Server population is dropping...

Miffy

Actually, the mistake they made was listening to thousands upon thousands upon thousands of whine posts about the first couple of weeks' wait times. This was bound to happen. They should have let people wait instead of opening a gajillion servers.

That, and get rid of the instancing system. But I suspect they haven't because the engine has problems dealing with all the players at once.

They really need to merge servers now. I've been in Taris the last couple of days, and the place is a ghost town. Lots of HC4 quests and nobody to do them with on my server.

Get rid of instancing? Are you daft or do you just have no grasp of the technical side of online games? The lag is already bad for some people and you suggest no instancing. Yeah, brilliant, that'll fix everything.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Server merges, transfers, and/or a nice LFG system need to be implemented soon. People say it will ruin the sense of community but how is sitting for an hour on a planet of 10-20 people or going to the fleet at prime time and doing the same fruitlessly promoting any sense of community? It is tedious, gets old fast, and makes you just want to give up on trying to group...thus ironically killing the whole community principle. I would rather be able to queue up and play with people on the fly quickly to do social flashpoints and the like than play in the ghost town that is my server. For those that live by the illusion that server pops are not on the decline please check the facts, here is my server for the last 60 days:

http://www.torstatus.net/the-shadowlands/history/7d#!/the-shadowlands/trends/60d

Feb 1st we averaged 20% light population throughout the day, fast forward to now and regardless of dips and spikes we are at 60%+. Good times.

The server I play on is light. But it's consistently light. From the past 60 days, there is no real noticeable increase or decrease in population.

I think you guys are just over reacting to obvious trends. If there are more people in a server, there is going to be a higher percentage of people who decide to leave. That's just basic probability.

We might hear a response about mergers after 1.2 is released. If fewer people than anticipated come back to the game, then we might get mergers. As a public company they can't do anything that makes it look like the game is failing unless they absolutely have to, even if doing something sooner would be good for players.

I wouldnt hold my breath on mergers!

This game was suppose to rival WOW for years

To start merging servers 4 months in is to signal outright failure!

No, even though those of us playing know the servers are dead, as long as the servers dont get merged and lessened they can spin it with "we have blah blah blah servers and have never had to lower their count" and you just know the yesman fanbois will run with that to the end of time as proff positive the population not shrinking.

At best we might get PAID character transfers were you pay a micro transaction amount per character to be transfered somewhere.

Sorry folks, if your hopeing for transfers and or merges, best find a busy server and reroll there, or learn to accept yourlimited player pool currently. The optics of offering up merges and transfers right now would raise a huge signal to the stockholders.

PS: I did reroll from a dead RP server with mid teen numbers during prime time to a rocking server with 100+ on every planet during primetime. That was 7 weeks ago. Today between 7pm and 11 pm on Alderaan there was never more then 16 people (counting myself) on planet. At 11 pm on fleet there was 8 people!

Edited by Kalfear

I wouldnt hold my breath on mergers!

This game was suppose to rival WOW for years

No, even though those of us playing know the servers are dead, as long as the servers dont get merged and lessened they can spin it with "we have blah blah blah servers and have never had to lower their count" and you just know the yesman fanbois will run with that to the end of time as proff positive the population not shrinking.

At best we might get PAID character transfers were you pay a micro transaction amount per character to be transfered somewhere.

Sorry folks, if your hopeing for transfers and or merges, best find a busy server and reroll there, or learn to accept yourlimited player pool currently. The optics of offering up merges and transfers right now would raise a huge signal to the stockholders.

This is exactly why they need to merge servers ASAP, everything you said is true and I agree.

Ill use myself as an example, I will never reroll on a different server, because I hate relevelling, especially in a game that has such a linear leveling system, you have to do the exact same quests the whole time.

So the options in my mind are either stick it out on my server that is slowly, perpetually killing itself due to its now low population, or quit the game. Right now the thing holding me to the game is community, having rivals in pvp to fight against, and actually knowing them. My guild dominates the pvp and has actually made people quit the game, it happens. Without people, I have no reason to stay...

And making server groups or battle groups for wz's is a half assed solution to this problem.

I personally believe this to be a major issue and should be remedied as soon as possible. Even just start by merging 2 servers together and seeing how it goes, and then go from there.

The past few weeks my friends list is rarely above 0, fleet pop has been dropping. My guild grows only because we pick up scraps from guilds that have fallen apart due to people leaving.

PLEASE HEAR OUR PRAYERS!!

This is flawed logic. If they don't merge servers they are driving more players away, who cares if a few gaming websites will post the news and then there will be a bunch of kids in the comments saying how it's already dying? screw them, I want to play WITH OTHER PEOPLE. merge the servers already bioware.

Edited by LexiCazam
Inappropriate content

This is flawed logic. If they don't merge servers they are driving more players away, who cares if a few gaming websites will post the news and then there will be a bunch of kids in the comments saying how it's already dying? screw them, I want to play WITH OTHER PEOPLE. merge the servers already bioware.

They made a mistake of rolling out new servers because 2% of the gamers came on the forums complaining about queues and threatening to quit if Bioware doesn't do anything about it.

They got into this mess for listening to the fans and making knee-jerk decisions based on the forums.

Personally, I think they are waiting after 1.2 before deciding whether to merge. Asia-Pacific players will get free transfers in late April, conveniently after 1.2.

Edited by LexiCazam
IC - quote

LOL, this is about the stock holders/investors/profit margins and appearence

Not to be rude but you, me, joe, jane, ect dont matter if they dont hit a certain market share. Short of that its how much you can spin to make it look more then it is.

If you want to play with others, reroll is your option, they are not going to merge any time soon.

Went through this in Rift, went through this in DAoC, SWG, and more

Perception and appearance > player satisfaction in this catagory!

Unless they can do it and increase profits at same time, which is why Micro transaction funded character transfers wouldnt shock me as that would increase income levels why maintaining appearences.

Edited by LexiCazam
IC - quote

Just food for thought... Rift had server xfers about 6 months after launch. People don't acknowledge the fact that this game has only been out for a coupke months... JUST REROLL. I did a couple weeks ago from (according to the charts) third least populated server on the entire list! To one that is generally standard capacity, and I couldn't be happier. It's well worth starting over. You can make new friends, trust me.

They made a mistake of rolling out new servers because 2% of the gamers came on the forums complaining about queues and threatening to quit if Bioware doesn't do anything about it.

They got into this mess for listening to the fans and making knee-jerk decisions based on the forums.

Personally, I think they are waiting after 1.2 before deciding whether to merge. Asia-Pacific players will get free transfers in late April, conveniently after 1.2.

They had to add new servers, 4-6 hour queues were driving people away.

What they didn't do is plan to deal with merging servers when the intial surge wore off.

Instead they had their "staggered access" plan which didn't nothing to really help the situation, and in fact made it a lot worse on many servers.

Some of us play with family and spent hours on our toons. If they do not want to move what then? what if you are in full rakata gear and you have to start over? I mean i understand legacy would be an issue with people with the same name switch servers. make it so they have to change their names. Edited by LordTie

4-6 hours? You're joking. Maybe 1 hour at most.

Nope I and everyone on my two main servers sat in many 4-6 hours queues during early access and just after Live.

Staggered early access and Guild access compounded this.

I saw 3 hours during EA, not on my server, but i saw it on the server screen.

Thier queue timer didn't seem very accurate past about 2 hours, people were literally logging in a lunch time to play (hopefully) at 6pm.

Edited by Goretzu

i am on flames of the crucible server. on tatooine doing quests this morning there was 4 people on the whole of tatooine, i go to fleet and 12 people in whole on there. i que for an hour and half to get into pvp and only lasted 5 mins before said closing as not enough people .

i know some will just say reroll on a different server but thats not an option. i play for about 12 hours per week so my lvl 35 and 28 took me a while to lvl. and apart from the story line quests the others get very repeatitive even more if you lvling an alt .

please hurry and merge because if it stays like this even if the game was free to play i wouldnt play, as at mo this game is just a single player game with heroic 2/4 quests i cant do .

In an MMO without instant gratifaction tools like LFG. People would know who was what on your server. If you were a ninja, Your name would get around the server, which would get you black listed. A community built, people got to know peoples rolls and classes. Idiots would be outed and black listed and the server balance would take effect. At the moment in WoW, people log in, push a button, jump in an instance with no community ties. people ninja with no back lash. people act like idiots with no back lash as they know all that they have to do is join another queue.

No thanks!

Server merge yes, Cross server LFG no thanks.

In a perfect society... This is just an idealistic view. You imagine a big server, with an ability to quickly to any FP and stuff, where everyone knows each other and the evil guys are being blacklisted. Seriously, do you really believe in this? All this server community and how perfect it is is a myth. LFG is what we need.

Edited by NoTomorrow

i am on flames of the crucible server. on tatooine doing quests this morning there was 4 people on the whole of tatooine, i go to fleet and 12 people in whole on there. i que for an hour and half to get into pvp and only lasted 5 mins before said closing as not enough people .

i know some will just say reroll on a different server but thats not an option. i play for about 12 hours per week so my lvl 35 and 28 took me a while to lvl. and apart from the story line quests the others get very repeatitive even more if you lvling an alt .

please hurry and merge because if it stays like this even if the game was free to play i wouldnt play, as at mo this game is just a single player game with heroic 2/4 quests i cant do .

So what you're saying is that there aren't that many people online early morning on a Wednesday?

;)

Wednesday morning mate, most people would be getting ready for work or already at work depending on how early you were on, i mean really many people have a typical 9-5 job or something close to it, your not going to find high numbers during the time you play regardless of the servers population..

The server I play on is light. But it's consistently light. From the past 60 days, there is no real noticeable increase or decrease in population.

I think you guys are just over reacting to obvious trends. If there are more people in a server, there is going to be a higher percentage of people who decide to leave. That's just basic probability.

No, we're not over reacting. My server, The Kumumgah, can't even start a WZ anymore, cause most 50s rerolled or left. We're aprox 10 50s online in the evening. And that's empire side. Around 60 online on all planets and flashpoints..... 60 ppl on a server is not over reacting, it's a damn crisis....

Really, i play on French server, and it's become worst and worst everydays, we lost a **** LOAD of player those last month... it's a pain to say, but i think with all those class imbalance player are disgusted and flee for other MMO..

At peak even crowded Fr server are like 100 player on each side.... "Colony indeed"

on giradda the hutt, the ques pop every 10 mins or so in the evenings, but the rest of the day is dead. If you play off hours (night or morns or early afternoon), it's pretty much a big ol FU trying to get anything done group wise. Id hope theyd add in cross server lfg just to help with this if nothing else.

There's no hope, leaving 3 lvl 50's behind since 20 people in the fleet during primetime is a gosh darn joke. Not sure i'll reroll or i'll play a game where i actually can play with people.

Do what I did, play the free trial of rift. That game was pretty lame at launch but now it's really good. If you like it, then cool. If not, well it's not like it cost you anything. I'm actually switching to that game and having two of my friends from this game join me. If you have a good computer and can run it on max settings... Jesum crow that game looks amazing.

Edited by Ulmius