I call that game breaking since you cannot continue with that part of the game unless you get lucky.

Yea 100% sure its server lag. I can tell by a few reasons

1. It wasnt there before the last server merge. After that it was there but not much and when F2P hit it got worse.

2. When raiding my raidmembers say theyre lagging out at exactly the same time. These are people from different countries so ISP problems would be very coincidental

3. It doesnt happen when Im on in the morning (which is reaaaaally early for server time since Im in the EU and go on a US server)

The theory is exactly right. They SHOULD cap it but they dont. If they kept to their caps theyd have to kick F2P players off the server until a spot is open, this would deter them from playing the game. They only cap on new people logging in and even then they dont really.

Its common practise to oversell something like server space, just like they do bandwidth and airplane seats. I dont have an issue with overselling as long as they understand that if the overselling hurts they need to change something

Your first point about not being there before the server merges is actually irrelevant to determining whether or not it was server lag, and point three is not much to substantiate it, but your second point does mean you probably were hit with server lag. Just asking whether you were sure because server based lag is vastly over-reported in virtually every online game, and I've seen many similar threads where the claim of server lag has interfered with actually resolving the issue for that individual. Regrettably, since you're dealing with actual server lag, it'll probably be a few months before anything can/will be resolved on Bioware's end(that's just how company's tend to be when leasing servers, these contracts need to be worked out and the internal bureaucracy needs to be gone through and they need to do cost/benefit evaluation), the only other way that this'll be fixed in a very timely fashion is if the population dips a little bit over time on those full servers.

Just wanted to say that I'm getting pretty bad ability delay again like it was when the game first came out. I resubbed about a week before FTP hit, and the game was running smoothly. After 1.5 it was a little worse, but nowhere near as bad as it is now.

The past four days or so have been pretty bad during peak times. I ping is around 30ms consistently, but whenever I use a skill it takes anywhere from .5-1 second for it to register. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower. When I logged in for about an hour early this morning to play a bit before work everything was running fine again.

It really effects the flow of combat, and for me it's pretty game breaking. I went ahead and unsubbed for the time being. Just thought I would add my voice to this issue.

Just wanted to say that I'm getting pretty bad ability delay again like it was when the game first came out. I resubbed about a week before FTP hit, and the game was running smoothly. After 1.5 it was a little worse, but nowhere near as bad as it is now.

The past four days or so have been pretty bad during peak times. I ping is around 30ms consistently, but whenever I use a skill it takes anywhere from .5-1 second for it to register. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower. When I logged in for about an hour early this morning to play a bit before work everything was running fine again.

It really effects the flow of combat, and for me it's pretty game breaking. I went ahead and unsubbed for the time being. Just thought I would add my voice to this issue.

I think ability delay is an issue independent from server lag. It was when it was widespread earlier in the game's lifespan, and seems to have been reintroduced with 1.5. Some of the CS people have recommended settings changes that ended up working for some people(some not all, but possible workarounds do exist for this particular problem).

Technically there does seem to be issues (that just don't get fixed or keep coming too), like whatever is up with loading screens.

The server lag is definately new though, and seems to be down to overloaded server (as it happens when they are busy).

I personally dont think adding new server is a good idea, cause the majority F2P will just quit when new game come out. And right now i'm still confuse was the lag i've been experience 24/7 is because of my roommate downloading something 24/7 starting right when F2P begin ? or because Bioware did not expect the massive information to their server due to F2P.

Before when they game had just started, every servers were full and heavy; we got crashed, kicked out but no lag.

Technically there does seem to be issues (that just don't get fixed or keep coming too), like whatever is up with loading screens.

I was having problems starting the game earlier on too. I would launch SWTOR, login and click Play, and either nothing will happen or the loading screen will show and I'll hear music, but then the entire screen turns pink. I'll have to reboot the computer and try again until I succeed in starting the game. Odd thing was, once the game started it is very stable for me, even when I play for 10 hours a day.

The solution I've found was to configure the game to play in full screen Windowed mode. Once I've done this I no longer have issues with starting the game.

I think having multiple monitors might have caused this problem. My computer is equipped well beyond what is necessary to play the game (i7 930 CPU, 12GB RAM, nVidia GTX670 GPU and 2 Velociraptor HDD in RAID0 configuration).

The solution I've found was to configure the game to play in full screen Windowed mode. Once I've done this I no longer have issues with starting the game.

I've always played this way, and if fullscreen windowed is better than non-windowed I feel super sorry for the people that play it that way, because it's slow to load and laggy as crap this way.

This is Warzone breaking for me. The biggest thing happened today. I was playing huttball, burst ran to the goal line. I past it, and even wondered a second why there is no cheering and dancing, a moment later I found myself floating in a force choke over the fire up the ramp and died.

But there are so many smaller things, abilities not going off, or on Alderaan, using an AOE to interrupt all cappers, which I did, I knocked everyone back with my sage, 2 global cooldowns later the turret was capped even though nobody even tried.

Please just tell me you have a big team working on every aspect of the engine!

This the difference between a quality development shop like the guys over at Trion studios and the guys over at BioWare studios. If you've played as much as you say you have then you'll remember what a gigantic crap lag fest was at EARLY FREAKING ACCESS when they're trying to control the amount of people coming into the game, and then on the official launch day and for a month afterwards, until everyone found out what a buggy mess was and quit in hopes that BioWare would get their **** in gear.

Here we are a year later and they still fail at network engineering design, deployment and maintenance.

The fact that some people are not having lag proves nothing.

However, I have been in a group numerous times with other people using a voice service and we all comment on a lag spike simultaneously. I also know for a fact we are using different internet providers. This speaks volumes of where and who the problem is coming from.

This is beyond the point of debate. Clearly the people blaming it on others systems have no clue what they are talking about and should just leave the conversation.

For the first time EVER I'm happy that I'm on Jung Ma:eek:

Seriously, EA (BW doesn't exist anymore and I refuse to address it's corpse as anything other than "EA's cadaver doll") actually made Jung Ma lag less for me than Harbinger.

I'm West Coast and used to have 34 ms lag on West Coast servers. Jung Ma? 94-114 ms lag. Which is better than some of the stuff on Harbinger right now:confused:

I originally created 2 legacies merely because I switch between nocturnal and diurnal. But never actually liked Jung Ma until I got 150 ms lag on Harbinger due to having some many people in EC when Nightmare EC came out. Oh god, new rule - avoid Harbinger ops for the first 48 hours of release.

For those who say they have no lag it is not enough to say "I have no lag". What server are you on? Do you have lag in Section X or Black Hole where everyone is reporting massive ability delay?

From my own experience, lag while doing ops is low, but it is terrible in the popular daily areas. How can it be my machine when there is no lag doing a 16 man operation, but massive lag when I am in an instance all by myself in Section X?