Early Access 'Waves' - Updating Here

StephenReid

Does anyone else find it a little screwed up that we payed a $5.00 pre-order fee for pre-ordering the game, only to be told that we have to wait longer to play because we didn't give them money quicker than others?

I mean, if I am already paying more for the game just to have the digital special edition and I am paying more for giving them the money before they have even launched their game which makes things more convenient for them, shouldn't I be entitled to play the full 7 days of Early Access?

That $5 dollars would account for what is 33% of a month's subscription which accounts for nearly 10 days of game play based on a 30 day month.

(based on the subscription price of other games '$14.99' )

This is a fee I payed merely for their own convenience of having received payment for a copy of their game before it has been released.

Our pre-order has provided them perspective on what they can expect when the game starts. How powerful to build their servers and their connections and to tweak any settings based on the server preformance from beta vs. the amount of people who have pre-ordered.

This has all been for their convenience and preparation.

So why should we be paying an extra fee only to be discriminated amongst those who have all paid this fee, based upon when they paid this fee?

- Early Access should be open to all who have paid for it.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by Kinegos

This isn't a troll, and isn't exactly QQ although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that I've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other MMO games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

When you are dealing with a pre-launch even that is only for pre-order customers, after an extensive and massive beta testing period that was a huge success according to nearly all sources involved - it begs the huge question as to what is the limiting factor in the way you have chosen to roll out this game. I personally participated in the beta in a very limited way (not by choice, mind you, I just wasn't lucky enough to get a key) and was only online during the big Thanksgiving weekend test. That test was wonderful - there were a huge number of servers, and a huge population of testers. The game performance was amazing.

So, EA/BW - what exactly are you afraid of?

The ONLY way this should have been done is to have given ALL pre-orders (perhaps separated only by level of game purchased - i.e. CE customers get 7 days, SE get 5, e.g.) access at exactly the same time. Of course it will overload the servers and queues would ensue and all that - but that's what we all expect. Making your customers wait unknowingly with no idea how long it will be or when to expect an email is just adding insult to injury. A poor alternative would have been to send out emails with a set time and day that your access would be available.

I read in the top post how you are monitoring the server performance and are rolling waves based on server performance. Are you seriously saying you have to wonder at this point if your servers can perform up to the task - when you probably still have 90% of the launch day players yet to even be able to play? That is not at all a good message to be sending at the beginning of an MMO franchise.

At any rate, I love this game. I love BW. But I truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

I truly hope you improve, because this is a very very poor way to start out.

^^ THAT

Because I couldn't find the original post to quote ...

wow ok do you agree with this or not? I think its a good idea so they DON'T overload the surver numnuts. If the survers overload it means that they have to shut down ALL of the survers to find the *********** problem. I really hate it when people like you say things like this. THINK BEFORE YOU SAY SOMETHING STUPID!!!! I do it every day then say something stupid anyways. just to mess with people.

After boasting your servers were coping with 750000 people during the beta you let a trickle of players into your servers and stop after only 9hours of waves. You've let barely 200k in - each server (which you happily boasted about) can handle 80-100k.

Complete joke of a system.

The worst thing is the constant cryptic BS messages your company has posted on twatter and other mediums teasing that lots would get in.. You've failed to delivery epically.

You managed to let in 6 days of pre-order, you've now killed any sort of game economy and given a select "elitist" few a massive headstart and advantage irrespective of server.

Bunch of ***** your company.

I don't wholly disagree with you.

i am with u and all the other 90% of people that are mad about this only 5 wave bs, they should have people on 24/7 getting this game open to all those who went and pre-order, we did our part Bioware ,NOW DO YOURS...

quoted wrong guy, but just the same

This isn't a troll, and isn't exactly QQ although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that I've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other MMO games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

When you are dealing with a pre-launch even that is only for pre-order customers, after an extensive and massive beta testing period that was a huge success according to nearly all sources involved - it begs the huge question as to what is the limiting factor in the way you have chosen to roll out this game. I personally participated in the beta in a very limited way (not by choice, mind you, I just wasn't lucky enough to get a key) and was only online during the big Thanksgiving weekend test. That test was wonderful - there were a huge number of servers, and a huge population of testers. The game performance was amazing.

The ONLY way this should have been done is to have given ALL pre-orders (perhaps separated only by level of game purchased - i.e. CE customers get 7 days, SE get 5, e.g.) access at exactly the same time. Of course it will overload the servers and queues would ensue and all that - but that's what we all expect. Making your customers wait unknowingly with no idea how long it will be or when to expect an email is just adding insult to injury. A poor alternative would have been to send out emails with a set time and day that your access would be available.

I read in the top post how you are monitoring the server performance and are rolling waves based on server performance. Are you seriously saying you have to wonder at this point if your servers can perform up to the task - when you probably still have 90% of the launch day players yet to even be able to play? That is not at all a good message to be sending at the beginning of an MMO franchise.

At any rate, I love this game. I love BW. But I truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

^^THIS

i know its only the first day and were lucky to have early access (those who will get it ofc) but 5 waves of e-mails per day and there not even in august yet is realy bad start for an MMO. (all these comments prove its bad). whats wrong with sending out through the night or at least until midnight bst (20:26 here UK).

mines October and the way its going i recon i'll get 1 days early access be supprised if i get one tomorrow, very missleading "up to 5 days" exteded to 7 thought i'd get longer.

Says the guy who is playing the game. Oh yes lets thank them for providing a poor sevice for which we PAID for.

As customers we have every right to be disgruntled by the complete lack of communication shown by BW regarding this wave system.

BW is seriously being SOE with the CU/NGE incident, no communications means a bad business.

I really hope you guys read what this guy wrote- hella people posting and agreeing with it.

Sadly, I have nothing to do today, except read the forums. (and pack my suitcase for Friday, but I need everything I'd be packing up so the idea is lost).

I wont rage, scream, kick, and cry... But it would have been nice to get in today. *shrugs* Who wants to go out for lunch!

Just because someone is an idiot and thinks that something that says "may play up to 5 days early" means "WILL play 5 days early" does not mean that they lied.

You, sir, are a moron.

to be fair, the term "may" is semantically vague.

May can mean "are allowed to"

You may have a piece of pie = confirmation that you are allowed.

May can also mean "might be allowed to"

You may have a piece of pie = statement that you possible will be able to.

The more important term is "up to"

Up to 100% off! Could mean 0%, could mean 100%.

The bottomline is they were vague. If they had surprised everyone by starting early. I would have kept the 15th as the original "this is when i can play" date.

They are throwing around terms like BONUS WAVE like its some sort of favor that they're allowing us in to the game we paid for.

It's also a perceived slap in the face by those who did in fact preorder very early but not early enough. This sort of favoritism will not do well in the long run.

Their twitter feed and the way this has been handled just reeks of inexperience, and clouds an otherwise really great launch concept.

all they needed to do was tell people in advance when they'd be able to play. Giving a window and having bonuses to the window's fluctuation just sounds like they don't know what they're doing.

Of course, all the rage will go away after people get in. But it would have been better to avoid the rage by sending out a simple email a week ago telling people when they'd get in.

Yeah, no kidding. I'm pissed to be sure but I'm sure as hell not going to be cancelling my preorder or anything like that. If anything, this just gets me thinking I'll just skip preordering the next game they give early game access to.

Early Access is Early Access...no matter how much or how little you get. Its ahead of all of the masses that wait til the game is released. I am happy about that. Besides...just because they havent told us all of the specifics (which they have 0 responsibilty to do so) as to why things are being done the way they are - they DO have their reasons, and I trust that because of their reasons I will have a smooth time when I do get Early Access.

There is really no reason for everyone to be so angry. At all. ;)