Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

Some people don't understand... that these transfers are for people currently playing on a dead server.

You re-rolled? Sorry.

You want a different TYPE of server? Sorry.

You've got multiple characters on a dead server and you'd like to move? Here's a new one.

I have a feeling that even this level of transfers is a tremendous undertaking.. but people seem to expect insta guild transfers, are upset NOW that their Fatman characters won't be able to be consolidated with their old servers characters, or OMG I want to be on a PvP server now... it's not meant to fix deliberate actions done by the player it's meant to stablize the current population.

In the future I'm sure doing some of those things may be options for a little $, but as of this moment, they're putting out a very large fire and to expect them to cater to your every transfering desire just isn't realistic.

Appologist aren't necessary there are already tons of them. The issues with the servers is not limited to the dead servers. Are they priority yes? But so should be all the other issues once half the problem is taken care of. The worst part is some people in the reroll department were TOLD by the Devs & CS moderators TO reroll. Bioware is causing the chaos.

Whats the point of the free transfers anyway when alot of people are already preparing to quit or just not return anyway because of the constant mishandling. Everyone should get a 1 shot transfer even if the Dead servers go first everyone else should go next even if its with limited choices to help maintain server stability.

But since they only promise to make us pay for their ****s up that drove people away from the game I've already revoked my money or when my account renews. I know I'm not alone in this since my last two remaining RL friends are doing the same and I've already seen plenty of other people since this post about transfers go up doing the same thing.

Edited by Kindara

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if you have characters already on the destination server, but have 8 characters on the origin server? There are only 8 slots available, so if you have say 8 chars on the origin server and 3 on the destination server, how will it be handled?

Edit: Granted, I know the chances of this are fairly slim but it's still a possibility that I'm sure some people will encounter.

Not as slim as you might think. Consider the RP-PvP servers. These populations are all likely to be combined, and it is very likely that a given active account will have more than 8 characters among the three servers.

One question I did not find answer for: is BW guaranteeing that all people from origin servers will be able to move to the same destination server? Destination server has its maximum capacity, so in theory it may happen that for example after a week of transfers it gets full, with some people (lets say the unlucky half of the guild :) still waiting to transfer. Then the real *****storm will start :) Edited by malcher

One question I did not find answer for: is BW guaranteeing that all people from origin servers will be able to move to the same destination server? Destination server has its maximum capacity, so in theory it may happen that for example after a week of transfers it gets full, with some people (lets say the unlucky half of the guild :) still waiting to transfer. Then the real *****torm will start :)

No..if the server fills up they will start sending people to a new destination.

Edited by Kindara

BAH!! It's as I have said for weeks now people. This will not help very much. I hope it does, but I don't think it will. You should just re-roll on Jedi Covenant. STILL the best decision I have ever made. I left all my characters behind and all my lagacy crap behind, but you know what? It was a good trade. I would trade it all again to be in a highly populated, vibrant server like Jedi Covenant. I have been here since day 2 of early access and I have NO lvl 50's because of dead servers. I started on one...it died. Went to another...it died. my third server is the way. Just re-roll your characters....it isn't THAT bad. plus you don't realize just how much more effiicent with everything you are the second go around.

One question I did not find answer for: is BW guaranteeing that all people from origin servers will be able to move to the same destination server? Destination server has its maximum capacity, so in theory it may happen that for example after a week of transfers it gets full, with some people (lets say the unlucky half of the guild :) still waiting to transfer. Then the real *****storm will start :)

I asked this way back on page 2.

According to both Allison and Joveth, they have no plans to change destination servers for a given origin server. If at some point they do, they will give plenty of notice.

One question I did not find answer for: is BW guaranteeing that all people from origin servers will be able to move to the same destination server? Destination server has its maximum capacity, so in theory it may happen that for example after a week of transfers it gets full, with some people (lets say the unlucky half of the guild :) still waiting to transfer. Then the real *****storm will start :)

If BW is smart they do 1-2 servers at a time. Cause then if even every character transfers to the same server most likely it will not be full, especially since over half of the people on your server are probably unsubbed anway and most servers dont have enough active accounts to overpopulate 1 server.

TBH, im crushed by this, I was desperately hoping to move my PvE server toons to a PvP server, as I have discovered I rather enjoy PvP. Now apparently this will not be an option :(

Not right now. But it will eventually be an option if you are willing to pay to transfer.

Please name them. Most MMOs who offer server transfers, whether free or paid, do very little limiting on where you can go. LOTRO is pretty open and Rift is almost wide-open.

And Rift only has 250k subs or less across 119 servers, too. Obviously not a solution for four times the population.

Please allow players to transfer their toons from dead servers to the server they already have a high level character on. In my case I have 2 separate 50's on 2 separate dead servers. I would like to move them to the server where I currently have my 3rd 50. This server has a healthy population and it would be nice to re-unite my high level toons.

Thanks

And Rift only has 250k subs or less across 119 servers, too. Obviously not a solution for four times the population.

What's the "obvious" bottleneck? Please, elucidate me on the logistical & technical problems that prevent BioWare from giving us a reasonable server transfer system that's not built on quasi-optional pseudomerges and paid transfers down the road.

My question is i see where your doing selected server transfers. Meaning theres only going to be certain servers that get the free transfers either to or from . So what about those of us o n a dead server that dosnt get in the list ?

Are we going to be stuckon dead servers untill you implement a paid transfer? Or will all servers be allowed a free transfer? . Trying find out if its worth resubing or if theres a chance my server will not get on the free transfer list.

My question is i see where your doing selected server transfers. Meaning theres only going to be certain servers that get the free transfers either to or from . So what about those of us o n a dead server that dosnt get in the list ?

Are we going to be stuckon dead servers untill you implement a paid transfer? Or will all servers be allowed a free transfer? . Trying find out if its worth resubing or if theres a chance my server will not get on the free transfer list.

I expect any server with a constant light population will be able to move.

Some people don't understand... that these transfers are for people currently playing on a dead server.

You re-rolled? Sorry.

You want a different TYPE of server? Sorry.

You've got multiple characters on a dead server and you'd like to move? Here's a new one.

I have a feeling that even this level of transfers is a tremendous undertaking.. but people seem to expect insta guild transfers, are upset NOW that their Fatman characters won't be able to be consolidated with their old servers characters, or OMG I want to be on a PvP server now... it's not meant to fix deliberate actions done by the player it's meant to stablize the current population.

In the future I'm sure doing some of those things may be options for a little $, but as of this moment, they're putting out a very large fire and to expect them to cater to your every transfering desire just isn't realistic.

+1 - Guys/gals it's step 1 in the process, not the final definition of the whole process. Breathe! Have a drink (for those of you old enough to do so). Also, you don't HAVE to transfer if you don't want to. Maybe wait and see how it goes for others before you decide.

If your server ends up being a destination server then you won't ever be given a free transfer for the obvious reason that your server's population will be filled up nicely. But if you are a fairly dead server you will almost certainly become an "origin server" within the near future. They did say that they are rolling out the servers in phases though, so if during the first wave your server isn't eligible for a transfer that doesn't mean it won't be in one of the few phases shortly thereafter. They just want to do these phases to make sure the transitions are as smooth as possible.

They really should use fresh servers for the transfer targets. That would at least put us on equal footing as far as name collisions go. Plus they could do something clever like look at which guilds got fragmented and set the members' new servers as origins for the same targets. If they restricted it so you just picked an origin server they could also avoid the case where the target already has several characters on it for the player's account. They could even restrict character creation on the targets to allow transfers to go there first.

It looks like this was suggested in the suggestion box. Sweet. I'm cautiously optimistic that BW will at least evaluate it as an option.

Edited by Eitri