Server population is dropping...

Miffy

I can't believe I read through 100 posts before skipping to the end.

It's clear to me that server populations are having an issue. I was thinking about rerolling on another server but as it seems to be a global issue, I will keep leveling on my current server as I weigh my options.

While I don't like the idea of almost exclusively soloing in an MMO, the other MMO I play is almost all group play which has its own issues. I like many aspects of the game, and have yet to cap, so I'll wait it out. I still have 60 days remaining in my subscription.

If I don't like what I see after that, I'd rather stop paying than complain about it as there are simply too many other games to try.

my .02c

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because another company made a great car and you have the blue prints; doesn't mean you can make a car yourself with the same handling characteristics no matter how hard you try.

Regardless of leasons learned bugs fixed you have to understand that once you introduce another engine it all is moot you have to start from scrtach; even doing the same thing requires a completely different approach and programming which you have to learn for yourself.

It is not from scratch at all. You have your blueprtints, you have clear idea of do's and don'ts. People who code the new engine have to start from scratch. People designing this engine have as many ideas, mistakes and lessons at their disposal as they could ask for.

Many of TOR's malfunctions, ones I am finding hardest to forgive, aren't just question of some finer, more complex and borderline subjective " mistakes" in depths of the game engine requiring polish. It is question of dozens of easy to fix irrationalities people have been whining since Beta still remaining.

Game merrily went through 2-3 months of borderline public Beta testing, launch and first four months of it's existance with UI that has debuffs, buffs and procs harder to spot than player character's level, face, name and class. In terms of " Ok. New game..I can overlook and forgive this without getting pissed off" - scale, this isn't slight miscalibration in carburettor causing the car to spend an extra 0.00001 gallons of gasoline/mile.. it is a nine inch nails sticking from driver's seat with pointy end upwards. TOR has loads of mistakes present that should be easy to avoid, easy to spot and easy to fix. Mistakes that have been public knowledge since Beta. Yet it is taking them over six months to get rid of them. This pisses people off. This drives people away.

Edited by Stradlin

Compairing tor to wow at launch is just retarded it 2012 and should be compaired to 2012 wow all of the wow updates that took year to develope mean there already around now and should added with ease. Why would any company say hey ima make a game tto compete with a version of another game from 10 years ago. Andd to the topic most servers are light to standard dead and this is only a few months after launch that's a sign something is wrong with what they are doing

It isn't just question of some finer, more complex and borderline subjective " mistakes" in depths of the game engine requiring polish. It is question of dozens of easy to fix irrationalities people have been whining since Beta still remaining.

Game merrily went through 2-3 months of borderline public Beta testing, launch and first four months of it's existance with UI that has debuffs, buffs and procs harder to spot than player character's level, name and class. In terms of " Ok. New game..I can overlook and forgive this without getting pissed off" - scale, this isn't slight miscalibration in carburettor causing the car to spend an extra 0.00001 gallons of gasoline/mile.. it is a 9 inch nails sticking from driver's seat with pointy end upwards.

Ie. it pisses people off.

I understand. There are things that drive me up the wall too. Some are design desicions I would have made differently, others are purely based on time. While we can debate what area we would focus on if we were in charge; we have to understand that with limited time they can only do so much.

Personally, all the unfinished stuff i blame on the 'space content is required' posts we had when they first announced the game. The reason why space feels so slapped together is that it was a 'last second' addition they had not planned on doing at all. It stole dev time from other aspects of the game.

Now that the game is released, they have teams working on different aspects and project managers trying to put it all together into patches that don't completely break the game.

They are inexperienced with this step of development; even the illustrious WoW had growing pains early on as the dev's learned lessons and smoothed out maintenance times and patches and got good at not breaking the game between patches.

TLDR: I get it the game isn't all it can be; but hopefully they will get there after some growing pains, this is their first MMO.

Seriously people, you are way too much "high-fed". By that i mean, you expect impossible things. You seriosly do not realize what some features cost. Money, energy, time and you still whine.

Have patience, for god's sake!

Everyday, i see someone compare swtor to wow. I hate those comparements but if you already compare those games, you should compare SWTOR now to WoW at realease.

QUOTE]

Can't. At the Time WOW was fresh and new this is not, so they have to be better than WOW or what's the point.

Honestly people will not stick around when they have options to go back to wow or some other F2P mmo.

And stop being so upset no one is saying the game will fail. Most are just saying "myself included" I'm not going to keep paying money to not play with anyone.

what are you smoking? 75% of servers are lightly populated...the only new subs they are getting are from asia/australia because the game just launched there...north american servers are drying up fast!

At peak, 65% are standard and 10% are heavy or very heavy, leaving 25% at light.

Haven't read through all the posts after me, although I've seen someone saying that Swtor should be better than WoW because of the time BW had to learn from Blizzard's faults.

Just to clear that up, BioWare began development on The Old Republic in December 2005. Which is a year after WoW release. Now tell me how BW could learn from their faults... when you are starting your own huge project, you don't really look at other works.

They could have kept up with Blizzard and actually copy their ideas, just with better functions etc. but that would be really lame wouldn't it?

To the person who again mentioned this "WoW clone". Do you know that your pretty WoW is also a clone? - Orcs, Elves, Dwarves, other species of elves... they all were in LOTR, which, as we all know was written through 1930-49... that is more or less 60 years before WoW, beat that...