Server lag is inexcusable

DarthZak

Before people complain about server lag they need to look at their internet connection, are you trying to connect using a dixie cup and wet string?

Games generally use between 100-300Kbps down and up to 700Kbps up. You don't need some badarse broadband connection to game online. What you do need is a connection that is free from latency and jitter. A jitter free connection that provides for low and stable latency is much more important. You can have a gigabit connection with high jitter and I can be rolling on a 1Mb DSL connection with no jitter and all other things considered equal I would win in a 1v1 in warzones easily.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/192655762.png

(local speed test)

http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/192657362.png

(TOR servers are hosted in California, if you know how to do iplook ups you too can find this information)

Pretty sure I have a FAST connection up and down to the internet, I AM THE ONLY PERSON WHO USES THIS CONNECTION (Comcast Business Class, it is NOT shared bandwidth) and I get lots of LAG on the fleet, in all the ops and select fp hm's.

Edited by Aleeha

I made a thread about how unplayable Harbinger can be during peak. You do get the wiseguys who post "I'm not getting lag" but since free to play launched peak hours are indeed unbearable now :rolleyes:

Bioware obviously figured their "Super servers" would be more than able to cope but they are wrong.

I am sick to death of spamming abilities to get them to fire off! I will wind up with Carpal tunnel syndrome at the rate im going.

Bioware fix this problem and do it sooner rather than later please. As the Op said, its inexcusable.

I have nothing against F2P players at all. I do have a problem paying $15 a month for a game i love that is now more Frustrating than enjoyable. I have closed the client in anger numerous times cursing the lag which prior to 1.4 was non existent to except obviously the fleet.

Joveth.... Please respond to our concerns???

Loyal Founder!

Before people complain about server lag they need to look at their internet connection, are you trying to connect using a dixie cup and wet string?

Umm yeah... My string dried out :eek: Thats gotta be why all of a sudden my game started lagging AFTER 1.4 :rolleyes:

Edited by SyphonLord
Wrong quote

Umm yeah... My string dried out :eek: Thats gotta be why all of a sudden my game started lagging AFTER 1.4 :rolleyes:

The problems from 1.4 are not related to server lag. People have experienced severe performance drops because of 1.4, but they are not server related.

Orrrrr, it could be something in the instance you all are in suddenly overtaxing your processors or video cards simultaneously. That's still an issue with the game, but isn't actually caused by the servers, and as a result is much easier to resolve.

My post had nothing to do with the cause of the lag other than stating that within 99.99% certainty that the problem isn't on my (or anyone in my group for that matter) end. People need to stop trying to run defense for BW's failed optimization or garbage server hardware. Not only does it look foolish and sycophantic to blame the user's connection, it lets BW off the hook and gives them cover to delay improvements.

Edited by Minack

My post had nothing to do with the cause of the lag other than stating that within 99.99% certainty that the problem isn't on my (or anyone in my group for that matter) end. People need to stop trying to run defense for BW's failed optimization or garbage server hardware. Not only does it look foolish and sycophantic to blame the user's connection, it lets BW off the hook and gives them cover to delay improvements.

Exactly. I wonder how many of the BW defenders play on The Harbinger during peak time. I have a kick *** gaming rig i built myself and runs every game on obscene high graphics settings, so take the "Its your PC or graphics card" rubbish and shove it. Since F2P the lag is horrid during "PEAK" times. I cant stand people crapping on folks for making valid threads about Lag and getting shot down like we are "Brainless Fools" who cant comprehend the requirements needed to play games online.

In a Thread i made i had stated BEFORE F2P i had NO PROBLEMS! but still got the morons coming in and posting if your lagging then it is your PC and cheap internet connection. I feel some people are to stupid to READ the posts clearly before stroking their BW loving epeens and jumping to defense of BW.

The subscribers are PAYING customers and deserve respect and a quality service and im sorry but if you feel that the state of the current server performance is satisfactory your are just plain ignorant.

The priority of the devs right now should be achieving a quality service for its players Free or Sub. It needs to be addressed before an EVE style lag backlash happens.

Spamming every damn ability to make sure it fires off so i don't die is a joke. :rolleyes:

INB4 the biodrones with the... just patiently wait, its only been 6 months of lag problems. INB4 the biodrones say.... what are you talking about... the game runs great on my 4 year old computer with dial up access. INB4 the biodrones tell you.... youre just an inpatient self entitled (insert name here)

Oh wait... I was too late.

Lol. Pretty much. It's ALWAYS the customer's fault.

I don't get kicked but my game will randomly start to lock up and everything will slow down, abilities won't queue. Game will hick up and then come back. It's rather annoying though I'm not sure it's lagg as my ping stays about the same. Might be the terrible engine doing that.

There are definitely issues that are not related to people's PC/internet connection. I suspect that the influx of players that made for rather full servers are directly responsible for this.

However, the random disconnects have stopped and there has been some improvement in the lag. I mostly notice some lag in the fleet and open areas like Alderaan and Belsavis.

What I don't think is that Anet wants to make the same mistake again in opening new servers at this stage before giving it a month or two to see how many of these players will stay. In other words will there be continued growth now or is this a peak that will settle down in a couple of months.

The game is certainly not unplayable for me. The times that lag actually affects my gameplay are very limited, but then I don't play level 50 PvP. I can imagine it being more troublesome there.

Still, I am just glad that for once the population hasn't gone down but up and that is important. And personally I am willing to put up with a bit of lag for the sake of the future of this game as I do like it. In the next couple of months though I would expect to see some changes in that and if population continues to grow then it would be wise to open up a couple of servers to manage the population. If population levels off again then we should be good as we are.

That's my 2 cents.

Not defending Bioware/EA but I've been playing since August 2011 (closed beta) and I've not ONCE experienced a crash to desktop. I've only experienced "lag" three to five times and almost always lasting only minutes. Total.

I run all content (daily level 50 pvp, Ops, FPs, questing, space, etc) daily.

I live in a rural community with standard Comcast cable internet (about an hour and a half south of DC, waaaaay in the sticks). It isn't like I am on fiber optics or some special internet. My net is shared on a router with my xbox and two other computers, often 2-3 are on MMOs at the same time.

I explain this because I simply do not experience ANY of the "game breaking" problems you guys do so it supports that it isn't FULLY Bioware's problem.

I have a modest mid-range gaming computer (I have a i7 2600 processor, 8gigs std ram, a GeForce x465 vid card, no ssd, nothing overclocked) and I load first, no lag/connectivity issues, and average 60-80+ fps on the Fleet and usually flatline at 111.1 fps on planets. With all settings to max (though I did lower, for clutter reasons, "display number of players" to "medium").

So maybe you need to look at your computers and internet providers before ranting and going berserk on the game.

Edited by JediCahlwyn

The lag has been happening since 1.3. There has been people not connecting and getting tossed for Error 9000, it is nothing new. Seriously the lag has gotten out of hand and I think BW finally gave up saying it wasn't their fault it is yours. I have heard people connect to other MMo's and have no problems and yet log in here and continuously get lag and DC's. Mine gets so severe that it will kick me from game and Vent but I will stay on internet. There is something in the connection that is sending random feedback and kicks.

Whatever they need to do, they have to get it fixed. We all thought it would be done for FTP, but that didn't happen.

They really should open up another server for f2peeps and then allow a limited number of HELPFUL subscribers to copy characters to it as Guides. I wouldn't mind spending a few hours a week on an F2p server answering questions to genuinely new people... up to the point I run into those who constantly beg instead of using resources I point them to.

Regardless, yeah.. the lag has been pretty horrible in some places, especially for those on machines not even made to handle the game. I feel for those people. I've had a few issues (especially in section X, but those aren't F2peeps.. just lots in a space) but most of my issues stemmed from 1.4 and seemed to have been corrected in 1.5... except for fleet lag. That's worse than ever.

I haven't experienced the lag you guys are speaking of, but you do have a valid point. EAWare should take the step of opening some of the old servers they closed down 5 months ago so that the population can even out a little and help cut down on the lag .

Edited by DarknessInLight

Very rarely used to get Lag before 1.5

nowadays it's rampant, i know it's not connection lag cause i rarely get over 59ms ping (i usually hang around 39ms)

but like last night was intolerable i had constant 1-5 seconds ability delay, try to interrupt a boss when your "instant" interrupt end with a cast time of 5 seconds, keep a fight flowing when your "full auto" which lasts 3 seconds last over 8 before your computer acknowledge you

yes EAware i definitely know it is my computer :mad:

Not defending Bioware/EA but I've been playing since August 2011 (closed beta) and I've not ONCE experienced a crash to desktop. I've only experienced "lag" three to five times and almost always lasting only minutes. Total.

I run all content (daily level 50 pvp, Ops, FPs, questing, space, etc) daily.

I live in a rural community with standard Comcast cable internet (about an hour and a half south of DC, waaaaay in the sticks). It isn't like I am on fiber optics or some special internet. My net is shared on a router with my xbox and two other computers, often 2-3 are on MMOs at the same time.

I explain this because I simply do not experience ANY of the "game breaking" problems you guys do so it supports that it isn't FULLY Bioware's problem.

I have a modest mid-range gaming computer (I have a i7 2600 processor, 8gigs std ram, a GeForce x465 vid card, no ssd, nothing overclocked) and I load first, no lag/connectivity issues, and average 60-80+ fps on the Fleet and usually flatline at 111.1 fps on planets. With all settings to max (though I did lower, for clutter reasons, "display number of players" to "medium").

So maybe you need to look at your computers and internet providers before ranting and going berserk on the game.

I am happy for you and your experience. I do no share it. I see lag (mostly on fleet), ability delay everywhere, and sync issues everywhere. I have been playing since open beta. These issues have cycled through good to bad but have never been gone. Early on BW (when it still existed) admited an ability delay problem and took a pass (or claimed to) at fixing it. I have an excelllent computer and top notch internet connection. Comcast checked out my service / connection both in my home and down the line. I can play WOW, Rift, Lord of the Rings, and GW2 without issue or seeing any of the problems.

I disagree with one of your points and see this as an EA issue. They are a company in business to make money. The totality of response problems have cause them to lose a TON of subs and hence a great deal of gross income. Why the responsiveness issues have not been fixed is a different question and issue and for those not in the EA house can only be the subect of speculation.

As granny use to say, where the is smoke there is fire. Considering my experience and that of many others, there is an awful lot of smoke.

The priority of the devs right now should be achieving a quality service for its players Free or Sub. It needs to be addressed before an EVE style lag backlash happens.

Spamming every damn ability to make sure it fires off so i don't die is a joke. :rolleyes:

lol

Time Dilation for SWTOR.

People aren't talking about extended lag. They are talking about latency spikes lasting only a few seconds. Like 3-10 seconds.

You can have 100ms server latency and as long as it's consistent you won't have much trouble.

What people are seeing is jitter in the server connection that causes a stable, say 55ms connection, to spike to 5000ms and then shoot back down. The server keeps playing the game, the end user sees a slow down or everything around them stop. This is different than heavy populated areas on Fleet for example that is just a drag on video hardware. It's like hitting the skip forward on your DVR. And if you are in a WZ or on a boss in Ops and skip forward at a critical point that usually results in death.

The game is playable right now. just not super enjoyable.

People aren't talking about extended lag. They are talking about latency spikes lasting only a few seconds. Like 3-10 seconds.

You can have 100ms server latency and as long as it's consistent you won't have much trouble.

What people are seeing is jitter in the server connection that causes a stable, say 55ms connection, to spike to 5000ms and then shoot back down. The server keeps playing the game, the end user sees a slow down or everything around them stop. This is different than heavy populated areas on Fleet for example that is just a drag on video hardware. It's like hitting the skip forward on your DVR. And if you are in a WZ or on a boss in Ops and skip forward at a critical point that usually results in death.

The game is playable right now. just not super enjoyable.

Yeah that's it, I'm certain its to do with server capacity as it doesn't seem to happen when servers (and the whole server network) aren't full.

I am usually very defensive about Bioware but even I must admit this server lag is reaching stupid proportions. Just today, I tried levelling a new toon imp side and had several lag spikes that made it impossible to play the actual game.

Not sure if this helps anyone, but when I first started playing no issues at all. sent my pc in for a repair then crashes every 10 -15 mins. I realized after awhile that when I sent in for a repair they reinstalled a 32 bit version of windows. I then installed windows 8 64 bit. I have had zero crashes and good fps always at 60 with vsync on. Hope some off u find this helpful but I assume most would no this anyway I am not great with computers

games engine is a pice of garbage we know it they know it

spikes have been complained about since the start and have gotten worse as they go along and to make it worse people keep leaving and new people replace them and have to start all over again

i resubbed only to have the pain of seeing the game in worse state then when i left after the F2P announcement

the game at least used to run on max setting and only stutter on fleet which was ok a stutter once every 30 mins or so was fine for me

now i have issues with 10k lat and it bouncing around all over the place ITS NOT STABLE i hear some saying its ok i hear more saying its not

befoure their stupid shadow upgrade the game ran fine

now i just sit and wait to hear when it gets better and 10k lat spikes are not ok its them why cos no other game i play does this {EVE WOW PLANET SIDE2 LOTRO STO} all run fine thats just to name a few as well :D

25 to 30 lat 100fps every where is what i used to get befoure 1.4 on max settings now the game runs like a cheep beta you tell me its not their problem its mine

love starwars but ive had enough i play a month here and there but im of to beta test ESO mabie they will get their act in order

on a side not the super secret space missions are the heroic crap they cant make the game run on planets they cant make real 3d space combat for years lol we are still waiting for guild captl ships lol hahahahahahahaha

faillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll is all this game will ever be forever know for its great story and pretty much nothing else

Edited by TheLordMagnus