Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

Are they possibly going to allow pvp to Pve server Xfers? I had a sorc 50 on a server then went to a server where my guild from swg was and leveled a toon there but I read that u cant. Are they adding that in though?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so the more I've talked about this with others, I really think it would be beneficial for BioWare to release--sooner rather than later--a list of servers that don't meet whatever population threshhold they're looking at. Surely, they know which servers are going to be origin servers. They don't have to say what the destination servers will be, because obviously they want to play that by ear as they see how many players elect to transfer. But I'm absolutely certain the list of origin servers isn't going to change between now and next week.

But if you had all the origin servers you'd have a list of the destination servers. (HINT: They'll be the ones NOT on the list.)

yes but there som suvers that wont hit the requirments that have just enough of a population for them not to bother edditing it or alowing people leave it ...... so u wont have all info you just giveing the poeple on these suvers longer to prepair ......

i only have 2 main chars, one jedi and one BH the BH is on a "dead" server, the jedi is on a heavy used one, I personally dont mind leaving the heavey one to a new "super" server ,If i can get them both together.

I do have a question, what willhappen to any items I am selling on the GTN? will they get transfered also?

Make it quick... 9 people on fleet right now on Port Nowhere. 43 people total playing.

Minus me now... so 8. Off to play somthing with actual people

Edited by Krookz

There absolutely needs to be a priority system for names. I preordered the game and logged in right at launch so I would be able to reserve the names I wanted. I have 3 50s and a 49, 26, 18, 17, and 10. Without a seniority system I expect two of those 50s to have to lose their names. If that happens I'm gone.

There is a priorty system for names. The first person on that server with that name wins.

Will we able to transfer a character from one account to another one? in the beginning we had only one game me and my husband., and i am wondering if i will be able to transfer the first character i created on my husband's account to my own account that i created later.

thank you

No you will not.

Are they possibly going to allow pvp to Pve server Xfers? I had a sorc 50 on a server then went to a server where my guild from swg was and leveled a toon there but I read that u cant. Are they adding that in though?

That's what I was wondering, but according to the post, not yet. Unless I misread it. I'd like to transfer a couple of my PvP server people to my RP Server.

Including my side of the argument. Just because I don't agree with you doesn't make me a troll. I could say the same about you.

What makes you a troll is your over the top reactions to posts that dont favour Bioware and/or their plans in a good light.

The slightest hint of negativity in a post, you've almost immediately shot it down. Not to mention your condescending and patronising tone to your messages.

No, I'm not assuming that. There's a chance you will have to chance your name. Frankly, I really don't care as it's a small price to pay. Thankfully, there are other ways to communicate your new name to your guild members so they know how to whisper such as 1) A guild website, 2) A guild facebook page, 3) Logging onto the destination server ahead of time and reserving the name, and then telling your guildies what the name will be before the change. I'm sure there are more. You just need to stop being lazy and do one of them, if you care so much.

A small price to you, is a not a small price for everyone. People have said during this thread that their legacy and character names are more than just mere names to them, for their own various reasons. Who are you to deem it trivial?

I get your point of other communication methods. My point was why should the customer take up the slack? You do pay for a service on your car, and expect to have to do some of the work yourself?

Asking for some common curtesy from a company is laziness? right.

So have an officer set up the guild and when you get around to doing it yourself, get invited and have guild leadership transferred to you when you get there. Problem two fixed. Next?

you totally didnt read my posts thoroughly did you.

Ah the dreaded "fanboi" argument (is this part of what you call "Healthy debate and constructive arguements?") that people use when they obviously know they're wrong but don't want to admit it. For the record, just because someone agrees with Bioware doesn't make them a fanboi. Second, I've posted at length multiple times about all the things they've messed up about this game. I'm as critical of anyone when they deserve it. I let them have it back in beta for months, as well. But obviously, I agree with them on one thing and I'm a fanboi. You, sir, are ignorant.

Loving the contradiction and hypocrasy, really.

Calling you a fanboi is absolutely no admission of being wrong. You come across as a BW fanboi, hence why i asked (note the question mark) if you are indeed a fanboi.

You may well have called them up on things they've done wrong, but during this thread, you've done nothing but try to discredit the posts of those who dont share your view 'on this occassion'

And because i dont have the time, nor the willingness to go through every post you've every made, i'm judging you based solely on this topic/thread.

To call me out on the word 'fanboi' and then say i'm ignorant is just beautiful hypocrasy. well done. However, i'm not a sir.

It also doesn't make you right. First of all, it's laughable that you can speak for what "most guilds want" since you have no idea what most guilds want. However, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt in this case because what you're asking for is, in essence, "PLEASE MAKE MY LIFE EASIER BIOWARE." Well, of course, who wouldn't want to do less work? At some point in development, though, a choice has to be made as far as how much programming they have to do to implement a feature versus the time it would delay the finish of the project to get it done. In this case, they decided that the time it would take to allow a guild transfer feature to work with the character transfer feature was too much that it would delay the target date of the project. Especially considering the extremely small amount of work it will be on YOUR part in order to get your guild set up, there's no reason to delay the project in order to put this feature in.

As a general concensus of what people have said in this thread, and on alot of the server forums, as well as in general chat in game, it feels like more guilds want this than not. I havent in any way tried to palm off anything i have said as fact. At all.

As for making my life easier, regarding this issue, yes it would. But this isnt about me, Its about all of us that feel they could have made more effort in terms of moving guilds. Yet again, other game companies already have and use a guild moving facility, and yet again Bioware hasnt tried to adopt something similar to it.

It feels like Bioware is giving us the proverbial two fingers while giving us something we asked for.

"here's your toy back you've been nagging me for.... i broke it just to annoy you though"

At some point, it becomes a matter of "Yeah, we'd love to do this for you, but honestly it's so little work for you and would be so much work for us on our end that you'll just have to do it yourself so we can roll this project out on time."

Deal with it.

They can set the date for 1.3 to whatever the hell they want really. The only deadlines are what they've set themselves. No doubt something wont work, and we'll have downtime and crashes anyway.

How much more work, over moving potentially hundreds of thousands of characters, would it actually be?

They've done this much as it is. is it really that hard to do just that little bit more for customers out of goodwill?

For someone trying to play the higher moral ground here, trashing other peoples posts when their views dont sit well with yours, patronisingly correcting everyone, making baseless assumptions, and judging people because they dared to question your clearly biased opinion, you are incredibly rude, very arrogant, blindly ignorant to things other people genuinely see as a problem, and brilliantly hypocritical.

I'm done wasting time entertaining your drivel.

And dont for one minute think of this as any admission of defeat, you're merely boring me.

Edited by Egalatae

But if you had all the origin servers you'd have a list of the destination servers. (HINT: They'll be the ones NOT on the list.)

I understand that. If there are six servers now and we know four of them are origin servers, then that means there are two destination servers. What we don't know is which origin servers are going to get paired with which destination servers.

I mean, you almost know now--especially if you play on an RP server--which are going to be which. But it would be nice to just know for a fact that I'm moving, because I'd like to plan accordingly (i.e., start scouting out potential guilds on the new servers, etc.).

What makes you a troll is your over the top reactions to posts that dont favour Bioware and/or their plans in a good light..

No offense but he's been fairly polite to me even if we dont' agree over on a thread that I started earlier. Maybe your reading to much into his comments? It can happen its the internet..interpretations of whats being said can always vary.

tbh if we have 100 on the fleet in peak times i would be happy but when your guild is over half the population online it is kinda depresing . i cant w8 for the transfers and cant w8 to know where we may be going or if people are coming to us , !!!! and i think its some thing bioware should relase as soon as posble they can always make the statment subject to change , its not hard !!!!!! give us a clue :p

I understand that. If there are six servers now and we know four of them are origin servers, then that means there are two destination servers. What we don't know is which origin servers are going to get paired with which destination servers.

I mean, you almost know now--especially if you play on an RP server--which are going to be which. But it would be nice to just know for a fact that I'm moving, because I'd like to plan accordingly (i.e., start scouting out potential guilds on the new servers, etc.).

Yeah and other people would plan accordingly by then creating a dummy to hold their name on every server not on the origin list. Awesome.

Yeah and other people would plan accordingly by then creating a dummy to hold their name on every server not on the origin list. Awesome.

Except that wouldn't work out very well since they wouldnt know exactly when their char is being transfered over so they could stil F themselves out of the name. Its kinda a flawed idea to create place holders for names due to transfer. Since you could forget to delete or when you delete someone is ahead of you in line and gets the name first anyway.

(Note: This is my first, and almost certainly last, SWTOR forum post.)

When I first started playing (Dec 2011) I thought there would be a significant difference between PvP and PvE servers, so I rolled a couple toons on each (The Jekk'Jekk Tarr and Daragon Trail). As it turns out, there was little substantive difference between them, so since February I've been waiting for transfers to bring over my PvP server toons to my PvE server, where I was part of a large guild.

I stopped playing about 4 weeks ago, but have about 60 days of play time left on my now-cancelled subscription.

When I saw the news today about server transfers I was initially hopeful that it might bring me back to the game. Unfortunately, now that I've read everything about the transfer plans, including the community service reps posts in this thread, I know I'm not coming back.

It's one thing to limit the scope of transfers, but another thing entirely to limit transfers as much as BW/EA plans to. And let's all be honest with ourselves here, what they have described (for at least this 'first round') is really merges, not transfers. Another poster had it right -- it's the illusion of choice. Maybe real 'choice' will arrive sooner or later, but whenever it does, I sure hope BW/EA doesn't expect me to pay for it, because that just isn't going to happen.

I'm on the server BioWare put my pre-formed guild on the first day of early access... Was I not supposed to roll with my friends?

This is the simplest, easiest to code, least-possible-effort scheme for population "management" that BioWare could have implemented. If they did merges, it'd be their responsibility to sort out the naming. By making you pull the trigger yourself they absolve themselves of any sort of customer service.

Yeah, I guess that's my only real disappointment with this announcement. People keep saying that we were all asking for this. I never asked for this. I asked for server mergers, because when that happens, the onus is on the developer to come up with a priority system for character names that's fair and comprehensible. Under a system like that, I could be fine with losing a character name I liked, because I'd figure, "Well, whoever got it probably deserved it just as much as I do, if not more so."

But doing it this way, they get to pretend as though the decision was yours, but obviously, when it's a choice between losing your main character's name to a level 5 toon that hasn't been played in five months and staying on a sinking ship (whose sinking BioWare has now expedited), that isn't much of a choice at all.

Except that wouldn't work out very well since they wouldnt know exactly when their char is being transfered over so they could stil F themselves out of the name. Its kinda a flawed idea to create place holders for names due to transfer. Since you could forget to delete or when you delete someone is ahead of you in line and gets the name first anyway.

There are pros and there are cons to either way. So once can find pros to revealing too soon. It's clear that BioWare, however, has objectively weighed both the pros AND the cons of both and found the best move to be to withhold that information until day of.

Personally, I can see a lot of cons to releasing the server list too soon.

Ahto City is where the party is at:p so would be much better if u all come there any thorts on if they are going to cheat and murge them in alphobetical sections , beacuse they already have the forums like that and we know how they like to take the easy way out :p