Has this game turned you "off" to MMOs in general?

Kentontudor

I can't wait until Secret World and also Titan (good ways down the road).

Secret World combat looked odd to me on the 2012 GDC video they had. TERA was much better.

Edited by Ngamok

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never had a game that didn't work on my PS1, 2 or 3 or my XBOX or Elite... my Dreamcast or my Cube but on a PC.. you gotta be kidding me. Folk do amuse me about generalising about PCs. Not one persons PC set up is the same... and yet the developers kits released for the consoles are structured for the platform. And console games are way more complex and controller sensitive than a PC game... The PC is still based on the concept of GEOS and pointy clicky.... Nothings changes really. Processors and hard drives get bigger and the programs eat up the resources with inefficient bloat. Always has done... Well not quite... but then you would have to have a girlfriend that knew Agnus, Denise and Paula.

Console games are way more complex than a PC game? Have you played any PC games that aren't also on the console? You can play a first person WW2 shooter on a console. You can play that, or a highly detailed tactical WW2 campaign wargame on a PC that encompasses the entire world and lieterally takes years to play. Apples and oranges.

Yes the compatibility of PC games can be an issue but that's exactly why the PC is, potentially, a far superior platform. The platform is in a constant state of evolution, not stagnating at what was state of the art 10 years ago.

From TERA to Archage to TSW and GW2 there are far too many games by studios that listen to players and know the MMO history to let the multitude of problems with SWTOR ruin the genre. There are even some cool things SWTOR brought to the genre like Vioceover stories that hoepfully will be added in games of the future. Who knows maybe Mass Effect the MMO will take all the SWTOR lessons fix them and then prove to players Bioware isn't just good at messing up and taking EA's ****. One can hope at least...

SWTOR is my game, period. WoW has died for me long ago and with the new expansion and what I saw in beta makes it even more sure I will NEVER go back to that game.

So if Kung Fu Pandas and lame Pokemon pet fights are your thing then go for it.

Edited by stineo

SWTOR is my game, period. WoW has died for me long ago and with the new expansion and what I saw in beta makes it even more sure I will NEVER go back to that game.

So if Kung Fu Pandas and lame Pokemon pet fights are your thing then go for it.

I don't see much difference between SWTOR and WOW when it comes to game play.. It's pixels fighting a mob.. Rather it be a Panda or a Sith.. it's only cosmetic... You still go from one quest hub to the next in a follow the breadcrumbs design.. Instead of clicking on the !.. you click on the hollowed triangle.. Instead of clicking on the ?, you click on the solid triangle.. SWTOR is basically WoW re-skinned to sci-fi..

HOWEVER, the storyline voice over is a nice PLUS.. but at end game.. It's ALL the same.. Dailies and Raid grind..

Yes, this game has turned me off to other MMOs. I don't play any existing MMOs anymore (besides SWTOR) and am not particularly interested in any upcoming ones.

So "yes" to MMOs in general; "no" to this specific MMO.

I'll take this guy's answer for 500 space bucks.

Your PS3 is running a graphics processer that is several generations behind the PC market. Same with XBox. They both make good use of what they do have by concentrating all that power on a few things. The size of the image is really all the advantage they have. I have a 7 year old PC (my old one) connected to a 50" 1080p plasma and I compared the same games on PC and XBox and there is no comparison. I know that a PS3 is slightly better than an XBox, technically speaking, but the difference between PC and console is like Blu Ray to DVD.

I'm not bashing consoles or console gamers. I have an XBox and a PC and I've played PS3 as well. The games that work best on one are usually crap on the other. The fault isn't in the games or platforms it's in the game publishers thinking that the PC and console are the same thing.

It's several generations behind the PC market, yes, but not my personal PC. My PC was never meant for games, so it really struggles in that department. I stopped upgrading it when I bought my PS3 in 2007 or whenever it came out.

I know you're not bashing; we're some of the few people that could probably calmly have this conversation. I also agree that some of the games look better on one platform compared to the other. Call of Duty is definitely one that stands out in that department. However, exclusive games like Uncharted look amazing. The developers are also to blame for that. The PS3 takes a different kind of development unlike the Xbox to PC. A lot of developers fudge it up and it doesn't look as good or play as good as it could. I'm looking at you Call of Duty.

If you cant see the difference between WOW and a modern first class MMO, you need to have yourself checked.

I know there are some WOW fanboys out there but gezzzzzz I can think of 5 at least that have evolved WAY beyond WOW without even thinking about it.

Wow was a good game in its day, not running it down, but it didn’t originate anything, it built on the MMO’s that preceded it, just as other MMO’s have built on the games that preceded them.

I think 95% of the people here played World of Warcraft and had a great time with the game at some point. You get tired of a game and angry with the way the changes/expansions are installed which is understandable...

This game had so many Star Wars fans licking their chops and thinking that this would be the next great thing, because it's STAR WARS... and I had sworn allegiance to this game no matter if I hated it even before I played... but I hit Battlemaster about 2 months ago and stopped playing shortly after. Man I wanted this game to work.

I find myself still coming back to these forums because I care about the game and I invested so much to the forums leading up to the game.

I think we wanted this game to save us from the MMO genre that we knew as "WoW," but I think it turned me off to the whole genre as a whole and I have now lost faith. :(

I do however hope that this game succeeds (but I don't see that happening) and I hope people continue to casually have fun with it.

And seriously, you can have my stuff. First person to send me a message gets my stuff.

Good luck with the game!

Cheers!

Yep that's what happening here. Immune to all that GW2 Tera whatever cause they are all promise and really nothing delivered. becuase I realize they are all the same and really are 7 years behind the boss in coding and if i am tired of elves and orcs too bads. Gonna enjoy my remaining time and liked that some Star Wars was into it but MMO's are dead to me.

Yep that's what happening here. Immune to all that GW2 Tera whatever cause they are all promise and really nothing delivered. becuase I realize they are all the same and really are 7 years behind the boss in coding and if i am tired of elves and orcs too bads. Gonna enjoy my remaining time and liked that some Star Wars was into it but MMO's are dead to me.

You can't give up, man. I've played almost all of them since UO through this thing. I per-ordered Tera and plan on playing GW2 in June when released. Never give up, sooner or later, mostly later, you might find that magic moment again.

You can't give up, man. I've played almost all of them since UO through this thing. I per-ordered Tera and plan on playing GW2 in June when released. Never give up, sooner or later, mostly later, you might find that magic moment again.

lol nice attitude man.. although i think you made a mistake preordering tera. if open beta is any indication.

it's bound to have one of the worst communities of all time.

i'm with you though, eventually someone will give us that magic again that we crave.

i don't care who it is or what game i just want that magic back, even if blizzard does it with titan or some mmo.. and i swore off blizzard games i'd even be willing to go back to blizzard. :)

Edited by teambff

This is the ONLY MMO I play right now. I never played WoW and never had a desire to do so. The only thing that would make me stop playing any MMO is when or if it ever goes to the so-called "free to play" scam payment method. If this game goes that route, I will never play any MMO again no matter what they claim to offer.

lol nice attitude man.. although i think you made a mistake preordering tera. if open beta is any indication.

it's bound to have one of the worst communities of all time.

i'm with you though, eventually someone will give us that magic again that we crave.

i don't care who it is or what game i just want it back, even if blizzard does it with titan or some mmo.. and i swore off blizzard games i'd even be willing to go back to blizzard. :)

yep, community does suck as it does in most games, lately. I'll give SWTOR one thing, the community was very mature, unlike the game. Wish me luck, I have my fire proof suit on.

I find this game EPIC and I love it. But this is my first mmo and I havent been spoiled by whatever magic WoW has so that could be why. I will never go and start playing wow though, comparing PvP vids of starwarstor against whatever is going on in WoW pvp vids is just lols and i love me the PvP.

I find this game EPIC and I love it. But this is my first mmo and I havent been spoiled by whatever magic WoW has so that could be why. I will never go and start playing wow though, comparing PvP vids of starwarstor against whatever is going on in WoW pvp vids is just lols and i love me the PvP.

well, the magic wow once had has long gone.

most of the people who talk of a greatness in wow are talking about a time long ago at it's early beginnings.

the wow of today is nothing like it's past, it's just a shadow of what once was.

so if you went and played today i doubt you would find any magic therein.

Edited by teambff

PvP used to be great in WoW when it was Open World, once BG's and Arenas hit, it sucked. Why so many are drawn to GW2 is for the World PvP. That really is it. :(

All MMOs are rubbish now, the cancer known as WoW and its community have made sure of that. All said and done if you think this mmo is bad you've barely dipped your toe into the pool. There's a LOT of epic crap out there and this stands way above still. Edited by Smakkies

All MMOs are rubbish now, the cancer known as WoW and its community have made sure of that. All said and done if you think this mmo is bad you've barely dipped your toe into the pool. There's a LOT of epic crap out there and this stands way above still.

I agree, the community sets this game apart from any other, but finding the community is the problem.

PvP used to be great in WoW when it was Open World, once BG's and Arenas hit, it sucked. Why so many are drawn to GW2 is for the World PvP. That really is it. :(

i liked the world pvp but the early battlegrounds were amazing fun.

i still remember some 2 hour warsong gulches that were so epic.. in it's early stages.

early battlegrounds were awesome.

and then arena/gear obsession came into the fold and ruined everything.

twinks spending their entire lives just to have the advantage, guilds all gearing up so they could premade and run over everyone, etc.

i liked the world pvp but the early battlegrounds were amazing fun.

i still remember some 2 hour warsong gulches that were so epic.. in it's early stages.

early battlegrounds were awesome.

and then arena/gear obsession came into the fold and ruined everything.

twinks spending their entire lives just to have the advantage, guilds all gearing up so they could premade and run over everyone, etc.

Ha! Lt. General here, still have my title but don't play anymore. I hear ya, man!

Also, MMOs require me to play on a PC, which is something that I do not enjoy. I much prefer the use of a controller and the quality of games that come on a console. I miss having good graphics to look at. I also have to pay a subscription, which is something I haven't come to accept. I still don't like that.

Not sure if serious... :mon_confused: