Has this game turned you "off" to MMOs in general?

Kentontudor

On the contrary, this game has replenished my desire to play MMOs.

I never played WOW and never wanted to. I never wanted to play many of them at all, except for STO which was a colossal flop IMHO.

BioWare has changed all of that. This is my new game. It will be so for a long while to come.

Amazingly, I felt the same way. SwTOR has some things that others don't.. but then other MMOs have things this game SHOULD have.

The mentioned STO here. It had a really rough start.. but it has become a much better game now.. It's f2p, and yes there are some things you can buy.. But you know what keeps bring me back to STO.. The fact that it hands down has the best space combat and best space PvP of any game currently on the market. But you should jump over there and give it another try. June has season 6 coming out with a ton of new End game content, PvP overhaul, and Fleet constructed and run starbases.. Not too mention it has a "no win scenario" mode coming which is basically like Gears of War Horde mode.. except now you and your buddies are in Starships or outfitted on the ground.. Check it out anyhow! I still play it.. and there are things about it that flat out blow even SwTOR away...

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actualy I do play EQ1 since it's free to play.. but it and the other games are nothing like they used to be.. Maybe you should do you homework before posting?

/chuckle

I've done my homework. Played EQ1 for nearly 5 years. And while it has changed, you can still play it the way it was originally designed. There's still AC1 which has remained largely unchanged..as well as DAoC which too has remained pretty much unchanged (yes, played both of them as well). Oh, but you don't want that. You want some investor to shell out 100s of millions of dollars on AAA graphics with antiquated, D+ game play. Not going to happen.

Things that hurt the game.

Servers- Even when the game was booming... the worlds and cities still seemed dead. Instanced zones killed this game.

Lag- I have a great computer and I never experienced much network lag, but I had to tamper with my graphics settings and also the ability delays.

SW:TOR has turned me off MMOs a bit. Essentially it is a single-player experience with MMO elements (gear treadmill, grinding, stat balancing etc.) attached which has reminded me of the true essence of MMOs, which is to make you do the same piece(s) of content over and over again just so you can look at shinier armor with bigger numbers on it. After six years of WoW and other MMOs this has really jaded me. I honestly believe that I won't ever play another "old style" MMO that follows the same formula as WoW again and that once everyone else gets sick of them too they will die off.

I am however looking forward to other new and innovative MMOs such as TERA and Guild Wars 2 which shake up the system a bit.

Edited by Truvu

I enjoy the game, sometimes it drives me nuts, other times I am amazed how much fun it is. Its NOT an MMO, its not massive and for a lot of it it isn't multiplayer either. It certainly hasn't turned me off MMO's in general but it has turned me off the static, lifeless, non persistent, themepark genre, of which this is the best example.

I think, assuming BW can get things on a steady course and move ahead from the really shaky ground they seem to be on right now, this game will go from strength to strength and provide many many hours of great fun for me and lots of other players, but its not an MMO, its a light weight themepark, fun to ride on for a few hours.

It has raised my expectation for future MMOs significantly. Nowadays any other MMO with quest text instead of VO instantly lose my interest. I'm going to be playing this game and GW2, which also happens to be fully VOed from what I understand.

I actually can't play other MMO's after playing this one. It just feels like attachment to my character, and the story of the game is lacking compared to swtor. I guess if anything, SWTOR and Bioware have "spoiled" me with such an engrossing MMO.

It has raised my expectation for future MMOs significantly. Nowadays any other MMO with quest text instead of VO instantly lose my interest. I'm going to be playing this game and GW2, which also happens to be fully VOed from what I understand.

C'mon, man. Can I el oh el at "the difference in interest-level is reading vs. being read aloud to"?

There is no MMO coming out with quest texts, perhaps some asian ones, but none I know of western origin. Guess those times are over.

Actualy I do play EQ1 since it's free to play.. but it and the other games are nothing like they used to be.. Maybe you should do you homework before posting?

They don't understand that our games we prefer to play don't exist in that form anymore. The majority of MMO product have all conformed to the WOW model in order to get a bigger slice of the pie.

AO Classic for life.

I think 95% of the people here played World of Warcraft and had a great time with the game at some point. You get tired of a game and angry with the way the changes/expansions are installed which is understandable...

This game had so many Star Wars fans licking their chops and thinking that this would be the next great thing, because it's STAR WARS... and I had sworn allegiance to this game no matter if I hated it even before I played... but I hit Battlemaster about 2 months ago and stopped playing shortly after. Man I wanted this game to work.

Have been playing it since its release and just now getting second character up to the high 40s. Tried WoW, and it's okay, but my wife couldn't get into it. She can't stop playing this game though. Sorry you found it unfulfilling.

Everyone is quite sure (insert soon to be released MMO or game here) is going to be the savior of the MMO world, but...

They aren't. Those of you who thought TOR would be something it isn't are doing it all over again with these other games.

I hated WoW, seriously. Didn´t even play past the trial. I´m turned off by the oldschool "click x kill y" MMOs.

So....Are you happy with TOR then? or Quitting. Because it's exactly what you said you don't like. Hours and hours of kill X, collect Y. Hours, and hours, and hours.

The devs never claimed to revolutionize the genre. Just made it more " story driven". Assuming you care to hear /read what npc's have to say. Even on that account it's bla bla bla <spacebar> just gimme the loot.

They can cover it up with voice overs, and it's still npc's asking you to kill X and collect Y.

Personally I think it's hilarious that some people subbed than complain about these things. Quit because the engine is flawed, graphics suck, too many bugs, or something. But if you thought you weren't going to endlessly kill X and collect Y, you were fooling your self.

Edited by Your_dominus

C'mon, man. Can I el oh el at "the difference in interest-level is reading vs. being read aloud to"?

It's not about being read aloud to. It's about enjoying a cinematic experience. WOW, for instance, doesn't have that in it's quests. Most people that play games like that have no clue why they're doing a quest. They just accept them all and then mindlessly complete them as they race to max level. TOR has changed the genre for the better, IMO, by making the leveling process fun again. The journey actually means something in TOR.

Also, if graphics, presentation, cinematic, etc don't make a difference, why aren't you still playing text based MMORPGs?

Edited by Galbatorrix

After playing WoW for 7 years this game made me realize how stale and how corny it has become. I look at my WoW toon who has about 3-4 animations that get used for everything and the gear which is a muddled cartoon mess of shading and hues and I realized that it just doesn't cut it anymore. SW:TOR made me realize that other MMO's may be smaller in player base but they can be cooler and more fun to play. This game is the reason that I un-subbed from WoW.

After playing WoW for 7 years this game made me realize how stale and how corny it has become. I look at my WoW toon who has about 3-4 animations that get used for everything and the gear which is a muddled cartoon mess of shading and hues and I realized that it just doesn't cut it anymore. SW:TOR made me realize that other MMO's may be smaller in player base but they can be cooler and more fun to play. This game is the reason that I un-subbed from WoW.

I played WOW for 5 years and I agree completely. I'm still subbed (stupid AP), but I haven't logged in since I got TOR.

It's not about being read aloud to. It's about enjoying a cinematic experience. WOW, for instance, doesn't have that in it's quests. Most people that play games like that have no clue why they're doing a quest. They just accept them all and then mindlessly complete them as they race to max level. TOR has changed the genre for the better, IMO, by making the leveling process fun again. The journey actually means something in TOR.

Also, if graphics, presentation, cinematic, etc don't make a difference, why aren't you still playing text based MMORPGs?

TOR: spacebar spam through conversations, tbh. We both know most players do this. I actually made the hilarious mistake of listening to some of these quest dialogues on my first character. So much faster to read the subtitles.

I don't play text-based MMO's (or, as we call them, MUDs) anymore because they have no spacial representation for combat. Now that's a feature that matters. Right?

So....Are you happy with TOR then? or Quitting. Because it's exactly what you said you don't like. Hours and hours of kill X, collect Y. Hours, and hours, and hours.

The devs never claimed to revolutionize the genre. Just made it more " story driven". Assuming you care to hear /read what npc's have to say. Even on that account it's bla bla bla <spacebar> just gimme the loot.

They can cover it up with voice overs, and it's still npc's asking you to kill X and collect Y.

Personally I think it's hilarious that some people subbed than complain about these things. Quit because the engine is flawed, graphics suck, too many bugs, or something. But if you thought you weren't going to endlessly kill X and collect Y, you were fooling your self.

No, of course not happy and not resubscribing any time soon after the 30 free days - didn´t try the beta, I just expected the game to be great: Blockbuster budget, Bioware and Star Wars - what could possibly go wrong? Well.. you know the rest. And how can anyone complain BEFORE subbing, when I started in January there was not even a trial. :confused:

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

I played wow and swg because they were the only mmos out there for a while. There were not many to pick from well that were good. Now that Swtor is here I intend to stay with it for the longhaul because I enjoy it more than any other mmo I've played. Edited by -Sev