Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

It'd be a lovely gesture to make the Day 1 Early Access servers the destination servers.

I suspect that we'll have fewer destination servers than we had day 1 early access servers. Not to mention that if one of those early access servers had a very limited population, people could conceivably be offered a transfer to a server with a lower population than the one they're currently on, which would be a major mistake.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, what on earth can BW to to prevent this?

If you have to move to a new server than you run the risk of the name of your guild being taken.

They cant magically click a button and move your whole guild. Its up to the individual player. It wouldnt be fair if they just swooped in and stole you away to a new server because the Guild leader said they could.

No actually they do could click a button and transfer the guild as they would an individual. Not doing it is going to be Biowares demise considering that my family has a couple of accounts and playing in the same guild

Edited by opus_two

How about crediting our account time for the last month or two we couldnt play as intended. Logging on to server finding one or two others around is lame. Not to mention the economy/market is empty so can't level your gear up if you had to keep up with class missions. Why the transfer code wasn't stubbed into game build is beyond belief. That should have been automatic, The V.P. in charge of design has no prior experience? Really you should credit players for all this lost time. Write it off as learning what mmo's now a days go through. Next tme consult.

Any word on increasing the character slots per server? I want to transfer my last character to a server where I started my other characters and there's 8 of them. I don't want to delete any of them :(

*phew* *wipes forhead in relief*

I have 2,5 months left of my 6 month sub and I've been strongly considering to cancel it. My server is dead and has been dead for the longest time. Because of the lack of players, I haven't been playing for a while until last night. (Nar Shaddaa had 8 players max during the 2,5 hours that I played).

I read this today and it makes me very happy, because what I enjoy just a equally to the story is the group quests, heroics etc, etc. If this happends when it says it will happen, I will keep my sub active. It's the population on my server that keeps the game alive for me.

Thanks Bioware... Now see to that you really go through with this on the 12th... No delays!

Edited by Xarox

Any word on increasing the character slots per server? I want to transfer my last character to a server where I started my other characters and there's 8 of them. I don't want to delete any of them :(

Considering that you can't play more than one at a time whats the issue the number of character slots? Server slots should be based on the subscriber account and not the number of characters

Edited by opus_two

If you can't guarantee that our guild gets to go to the same server with ALL their chars (or as many as they could individually want), i'm calling this a MASSIVELY Mangled Online rpg. Fix that or roll over and die already!

I leveled a character to 50 on a low pop server. Then bit the bullet and rerolled on a more populated server. Not beeing able to transfer that lvl 50 to the server I now play on makes me a little sad. I don't want a new high pop server with a new community for that one character.

I'm really happy they finally introduce server transfers, but this one restriction made me a little sad. Hopefully I get lucky and the server is actually on the transfer too list, but I doubt it.

My own concerns:

1. Fatman is a refugee server and has a very high population. People shouldn't be allowed to transfer to it but let people transfer off of it PLEASE.

2. I hope all varieties of servers will be allowed to be transfered to. It would suck if the only options to transfer to are PVE servers, RP servers, or West coast PVP servers, when you want to be on an east coast pure pvp server.

3. Someone else brought this up but how will combining legacies work?

4. Looks like the people who transfer first will be taking a huge risk if they choose a server that turns out not to be for them (i.e. if an rper transfers to a server that quickly turns into an erp server or if a pvp'er goes to a server surrounded by people with character names like teabag, dumcumpster, and fatballs). It might be first come first served, but could the ones who go first (ESPECIALLY GUILDS) have a period where they can revert their decision if the server turns out not to be for them? They are, after all, going to be setting the bar and deciding the identity of each individual server. They should at the very least be able to petition for a reroll on servers if things are bad enough.

5. First come, first served for Guild names may not be the best idea as it opens doors for trolls to take popular names and just be quicker than guild masters who have sites, facebook pages, and twitters.

I am only reading the word "character" here, not "characters" if your moving to another server, you of course want all the characters in your legacy you have also created to move with your main character ? I have two level 50s and a little level 15.

1. "We understand that some of you may be looking to consolidate characters from a variety of origin servers onto one server, and others may be anxious to move to a specific server to be with friends. With the restrictions of this initial service, that may not be possible." - FAIL

2. "We still believe that you will enjoy playing on a higher population server and hope you'll take advantage of the service, but you won't be forced to transfer." - FAIL

3. "Future versions of the Character Transfer Service may allow more options in your choice of destination servers and may require a transfer fee." - FAIL

There are a lot of ways transfers/mergers could have been handled, but some of those ways would of course be insanely stupid. It seems you've elected to do this a stupid way? probably 80% of your customers will take issue with not being able to consolidate their characters. Your ENTIRE PvP server playerbase will suffer from this, unless, as the post implies, they get 'lucky'. Because E~V~E~R~Y PvP player in this game, with the exception of those that started on Fatman, (and any diehards still on their original dead servers) has characters on a dead server that they want to consolidate with their refugee characters on Fatman. That doesn't even address the second part of that statement - not being able to transfer to specific servers to be with friends.

As for the second quote, this... seems very simple to me. YOU NEED TO MERGE SERVERS. There are too many. If you really don't think so, then you are in denial. If you are telling us that we won't be forced to transfer, then you are basically telling us that all the servers will remain. Merge servers. I can't speak for PVE servers, but merge all the PvP servers into only 2 or 3 servers, at the most. If the game starts picking up, you can open up additional PvP servers and offer incentives and free transfers to people to join them. THIS IS REALLY SIMPLE!

And third, No. I'm only going to stick around long enough and hope that I'm one of the 'lucky' ones that can consolidate my Veela and Fatman Legacies, and still be able to play on a server with my friends. If I'm not one of the lucky ones, you can be DAMNED sure I am not going to stick around any longer, and I sure as HELL am not going to pay any transfer fees to correct your mistakes.

This is awesome, but I have one question. How would a server transfer effect legacy?

For example, I wanted to move my 2 level 50's, one of which actually started the legacy. Will my legacy levels and perks be effected on those two characters or is legacy tied to the server and not the originating character?

You will keep all the unlocked perks of both servers and your legacy level will be the biggest one of them. They have said this repeatedly(and in the announcement too). I don't want to sound offensive but you should try reading next time. Too many people prefer to ask questions that are answered right in front of them.

I was under the impression that server transfers might not be the solution, as it was rumored that we may instead see an upgrade to mega-servers. I envisioned this as setting up the existing servers in parallel, and merging the populations of multiple servers into one larger virtual server.

Does this mean mega-servers aren't happening, or is that something that will be coming in a later phase?

They mentioned them as a plan for the future. We do not know anything about this so it is better to assume it is not happening until it does.

One thing, will you lock out servers, meaning that if that their populations is so low that no one should be playing on it. I am on one of the much lower population servers and it is so bad that no one should move here, will you block it off as everyone on the server takes part in an mass exodus.

Read the article

Bioware: Please have some regard to the guilds that have already taken the initiative and re-settled on another server.

I'm in a guild that re-settled on my server and started again. Their hope has always been to unite their other characters on our server once the character transfers went live. I understand your hesitancy to let this be a free-for-all as the reasons you have given are valid but it could end up tearing my guild apart and people are already saying they'll leave the game.

My suggestion would be to allow you to transfer characters from your account to the server of your choice if you already have made a character there. This suggestion is obviously open to abuse so I have suggested failsafes: Firstly you could set a character creation date for example 20th May. So as long as you've created a character there before this date you have an option to move there. Also to make this a more robust system you could also ask that everyone has achieved an arbitrary legacy level of 5 on the new server to ensure that people are not trying to abuse the system.

If you think about it it wouldn't have any impact on the actual population of the destination server because these people are already playing there regularly and it helps keep guilds and RL playing communities alive and well.

I know that the Character Transfer implementation is a massive job but please give this some thought. I know in an earlier post that someone has been appointed to keep guilds together post character transfers. I'd be grateful if you could pass this suggestion on to this person for consideration.

Bioware: Please have some regard to the guilds that have already taken the initiative and re-settled on another server.

I'm in a guild that re-settled on my server and started again. Their hope has always been to unite their other characters on our server once the character transfers went live. I understand your hesitancy to let this be a free-for-all as the reasons you have given are valid but it could end up tearing my guild apart and people are already saying they'll leave the game.

My suggestion would be to allow you to transfer characters from your account to the server of your choice if you already have made a character there. This suggestion is obviously open to abuse so I have suggested failsafes: Firstly you could set a character creation date for example 20th May. So as long as you've created a character there before this date you have an option to move there. Also to make this a more robust system you could also ask that everyone has achieved an arbitrary legacy level of 5 on the new server to ensure that people are not trying to abuse the system.

If you think about it it wouldn't have any impact on the actual population of the destination server because these people are already playing there regularly and it helps keep guilds and RL playing communities alive and well.

I know that the Character Transfer implementation is a massive job but please give this some thought. I know in an earlier post that someone has been appointed to keep guilds together post character transfers. I'd be grateful if you could pass this suggestion on to this person for consideration.

To me that does not mean eneything do you know why that is.

Hi, I have a question and I was wondering id anyone could help. I noted in the article that the designed transfer places may change at short notice as server populations shift. If a whole guild sought to move as a unit, will we be able to let customer service know that we're moving as a grou[ so that they can keep the door open until everyone lands at the new server?

Hi, I have a question and I was wondering id anyone could help. I noted in the article that the designed transfer places may change at short notice as server populations shift. If a whole guild sought to move as a unit, will we be able to let customer service know that we're moving as a grou[ so that they can keep the door open until everyone lands at the new server?

This has been asked (and answered) a lot. They meant that the list is subject to change PRIOR to them opening a destination for your server. They will not be doing every single server transfer at once, which is why they said they might change destination server on short notice.

It looks like this line is causing a little bit of confusion. Hopefully I can help clear that up! What we're saying here is that we're unable to provide the origins and destinations in advance because those lists may change internally as we watch the response to transfers. We'll be monitoring populations and how many players are transferring, which will inform our decisions about further origin and destination servers. We won't be changing the destination on you once it's announced, we just don't want to announce a pair too early.

In other words, once transfers start, you and your guild are safe and won't be separated.

Hi, I have a question and I was wondering id anyone could help. I noted in the article that the designed transfer places may change at short notice as server populations shift. If a whole guild sought to move as a unit, will we be able to let customer service know that we're moving as a group so that they can keep the door open until everyone lands at the new server?........:cool::cool::cool:

Hello there,

I do not think that will work but you can try and do that and see if that will work ok.

This is not correct. We'll be providing a list of origin servers and destination servers. Each origin server will have one destination server, and players can elect to transfer their characters from the origin server to the destination. Our goal is to have destination servers with a much higher active player population, so we'll be monitoring the process and adding new origin and destination pairs as necessary to reach that goal.

So this is, effectively, server merge by choice...

That is not a bad thing in my opinion, just calling it what it actually is.

Very glad that I will not be transferring anything.