What happened to real Gamers?

Ensidious

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In regards to the OP, WoW got a great reputation as an MMO; it was fun and addictive. Real gamers loved it. And then the casuals came around to see what all the fuss was about. And they got jealous. So Blizzard nerfed the entire game into the ground to appease the whining masses.

To answer the title of the thread: WoW and CoD happened.

It's not the fact that gaming is "Evolving" it's taking steps backwards by the mile. WoW and CoD have made things so stupidly easy even a caveman can do it. Everything is so easy and automatic that there is really no need to group or socialize. They've killed this generation of gamers and unless companies spit in Activision's face and make a game that requires some level of knowledge than just "point and click/shoot" games will just get to the level and point where it won't be enjoyable to play.

Where's my pet,?

"oh crap, Healer, log off fast so we can get rezzed" the good old days before WoW

Oh MAN! I remember those days. "Looking for 96% rez so I don't have to run the eff back, get stomped 3 more times and delevel!"

Now THAT was gaming. WoW made rezzing too easy. Don't get me wrong, I much much MUCH prefer having to spend money to repair my armor rather than corpse runs where each death resulted in lost experience.

(This thread doesn't belong in the Sniper channel)

People grow up.

There's a new generation of gamers, that's why things seam different. Nostalgia is great, but you'll never get the same as what you had in WoW.

Personally, I played WoW in vanilla up until about 10 months ago. I've been through what you said, the endless grind to finish that raid and sacrifices and such. The feeling of accomplishment from a video game is not as rewarding to me as it was over 6 years ago. Priorities change and hence people change.

This. Also, to the OP, get a life. That is all.

And what do consoles have that MMOs don't? That's right - cheat codes. There's your entitlement source.

That's just silly. Cheat codes for consoles have been around far longer than most PC games. ^ ^ v v < > < > B A Start since '86.

OT: See link in Signature.

Edited by Lashknife

The "real' gamers played DAoC, UO, and Everquest. We would play 19 hours just for half a bubble of experience at FINS. And if someone messed up and we died, we lost 4 entire bubbles. Death was hard, dying meant possibly losing all your gear. Actions had real consequences, rewards cost real effort, skill was based on how you played, not what gear you had. I stayed up 19 hours, skipping work the next morning/day just to hold a relic keep the mid's accidently stopped guarding just for 110 precious skill points that were used to buy 3 abilities... THREE... and I was tickled pink that we were able to hold them off. Thats right, you used to manually have to hold pvp gaines, all day and all night, in shifts, for realm bonus', otherwise it could be a one month long campaign to recapture realm gaines. This was the era of gaming, and we were gamers.

And then WoW came along and turned a whole bunch of whiney *****es into "gamers" who whined and *****ed a lot. QQ'ing over dying penalties, QQ'ing over how long it takes to reach max level, QQing cause they wanted everything playing an hour a day 2 or 3 days a week. Gaming went from being "the journey to the top" to "lyke, omg, ur armor is teh suckz" at max level. It became about calculus, spreadsheets, 1 extra percent of damage, and endlessly, mindlessly, doing the same repetitive thing over and over for nothing at "end game".

So, to answer your question, what happened to real gamers? If WoW was your first experience into gaming, you will never, ever know, haha

Disclaimer: No whiney brats were actually harmed in the typing of this post. This post is intended 60% for good natured humor, 30% nostalgia, and 10% ribbing. People offended should put their big boy panties on and get over it ;)

+1 for this

Its about attitude the real gaming not about game,

If somebody drops out of work for five years and does more than 8 hours game its pretty serious commitment.

Especially if these people are more than one and form a group.

Right now I don't think there is a game would be so new and exciting that people would make such commitments.

SWTOR Is just fine but its not exciting new concept. Not sure should every game be. Just entertaining.

They had kids.

Those kids are now playing MMOs along side them.

1) WoW and others were second generation MMOs. With improved systems and shaping of the MMO idea that comes with that.

2) WoW did do more popular advertising; Star Wars comes with its own merely because of the franchise.

3) Hence, more non traditional gamers involved in MMOs. Hence, less hardcore gaming elements.

4) Hardcore gamers go to EveOnline.

We reverted back to playing the original mmo's we fell in love with since there mostly free to play now. Also in terms of the fan base of WoW of 6+7 years ago there finally out high school and realize they don't have time to drink blizzards kool aid anymore.

They had kids.

Those kids are now playing MMOs along side them.

1) WoW and others were second generation MMOs. With improved systems and shaping of the MMO idea that comes with that.

2) WoW did do more popular advertising; Star Wars comes with its own merely because of the franchise.

3) Hence, more non traditional gamers involved in MMOs. Hence, less hardcore gaming elements.

4) Hardcore gamers go to EveOnline.

1) And somehow, some way, Blizzard started catering to the adolecents even more than before.

2) Unfortunately true, in the case of WoW. Star Wars pretty much sells itself, so in full agreement there.

3) And I, for one, am grateful. EVE is my Hardcore game, so I am enjoying the relaxation that comes with playing TOR. Not a huge fan of a "Hardcore" TOR argument.

4) EVE is there for when I get hungry again. :D

Edited by Captain_Zone

I tried one raid. It was four hours unalleviated boredom.

The answer to the OP question is that millions of us view a game as something to putz around with to while away an idle hour or two from time to time, not a "commitment."

I hate to use WoW as a reference!

In my experience WoW players were and revilled for NOT being gamers... for expecting everything to be handed to them and done for them.. Infact any serious MMO players/gamers I know look on WoW the same way they would an early learning book.

In my experience WoW players were and revilled for NOT being gamers... for expecting everything to be handed to them and done for them.. Infact any serious MMO players/gamers I know look on WoW the same way they would an early learning book.

Yes, that Naxx 40 loot was really just handed to you without you being needed to put in any effort. Really?

/facepalm

The question proposed by the OP as far as the title goes is based upon a false presumption that HE knows what a "real gamer" is, he doesn't.

Real gamers are anyone that plays games, I have never yet come across "imaginary gamers".

A.I. has gotten nowhere near being able to represent a real gamer so that isn't a reasonable alternative.

Pigeon-holing people & trying to classify people into different sub-groups is a false exercise, depending upon what point in time you started playing videogames your perspective of what a "real gamer" is will be different, which means the label itself becomes essentially meaningless when you try to correlate all the varieties of it's connotations.

So if you did decide to get specific, you'd narrow it down to "people that started gaming at the same time as me" then further narrowed to "people that played as long as I did" then moreso "people that played the same game as me" & on & on until you would be left with just you, all alone as the only player exactly like you.

... When did gaming become an entitlement?...

And WoW players' posts on their forum were any different? I think not. I play that sink-hole for about 3 months before getting fed up with the mindless pointlessness of it. At least TOR feels like a moving story. Besides, it's a GAME, entertainment, not some sort of "challenge" to be beaten to prove something. Anyone who plays any game for the purpose of "proving something" (whatever that "something" may be) is... lame is about the nicest word I can think of here.

Yes, that Naxx 40 loot was really just handed to you without you being needed to put in any effort. Really?

/facepalm

Compared to previous games mentioned (daoc - Ultima etc) yes..... yes it was without an effort.

Actually, i would agree with you if you said that because of the qq'ers you had to raid with, it feels like an effort.

Nothing beats a keep defense at overwhelming odds and still win because the community was there for each other, and talked about mistakes that happened instead of ragequitting.

Ah well. everything changes, might aswell make the best of it (thank god DAOC still exist after 10 years) lets see wow in 3 years how that evolved.

I have to agree with the OP. I played CoH/CoV which came out just a hair before WoW....I just shut my subs down a couple months ago to devote my time to this one. The nostalgia of CoV is still there. Grinding a Task Force until you have to leave for work, running with your "crew" farming to level up that new class that was released in a game expansion, coming up with the most wicked builds to be able to solo a boss that was designed to be brought down by no less than 3-4 players....... PvP was like a whole other game and when you got tired of PvE...you changed your whole build to PvP for a few months.... It goes on and on.....

But.... like many have said in this post in one way or another.... nothing will ever compare to that flash-addiction of your first MMO... Especially when it kept you a solid subber for over 7 years. You could tell stories of awesomeness attack by attack and move by move from 7 years ago because it is imprinted in your noodle... Before there were credit farmers and spam emails....before those people took over game economies, when your "crew" actually came up with the workarounds for the endless bugs that plagued the game... It was all so fun..

Now....we are the toughest critics of anything new that comes out... Our standards and expectations are set to "blow me away with this game....like the first one did"... but in truth... It will take a whole new gaming technology era to give us what we had 6-8yrs ago..... I say this because I can... My first online multi-player game ever was Trade Wars.... ladies and gentlemen... no graphics...Telnet based...text based game with other players.. Yet your mind created the graphics....and it took skill with those commands to win a 6-9 month match.. Trade Wars is still out there.... hard to find..but people still play it.... Then came my MMO.....a whole new era and addiction....

So some say gamers have changed.... they have... but this is just as new to them as ours were to us... We just already have "live beta" under our belts....so we expect perfection from these new MMOs....