Subscribers have to use cartel coins to equip purple gear?

DarthTexas

^^^^^^ THIS

it's very clearly a copy and past error

Probably, but it's not the same text as the F2P, that's why there's doubt.

If it's a mistake, how in the world does that get past the QA and go live like that?

Edited by RAVM

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Says subscribers need to purchase authorisation and F2P need to buy a license. Whatever that means.

Also going against the game design in that the F2P crafting and death parts will kill too much fun for F2Pers. Those two really feel like they're decided upon by people other than the ones who were steering SWTOR to launch.

Yeah while I intend to be subbed as long as I stay with the game, I think the limitations on F2P may be too limited if there is to be no middle-ground (a la Lotro's free/premium/sub model).

You want to hook people in, then get the cash flowing, if you make them have to eat a lot of money up front before they've decided on the game then they will in all likelihood simply move on to a different F2P game that they can get away with putting less money into overall.

I hope, hope, hope that's a copy paste error for all of us subscribing.

Even for the F2P'ers, paying real money to equip an in game item is kind of a joke. They'll have to pay to real money just to gear up.

I do have a question though, for the F2P, using cartel coins, since the hover text is pretty ambiguous:

"Revive a TOTAL of 5 times in the field, Unlock additional field revive with cartel coins."

Is this 5 time limit for the whole account? 5 times total per character, or 5 times per day? Or do you pay once to unlock a "Medcenter death pass" kinda thing. I'm kinda curious, there are many new players (also inexperienced subscribers) who bum rush SD-0 on Courscant and get floored multiple times. Sometimes it takes a few in game deaths to formulate a new strategy to finish content.

If it's not a "Death Pass", Is a micro transaction of cartel coins REQUIRED to continue playing your character after 5 deaths, or do you have to re-roll?

Probably, but it's not the same text as the F2P, that's why there's doubt.

If it's a mistake, how in the world does that get past the QA and go live like that?

I'm sorry, but that's paranoia. I'll eat my crow gladly if wrong, but there's no way that's not just an error. Text errors happen all the time. It's embarrassing, but it happens.

I hope, hope, hope that's a copy paste error for all of us subscribing.

Even for the F2P'ers, paying real money to equip an in game item is kind of a joke. They'll have to pay to real money just to gear up.

I do have a question though, for the F2P, using cartel coins, since the hover text is pretty ambiguous:

"Revive a TOTAL of 5 times in the field, Unlock additional field revive with cartel coins."

Is this 5 time limit for the whole account? 5 times total per character, or 5 times per day? Or do you pay once to unlock a "Medcenter death pass" kinda thing. I'm kinda curious, there are many new players (also inexperienced subscribers) who bum rush SD-0 on Courscant and get floored multiple times. Sometimes it takes a few in game deaths to formulate a new strategy to finish content.

If it's not a "Death Pass", Is a micro transaction of cartel coins REQUIRED to continue playing your character after 5 deaths, or do you have to re-roll?

Haha total of 5 deaths per character. That would be class story NIGHTMARE/IMPOSSIBLE mode :p

It is a an error. In the French version it is written :

"Possibilité de s’équiper de tous les objets violets obtenus, à condition qu'ils respectent les condition en jeu (niveau, classe, etc.)."

Which translates in :

"Able to equip all purple gear aquired, as long as they enforce the in-game requirements (level, class, etc.)."

Edited by Altheran

It could be that a license to equip is a one time fee, i.e. a license to equip any purple on that character at any time forever. But a permit to equip is a one time permission to equip a particular purple.

edit:

I like the French translation better.

Edited by Spibbie

It probably is a typo.

What concerns me more is

(1) What if you have purple gear as a subbed player and switch to F2P? Will you then have to a gear license in order to use it? This train of logic applies to all the other goodies you might have unlocked as a subbed player, such as cargo hold space, etc.

(2) What if as an F2P player you bought an Ops or Flashpoint pass for a week and got your purple gear/mods. Will you have to pay yet again just to equip the gear you won? Seems like you get charged twice.

(3) Is the authorization good for all purple gear you might ever obtain, or do you have to buy the license for each and every single piece of purple gear?

(4) If you buy a gear license, does it apply only to one character, or to all characters on your account? (Same goes with any other privileges you might buy from the shop).

If this is NOT a mistake, then it will most certainly be a game killer.

^What he said. If I don’t just quit, which is most likely, I will for sure unsub until the price is met. This is the wrong way to treat those people who have been supporting this game or continue to do so by monthly fee. Hopeful it just a mistake.

Even so, to limit purple gear to subscribers or a license is INSANE

That is the very definition of pay to win :rolleyes:

Not really, it's only pay to win if the game was unbeatable without purple gear, which it really isn't. You can beat it in green gear as long as it's level appropriate. As for the people asking about the death thing and flashpoints/operations, if you read what it says it refers to the medical probe. You cannot call the medical probe in a flashpoint or operation you have to leave the instance and re-enter so there is nothing to worry about. So the only time it happens is during solo questing. Since you can just go back to the medcenter and run back to where you were it's more of an inconvenience, which is why they charge you to remove that inconvenience if you are a free player. The idea of this model is yes, you can play the game from level 1-50 but you can't do it as easily as someone who is subscribed or has spent money in the cash shop.

It is a an error. In the French version it is written :

"Possibilité de s’équiper de tous les objets violets obtenus, à condition qu'ils respectent les condition en jeu (niveau, classe, etc.)."

Which translates in :

"Able to equip all purple gear acquired, as long as they meet the in-game requirements (level, class, etc.)."

^ This. It's also the same in German. The English version has a typo. It's unfortunate that the fact that both the French and German versions say the same thing (and are in accord with what one would expect for subscribers) isn't going to stop some people from suspecting that the English version is the one that is actually correct.:rolleyes:

Seems like you'll have to use these coins to be able to do a lot of things, just not equipping purples. May be just for F2P but don't doubt it if this is the way it will be.

Game seems to be going backwards at rapid speed.

I personally wonder how much those 'weekly pass' thingies actually end up costing... I can't help but keep comparing with the lotro model and the buying of quest packs or dungeons... where you make a one time only purchase...

and I get this little feeling that in TOR the weekly pass will cost as much as a one time fee would cost in lotro (where most important unlocks are account wide, where I bet TORs will be per character... lol)

yepp. I'm definitely keeping my sub running

I'm generally one to give the benefit of the doubt and am generally a positive thinker and supporter, however I agree that if this is NOT a mistake, or just a badly worded tooltip, I will be seriously p!ssed off. Don't anger your subscribers, Bioware.

Not really, it's only pay to win if the game was unbeatable without purple gear, which it really isn't. You can beat it in green gear as long as it's level appropriate. As for the people asking about the death thing and flashpoints/operations, if you read what it says it refers to the medical probe. You cannot call the medical probe in a flashpoint or operation you have to leave the instance and re-enter so there is nothing to worry about. So the only time it happens is during solo questing. Since you can just go back to the medcenter and run back to where you were it's more of an inconvenience, which is why they charge you to remove that inconvenience if you are a free player. The idea of this model is yes, you can play the game from level 1-50 but you can't do it as easily as someone who is subscribed or has spent money in the cash shop.

Letting subscribers or people who have spent money on the game, play in warzones with purple gear(which effects bolster) is pay to win, when the free to play player is unable to equip purple mods/gear.

lol imagine if a f2p player was unable to equip WH or BM gear. i know it says 'some purple gear' and i doubt it'll be this way, but that's pay to win, no?

if purple gear had zero effect on bolster, then I would agree with you. but it does effect bolster. . .so subscribers have a clear advantage.

That's bullcrap way to make your loyal subs which ate barly keeping your game alive haft to pay for content we allready got. I want to hear a bioware reply on this.

It's obviously a typo, if you'd taken the time to click the link and hover over the "equipping" icon for both subscribers AND F2Pers the DESCRIPTION that appears once hovered over is the same, yet the actual icons aren't the same. If you've ever played a F2P game or been through a F2P transition before you'd know there's nothing to worry about. Especially since the Cartel Store seems to have no P2W, imo win/win if it brings the game back to life.

Edited by OGsam