PSA: Rail Shot and you! (from a pt)

wwkingms

hi folks!

im here to educate on a little known evil

you see pt pyro may be one of the least played builds in the game, however that doesnt change the absolute facerollness of the class!

why? instants.. and rail shot

why cast anything at all! or channel! gosh darn thats so annoying...

thermal detonator:

holy god i didnt need half my hp! good thing some friendly pt pyro was nice enough to toss this baby on me! (instant)

rail shot:

here we go

2/2 rail loaders: increases dmg of rail shot 6%

3/3 puncture : rail shot ignores 60% of the targets armor

2/2 superheated rail : rail shot ignores 30% of the targets armor and blah blah blah

3/3 rain of fire: blah blah blah and RAIL SHOT deal 9% more dmg to burning targets

2/2 firebug: increases the critical bonus dmg of blah blah blah and RAIL SHOT 30%

now RAIL SHOT is instant cast and on a short cooldown BUT WAIT!

3/3 prototype particle accelerator: flame burst (INSTANT AND SPAMMABLE) has a 30% chance and rocket punch (instant) has a 45% chance to reset the cd on rail shot and make it free!!!

so

thermal detontor (instant)

incendiary missile (instant)

lolrail shot (instant)

flame burst (instant)

rocket punch (insant)

lolrail shot again for the fk of it (instant)

did i miss anything?

rail shot WILL CRIT light armor wearer from 4-8k depending on gear/cooldowns

its instant and its cd can be easily refreshed

so can we leave sorcs alone for a bit?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, nerf sorcs please. Thank you.

my wrath proc +20% dmg chain lightning with BM power relic and rakata power adrenal from my full BM sorc.. will crit another full expertise sorc for at best 4k

and that number drops significantly jumping armor types

my 31 pt lightning talent?

a 9s cooldown, 2 s cast internal dmg spell?

with BM power relic and rakata power adrenal?

got it to crit for 3.2 ona fellow sorc... GOOD GOD

to get my wrath procs? i must stand still and channel

ever watch a bm pt pyro vs a bm sorc?

LOL DONT BLINK cause itll be done fast

"ok ill just stay max distance OH NOPE GRAPPLED"

"ok ill just interrupt him....... oh wait nope everythings instant"

"ok ill burst him down first.. oh nope shield up (25% dmg reduction) heavy armor and 17k~ hp"

i guess ill just get smoked

only classes that stand a chance vs pt pyro?

assasins - force shroud

marauders - slew of dmg reduction abititys

not one of those classes? then get teabagged by these faceroll monsters!

Rail shot will not crit for anything remotely like 8k. Ever.

If you go to the highest PVP damage thread in the Trooper forum you see that only two or three people have ever achieved a 5k annihilator medal in their careers. I am valor rank 70, have full BM gear and mods out of other pieces to replace accuracy with surge and have only ever had one 5k rail shot crit. And that was with the red expertise buff, a BM power relic and the 120 minute aim buff.

So I'd like to thank you for making stuff up.

Edited by Fafryd

If you go to the highest PVP damage thread in the Trooper forum you see that only two or three people have ever achieved a 5k annihilator medal in their careers. I am valor rank 70, have full BM gear and mods out of other pieces to replace accuracy with surge and have only ever had one 5k rail shot crit. And that was with the red expertise buff, a BM power relic and the 120 minute aim buff.

Pretty much this.

I don't see anyone whining about Operatives, Shadows, or Marauders having instant cast abilities.

Do Sorcs think that everyone should be tied to a cast bar simply because they picked a class that was tied to a cast bar? <.<

Did you not realize that was a disadvantage in PvP?

You also fail to mention the 0 escape methods that a Pyro PT has once engaged in combat, the terrible mobility, or the fact that they will drop like a rock if focused whatsoever.

But you're right, Pyro PTs will eat a Sorc alive for breakfast if they have any idea what they're doing, and that's the real reason you're here... right?

Edited by Varicite

idk what you're doign wrong

just clearify that you're a pt not a merc first

secondly.. the couple war hero pts on my server crit over 5k every match

ive had assasins tell me theyve been crit for 7 and change

glad ur still stacking surge though.. guess you didnt catch the memo

Edited by wwkingms

Pretty much this.

I don't see anyone whining about Operatives, Shadows, or Marauders having instant cast abilities.

Do Sorcs think that everyone should be tied to a cast bar simply because they picked a class that was tied to a cast bar? <.<

Did you not realize that was a disadvantage in PvP?

You also fail to mention the 0 escape methods that a Pyro PT has once engaged in combat, the terrible mobility, or the fact that they will drop like a rock if focused whatsoever.

But you're right, Pyro PTs will eat a Sorc alive for breakfast if they have any idea what they're doing, and that's the real reason you're here... right?

lolescape?

pt pyro is a melee range class.. they GRAPPLE THE ENEMIES TOWARD THEM

its other classses that try to escape from them

jeese dude

and its not just sorcs, its any non tanky class

i understand im blowing up your spot but the truth is out, pt pyro is more OP and faceroll than sorcs will ever be

Edited by wwkingms

1. lol 8k. getting 5k crit with railshot is EXTREMELY rare and requires a lot of stat stacking with exp buff/relic/adrenal. doable, but in a 1 out of 1000 kind of scenario and 90+% of the pyro pts out there it is literally impossible as they do not have the best of the best gear.

2. it is not sorc damage that is OP. it is their utility and their ability to escape. there is a reason why the vast majority of players/guilds will be stacking sorcs (not to the obscene levels like some suggest) when rated WZs come out, whereas having anymore than 2 pts in any WZ will pretty much ensure that team will automatically lose.

but please, keep making yourself look like a fool. im laughing so hard right now.

also, you realize that pyros have abysmal heat management (in regardles to flame burst being spammable) and that railshot has a 15 second CD without procs to reset it right?

Edited by Ryotknife

lolescape?

pt pyro is a melee range class.. they GRAPPLE THE ENEMIES TOWARD THEM

its other classses that try to escape from them

jeese dude

and its not just sorcs, its any non tanky class

i understand im blowing up your spot but the truth is out, pt pyro is more OP and faceroll than sorcs will ever be

I know it may be hard to follow this train of thought, but a melee class w/ no real defenses and no escape methods at all should do a lot of damage before they die.

It's not like we're Marauders who can just vanish, or stack defensive cds, or just become 99% immune to damage while still doing incredible damage and bringing unique utility in the form of buffs/debuffs.

Edited by Varicite

there is a reason why the vast majority of players/guilds will be stacking sorcs (not to the obscene levels like some suggest) when rated WZs come out, whereas having anymore than 2 pts in any WZ will pretty much ensure that team will automatically lose.

You have no idea how wrong you are...

you see pt pyro may be one of the least played builds in the game, however that doesnt change the absolute facerollness of the class!

As a BM Pyro Powertech, I had to LOL at all of your posts in this thread. Sounds to me like you keep getting owned and are crying about it.

Yes, we are one of the least played classes (probably next to Sniper). Yes, we can have some pretty crazy damage: 400K in a warzone is not uncommon. Yes, most of our abilities are instant cast. Yes, Rail Shot can ignore 90% of armor, refresh for free (via using other skills).

But no, Rail Shot will not melt 1/2 your health or crit for 8K. Ever. Even 5K is nearly impossible to get, I've only ever seen it once. Even BM geared, mine hit for around 4K if all the stars are aligned. I can slap 3 attacks on you that all proc at once and do nearly 8K damage, but that's not all coming from a single attack.

Our class is far from overpowered. If it were, there would be far more people playing Powertech.

Powertechs are the most OP class in the game takes no skill to play they can even wear the mercenary dps set for the crit boost to rail shot for more faceroll ezmode...The Dps Vanguards in my guild say its faceroll mode while they finish all our premades 600-900k dmg in warzones...5k-4k while dots ticking...16k in 5 seconds...balanced then they can pop the iwin bubble that absorbs a stupid amount of dmg..

Im going to be honest here folks, if you add a timer to our railshot refresh, you'll probably increase our dps more. Not only will you make it more consistant, but it'll be way easier to manage heat. I know that none of you QQ'ing kids actually play a PT because you'd WANT a timer attached to it. PLEASE add a timer to it so im guaranteed procs from now on. That'd be such a buff.

8K? I should really get me some of that tier 7 gear, my BM and rakatta tier 3 just isn't getting me those delicious 8k crits. I am in best in slot in ever slot gear and I have crit for 5k once on a sorc with 11k hp and obviously no resilience. Normally railshot does about 3.5k, against a geared player it does 3k against a less geared player a good 4.5k might be in the cards. It is not on a short cooldown its 17 seconds, that is not short in terms of a fight, yes RP and FB proc it. Thermal detonator hits for maaaaaaybe 3.5k on a good crit it's heat heavy and not really good a lot of PTs dont take it instead taking crit from AP instead.

Yes in 9% of fights you will get 3 railshots in 10 seconds and the person will be dead. In the other 91% of fights this won't happen, half the time you won't even get any railshot procs and then you're up ****creek, its very RNG based. Yeah it's pretty powerful but making **** up isnt helpful.

Sorcs get 7k bubbles every 15 seconds that's just as OP.

I can make **** up too.

8K? I should really get me some of that tier 7 gear, my BM and rakatta tier 3 just isn't getting me those delicious 8k crits. I am in best in slot in ever slot gear and I have crit for 5k once on a sorc with 11k hp and obviously no resilience. Normally railshot does about 3.5k, against a geared player it does 3k against a less geared player a good 4.5k might be in the cards. It is not on a short cooldown its 17 seconds, that is not short in terms of a fight, yes RP and FB proc it. Thermal detonator hits for maaaaaaybe 3.5k on a good crit it's heat heavy and not really good a lot of PTs dont take it instead taking crit from AP instead.

Yes in 9% of fights you will get 3 railshots in 10 seconds and the person will be dead. In the other 91% of fights this won't happen, half the time you won't even get any railshot procs and then you're up ****creek, its very RNG based. Yeah it's pretty powerful but making **** up isnt helpful.

Sorcs get 7k bubbles every 15 seconds that's just as OP.

I can make **** up too.

Pretty much this ^

Pyro isn't OP. If you add a guaranteed proc rate onto PPA, then it will be OP.

glad ur still stacking surge though.. guess you didnt catch the memo

Hate to break it to you.... but stacking power/surge on all your gear is still by far the best way to get your OP crits (once you have a little crit).... by far.

I've read your utter **** for a while and you aren't 1/10th the player you think you are.

Hate to break it to you.... but stacking power/surge on all your gear is still by far the best way to get your OP crits (once you have a little crit).... by far.

I've read your utter **** for a while and you aren't 1/10th the player you think you are.

Not to mention there is actually no way to not stack Surge besides keeping all those nice Accuracy mods in your gear. Your choices are either Power/Surge or Crit/Surge...

Powertechs are the most OP class in the game takes no skill to play they can even wear the mercenary dps set for the crit boost to rail shot for more faceroll ezmode...The Dps Vanguards in my guild say its faceroll mode while they finish all our premades 600-900k dmg in warzones...5k-4k while dots ticking...16k in 5 seconds...balanced then they can pop the iwin bubble that absorbs a stupid amount of dmg..

I have some beachfront property in Iowa for sale. Wanna buy it? You seem gullible enough.

Are you on crack? Vanguard here.

Yes PT/Vanguard Pryos/Hybrids have great damage potential, however we have a very limited resource pool combined with a heavy reliance on a Random Number Generator to proc abilities for our damage output. Any time you've been rolled quickly by either class is due to luck and is not in any way representative of ease/difficulty of the class.

I'll be using Vanguard terms as I haven't used my Powertech since I transferred to the Fatman.

You said yourself that Ion Pulse(Flame Burst) and StockStrike(Rocket Punch) have a 30% and 45% chance of refreshing the CD and giving a free High Impact Bolt (Rail Shot) each. That's 75/200% or a 37.5% chance of refreshing High Impact Bolt, Stockstrike is also on a 9 second cooldown, which would actually make it a slightly lower chance past it's first use after the initial Pulse/Shot rotation. Stockstrike, Ion Pulse, High Impact Bolt, Incendiary Round (Incendiary Missile) and Assault Plastique (Thermal Detonator) all have a 2 ammo cost for Vanguards, a Vanguard has 12 ammo. Also keep in mind that even though our High Impact Bolts do a lot of damage because of armor pen, it is also white damage so it has a pretty chance be avoided, blocked, shielded, etc against a properly geared player.

The opener for the Pyro would usually be Ion Pulse/Incediary Round to trigger the burning/shock followed by High Impact bolt, that's 3 ammo used for the opener because of the rails passive giving us back one ammo for hitting a burning player with the bolt/shot.

That is still 1/4th of our resource pool being used for our opener. If the player opened with Thermal Detonator for the extra initial burst that's up to 5 ammo used. leaving us close to half way exhausted of resources already. This is the only part of our damage that's reliable, what follows is ALL based on luck.

After that initial burst you would likely be in the situation where you have 3 ammo. You would then use Stockstrike being the higher chance ability to proc a free bolt, which is still less than half a chance to proc the ability.

This will put another 2 ammo on top of the your first which will leave you at 5 ammo considering you're going for a fast burst down on the enemy as a pyro. Best case scenario you get the proc and hit another rail shot. This will leave you at 4 ammo, not bad, now you have to rely on spamming an instant 2 ammo ability with laughable damage for a 30% chance to proc rail shot for a possible 9 seconds.

For this example I'll use a hypothetical example where it would take two uses of Ion Pulse to proc the next bolt. When we get lucky as a Pyrotech it may only take one, but mathematically if we proc it 30% of the time we miss the other 70% and more often then not end up landing long sequences of missed procs leaving us as sitting ducks having used all our resources trying to get that lucky proc.

If we use 2 Ion Pulses that's 4 ammo putting us up to 8 ammo, 2/3rds of our resources, after the passive from the high impact bolt we're left with 7 heat. For the sake of this hypothetical situation we'll repeat the previous rotation leaving us with 10 heat, enough for one more StockStrike that likely just came off cooldown assuming we didn't open with Assault Plastique and if we're lucky, end it with a proced High Impact Bolt.

So in that situation the attacks we used would be:

Ion Pulse->High Impact Bolt->StockStrike->High Impact Bolt->Ion Pulse->Ion Pulse->High Impact Bolt->Ion Pulse->Ion Pulse->High Impact Bolt-> Stockstrike-> High Impact Bolt

Now this is still an incredibly lucky scenario because the initial StockStrike proc. and took about 12 seconds and all our resources to pull off, though against most light armor enemies this would likely last about 5-7 seconds instead, maybe more for tanky enemies. This is assuming it was a nice one on one fight and not a team fight where taunts, CC, etc would wreck us. Also unlike a lot of other classes we lack much mobility and if things go sour and our luck during our rotation doesn't turn out for the best we have no real means of running away besides our 4 second stun.

When we get lucky we can get the Bolt every other attack, but this rarely happens and again, the Bolt is White damage so it's armor penetration is compromised by the fact it can be shielded, dodged, etc, though the high damage from crits is satisfying when everything works out. however for the other 62.5% of rotations it's a combination of average, unimpressive proc rotations or flat out low damage/high heat suicides because of bad luck. More often then not we end fights needing to book it to the nearest corner and recover because our resources are all used up. Leaving our only damage as our lousy dot from the canister/ammo.

The reason I like the Powertech/Vanguard class is because of the risk verse reward factor, it's a class that relies a lot on luck and so every battle is a bit interesting. The Pyro class is a huge gamble, which is why a lot of people opt for hybrids for survivability at expense of really high, unreliable burst. Nothing about this class is broken as nothing super powerful about the Pyro is remotely reliable.

TL;DR

Pyro's damage is ENTIRELY based on lucky procs, and this luck is actually stacked AGAINST the PT/Vanguard using the build. Just because someone got a lucky rotation off is no excuse to call for nerfs, especially when the class as opposed to sorcs/sages and some other classes has little mobility and virtually no escape mechanism.

Edited by Arnagrim