Early Access 'Waves' - Updating Here

StephenReid

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

THIS SAYS IT ALL!! COPY AND PASTE SO THEY GET THE MESSAGE!

Originally Posted by Kinegos

This isn't a troll, and isn't exactly QQ although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that I've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other MMO games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

When you are dealing with a pre-launch even that is only for pre-order customers, after an extensive and massive beta testing period that was a huge success according to nearly all sources involved - it begs the huge question as to what is the limiting factor in the way you have chosen to roll out this game. I personally participated in the beta in a very limited way (not by choice, mind you, I just wasn't lucky enough to get a key) and was only online during the big Thanksgiving weekend test. That test was wonderful - there were a huge number of servers, and a huge population of testers. The game performance was amazing.

So, EA/BW - what exactly are you afraid of?

The ONLY way this should have been done is to have given ALL pre-orders (perhaps separated only by level of game purchased - i.e. CE customers get 7 days, SE get 5, e.g.) access at exactly the same time. Of course it will overload the servers and queues would ensue and all that - but that's what we all expect. Making your customers wait unknowingly with no idea how long it will be or when to expect an email is just adding insult to injury. A poor alternative would have been to send out emails with a set time and day that your access would be available.

I read in the top post how you are monitoring the server performance and are rolling waves based on server performance. Are you seriously saying you have to wonder at this point if your servers can perform up to the task - when you probably still have 90% of the launch day players yet to even be able to play? That is not at all a good message to be sending at the beginning of an MMO franchise.

At any rate, I love this game. I love BW. But I truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

I truly hope you improve, because this is a very very poor way to start out.

100% true

This has got to be the dumbest launch I have ever heard of. I was all on board the staggered stuff, it made sense.. and was looking like it was working fine this morning.

Now though you guys stop at lunchtime?!?!? Please explain to me how that makes any sense. You slowly staggered in groups once every two hours or so and then just stop until tommorow? I could buy into that if you were spacing them out every 4 or 5 hours... but this is a load of crap. Unless something broke, everything should be running smoothly and the every couple hour schedule should be kept going. I fail to see any reason to stop now... one way or another your gonna have all these people on your servers at once... Why antagonize your soon to be paying customers by further delaying it. What will make 8am tommorow so different then 3:30pm today?

Amen brotha'

Its not free its included with the PURCHASE....

No, it's not. You paid for the game to play at launch. Early Access was a bonus that was given to those that pre-orderd that did not have to be given. Plain and simple. You paid for game access at launch, not pre-launch.

Ok for all you guys who say you understand let me say this ....

WHAT HAPPENS ON THE 20TH WHEN EVERYONE CAN LOG IN, WILL THE SERVERS HANDLE IT THEN?

If you answered yes, then WHATS THE DIFFERENCE IF THEY INVITE EVERYONE NOW OR THEN

If you answered NO, Then Does it matter?

Heres a hint, IT SHOULDNT MATTER. SO INVITE EVERYONE DUH

Stress? wow go outside or something.

i am with u and all the other 90% of people that are mad about this only 5 wave bs, they should have people on 24/7 getting this game open to all those who went and pre-order, we did our part Bioware ,NOW DO YOURS...

Remove this : Early Game Access Has Begun

Fans who have pre-ordered STAR WARS: The Old Republic can now begin playing the game!

It's up on the main page. Kinda umm falls ads?

Exactly. BioWare has gone above and beyond on that marketing ploy.

They need to let everyone in so their servers crash. /rage off

On a serious note, if they claim this is launch day, then they need to be equal about allowing everyone in on today's date. I'm not going to worry about time, but the should have at least allowed everyone into the game TODAY at some point.

This isn't a troll, and isn't exactly QQ although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that I've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other MMO games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

When you are dealing with a pre-launch even that is only for pre-order customers, after an extensive and massive beta testing period that was a huge success according to nearly all sources involved - it begs the huge question as to what is the limiting factor in the way you have chosen to roll out this game. I personally participated in the beta in a very limited way (not by choice, mind you, I just wasn't lucky enough to get a key) and was only online during the big Thanksgiving weekend test. That test was wonderful - there were a huge number of servers, and a huge population of testers. The game performance was amazing.

The ONLY way this should have been done is to have given ALL pre-orders (perhaps separated only by level of game purchased - i.e. CE customers get 7 days, SE get 5, e.g.) access at exactly the same time. Of course it will overload the servers and queues would ensue and all that - but that's what we all expect. Making your customers wait unknowingly with no idea how long it will be or when to expect an email is just adding insult to injury. A poor alternative would have been to send out emails with a set time and day that your access would be available.

I read in the top post how you are monitoring the server performance and are rolling waves based on server performance. Are you seriously saying you have to wonder at this point if your servers can perform up to the task - when you probably still have 90% of the launch day players yet to even be able to play? That is not at all a good message to be sending at the beginning of an MMO franchise.

At any rate, I love this game. I love BW. But I truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

After boasting your servers were coping with 750000 people during the beta you let a trickle of players into your servers and stop after only 9hours of waves. You've let barely 200k in - each server (which you happily boasted about) can handle 80-100k.

Complete joke of a system.

The worst thing is the constant cryptic BS messages your company has posted on twatter and other mediums teasing that lots would get in.. You've failed to delivery epically.

You managed to let in 6 days of pre-order, you've now killed any sort of game economy and given a select "elitist" few a massive headstart and advantage irrespective of server.

Bunch of ***** your company.

/5char

Ok, I have to ask, but honestly, whats 5 bucks now a days? I make less then 30K a year as a teacher and I still consider $5 a great deal to have my name thrown in a hat to get a chance to get early access. People mad about the $5 have never had to pay a cover charge of any kind, ergo making them either kids or boring people who don't drink.

I'll let you believe that.

Despite having paid $20 to get into "massives", hell the prices still range between $5 and $25, sometimes $180 if you're going to South Florida events. Not to mention paying for movies, etc.

$5 these days is a pack of smokes, or a 1.78 gallons of gas where I live, it's money, doesn't matter how much, it was still paid.

I'm not mad about waiting, I'm just mad they quit after six hours, and didn't even get through July, which sets a very sombre prediction for tomorrow and Thursday.

I don't even want to imagine the 20th, I mean ideally NOW would be the best time to test "Everyone log in at once and see if the login server can handle it" instead of the day the game goes LIVE, since they didn't even do that with their stress test.

Ah well, they'll learn, and hemorrhage capital gain in the process.