Swg > swtor

Yoverion

You also sometimes wonder that "if the Ford T was such a special car why did it sell less than a Trabant"?

Oh there WAS a way to become jedi, and there WERE a few jedi per server before "the village" It was called Hologrinding.....At character creation a number (6 or 8) out of the 32 professions was randomly selected, if your character mastered ALL of these you unlocked your jedi slot.

You could get tips for some of the profession by using holocron, but some (1-3) always remainded "blind", hence "hologrinding, which basicly came down to master profession after profession.

For every 'rose tinted goggles" remark I have to say a lot of the "bad stuff" being claimed are equally wrong....as above claim for example....oh and there was endgame....just not cookie cutter like in other mmo's

If the market was smaller why was it still bleeding subs?

Also what did it have for an end game? There was no gear progression or dungeons

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love SWG, especially pre-NGE. A lot of the points have been hit on by others (space, crafting, sandbox element), but I also loved the community. I can't say I ever met too many people who were total a-holes like in a lot of games these days. People were generally helpful, and even would take part in some light RP on a non-RP server and not get your head ripped off.

SWG was also the only game I ever PvP'd in. It was more "open". Unlike most other MMOs, you could just run into Restuss, flag yourself for PvP, then join the fight that was already going on. No queuing up for these events, no time limits, no team size limits, and no objectives (there were quests you could do, but they weren't mandatory) other than "kill the other team". For me, when we won the battle, it felt like I was actually doing something for the Galactic Civil War. These objective based, time/team limited fights we have to queue up for just feels too much like Halo or Call of Duty to me. (Note: this is a gripe I have with most MMOs today, not just TOR).

All that said, I'm greatly enjoying TOR, but for different reasons than I enjoyed SWG. Do I wish they would incorporate some of the more sandbox-y elements SWG had, sure, but even if they don't my 5-year-old-self will still be pretty happy he gets to log in every day to a pretty good take on the Star Wars universe in some manner.

Ofc swtor was better, it had along time to develop its self just like wow. Swtor is still fresh give it time. Cheesy line but Rome wasn't built in a day....neither was swtor.

The problem with swtor is that it`s a bad bad singleplayer game with an linear boring world. Top that with some rabbid and fanatic fans and you have an epic fail.

Swtor isnt better, this shallow joke of an mmo was all they could come up with with that budget and experiences from other mmo:s?

SWG was the best MMO I have ever played, you could take control of the Galaxy with your faction; Rebellion or empire, You could do collections of badges to unlock things.I loved having entertainers if you wanted to just be social and get a lot of money from buffs, and having traders for different things, trading was much better in SWG than in SWTOR. Also the play system was better with being prone for more accuracy! Also, the instances were so fun ! It was awesome invading Hoth and fighting the Tusken King ! Space combat was awesome with open space to fly in, and you could get friends to man the turrets ! One awesome idea was holidays in SWG, they had Ewok festival of love, remembrance/empire day, all this fun stuff to do. They really should get SWG back up, i already quit my subscription to SWTOR since it is very boring at level 50. Edited by XxSHARPSHOOTERxX

Played SWG

Played SWTOR

At the moment... My vote goes for OP, SWG it is.

* My honest opinion. Fanboys please don't kill me.

* PS. I believe SWTOR can become MUCH better than SWG.. But far from atm.

Also what did it have for an end game? There was no gear progression or dungeons

thats endgame? gear grinding?

lol

mai god with this brainwashed kids

I can't tell you how wrong you are....

"The first Force-sensitive character slot was unlocked on 7 November 2003."

3 months right after launch.

Thanks, i was going to fix him up, Jeepers it was funny seeing the first Jedi on the server, and i had more fun trying to bounty hunt them.

I lived for bounty hunting in SWG, nothing more fun than tracking your guy down and waiting for that right time to strike :) I think every PVPer worried a little when a buffed up Hunter walked up to you.

I LOVED SWG Pre-NGE, was miffed for 2 years then came back and actually loved NGE for BH and Jedi.

I think swtor needs some sandbox, as opposed to theme park, content. i think most of my issues would be resolved by that.

see the problem here is you failing to accept not every mmo follows WOW mechanics with "gear progression" apparently you were not aware the game had a PLAYER BASED ECONOMY which is the opposite of kindergarten level "gear progression" in simple mmos...And there were dungeons (the corvette eg.), but also a lot of open world content..... (nightsister cave, geonosian cave, the warren, etc)

So besides keeping busy, I guess you could say the endgame in swg was unlocking your FS slot and levelling your jedi (for some people)....I however managed to keep myself far from bored for a LOOOOOONG time, wihtout levelling a fluostick char by playing loads of different templates, picking up crafting, optimizing my gear (which is weapons, armor, FOOD, DRINKS and spice) etc.

Don't speak about the game unless you actually played it pls and have a base understnading of how it works, which you clearly don't as you would not talk about "gear progression" (gear actually DID get better with new resources spawns)

by all means please explain to me what end game SWG had?

at least for me

PvP in restuss

PvP in Bf's

PvP in any corner of different planets

bounty hunting

PvP

PvP

PvP

crafting: armors, clothing, 35's, guns, etc....

loling at general chat

SWG's endgame was whatever you wanted it to be. Moer often than not, it involved hunting on Dathomir, or at the Krayt Dragon Graveyard onTatooine. Or Pvp, hunting Jedi, Imperials, or Rebels.

Or crafting, or dancing, or sitting in a medcentre buffing.

Endgame was the entire game.

Both games are good, although I'd have to say I preferred SWG to TOR. TOR does too much hand-holding (Go here, do this, then go over there, hit some of those guys, then come back to the base) where SWG basically said 'There's the Star Wars universe, go play'. And being able to pick and choose skills instead of being forced along a specific class route that loads of other people also have is a good thing.

Sure, SWG had some problems, but so does TOR. Having a Star Wars MMO that is a mixture of the two would have been incredible.

i couldnt agree with you more i would like this game to be a bit more less hand holding and allow us to explore more or even build a city for our guild or have 10 guilds to build a city ect.. stuff like that i know it a sand box game but they using the heroengine and they can DO SO MUCH more than what they have even the rumor of the 3d Full space that has been rumored about that will be a good start

but i still have hope for you bioware to make this game better and well done for pulling in DA3 dev team to help make content and fix bugs now thats what u call team play i really hope this game doesnt fail epic style i hope you bioware can turn this right around and give us what we want to make ur subs go over 2million.

Edited by burnsyy

SWG's endgame was whatever you wanted it to be. Moer often than not, it involved hunting on Dathomir, or at the Krayt Dragon Graveyard onTatooine. Or Pvp, hunting Jedi, Imperials, or Rebels.

Or crafting, or dancing, or sitting in a medcentre buffing.

Endgame was the entire game.

Sitting and buffing people don't really sound so exciting for endgame content, crafting was...eh only if you really had the time. Other stuff, alright I guess.

I see alot of new players who always refer to any new mmo a wow clone but infact wow is a clone of everquest which was around well before wow was even thought of but getting on subject I think that star wars the old republic has for me rekindled my love of star wars games and yes I did play star wars galaxies but in swg yes the pvp was good but if you was sitting in a pvp zone waiting for players to turn up could be rather boring many a time I would sit there go afk for a coffee in living room and still have toon sitting there so I guess pvp in swg wasnt that popular than most other mmo's are today now I did enjoy swg but heres the secret to its downfall (to many items on the server I alone had thousands per toon) the lag on the servers must of been terrible now if they didnt have so much items in buildings then yes swg might of been still around today.I remember one planet that was a terrible rubber band planet but ive not experienced this at all in swtor so guess who wins in my book's but it is a shame you can't have a wookie as a playerble character as mine would of been a jedi like it was in swg.:eek:

Sitting and buffing people don't really sound so exciting for endgame content, crafting was...eh only if you really had the time. Other stuff, alright I guess.

Thats the whole point tho. There wasn't really a "end game" in SWG , and IMO i can't really see why anyone would ever want a "end game".

Whats the end game in SWTOR? WZ comms till you get WH armor? Thats pretty much it. Sure you can do all the FP and ops but all that gear sucks compared to WZ WH stuff. Crafting , no end game there. Space , once you do all the missions once , its just another grind for no reason. Nothing extra from it but 'lil credits.

In SWG the "end game" was never ending. Sure you could get the best gear on the server , but then you have to get mods to go in that gear and that was ever changing with all the templete combos out there.

So you got the best gear on the server in SWG , now what? How would you like to test it? Pvp , pve , sure. So you go pvp but this guy stomps you over and over. Remod to fit better vs his attacks , so now you got to go Kryat or Kimo hunting to get the mod drops , but now your mods in your suite need tweeking to def vs the pve to get the pvp mods and so on.

Now on to space , got to get some good npc's to get good drops to take to a ship builder.

If you don't have the idea by now , it was never ending in what you had/could do to keep busy. PVP had more than just 3-4 "matches" to do. It was everywhere. While your fighting in Restuss just for fun , the other side is sending guys to take the bases on the other planets to get the uber stims , and on top of that they got people blocking the space ports , so its a all day fight just to clear 1 pvp hot spot to get to another.

And trust me , if they get those high end stims or even that banner , its a game changer.

PVP bases that can be planted and defended for a planet wide bonus on faction gear.

PVE spawns that only happened once a week or once a day. PVP being fought over the spawns and the winner getting the spoils.

Crafting , harvesting to get the top gear for your guild....

and lets not forget the 50 or so dungeons that could be ran with high lvl drops for gear/weapons/stims/food/drink/meds

And on top of all that , there was "your version of end game" , be it badges , collections , getting a set of all the armor in the game or 1 of each weapon in the game or any number of things.

Thats the whole point tho. There wasn't really a "end game" in SWG , and IMO i can't really see why anyone would ever want a "end game".

Whats the end game in SWTOR? WZ comms till you get WH armor? Thats pretty much it. Sure you can do all the FP and ops but all that gear sucks compared to WZ WH stuff. Crafting , no end game there. Space , once you do all the missions once , its just another grind for no reason. Nothing extra from it but 'lil credits.

In SWG the "end game" was never ending. Sure you could get the best gear on the server , but then you have to get mods to go in that gear and that was ever changing with all the templete combos out there.

So you got the best gear on the server in SWG , now what? How would you like to test it? Pvp , pve , sure. So you go pvp but this guy stomps you over and over. Remod to fit better vs his attacks , so now you got to go Kryat or Kimo hunting to get the mod drops , but now your mods in your suite need tweeking to def vs the pve to get the pvp mods and so on.

Now on to space , got to get some good npc's to get good drops to take to a ship builder.

If you don't have the idea by now , it was never ending in what you had/could do to keep busy. PVP had more than just 3-4 "matches" to do. It was everywhere. While your fighting in Restuss just for fun , the other side is sending guys to take the bases on the other planets to get the uber stims , and on top of that they got people blocking the space ports , so its a all day fight just to clear 1 pvp hot spot to get to another.

And trust me , if they get those high end stims or even that banner , its a game changer.

PVP bases that can be planted and defended for a planet wide bonus on faction gear.

PVE spawns that only happened once a week or once a day. PVP being fought over the spawns and the winner getting the spoils.

Crafting , harvesting to get the top gear for your guild....

and lets not forget the 50 or so dungeons that could be ran with high lvl drops for gear/weapons/stims/food/drink/meds

And on top of all that , there was "your version of end game" , be it badges , collections , getting a set of all the armor in the game or 1 of each weapon in the game or any number of things.

Well obviously it was never ending, because it was a sandbox game. But that doesn't mean, you couldn't have done everything still and still end up being bored because your doing the same thing, over and over, and over again. No matter what, sandbox/themepark MMO you are going to do the same things over and over again, no matter how you slice it. The only difference, with sandbox is that it takes much longer.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I always join these threads late but SWG's world pvp alone dominates this games PvP. Do 10 wz's you will get bored. But world pvp keeps you going, oh and wow is no clone of EQ, they are both completely different games, different mechanics, different combat system, different classes, but what swtor has is a ripoff from wow, people that say wow is a clone from any other mmo is dead wrong, even though I dont enjoy that game it is a successful mmo that made all its core on its own.

see the problem here is you failing to accept not every mmo follows WOW mechanics with "gear progression" apparently you were not aware the game had a PLAYER BASED ECONOMY which is the opposite of kindergarten level "gear progression" in simple mmos...And there were dungeons (the corvette eg.), but also a lot of open world content..... (nightsister cave, geonosian cave, the warren, etc)

So besides keeping busy, I guess you could say the endgame in swg was unlocking your FS slot and levelling your jedi (for some people)....I however managed to keep myself far from bored for a LOOOOOONG time, wihtout levelling a fluostick char by playing loads of different templates, picking up crafting, optimizing my gear (which is weapons, armor, FOOD, DRINKS and spice) etc.

Don't speak about the game unless you actually played it pls and have a base understnading of how it works, which you clearly don't as you would not talk about "gear progression" (gear actually DID get better with new resources spawns)

The problem with swg endgame was that it was way to simple. When the NK came out it was tough. HK used to be a force to be reckoned with. By the time the game ended another guy and I could two man HK without even coming close to death, I could kill the NK without even having to heal, etc. We completed ISD in 21min with 5 people. We could 3man everything but EK. Dathomir was a joke. The warren became a joke. Geo cave became a joke. Death troopers was too badly done to be a joke. I liked the game, but they didn't update the difficulty with their new content. In the end 90% of the game became obsolete. Even DWB became a joke really. Yeah, it was always tough - even to the end. But it wasn't hard to go in and solo 2 or sometimes 3 npc's without much trouble as a spy. As a medic or a jedi it was a true joke.

at least for me

PvP in restuss

PvP in Bf's

PvP in any corner of different planets

bounty hunting

PvP

PvP

PvP

crafting: armors, clothing, 35's, guns, etc....

loling at general chat

Also - you could do anything you wanted. True sandbox. And I miss bounty hunting :(

Some really good memories with SWG. Think the best one though was the server wide Jedi Dueling competition. It was held at the Jedi temple ruins on Dantooine. Over a hundred people showed up. Every person was matched to another Jedi to duel.

Each person who won would continue on to fight another person who won their duel until there was only one Jedi left. The winner won a Sunrider's crystal :p ah good times.

That along with Restuss "taunting the other faction to cross the line", base busts and server wide space pvp dog fights with squadrons and gunboats. Miss ya SWG D:

Amazing how a game that came out in 2003 has 10x's the features of a game released in 2011/12.

And by amazing, I mean embarrassing.

To be fair, SWG was really, REALLY crappy when it was only 6 months old. I beta tested SWG and played off and on for it's 8-year run. There were a lot of stupid bugs, problems, and two complete combat system overhauls (CU and NGE). That said...

SWG was lightyears ahead of TOR in many aspects. The community of SWG was great, whereas TOR has virtually none. Anyone who says this game's worlds are on par with the size of those in SWG really need to get a clue. You could probably fit every single map of TOR on SWG's Dantooine. TOR is far too linear in just about every aspect. The maps are limited, classes are confined, even the community is bound by limitations (and no server specific forums).

What TOR is lacking the most: immersion and freedom.

With SWG, you really felt like you were there. TOR has far superior graphics, but I've never once really stopped to take a look around, not like I did in SWG. It was fun to just build a camp out in the middle of nowhere with some friends and relax. In TOR, you can't even sit in a cantina seat.

SWG is way better than SWTOR in every aspect. im not saying SWTOR is bad however no one can deny its a wow clone.

SWG PvP Video, compare this to pvp in swtor and see for yourself which is better

I hate you for reminding me.

Damn you.

DAMN YOU, I SAY.

Edit: 5 star'ed this topic.

Edited by Tkerzis