Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

The point I'm making is knowing which server at launch will have a healthy population for any mmorpg is purely luck of the draw. You simply lost that draw and now you have to make a decision if your going to continue to play and accept that fact your name will need to be change or quit. It's that simple.

That's exactly my point, it doesn't have to be luck of the draw, but BW has made it so that it is. Instead of making it based on something the player has control over (higher level character wins, most hours played wins, earlier reg date wins) they've chosen the easiest for them to implement over the enjoyment of their paying customers.

And it is as simple as you say, if BW's gamble on whether my server is a target for transfers or not goes the wrong way they'll likely lose me as a customer.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PvP to PvE, (and vice versa,) transfer restrictions are B.S.

"respecting" the server types would matter if you automated the service and made it involuntary, but since we are opting into a transfer of our choosing, you can stick your respect where it doesn't shine.

There is no world pvp to speak of since the factions rarely cross mingle, making server types mostly artificial distinctions anyway.

At the very least make an exception for any players that wish to transfer characters to a server where legacy already exists. This would allow those of us who were affected by your stupidity, (too many servers,) to set things right.

(yes, i'm upset.)

Finally, you're damn right I want to consolidate my characters. I'm willing to wait, if this isn't possible at first due to throttling the service availability, but in the long run, get your poop together.

*Edited and resubmitted so as to follow the rules.

it doesn't make sense to keep running servers that only have handful of players.

I agree. But instead of closing 5 servers and throwing everyone into server 6, why not close 6 and open up a new one? Same amount of resources, with added advantage of eliminating a lot of abandoned characters. So now, instead of having 30 servers with maybe 100 active players each, and many abandoned characters eating up resources, you now have 5 server with roughly 600 players each, and everyone has a reasonable shot at getting their names. Seems pretty win-win to me, don't really see why people would be so opposed to it.

PvP to PvE, (and vice versa,) transfer restrictions are B.S.

Finally, you're damn right I want to consolidate my characters. I'm willing to wait, if this isn't possible at first due to throttling the service availability, but in the long run, get your poop together.

*Edited and resubmitted so as to follow the rules.

I am not. It is not my fault they took FOREVER to make this service available, Its not my fault all the servers died.... so why the freak am I being punished for continuing to play this danged game!? if I had quit my sub and not rerolled on another server all my chars would have been together. BUT NO... i stayed loyal, and now I have 50's on this server and that, AND NO TIMELINE on when i can bring them together. this is by far the most limited, useless server transfer there has ever been... the ONLY way they can fix this is to allow the High pop servers now, EX fatman, canderous ordo, swiftsure, ect... to transfer to ANY of the destination servers, then all the rerolls can consolidate their chars.

Edited by TheRiddick

Here is some info that I am now scared to post:

Before server transfers:

200 dead servers.

2 semi-full servers.

After server transfers:

180 completely dead servers.

20 mostly dead servers.

2 semi-full servers.

Just let us transfer to whatever *********** server we want to, for free, and yes there will be much QQ-ing about queue times to actually get into those severs, but that kind of QQ-ing is GOOD QQ-ing. Then I will stop my whining about cross-server functionality (sorry I lied earlier about never talking about cross-server again but that post got deleted so whatever).

That would be a bad idea because it would cause the result you have posted.

Once they work there way through the servers the result is more likely to look like.

160 empty servers.

40 high population servers.

2 semi-full servers.

I am not. It is not my fault they took FOREVER to make this service available, Its not my fault all the servers died.... so why the freak am I being punished for continuing to play this danged game!? if I had quit my sub and not rerolled on another server all my chars would have been together. BUT NO... i stayed loyal, and now I have 50's on this server and that, AND NO TIMELINE on when i can bring them together. this is by far the most limited, useless server transfer there has ever been... the ONLY way they can fix this is to allow the High pop servers now, EX fatman, canderous ordo, swiftsure, ect... to transfer to ANY of the destination servers, then all the rerolls can consolidate their chars.

Let me clarify: I'm willing to wait in the short term while they roll out the service..

I agree. But instead of closing 5 servers and throwing everyone into server 6, why not close 6 and open up a new one? Same amount of resources, with added advantage of eliminating a lot of abandoned characters. So now, instead of having 30 servers with maybe 100 active players each, and many abandoned characters eating up resources, you now have 5 server with roughly 600 players each, and everyone has a reasonable shot at getting their names. Seems pretty win-win to me, don't really see why people would be so opposed to it.

There are people who will quit the game if their name is lost. The number of those players who will quit due to the lose of their name will probably be constant no matter what method BW uses. Therefore, BW should implement the most efficient, quickest, and practical method to consolidate servers. What you are proposing is more work and will cost BW more money. First, what your asking for BW is to open up a new server. Adding a another server will cost BW and delay the consolidation of servers. I'm pretty sure BW owns the servers or leases them, which means BW will lose money implementing your plan.

As for the aussie servers, those were plan from launch. These new destination servers were not and will only add to the cost of BW implementing these free transfers. Thus, BW chosen method is more economical, faster, and more efficient at consolidating the servers. Is there any advantage to doing what you are proposing other than possibly some player from a transfer server keeping their names. I mean really no executive is going to approve that reason for implementing your method cause it cost more and BW is a business.

Plus, BW is going to lose some subscription no matter what method is used due to some players refusing to play unless they keep their name. From my experience said players are very very very minority and no matter the method used by BW the losses will probably be the same. Thus, there is no reason for BW to change their current method.

Edited by Knockerz

That is actually a really good idea.

There were a lot of those servers at launch. I'm pretty sure most of those servers are light as there are only like 10 or so servers that are standard or higher most of the time. Those servers that are standard or higher were probably chosen as the destination servers. It makes sense to start with the more populated servers and work your way down.

I only mention these transfers will only be successful if BW transfer people from low to higher populated servers. In wow I never seen a server help in the long run by transfers from high to low servers, which is why Blizzard has stop offering high to low pop free transfers. There is also the fact most people are willing to for a transfer to their server of choice. BW isn't in that position.

Edited by Knockerz

2 things bioware...

First off thank you this is desperately needed.

Secondly kellers void had better be an origin server(server characters are taken from), we have gone from a standard server to a dead one. If its not i wont resub. Not having any plans for a paid transfer any time soon is a bad move i don't want to get stuck on keller's void and watch it slowly die.

Here is some info that I am now scared to post:

Before server transfers:

200 dead servers.

2 semi-full servers.

After server transfers:

180 completely dead servers.

20 mostly dead servers.

2 semi-full servers.

Just let us transfer to whatever *********** server we want to, for free, and yes there will be much QQ-ing about queue times to actually get into those severs, but that kind of QQ-ing is GOOD QQ-ing. Then I will stop my whining about cross-server functionality (sorry I lied earlier about never talking about cross-server again but that post got deleted so whatever).

That will never work. Every one would transfer to fatman or the second highest populated server. In fact, the only way to do this is to control the destination servers. You probably only want free and unrestricted xfers cause you have a few characters on different servers. You can always pay to get all the characters on one server later when payed transfers become available.

Edited by Knockerz

I don't see a Dev Tracker reply to this, so apologies if it's been covered already:

Will origin and destination servers always be within the same region? (Not just talking about US/Europe/Asia, but East Coast/West Coast as well.)

There were a lot of those servers at launch. I'm pretty sure most of those servers are light as there are only like 10 or so servers that are standard or higher most of the time. Those servers that are standard or higher were probably chosen as the destination servers. It makes sense to start with the more populated servers and work your way down.

I just went and found a list of the original servers, it's not particularly long and quite a few of them are among the more populated now. It would be a nice way to reward those long-standing members and guilds who came in at the very beginning, and we have to go somewhere, might as well be there.

Ah, it's all besides the point anyway, BW will do what it wants to with the destination servers. And we'll shift because the other option is to stay on a server that is beyond dead and into the g****** stage.

That's exactly my point, it doesn't have to be luck of the draw, but BW has made it so that it is. Instead of making it based on something the player has control over (higher level character wins, most hours played wins, earlier reg date wins) they've chosen the easiest for them to implement over the enjoyment of their paying customers.

And it is as simple as you say, if BW's gamble on whether my server is a target for transfers or not goes the wrong way they'll likely lose me as a customer.

That makes absolutely no sense.

I just went and found a list of the original servers, it's not particularly long and quite a few of them are among the more populated now. It would be a nice way to reward those long-standing members and guilds who came in at the very beginning, and we have to go somewhere, might as well be there.

Ah, it's all besides the point anyway, BW will do what it wants to with the destination servers. And we'll shift because the other option is to stay on a server that is beyond dead and into the g****** stage.

If your started on a server that had guilds sign up for the early guild promotion thing, then it's original server. I know the two servers I started on were both original servers. if it really came down to it I would rather lose my name, than play on a dead server. However, I'm pretty certain my server will be a destination server and it's an original.

Yes, I agree with your idea about original servers, but I have a feeling the BW has already chosen the destination servers. I'm just annoyed that BW hasn't announce which servers will be destination servers.

Edited by Knockerz

I don't see a Dev Tracker reply to this, so apologies if it's been covered already:

Will origin and destination servers always be within the same region? (Not just talking about US/Europe/Asia, but East Coast/West Coast as well.)

I think it would be safe to assume that to ensure optimal ping and FPS.

BJ

Many guild leaders have contacted us with their concerns about coordinating their guild members in preparation for the free character transfer service and I wanted to take some time to explain how this process will work.

In order to ensure an optimal playing experience for every server, we’ll be offering direct transfers from one origin server to a pre-selected destination server. This means that the destination server will already be selected for the origin server. As mentioned in our blog post, all server types and languages will be respected. You will not find your PvE characters transferred to a PvP server, or vice versa.

Therefore, all guild members on the origin server will be eligible to transfer to the same destination server, ensuring that the guild has the opportunity to stay together.

As we mentioned in our blog, the character transfer service will be made available gradually, starting with a small number of origin servers and adding more until all servers eligible for transfer are available in the service. We know everyone is excited for the opportunity to transfer their characters, but it is critical that we do this gradually to ensure both a smooth transfer as well as a great player experience on the destination servers.

Eligible servers will be listed as they become available for transfers at http://www.swtor.com/transfer, which will go live on Tuesday. This is to prevent potential server load issues.

Please note that we will not be dividing the population of an origin server onto multiple destination servers for this free character transfer process.

Additionally, players need not worry about rushing to transfer as free character transfers between selected servers will remain available for as long as it is needed to help balance server populations naturally. Rest assured that if we ever decide to stop this free character transfer service, players will be given plenty of advanced notice.

We hope that this clarifies any confusion.

There are people who will quit the game if their name is lost. The number of those players who will quit due to the lose of their name will probably be constant no matter what method BW uses. Therefore, BW should implement the most efficient, quickest, and practical method to consolidate servers. What you are proposing is more work and will cost BW more money. First, what your asking for BW is to open up a new server. Adding a another server will cost BW and delay the consolidation of servers. I'm pretty sure BW owns the servers or leases them, which means BW will lose money implementing your plan.

As for the aussie servers, those were plan from launch. These new destination servers were not and will only add to the cost of BW implementing these free transfers. Thus, BW chosen method is more economical, faster, and more efficient at consolidating the servers. Is there any advantage to doing what you are proposing other than possibly some player from a transfer server keeping their names. I mean really no executive is going to approve that reason for implementing your method cause it cost more and BW is a business.

Plus, BW is going to lose some subscription no matter what method is used due to some players refusing to play unless they keep their name. From my experience said players are very very very minority and no matter the method used by BW the losses will probably be the same. Thus, there is no reason for BW to change their current method.

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree on them losing the same amount of players, I just don't see nearly as many people losing their names under my proposal, which in turn means less people quitting. Without knowing the inner-workings of how Bioware's servers work, it's pure speculation as to whether it would cost them a significant amount of money, or any money at all, to have 5 or 6 new servers open for a month or two, at which point they can completely shut down 30 or more. Also, this could just be the optimist in me, but given how questionable the customer service has been so far, it might just create some much needed good-will.

You're right that only a minority of people would quit over losing their names, but a lot of people will quit over being mistreated. Who do you think is more likely to quit: the person who logs in to find out that even in the 5 new servers opened up they still couldn't get a couple of their names, or the person who logs in to find they only have one choice of server transfer and they now have to rename 7 or 8 characters?

I have mixed feelings about this. I'm glad they are limiting this to certain servers, that's a great idea. What bugs me is the fact they are going to keep all 100+ servers they have currently and allow people to move between them. This really doesn't solve the issue if you are already looking at a small population across the boards. Unless these servers are filled up and then closed down. You're looking at a similar issue in the future.

So what is the point of transfers if people cant go where they want to? Ive already unsubbed and whats left of my friends playing there were wanting to come to my server i was considering re subbing if enough people came to my server. Reading this it seems like micro managing on a huge scale and defeating the purpose.

If people cant transfer to play with thier friends there going to leave those that are left that is. Enough with the micro managing just let people play with thier friends. Based on what ive read youve essentially made server transfers worthless. I hope im wrong i guess my friend will tell me.

Why you guys screw with your customers like this and mindbleep them is seriously messed up.

Yay! I am excited about this and to all the guilds that feel they are getting shafted just look at this as an oppurtunity to find out who is loyal :cool:

And what if a family emergency cropped up or they are on vacation, this is something that we should have had at least a months notice not like 6 days notice.